Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Outlawz7's missions workshop - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Mission Releases (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Outlawz7's missions workshop (/showthread.php?tid=2393)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Outlawz7's missions workshop - Outlawz7 - 06-24-2013

Feedback welcome

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - Variable - 06-25-2013

Thanks Outlawz!
How many missions are you planning for this campaign? ~ Five missions and above and we can consider adding Vostok to the addon requirements.

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - Outlawz7 - 06-25-2013

Not sure yet, I'm at mission 3 and realized I should start planning ahead, might change it to use CWR2 instead of wintercamo and backpack4all.

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - Outlawz7 - 07-14-2013

Something new with current addons. I decided to take the story from Clear and present danger movie and turn the action parts of the movie into missions.
Requires Lingor, Lingor units, TF86 Seals and CWR2.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35519913/co10_rcp01_firstact.lingor.pbo

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - Variable - 07-14-2013

(07-14-2013, 12:22 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Something new with current addons. I decided to take the story from Clear and present danger movie and turn the action parts of the movie into missions.
Requires Lingor, Lingor units, TF86 Seals and CWR2.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35519913/co10_rcp01_firstact.lingor.pbo
Cool! Finally a mission concept around this awesome movie. Will upload ASAP.

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - GG-Viktor Reznov - 07-14-2013

Sweet! Very eager to play.

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - Variable - 07-14-2013

What does RCP stand for?

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - Outlawz7 - 07-15-2013

So what did everyone think of the mission? CWR2 weapons or no, TF86 units or no?

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - Varanon - 07-15-2013

(07-15-2013, 03:56 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:So what did everyone think of the mission? CWR2 weapons or no, TF86 units or no?

Mission was cool. I like the fact that you limit it to the cold war times, so CWR2 weapons are good.

TF86 units will be able to carry backpacks, so I would stick with those IF you want to allow backpacks in later missions...

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - Variable - 07-15-2013

It depends how close you want to stick to the movie. Personally, I think that as much as you keep loyal to the source, the better the mission will be, even for those who didn't watch the movie.

As for the units - the Seals are a bit too much. I think the units in the movie are better represented by the vanilla force recon units. If you can pick the spanish looking ones and override the players custom faces it will be even better.

The weapons - The guys in the book and movie use M4s (no optics), M24, and SAW MGs, so I don't see the need in CWR2 weapons. They actually fail to represent the 90's era. Arma 2 vanilla weapons will do.

More comments:
Use co-pilots for each blackhawk. I think my chopper (Bravo) had only a pilot.
Add some soundtrack from the movie! Especially for the insertion...

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - Outlawz7 - 07-15-2013

The CWR2 UH60 FFAR doesn't have an actual copilot seat, so I can't move a pilot there, unless I use another version of the helicopter.

TF86 units can't carry backpacks (at least not without ACE).

USMC Force Recon have digital 2000s camo, I think SEAL Woodland are closer.

Nothing in the IMFDB about SAWs, just M60, but I'm ok with reverting to vanilla weapons.

I wanted to add some music, but I'm not even sure how many people have music on or would care.
There's also the conflict between having a several Mb mission download (I remember the FHQ mission on Hazar Kot where someone was loading in for the entire briefing cos the mission was 6Mb due to the custom textures) or an ultra-compressed (read: shit quality) music file playing.

I'm going off the movie, because I never came across the book. Considering most action pieces are centered around a few guys shooting or blowing something up, I find it hard to recreate them with 10 people doing it in a non-linear way.
For example, I really wanna include the awesome airstrike scene in one of the missions later on, but if you think about it, there's not much there to do game-wise, just point a laser designator, listen to some chatter and watch a hopefully brilliant VFX show.

So really, it's more of a "stuff you didn't see in the movie" thing where I can take liberties. For example, in the movie, after they blow up a drug plane, the druglord guy says "we lost another plane". So I could expand from that and make a mission where they blow up the previous plane(s).

Also, any opinions on having the mission lower the game sound while inside the helicopter? I'm not running JSRS, so I don't know if that addon does it differently, but pretty much all engine noise in ArmA forces me to lower my volume so I can hear TeamSpeak.

Outlawz7's missions workshop - Variable - 07-15-2013

(07-15-2013, 06:06 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:The CWR2 UH60 FFAR doesn't have an actual copilot seat, so I can't move a pilot there, unless I use another version of the helicopter.
Oh! Didn't know that. I say keep the FFAR version then.

(07-15-2013, 06:06 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Nothing in the IMFDB about SAWs, just M60, but I'm ok with reverting to vanilla weapons.
The SAW is mentioned a lot in the book as the weapon of Vega, one of Knife team.

(07-15-2013, 06:06 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:I wanted to add some music, but I'm not even sure how many people have music on or would care.
There's also the conflict between having a several Mb mission download (I remember the FHQ mission on Hazar Kot where someone was loading in for the entire briefing cos the mission was 6Mb due to the custom textures) or an ultra-compressed (read: shit quality) music file playing.
Long  loading times have nothing to do with large mission files. People with slow connection wait a lot on the 'receiving' status which is after the actual file download, and even 20mb big files download very fast (for example Sa0k missions which we never had any waiting problem with them).

(07-15-2013, 06:06 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:I'm going off the movie, because I never came across the book. Considering most action pieces are centered around a few guys shooting or blowing something up, I find it hard to recreate them with 10 people doing it in a non-linear way.
For example, I really wanna include the awesome airstrike scene in one of the missions later on, but if you think about it, there's not much there to do game-wise, just point a laser designator, listen to some chatter and watch a hopefully brilliant VFX show.

So really, it's more of a "stuff you didn't see in the movie" thing where I can take liberties. For example, in the movie, after they blow up a drug plane, the druglord guy says "we lost another plane". So I could expand from that and make a mission where they blow up the previous plane(s).
That's a good approach. Nonetheless, I really recommend the book.
The teams (Knife and another i cant remember its name) operated covertly in Columbia for a significant period of time, hitting targets according to constant intelligence and observations.
The laser designation scene- I would make it around the team has to get in fast to the overwatch position in order to not miss the drug lords' meeting. And LD a vehicle rather than the actual building to make it look like an inside job.
I can help with ideas from the book as it's filled with a lot more action scenes than the movie. 

(07-15-2013, 06:06 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Also, any opinions on having the mission lower the game sound while inside the helicopter? I'm not running JSRS, so I don't know if that addon does it differently, but pretty much all engine noise in ArmA forces me to lower my volume so I can hear TeamSpeak.
JSRS significantly lower chopper sounds for its passengers.

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - Variable - 07-16-2013

Correction:
I can help without ideas from the book as it's filled with a lot more action scenes than the movie. 

Re: Outlawz7's missions workshop - Outlawz7 - 07-19-2013

I managed to find an e-book version of Clear and Present danger, not much action in it aside from descriptions of boot camps and walking through jungle.

Doesn't mention gear much aside from the SAW and MP5s, M4s must have been a movie thing.

I welcome any mission/action setups from it if there are any, stopped reading halfway in.

Outlawz7's missions workshop - Variable - 07-19-2013

Naturally, most of the action are to the end of the book...
I read it when I was 15 but if I recall correctly these are the stuff that the covert teams did:
Sabotage of cocaine factories
Killing of drug mercenaries
Destroying drug smuggling planes
Relying drug smuggling planes to a fighter jet that shoots them down
Raiding a drug lord villa
Laser painting (the scene from the movie)

In any case, made up whatever you think fit a covert team fighting drug manufacturing in Columbia.
Good luck!