Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
A scammer robbed 100$ from me in steam - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Technical Support (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: A scammer robbed 100$ from me in steam (/showthread.php?tid=4071)

A scammer robbed 100$ from me in steam - FlashPoint - 01-09-2021

Hi people
Something painful happened to me, a guy in steam sent me a message just about 10 days ago, asked me to click on a link to give rate to his CSGO team.
I just clicked but didn’t do the rest of the process and ignored him.

This morning I got an email from me, a report that showed I have bought a cheap CSGO item for the price of my whole steam wallet (about 100 dollars) I just shocked and created a steam support ticket, and also found that that asshole has sent same message to my other friend.

Please be careful, the website he sent me was flastcrown . Net

Guys is there any chance in this for me to get that back? U know it’s what I can earn in 1 or sometimes 2 months.
Do anyone have any suggestion for me?
A better way to ask steam maybe or any other way if you had such experience?

I would be appreciated thanks

RE: A scammer robbed 100$ from me in steam - Phantom - 01-09-2021

Yeah I also clicked on the link. I have 2FA enable on Steam (highly recommend with Steam app so they can't login with just password) and ended up changing my password. I read supposively it auto downloads a trojan to your computer although I think my Brave browser have settings to not allow auto download of anything unless I permit it to so I haven't downloaded anything. 

I'm not sure how to get the 100 back, you'll probably have to contact steam support somehow, but for security purposes, I recommend everyone enable 2FA on all their accounts, use a password generator or something for their accounts (Keepass, 1Password, Bitwarden, etc), and probably have some blocking mechanism on their browser just in case. Social engineering of hacking been getting more clever.

RE: A scammer robbed 100$ from me in steam - Den - 01-10-2021

You can try steam support friend but it will be in their hands especially without 2 Factor Authentication (2FA).

As Phantom said above, definitely get the mobile phone app and enable 2 Factor Authentication! I also recommend reading a few articles around the web on social engineering, phishing and other threats on the web!

It happened now with some steam bucks but improving your awareness to threats could save you something more valuable in the future!

A scammer robbed 100$ from me in steam - FlashPoint - 01-11-2021

Ah thanks for replying guys. Yes my steam guard and phone app and Authenticator and everything was working, But I never received Any notification or email about buying or selling trades, steam only sent me email when everything was gone, their damn system didn’t work properly.

Unfortunately steam replied me for no hope here is their reply.
I told them the money is still in steam wallet and we know based on their terms that steam wallet is not real money, can’t be withdrawn:

“As or the market purchase, all Community Market transactions are final and cannot be reversed or refunded. When an item is purchased from the Community Market, the cost is sent from the buyer's Steam wallet to the seller's. Reversing these purchases would mean we have to take funds out of the seller's wallet, creating confusion and possible purchasing issues across Steam.

I'm sorry we can't be of more help with this, but we don't reverse or refund Community Market purchases and sales.”

RE: A scammer robbed 100$ from me in steam - McGregor - 01-11-2021

Sorry but I'm confused, what has actually happened? You clicked a link and then days later "auto-purchased" a CSGO skin for $100 from your Steam wallet, right? But you also say that you told Steam the money is still in your wallet?
Isn't this supposed to be impossible with 2FA?

A scammer robbed 100$ from me in steam - Variable - 01-11-2021

It would make sense if Flashpoint logged in to the site in the link. Are you sure you didn’t do it Flashpoint? Otherwise I don’t see how someone would gain access to your account, even if it wasn’t 2FA protected.

A scammer robbed 100$ from me in steam - FlashPoint - 01-11-2021

(01-11-2021, 11:30 AM)McGregor Wrote: Sorry but I'm confused, what has actually happened? You clicked a link and then days later "auto-purchased" a CSGO skin for $100 from your Steam wallet, right? But you also say that you told Steam the money is still in your wallet?
Isn't this supposed to be impossible with 2FA?

Yes that happened, I meant the money is in steam wallet system, means my unwanted bought CSGO item is now sold to other guy (I know him he’s name is in purchase market history) and the charged money is in his wallet, it’s not possible to make them to real cache, so steam can track and give it back to the victim (me) and charge back the guy who bought it, but as the steam support said they are lazy to do this.

(01-11-2021, 03:22 PM)Variable Wrote: It would make sense if Flashpoint logged in to the site in the link. Are you sure you didn’t do it Flashpoint? Otherwise I don’t see how someone would gain access to your account, even if it wasn’t 2FA protected.

I just opened the link, my Firefox opened, showed an error, I told the guy sorry I couldn’t vote you an error appeared.
Then about 10 days later I get robbed