Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
DCS: World - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: DCS: World (/showthread.php?tid=2257)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Re: DCS: World - kutya - 09-19-2014

Guys, don't update DCS. The last update seems a mess. I had an error (that was said it's fixed) and my beloved/hated Su25-T campaign has a new bug too. And I see many people bitching in the forums. So avoid the update for now.

BTW I have vanilla DCS without any mods. Added only 3-4 missions to it. So I'm pretty sure I didn't mess up anything.

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-19-2014

Yeah, I had to reinstall the previous version. Luckily I'd downloaded it just the other day. You should be able to revert with the command-line but it didn't work for me.

Re: DCS: World - kutya - 09-22-2014

Just flew my best Su-25T mission. As usually, it's part of the Georgian Oil War campaign. 11 ground kills, without getting a scratch and landing safely.
I had a score of 160 something, but a disappointing result of 20. Not sure, but I suppose only 20% of the main objective targets were destroyed, since I could find nothing near the target area.

As I see, for me the best strategy is to never engage enemies deeper in hostile territory. Use the Vikhr for ground targets, only one in a run, fire ASAP, wait till splash, and evasive maneuvers immediately. ECM and Jammer on all the time near hostile territory. Oh, and nav lights off Smile

It's probably obvious, but in the first run, scan for anti air equipment and engage the closest one. Repeat, until no AA. Then prioritize the main objective.

The mission probably took me more than an hour and shortened my life for at least a week. I guess it was worth it...

Another strategy I found useful for scout missions is to empty the pylons (not sure if ECM is worth it), fly nap of the earth about 50-100m altitude, speed 600+ kmh, turn on ECM and Jammer. When near ingress point, switch on auto countermeasures. I completed a couple missions this way. Usually took some hits, but nothing serious. I suppose the enemy doesn't have much time to react. It also helps if your egress can be masked by terrain.

Edit: Regarding equipment, since the campaign isn't designed well, you actually need to perform both SEAD and CAS. I'd prefer to use the Phantasmagoria pod if it was a proper CAS mission, but since you also need to deal with radars, I equip the ELINT instead and 2xKh58U + 2xKh29MPU, for eliminating radars early on. This gives you some breathing space while performing the actual CAS. Get rid of the radar guided missiles ASAP (either by firing or jettisoning) because they greatly affect maneuverability.

This is like a long monologue, but people starting out on DCS may bang their heads on this campaign, as myself, since it's the only campaign for the free Su-25T.

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 09-24-2014

Get ready for another DCS coop tonight! See ya 2000 CET!

PS I will have a visit from the vet at 2000 CET, meaning I would probably be afk for 15 minutes, but I will host the game and vet is probably gonna be a little late anyway.

I found stray kitten and now I have trouble finding a new home for her, because my older cat cannot bear with her and me and my wife have not enough free time to dedicate it to a hyperactive kitten. Feels so bad to be in a situation like this! That is also the reason why I haven't touched DCS recently.

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 09-24-2014

(09-22-2014, 05:02 PM)kutya link Wrote:Just flew my best Su-25T mission. As usually, it's part of the Georgian Oil War campaign. 11 ground kills, without getting a scratch and landing safely.
I had a score of 160 something, but a disappointing result of 20. Not sure, but I suppose only 20% of the main objective targets were destroyed, since I could find nothing near the target area.

As I see, for me the best strategy is to never engage enemies deeper in hostile territory. Use the Vikhr for ground targets, only one in a run, fire ASAP, wait till splash, and evasive maneuvers immediately. ECM and Jammer on all the time near hostile territory. Oh, and nav lights off Smile

It's probably obvious, but in the first run, scan for anti air equipment and engage the closest one. Repeat, until no AA. Then prioritize the main objective.

The mission probably took me more than an hour and shortened my life for at least a week. I guess it was worth it...

Another strategy I found useful for scout missions is to empty the pylons (not sure if ECM is worth it), fly nap of the earth about 50-100m altitude, speed 600+ kmh, turn on ECM and Jammer. When near ingress point, switch on auto countermeasures. I completed a couple missions this way. Usually took some hits, but nothing serious. I suppose the enemy doesn't have much time to react. It also helps if your egress can be masked by terrain.

Edit: Regarding equipment, since the campaign isn't designed well, you actually need to perform both SEAD and CAS. I'd prefer to use the Phantasmagoria pod if it was a proper CAS mission, but since you also need to deal with radars, I equip the ELINT instead and 2xKh58U + 2xKh29MPU, for eliminating radars early on. This gives you some breathing space while performing the actual CAS. Get rid of the radar guided missiles ASAP (either by firing or jettisoning) because they greatly affect maneuverability.

This is like a long monologue, but people starting out on DCS may bang their heads on this campaign, as myself, since it's the only campaign for the free Su-25T.

You're clearly making good progress kutya. Thanks for sharing what you've learnt, it will hopefully help me hit those targets and survive Smile

I only discovered the Phantasmagoria (really?) pod the other day in one of the training missions and thought "this will really help me", only to find I don't seem to have it equipped in the campaign, not in the first mission anyway. I only managed to destroy one target (for some stupid reason I decided to attack a small truck, which was probably no threat to me, rather than the larger, more dangerous vehicles) and safely turned out to sea before they engaged me but then I got a bit carried away and flew straight into the enemy positions on my second pass and soon got shot down.

Haven't had much time to practice since then but at least my headtracker seems to working reliably now, so I'll have another go using your tips and hopefully do better.

(09-24-2014, 01:20 PM)Misha link Wrote:I found stray kitten and now I have trouble finding a new home for her, because my older cat cannot bear with her and me and my wife have not enough free time to dedicate it to a hyperactive kitten. Feels so bad to be in a situation like this! That is also the reason why I haven't touched DCS recently.

Yeah, cats generally aren't that sociable with other cats and are quite territorial, so I can imagine your cat isn't too thrilled about the new arrival! My brother helps run a cat shelter in some woman's house and there's probably about 20 there but they mostly seem to put up with each other, I guess they realise they're lucky to have somewhere safe to live, although some of them are a bit grumpy about it  ;D

I've been meaning to get a kitten for a while but you're a bit far away Wink I still need to do some work to my flat first though, as it will be a lot harder doing it with a kitten around.

Re: DCS: World - kutya - 09-24-2014

@Misha: I don't have a problem with stray cats, but I'm not really happy about that. One of my dogs is a young great dane and about a month ago I saw her as she literally swallowed a kitten in one piece. Killed 4-5 since she's here. All of them wandered into my yard. She even catched a grown cat from our brick fence... But otherwise older cats learned to stay away. So I probably won't have cats for some time. I wonder what it would look like if my dog managed to get into my neighbors chicken farm.

@doveman: I never use the default loadout in the campaign. I made custom ones: SEAD and CAS.

SEAD is:
Vikhrs
ELINT (radar detector)
K58U (anti radiation missile)
K29MPU (anti radiation  missile)
ECM

CAS is:
Vikhrs
Phantasmagoria (thermal TV), the only reason is that it makes finding MANPADs possible (still not easy)
ECM

Maybe I messed some markings, but you get the point I suppose.

Depending on the estimate of SAMs I decide between the two. BTW If you didn't know, loadouts can be changed in the mission planner. I always delete unnecessary waypoints and set my loadout.

Edit: corrected missile descriptions, as per Variables remark

Re: DCS: World - Variable - 09-24-2014

Kutya when you wrote radar guided missile did you mean anti radiation missiles?

Yea, probably Smile

A missile that cruises to a radar that is emitting.

(09-24-2014, 03:23 PM)kutya link Wrote:Depending on the estimate of SAMs I decide between the two. BTW If you didn't know, loadouts can be changed in the mission planner. I always delete unnecessary waypoints and set my loadout.

Thanks, I hadn't even realised that I could use the Mission Planner and edit my loadout for the campaign  Big Grin

When I click on the middle slot (6) and select Pods though, it seems to say the ELINT is the same as the Phantasmagoria, with the only other option being the Mercury, so do you mean you take the same thing for both SEAD and CAS?

Update 2 is now available which has apparently fixed the bugs introduced with Update 1
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2187723&postcount=3

If you use a lot of mods that are setup for the old "aircrafts" folder, after updating you can create a symbolic link by opening a command line prompt in the mods folder and typing:

mklink /d aircrafts aircraft

which will make a linked/mirrored folder "aircrafts" and then when you use JSGME to enable the mods that go in there, the changes will be mirrored in the new "aircraft" folder.

If you're only using a couple of mods though, it's easy enough to just rename the folder in the mod directory.

Kutya that's scary story, since I frequently go out with my cat (on a leash) and we had some nasty encounters with dogs during which luckily he wasn't hurt, only me. It's best to protect your yard from intruders, it's the best even for dog because those cats may be sick or something.

Doveman, if you ever feel ready for a kitten just let me know, I can inform myself on what is required to fly a cat to England, but I'm sure at least she has to have her first vaccines given which she can't till late October, still too young now for that.

I just forgot about the update issue, but good that it's resolved and I have updated my game.

It's not clear to me what do I do with slmod folder, it was in saved games folder before, it's still there?

(09-24-2014, 06:34 PM)doveman link Wrote:When I click on the middle slot (6) and select Pods though, it seems to say the ELINT is the same as the Phantasmagoria, with the only other option being the Mercury, so do you mean you take the same thing for both SEAD and CAS?

Oh, sorry, I'm weak with the weapon markings:
I use the "L-081 Fantasmagoria ELINT pod" (yea, those "two" are the same Smile ) for my SEAD loadout, that's the antiradiation detector or whatever. You can shoot down SAMs with this + the K58U from I think as far as 58km.
And I use the "Mercury LLTV" pod for thermal view for Vikhrs in the CAS loadout.
Since these two use the same weapon slot (6), unfortunately you cannot use both at the same time.

@Misha: I don't really want to build a fortress of my yard Smile I have walls and fences on all sides, but cats still ocassionally get thru. The dog terminates everything: cats, snakes, rats, toads etc. Well, except hedgehogs, then I have to intervene Big Grin I don't walk the dog in the street, because it would be a hazard for everyone, including me, even with a muzzle. She has a yard big enough to run around.

Well, it didn't have a nose even before the landing. Doveman in the background.
[Image: Y81E2sF.jpg?1]