Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
DCS: World - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: DCS: World (/showthread.php?tid=2257)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 02-22-2016

Looks like you've been having some fun on Saturday! I can only envy you, because I was stuck with work, lack of sleep, and terrible hangover for the most of the day.

After seeing those pics, they make me wanna get that P-51.

Training sessions are indeed a good idea. If and when we need them we can schedule an extra night reserved only for training so we can pass the knowledge to each other.

Okay, I will make some priorities for next Saturday, nothing's going to stand in my way!

Re: DCS: World - Sithis - 02-22-2016

You could try out the free TF51 and see how it suits you or even "Wild-Weasel" fo us  ;D

I dont think the influx of new players is big enough yet to warrant a training night, but that should not stop anybody. I will put the training map on git by next saturday for everybody to use. Sadly my only night in the week that I can use for flying is saturday, so if you want to fly more I wont be able to make it. However if anybody needs a tutorial or wants to do some extra flying I could make some time on sunday mornings Wink

Re: DCS: World - Sithis - 02-24-2016

SATURDAY DCS NIGHT!

Same time same place. Unnamed might even provide a dedicated server for us. Looks like we are going places  Wink

We could do some warm up on the new training map and I will fix Habicht, so we can play the second part of that mission. Also there will be a few simple P51/F86/Uh-1 ground attack missions. Any other wishes, any other missions in the pipeline?

Re: DCS: World - UnNamedGER - 02-24-2016

sorry, but the idea i had for a dedicated server doesn't seem to work unfortunately, will have to try something else.
DCS needs DirectX to run, thats where installing it on a VM on our NAS fails as it doesnt support directx unfortunately... when thex finally release a dedicated server tool with version 2 i should be able to install a server on the NAS

Re: DCS: World - Manuel - 02-24-2016

No need to shout, man...

Mirror mirror on the wall... also 'Shadow on the sun' is updated (zeus instead of shilkas)

How about a list of aerobatic maneuvers we can try/practice?

I'll just start in no particular order:

-Tight formation (well, not really a maneuver, but something to practice nontheless)
-looping
-aileron roll
-corkscrew
-lazy eight
-cuban eight
-immelman
-splits (depending on number of aircrafts) and rejoins

some inspiration
https://www.iac.org/legacy/aerobatic-figures

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 02-27-2016

Ich liebe am Samstag fliegen!

Checklist complete, see you there!

Re: DCS: World - Etzu - 02-27-2016

Btw, sale directly on DCS site for the next week! I picked up f15 and a10c, but need time to learn them.

Re: DCS: World - UnNamedGER - 02-27-2016

I know a great instructor for the systems of the a-10c who taught me in record time

Re: DCS: World - UnNamedGER - 02-27-2016

@ Stag how is the Stick situation ? ^^

Re: DCS: World - Stagwine - 02-27-2016

Unfortunately still unresolved  :-\ . I have been reading your AARs with great envy (not only talking of the cigars)

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 02-27-2016

Of course I am going to be late but not much.

At least I remembered to update DCS so there will be no waiting once I'm home.

Re: DCS: World - UnNamedGER - 02-28-2016

Habicht

finally some A10 action again. Sithis was JTAC and send us to different targets that were attacking his outpost. it went quite well for a time until we were to attack a AAA position in a vilage a bit to his north.
I though i had seen its position when following in Manuel on his first run, but when i tried to get it afterwards turned out I was wrong. the fucked up thermal image and the insufficient coordinates (guess we need more digits) brought me too close tho the AAA and I got my self shot down, but was able to eject.
afterwards the others tried to hunt a Convoi closing in with several Tunguska and Shilka. turned out I was not the only one having problems Spotting stuff  but when i was jsut taking off i was able to listen to manuel running in and sithis calling out missile launches for him to evade. he managed to evade 6 rockets on 3 runs and even evaded one when he was out of chaff and flares... lucky basard xD
when I was back on station i got my sights on the convoi and did a run in on the convoi firing six mavericks at a subotimal range and picture as something started launching rockets at me (which should have told me it wasnt AI as they only fire if you have your back on them or are going directly for them). I hit two vehicles and some trees arround my missiles had locked on to. later I tried a run with rockets, had i noticed the AI was behavind weird I wouldnt have done that but this way I was shot down while unloading my rockets in the general direction iof the convoi and had to eject again.

Outpost

While our AFAC A-10 was still warming up I took my P-51 to the air to get me a clear picture. I saw tracers coming up and holes being shot into my left wing and after finding the friendly outpost started searching for the shooter. after a little while it started firing at me again and i had a location to attack. I got a little close and ripped of half a wing on the ground or the target and thus found out that the p-51 is quite stable with 3/4 of its original wingspan and one half wing on fire. I managed to get it on the ground but made a mistake to brake too early. i rolled arround a bit but survived and was able to get out of the plane. was quite fun Big Grin .

Korean Bridge

I am really starting to love the P51 and loved this mission. Sithis(P51) and me(P51) went for the northern convoi after spraying the southern convoi to slow it down a bit for Manuel(P51) and Misha(Uh-1).
I fucked up my first run as I had not spotted the convoi myself and searched for it in the wrong part of the town so Sithis had the first run on the convoi and disabled the AAA truck. on my second run I came in following the same road as the convoi and was able to spray them with rockets and gun. sithis and me then did runs quickly following up on each other thanks to the agile P51 and had the convoi quickly destroyed.
We then turned south to help mob up a few enemy vehicles of the southern convoi which did blend in with the background a little too well. Afterwards most of us landed well back in Batumi.

Training map

we fooled arround on the training map a bit more in the end tried some buddylasing with the A-10 for the M2000 and generally just played with the different aircraft and targets.

GBU10 about to impact on APC MTLB
[Image: COWXkPI.jpg]

Re: DCS: World - Sithis - 02-28-2016

Good morning gentlemen, its AAR time.

First of all lets celebrate FIVE HOGS IN THE AIR SHALALALA!
Training
We started on the training map, which was able to serve its purpose today since we needed to go through our attack procedure with a four ship formation. We did some formations first, which were not really up to airshow standarts, but close enough together to get us from A to B and still be called a formation.
Afterwards we attack the easy targets and were able to get a proper cycle of attack, cover and holding working pretty quickly, even though we suffered some losses to AAA.
Then we all suicided into the AAA to remind ourselves "Ground bad, Long-range weapons good"

Hawg 1-4 taking off with Hawg 1-1 and Hawg 1-2 holding short of the RWY
[Image: DM2cuxJ.jpg?1]

Four A10c in formation mid turn
[Image: HbC1yrj.jpg?1]

Habicht
We finally had the full set of pilots available for this mission with four A10c in the air and one JTAC. We had a mix of different targets and some complex situations, but Manuel did a great job coordinating as Boar 1-1.
As JTAC I had time to take pictures and play around with the command tool, which gave me some ideas for future missions since it is really not that hard to command half an army RTS style. Also you can switch enemy AA on and off and even take control of it directly. Pretty impossible to escape once the OSA got you visual and only switches its radar once when you are well within range.

Boar 1 on the apron
[Image: odH8xoV.jpg?1]

Boar 1-1 going defensive against two missles launched by an OSA
[Image: CPyX9to.jpg?1]

Boar 1-2: RIFLE,RIFLE,RIFLE!!!
[Image: UiREd2B.jpg?1]

Outpost
The initial trigger did not work.
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I will fix this till next week.

Korean Bridge P51
Instead of 4 P51 we used 3 and one UH-1. As flightlead I decided to split the our forces on the two convoys and I think it worked pretty well. Even though we had one rough landing  Wink

All grown up
I was so happy we finally had four people with four F86 to attack the enemy formation, but bloody hell we did not even make it on the third try. Part of it has to do with the AI Mig15 not really reacting to damage until it explodes and it beeing able to withstand a good 5 seconds of constant .50cal hits, but I also think when we do highspeed stuff like that we should keep our radio traffic shorter, more precise and maintain radio dicipline, because there was a lot of unneeded chatter that did not help anyone and was often times distracting from the important bits of information.

Sabres attacking
[Image: lKfDvGX.jpg?1]

Training
Since it was late and we were all loosing concentration fast we decided to fool around with the Sabre and try some formations. After noticing how twitchy it is I would argue to use the P-51 for aerobatics instead. Misha advised to lower the sensitivity on the joystick and I will try that, but the aircraft itself is not very stable.

Four F86 Sabre on the apron
[Image: m2K7ZSa.jpg?1]

All in all great flying despite the technical difficulties. I am looking forward to what you will have to say about the missions themselves and what to improve.

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 02-28-2016

Finally I get to write some AAR.

Habicht

Of course I know how to steer the A-10C, it's just the game does not acknowledge it. DCS is a weird beast, and seems that mapping the joystick button to engage nosewheel steering somehow made keyboard key for that same function not working, although it is still assigned to 'insert' key. Adding to the trouble is that I forgot that I mapped joystick button and 'insert' key didn't work so all I could do at first is lawn mowing around the airport.

Once in the air, 15 minutes later, too late for any meaningful action and even though in the end I managed to join you I needed more time to familiarize with the terrain.

I don't mind all this as I went 6-7 times through start up procedure and by now I know it by heart (except for the telemetry not turning on).  And the rest seemed to have fun, and the word 'Habicht' I heard about 200 times during the mission, google translate says it means Falcon, so now I am not going to forget it Smile 

Outpost

Aimlessly I flew around in my Huey while others were having some interesting problems like hydraulic failures in MiG-21 and engine death of P-51. Sorry guys, I enjoyed that, it added to the immersion, and later, it was funny to watch Unnamed handling his burning P-51. I did not encounter any enemies and trigger didn't trigger, so it ended prematurely which is a shame because the mission was promising.

Korean Bridge

I remember at one of the first DCS coops we had you all flew Huey and I was the lonely SU-25, I envied you for your fun at close range engagements. This time I wen with Huey and envied you for all that I envied you before plus the ability fly faster than my rusty Huey.

However, I manged to get in time to the southern convoy in order to kill some targets, which was fun, although I did not engage in safest possible way and I took some hits during which my windshield was broken. I wasted all my rockets on trucks, so when two apc's were all that's left, my cannon was not effective. All in all, everybody was effective and both convoys were eliminated relatively quickly. Nice quick mission, action for everyone and a good time.

All grown up

So, yes, finally F-86 action! Good planning, though it could have worked better due to the MiG-15 abnormal sturdiness that Sithis has mentioned. Add better turn rate of MiG's to that and we were no match for them. The bombers also proved to be resistant to fire. In one run I damaged both the Bear and Antonov, they were in smoke so I left them thinking they were finished only to see them later happily landing on the closest airfield.

I don't know if these issues are known but it seem to make MiG vs Sabre engagement absurd. Nevertheless good dogfighting finally!

CiA Training

I was about to quit to take a sleep but then I ended trying out almost every plane that I have in my hangar. I flew: Huey, TP-51, Mi-8, SU-25T, F-15, MiG-21.

While Manuel and Unnamed were having fun with lasers, I was familiarizing with some of these planes that I rarely fly. Mi-8 was quit nice, I came to appreciate it's speed and endurance. I mean, I was under fire for 2 minutes at close range by some apc's, tanks or whatever, and still, although I was downed I managed not to crash but they kept firing at me and it took them some time to destroyed me.

And hey, my personal achievement of the evening, firing up, taking off and landing in MiG-21!

Re: DCS: World - Sithis - 02-29-2016

Yeah the Mig21 fleat is growing  Big Grin

PSA MANPADS are broken at the moment. They are unable to shoot since the last update for some reason.