Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
DCS: World - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: DCS: World (/showthread.php?tid=2257)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

RE: DCS: World - Misha - 09-15-2016

ATC is on vacation. Sky is the limit! Let's go!

RE: DCS: World - Manuel - 09-16-2016

Sweet, I'll try to have some missions ready Smile

RE: DCS: World - Misha - 09-17-2016

There's a nice sale over at DCS website (40% off). Wonder if I should buy Nevada. I haven't been impressed with it so far but if you have missions for it? I guess eventually I will buy it anyway, but I'm wondering shall I buy some plane instead now.

RE: DCS: World - Manuel - 09-17-2016

(09-17-2016, 04:39 PM)Misha Wrote: There's a nice sale over at DCS website (40% off). Wonder if I should buy Nevada. I haven't been impressed with it so far but if you have missions for it? I guess eventually I will buy it anyway, but I'm wondering shall I buy some plane instead now.

The map looks great, it is just dessert though (well, it's Nevada...). I don't have any missions for it because I'm the only one here who has it. Given the demand I could start making them though. And there are some single player campaigns available for the map.

If I were in your position I would probably wait for the Strait of Hormuz or Normandie map because I would guess that more of us are going to buy those.

If you decide for Nevada though let me know, I can come up with some missions Smile

RE: DCS: World - Etzu - 09-17-2016

Going to be a bit late for today -- maybe an hour or so

RE: DCS: World - Manuel - 09-19-2016

Nice flying last Saturday. Here's my quick AAR

Warm-up
Misha and I spent some time on my free-for-all test and training map (a reconstruction of Sithis' training map, I don't have the original :/ ) Nothing special to report...

The Dropzone Game (UH-1)
The idea was to have a quick and simple setup to practice infantry drop-offs with the Huey. Unfortunately some bug caused DCS to crash each time we arrived at the LZ and disembarked the troops. I don't have a good idea what causes this but I suspect the disembark function...
This is too bad because I was looking forward to trying this. My intention would be to repeat it over time and try to get faster (with the time limit for the LZ getting shorter and shorter...). I hope it can be fixed.

No Return (A10C)
The players (all A10Cs) have to fly to an AO and clear it of anything that is dangerous to a group of Hueys which are inbound to deliver infantry. The catch is that the choppers are already en route and there is only about 30 minutes left to do the job.
I think we were just way to rusty to do this. Also the targets were pretty hard to spot in this terrain. I still think the mission would be doable as it was with good coordination and practice. We lack both right now so I toned down the number of threats and their spread. If you guys want to give this another chance I would also put in some time for extra polishing. I figure it could be a nice mission once the balancing fits our current skill-level...

[Image: 2TFT4zk.jpg]
Near-invisible target (can you tell what it is?)

[Image: 1rC9yDE.jpg]
Greetings from uncle SAM (see wing surface...)

Castle Crusher (A10C and SA342M)
A shit-ton of targets including SAM and AAA threats, your choice of either A10C or Gazelle and as many rearms as you like. Basically a shooting range that shoots back.
I had lot's of fun picking out targets with the Gazelle at first. Sneeking in well within the range of SAMs but below their radar to shoot down whatever comes in sight while using buildings for cover and punching some 15 to 30 tons above your own weight class (2 ton helicopter vs. Shilkas, APCs, MBTs...) is some of the best fun I ever had in DCS Smile
On my 4th or 5th run a BMP got me with it's AT missile, so I switched to an A10 to take my revenge...
The mission worked pretty much as I intended. I wanted to make it necessary to make carefull and planned-out approaches to remove AA threats before being able to pick out helpless little battle tanks and similar stuff. I only removed the manpads afterwards, I felt that they go against the carefull-planning spirit. You have almost no chance to spot them before you go in and ground fire would make it almost impossible for a wingman to engage them after they fired (and gave away their location). I think I'll design a different training-scenario for that kind of thing.

[Image: 5WQ65Tp.jpg]
Now you see it...

[Image: SX4cG9d.jpg]
...now you don't

[Image: oodYA0u.jpg]
Dragon's den

[Image: BEaCF4C.jpg]
F/A10C

I would love to hear your feedback for the missions/ideas. Sorry that they didn't all work out as planned, I'll see to make it better for next time. And if you have ideas/suggestions I can work it in Smile

RE: DCS: World - Manuel - 09-24-2016

Since Etzu has joined the ranks of Mirage Pilots (aka me...) I've prepared some training scenarios for the occasion.

Is anybody else up for some flying? I'm happy to accomodate other airplanes as well Smile

RE: DCS: World - Misha - 09-24-2016

(09-24-2016, 03:41 PM)Manuel Wrote: Since Etzu has joined the ranks of Mirage Pilots (aka me...) I've prepared some training scenarios for the occasion.

Is anybody else up for some flying? I'm happy to accomodate other airplanes as well Smile

Thought about buying Mirage, since it's still on sale and I got some surprise money. But still, realistically how much I am going to fly that thing beside Saturdays. Still fighting with myself!

Oh, and yeah see you tonight.

RE: DCS: World - Manuel - 09-26-2016

AAR
CiA's first (virtual) trip to Nevada/Las Vegas! Queue Dean Martin for maximum effect ()

Nevada Test and Training (M2000C)
Most of the time of the last DCS night was spent on Etzu's Mirage primer. I hope I was of help there. The sooner Etzu's mission ready, the sooner the real fun starts Smile
We focused mainly on AA combat, radara and missile operations and some basic aircraft operations and navigation stuff. The M2000C is not a complicated or overly complex aircraft (especially compared to something like the A10C, I'm still not done learning new stuff there...) but it's still a bit much to teach in one evening. We can do some more AA and maybe some basic AG stuff next time.

In the mean time Misha was quite busy stalling the MiG21 engine and exploring Vegas. I hope it wasn't too boring for you while we were busy with flight school stuff. Did you find the practice ground or air targets? Anyways, I've updated the mission with the FC3 aircraft, so you'll have a broader selection next time.

I'd suggest some more sightseeing next time Wink
I guess you've seen the strip by now, but next time we could head for Boulder City and fly down the Hoover damn into the Grand Canyon Top Gun style...

[Image: cjzZfmC.jpg]
Finally not alone anymore Smile

[Image: 2OFUCpy.jpg]
Fly-by at Groom Lake AFB (aka Area 51)

[Image: QRRTTU5.jpg]
Etzu on his way to low-earth-orbit (Image taken at ~50,000 feet)

No Return (A10C)
I've changed the mission since our last try and I think it was for the better. Since Misha had to leave before we started we tried it with only two of four planes. As a result we failed again, but not by that much. There were still quite a few targets in the AO, but I think with one or two more players it would have been very much doable. I'm looking forward to trying it again with at least 3 planes, that should do it Smile

A short summary of what went down: me and Etzu took off from the Vaziana AFB and made our way to the AO near Naoza. We soon spotted first armored targets and AAA near a large camp site. I started taking out the AAA I could find from a distance with Mavericks while Etzu went in a bit closer to 'disable' APCs. In the process he successfully dodged quite a number of SAMs, until he didn't. At that point we were both pretty low, or better to say out of, missiles and bombs.
After that I tried to go in for a gun run, which did not work out. I was hit by AAA fire (must have overlooked one earlier...) and had to limp home with one engine. Etzu met a similar fate, as far as I understood the situation, but couldn't gain enough altitude on a single engine to clear nearby hill tops. He had to eject. I managed to limp back to Vaziana and land safely. I did however not know that my front wheel was blown, so I landed on a stump (the main gear was ok though...). I'm guessing the helicopter group must have arrived the still hot AO right around that time. I don't think they (would have) made it.

I forgot to take any screenshots in this one, so...bonus Mirage?

[Image: T2Qo7HY.jpg]
Noir Un

[Image: 9DN1RI4.jpg]
The Murage!

RE: DCS: World - Misha - 09-28-2016

Sorry for not writing. I wouldn't change missions much. They were maybe too challenging, but it's us that need to become better and here's motivation to do just that. Also, I like the idea of shooting range that shoots back, though here I would like to have less enemies and maybe it won't be bad to have a version that puts target in more open are. So current version we can use to practice attacking targets in the urban area, but the other we can use for more open spaces where it is easier to distinguish enemies. 

I failed to buy Mirage and now the sale is over Sad

Coming up, a real photo of gremlin in action!

RE: DCS: World - Etzu - 10-15-2016

Anyone up for some flying?

RE: DCS: World - Manuel - 10-15-2016

(10-15-2016, 05:21 AM)Etzu Wrote: Anyone up for some flying?

I think so, I'm not sure I'll make it by 2000 CET though.

How's your Mirage familiarization coming along? I have a view simple missions for it.

RE: DCS: World - Misha - 10-15-2016

Sorry, very very busy today... Next week will try to plan ahead and be there!

RE: DCS: World - Etzu - 10-15-2016

Maybe a little bit later then Manuel? 2200? We can do some Mirage on Nevada? I haven't dedicated much time to more Mirage training..

RE: DCS: World - Manuel - 10-15-2016

(10-15-2016, 03:58 PM)Etzu Wrote: Maybe a little bit later then Manuel? 2200? We can do some Mirage on Nevada? I haven't dedicated much time to more Mirage training..

I think I'll be ready by 2100, 2200 is ok as well.

Mirage/Nevada sounds good. I would suggest doing some AA training/missions. I think it would be interesting to try and see if we manage to actually work together in a dogfight, should be quite challenging...