Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
DCS: World - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: DCS: World (/showthread.php?tid=2257)

Re: DCS: World - kutya - 09-17-2014

Try updating DCS World. FC2 shouldn't be needed anymore.

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 09-17-2014

What Kutya said, FC3 has no other dependencies beside DCS World. There are options in DCS to enable or disable modules, try looking there and see if something is wrong.

Module recognition is a bit messed up with DCS, for example, game believed I own FC3 for some reason when I bought F-15C as a separate module.

Re: DCS: World - Varanon - 09-17-2014

Thanks. Yeah, updating worked, and I can now play Flaming Cliffs... so I went ahead and also got Ground Forces and Black Shark 2 (wanted a heli sim for some time now).

The module concept seems a bit overengineered in DCS, that's for sure...

Interesting to see that they finally got Oculus Rift support in.. I tried, but the Rift DK1's resolution is too low, hard to read anything in the cockpit. I need to get that $10 headtracker running again, and for real this time... maybe it's time to look into the software side myself, everything up to now was pretty much not so good ™

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-17-2014

Glad you got it sorted. Welcome to the DCS club Smile

Yeah, everyone says the resolution's too low, even with the DK2, to be able to read the cockpit at the moment.

I've got my Pro Micro/GY-85 headtracker working fairly well now. They're looking at the firmware again to try and tidy it up, as it has some issues like taking several attempts of unplugging/re-connecting the USB before I can start it in FTNoIR, having to disconnect the USB if you click Stop in FTNoIR and then want to Start it again but once it's working, it seems to be OK. I want to get it working via Bluetooth next, to get rid of the USB cable but I tried modifying the firmware myself and it didn't work, so I'll probably have to wait for someone else to work it out.

I did originally use a MPU instead of the GY but that had issues with drift. If that's the chip you've got, you could try the EDtracker firmware http://edtracker.org.uk/ as opentrack has recently been updated to make it work properly with that https://www.dropbox.com/sh/544fbhsokdpy3n7/AAAkeuQl4dh66_q3df96MFHda/opentrack-win32-20140917.tar.xz?dl=0

I can't use opentrack at the moment as it doesn't have the HatIR plugin required for the GY-85/Pro Micro but as the EDTracker firmware makes the MPU/Pro Micro appear as a joystick device, that works with OT apparently.

Re: DCS: World - Varanon - 09-17-2014

(09-17-2014, 04:47 PM)doveman link Wrote:I did originally use a MPU instead of the GY but that had issues with drift.

Yeah, I am using an MPU-6050, and the problem is indeed drift. I could cope with a bit of drift, after all, FreeTrack offers a "recenter" key and the drift wasn't that severe... However, the axis mapping used to change from time to time, which was a real bummer... That's why I want to look into the software myself, since I have some background in these low-level things (just not enough time, sadly -_-)

I'll check the Edtracker firmware. Thanks for the hint.

Re: DCS: World - kutya - 09-17-2014

I use TrackIR. Not cheap (at least in the 3rd world), but I like it.

Doveman, to get rid of the USB cable, frooglesim on YT has an interesting solution. Get a USB battery and mount it on your headphones. I didn't try it out, because I use a wired headphone anyway.

[url=

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-17-2014

(09-17-2014, 06:43 PM)kutya link Wrote:I use TrackIR. Not cheap (at least in the 3rd world), but I like it.

Doveman, to get rid of the USB cable, frooglesim on YT has an interesting solution. Get a USB battery and mount it on your headphones. I didn't try it out, because I use a wired headphone anyway.

[url=

Don't worry Doveman, I'm sending you Tacview recording so you can analyze our performance during one and only training mission we played! I didn't notice that there was an update, but for some reason my DCS Multiplayer does not start anymore, I can only start it if I go to single player first and then chose Multiplayer.

Anyway, Kutya is really getting the hand of it while I have still something to learn when it comes to different weapons that Su-25T uses.

Nonetheless, it was good to fly together again and maybe next time we can already fly some real missions!

Tacview record as promised:

https://www.mediafire.com/?wakohd06p920e9a

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-18-2014

Thanks Misha, I'll enjoy watching that.

Yeah, Kutya's showing us how it's meant to be done isn't he Wink I thought his IL2 experience would give him an edge but it sounds like he's been practicing more than us as well, so we'll have to try and catch up with him  ;D

Re: DCS: World - kutya - 09-18-2014

Just put one MANPAD in the mission and I'm dead Smile

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-18-2014

Actually, watching the TacView I thought you both did pretty well Smile

Just me who needs to catch up then. Gotta practice those landings  ;D

I started a poll on the DCS forum to gather opinions on whether people welcomed the change in folder name, despite it causing mods and community tools to no longer work until they're fixed/updated and having no purpose, other than to correct a misspelling that's been there since DCS World was launched many years ago which I've never seen anyone comment on, or if they were annoyed by this pointless but very inconvenient change, or if they had no strong opinion either way. Last time I checked the results were something like 15-4-15 but now some moderator has decided it's unacceptable to gather feedback for ED on how their customers feel about this change and has deleted my thread, without even sending me a message to explain why. ED and their representatives seem to be determined to piss me off and their doing a pretty good job!

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 09-18-2014

Woah, that's very unreasonable from their side. I mean, why having a forum if you cannot talk about the game, or even criticize? Why they don't want users feedback?

Re: DCS: World - kutya - 09-18-2014

I noticed a couple times on the ED boards, that criticizing or even critical suggestions aren't allowed. I suppose they fear the community might turn against them, like it happened for BIS when Arma1 came out. The Dark Ages Smile On the other hand, in the meantime we got Arma2 and Arma3 which are way better than 1. So I don't really believe in oppressing the community that is actually paying for your jobs Smile

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-19-2014

Yeah, I don't know why they should fear criticism. Games like ArmA and DCS World don't really have any competitors, so it's not like people can just move to an alternative. Perhaps that makes the devs arrogant though, like they feel they can do what they like and users just have to put up with it.

Generally it's not too awful on the forum but sometimes you do get a lot of fanboys shooting you down for any criticism. It's like they're worried that the devs might get upset and go off in a huff and stop making the sim!