Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Hummus recepie - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Offtopic (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Hummus recepie (/showthread.php?tid=3024)

Hummus recepie - Watchmen - 06-05-2015

My family is coming over next week and we're having a middle eastern style dinner. My brother are in charge of dinner so we decided on lamb, bread and curries but i also want to prepare some Hummus as a side dish since I think its typically served as a side dish or appetizer. I got a bottle of tahini and the beans but I'm still looking for a good home made recipe. Anybody got a good one or ideas for what other dishes to add?

Re: Hummus recepie - alias - 06-05-2015

If we give you a recipe can we come over too? Big Grin

Jokes aside, i'm clueless in kitchen, but maybe others can help.

Re: Hummus recepie - Phantom - 06-05-2015

Damn, I don't bake or cook, but a good buddy of mine I train parkour with bakes a lot of yummy food.

Re: Hummus recepie - doveman - 06-05-2015

Tahini is quite hard to get right. If you get the proportions of ingredients wrong it ends up tasting foul. It's fantastic when done right though, so if you can find some ready made to buy I'd suggest doing that. It's what I ended up doing after I tried making some myself Smile

Otherwise I think falafel is less likely to come out really bad. It still takes the right recipe to taste really nice, as my friend who went to Israel and came back raving about how much better the falafel there tasted than anything he'd had from a takeaway over here can testify but you should be able to make some that's OK at least.

Damn I'm hungry now. I need to visit the Jewish bagel shop in Brick Lane soon and get me some of their delicious cream cheese and salmon bagels and apple strudel. Mmmmm!

Re: Hummus recepie - Watchmen - 06-05-2015

(06-05-2015, 09:04 AM)doveman link Wrote: Tahini is quite hard to get right. If you get the proportions of ingredients wrong it ends up tasting foul. It's fantastic when done right though, so if you can find some ready made to buy I'd suggest doing that. It's what I ended up doing after I tried making some myself Smile
I know! I've tried a few recipes i found but they all include sour ingredients like red peppers and lemon juice as main ingredients to go with the garbonzo beans. What i made ended up making just tasted sour because the beans and tahini were too bland to balance the flavors. There was that and i just cant get the texture right, i turned out dry and sandy not the smooth and oily way it is supposed to be like when i had some at a restaurant made by a chef who came from Egypt.

Re: Hummus recepie - Variable - 06-05-2015

I know nothing about making hummus but I make tahini (or t'hinah, as it's called here) once a week, it's good for growing kids (but makes me fat). All I do is mix 500 grams raw tahini with water, in a ratio of about 1:1, squeeze half a lemon and add one tea spoon of garlic. I need to mix it A LOT until the mixture goes sooth, it will first look chunky, than grainy but eventually turn out plain sooth, be patient.

Re: Hummus recepie - Watchmen - 06-05-2015

Variable, but how does it become smooth unless you add some kind of oil or butter? If you just add water won't it turn out pasty, you know, like raw cake mix.

Re: Hummus recepie - Variable - 06-05-2015

No, the water makes it eatable. If you won't add water it will be very hard to consume and will get stuck in your teeth. You can add a little bit of olive oil, but only for taste.