Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
DCS: World - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: DCS: World (/showthread.php?tid=2257)

Re: DCS: World - kutya - 09-08-2014

I don't know almost anything about the mission editor, but changing the planes from cold start, to takeoff start is easy. I have to go, but it can be selected in the units properties window, don't have time to open it now.

BTW I'd like to play from cold start, and for the Su-25 (dunno about Su-25T) it's really just turning on electronics and the 2 engines if I'm correct.

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 09-08-2014

Yes, from ramp start to lift off is about 3-4 minutes at most.

Su-25T start up procedure:
Electric power on: RShift + L
Engine Left Start: RAlt + HomeEngine
Right Start: RCtrl + Home

Ground maneuvers:
page-up, page-down keys to engine thrust increase/decrease, respectively
z and x to steer on the ground if you don't have adequate controllers
w key for breaking while on the ground
f key - flaps, lower one step for take off

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-08-2014

(09-08-2014, 03:41 PM)Misha link Wrote:If you could make just in case Su-25T mission with eight slots or more, with ground and air start, that would be nice. It can be something simple, but I guess we need also to have waypoints for navigation which need to be added to the mission. I don't know anything about mission editor, and all I can do is look for missions.

I'll try but I very much don't know much! Ground start should be easy but air start gets more complicated, as I'd have to set altitude, speed, heading, etc and not sure how to do that. I'll probably end up with some planes in the air without any power and you'll have to do a cold start before hitting the ground Wink

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-08-2014

(09-08-2014, 06:11 PM)Misha link Wrote:f key - flaps, lower one step for take off

I think you have to use LShift+F to set flaps to landing/take-off position. F just toggles between the other two positions.

Don't forget to request permission to start engines and to taxi and takeoff from ATC as well, otherwise they get annoyed and might not talk to you any more Wink

If I get the time I may throw together a mission by then. Just the basic go here and shoot stuff. I suppose it's better if we start with daytime and clear weather. Altough some night ops sound tempting Smile My night flight experience in DCS is around 5 minutes, before I crashed to the ground. Altough the Su-25 (no HUD) I think isn't really for night flying.

F switches between normal and take-off. Shift-F switches to landing (lower than take-off).

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-09-2014

(09-08-2014, 10:13 PM)kutya link Wrote:F switches between normal and take-off. Shift-F switches to landing (lower than take-off).

I could have sworn the take-off tutorial (which I played the other day in an attempt to not appear a complete noob on Wednesday) told me to use to Shift+F before takeoff but I'll check that.

Mind you, I'm not sure the tutorials are right about much as the bombing one wouldn't let me drop the bomb and the landing one had me approaching the runway at a right-angle  :o It's hard enough without the tutorials messing me about  ;D

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-09-2014

(09-08-2014, 09:15 PM)kutya link Wrote:If I get the time I may throw together a mission by then. Just the basic go here and shoot stuff. I suppose it's better if we start with daytime and clear weather. Altough some night ops sound tempting Smile My night flight experience in DCS is around 5 minutes, before I crashed to the ground. Altough the Su-25 (no HUD) I think isn't really for night flying.

That'll be cool if you can. We need something simple to start with Wink

Yeah, I'd save the night flights for something like the KA-50 or A-10C, I think they work pretty good at night (as long as you remember your NVG!) Maybe the FC3 aircraft as well but I haven't tried them at night yet.

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 09-10-2014

I uploaded some mp missions in case some else wants to host or has better bandwidth.

Just put them in:
DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Su-25T\Missions\EN\Multiplayer

See you today (Wednesday), I'll be on TS from about 1940 CET.

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-10-2014

(09-10-2014, 03:18 AM)Misha link Wrote:I uploaded some mp missions in case some else wants to host or has better bandwidth.

Just put them in:
DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Su-25T\Missions\EN\Multiplayer

See you today (Wednesday), I'll be on TS from about 1940 CET.

Thanks for the missions. My bandwidth is no better than yours but I'll download them in case you have trouble hosting. Got offered a good deal on Fibre Broadband when I told my ISP (BT) I was switching to Sky but it would still mean paying £23/month for phone line rental and 38/19 Mb and as Sky is effectively giving me phone line rental and ADSL 20/1 Mb for free for 12 months, it would probably be more cost effective to pay for a hosted server to run DCS. I don't think that's possible before DCS 2.0 with Dedicated Server comes along though.

I didn't get very far making a free-flight mission from scratch. It seems you have to recreate the waypoints for each aircraft you put down, which is rather tedious and it should just let you associate more than one aircraft with a set of waypoints. Most of the decent youtube videos seem to be in German though, so I might be overlooking something!

Anyway, I edited this mission from Dragon's Trainingpack and removed the KA-50 and changed the A-10C to SU-25T or SU-25. When you start it gives you several routes of airfields to fly between and at some airfields I put SU-25 and others SU-25T, so depending on which one we want to fly, we just pick an appropriate airport. I had a quick play with the SU-25 and it's quite a bit harder to fly without any HUD  :o

EDIT: Oh yeah, I stumbled across this list, so there might be some missions on there we can use in future
https://docs.google.com/a/stoptheviolence.co.uk/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AomhBRFU6XeddFdjWkxhUXVxd3pQMFI0aWgtYXpWY3c&output=html

Re: DCS: World - kutya - 09-10-2014

http://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit

At the right side there is "Download the latest version of the training map here!". I think this is exactly what we need for start.

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 09-11-2014

We had a terrific DCS session last night, if you are thinking about getting up in the air please don't hesitate, you will be in a good company!

Sure, there are few things we need to take care of like: more extensive training, finding smaller scale missions, adjusting server settings, but we have a solid base.

I guess we'll continue to fly Su-25T for now because it's simple to handle and everyone has it.

I have recorded some videos from the session, but will have to edit them (much of it are just planes on fire Smile).

So, till next Wednesday!

[url=

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-11-2014

(09-11-2014, 02:26 AM)Misha link Wrote:I have recorded some videos from the session, but will have to edit them (much of it are just planes on fire Smile).

lol, that'll be me then. Hope you got my graceful descent into the sea after I shutdown the flaming engine and ejected, just before it sank under the waves  ;D

Good fun nonetheless though. Probably best to stick to the SU-25T for now, as there's still a lot we have to learn about operating the weapons. I'll try and knock up some simple missions with individual targets for each of us a bit apart, so we can practice bombing them together. I might try and include some of the other aircraft as well, just in case anyone wants to hop into something different for a bit of a change/fun from learning the SU-25T but that's what I'll focus on.

Re: DCS: World - kutya - 09-11-2014

Yea it was a fun event. But we all need some practice to be able to fully complete a mission, which includes shooting targets and landing Big Grin
I agree that we use the SU-25T for now (adding other planes won't hurt though). And I'm for a slower pace, so maybe we would know what are we doing Smile But again, that may be just a lack of practice from my side (I have total of a couple hours of flight in DCS at most).

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-11-2014

This mission looks like it will be very useful, as it allows us to spawn targets to practice with:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116457

This might be a bit advanced for us now but might be good to try in the future:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116961

You can get slmod here http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2128411&postcount=681%7CSLMod You just need to unzip the net folder into your saved games\dcs\scripts and then next time you run DCS (might need to start a mission), it will create a saved games\dcs\slmod folder. In there, there'll be a missions folder, so put any missions you want to play on the server in there.

It keeps player stats, which might be useful (or embarassing!) and allows you to change the mission via the chat window (type "-admin load") and various other admin stuff.

Another really cool thing is Tacview, which records the data from each flight and allows you to watch it back in 2D later to see what happened and learn lessons. http://lomac.strasoftware.com/tacview-download-en.php

Once you've installed it and enabled "Record [DCS World] flights" you don't need to keep Tacview running.