Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
DCS: World - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Flight Simulators (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: DCS: World (/showthread.php?tid=2257)

DCS: World - Nouty - 10-11-2012

If you like to fly:

More info and download link in the video description Smile

Re: DCS: World - Legolasse - 10-11-2012

Played DCS A-10 quite a lot when it came out. Practiced air refueling, navigation, landing in zero visibility weather and what not. Haven't had the time to play it in like 6 months though. I have DCS world installed but never had the patience to setup my joystick so never even tried that. Tongue Also at  this point I probably can't even remember how to start the damn airplane anymore. Smile So many games and so little time...

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 10-11-2012

Hey, I'm just starting to learn stuff, think I know how to start a plane now (wrote it down on paper Smile ).

Trouble is, I don't know how to find bloody targets and lock on using etiher maverick or targeting pod (talking about A-10, indeed). I keep practicing but improvement is kind of slow.

But this game is really promising, now we can control tanks and even jump in to fire on targets. Plus, new planes are being made either by DCS or third parties. Do you know they are making Huey? Some people think it may be hint that infantry is going to be playable too. If that is the case it would be mind blowing.

Anyway, if you know when and where we can play it in multuiplayer just let me know. Same goes if you want to play Rise of flight, I'm going to make a separate topic about that soon.

Re: DCS: World - Nouty - 10-11-2012

Certainly a very time consuming hobby to play flight sims. Tongue I've never really gotten into them but I've always wanted to try the A-10C, just never got around to getting a good HOTAS system and buying the game (+investing all that time to it).
What I like about this is that they give you the Frogfoot for free, so that lowers the bar for me to get in the game. Then you can always buy the other "modules" if you want to play something else, like the A-10C or Combined Arms.

They certainly teased that Huey in the video didn't they? Tongue I'd kinda like it to just fly a transport helo, though that one looked armed to the teeth as well. Smile

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 10-11-2012

I don't use expensive joystick, but it has many buttons I can assign, and if you use modifiers and hat switch it's pretty easy to have all controls you want to have.

There is Flaming Cliffs 3 add on coming soon, it has all that simplified models from Lock On and reworked F-15 cockpit with 6 degrees of freedom, so that may be a even better start for you. The only problem is that it still requires Lock On original which is pretty hard to find if you don't live in USA.

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 12-20-2012

I fly BS2 in DCS World, not tried A10. I say fly, mostly I crash due to doing something stupid and my engines cutting out or whatever Wink

I only have a cheap joystick too (Thrustmaster HOTAS X about £25) but with Xpadder and modifers, along with Voice Assisted Commands (VAC) I should get it setup one of these days. It's just remembering what the voice commands are and which button does what that becomes a problem, so I need to design and print out a reference sheet or two sometime.

Then try and learn to fly properly and blow stuff up Smile

I think I'll get into it more once I get my Freetrack setup. I bought the LEDs a while ago but needed to make a daylight filter for my cam (PS3 EYE) and only recently got round to doing that. Now I just need to build the clip, which is where my poor DIY skills will inevitably let me down!

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 01-11-2013

I think that you don't need tracking devices for this kind of game, they are not essential, that is, unless you do some dogfighting which you ain't gonna do with Su-25. I'm flying A-10 and never felt need for it, even though I can use my webcam and FaceTrackNoIR for for that. Simply, when you're dealing with static ground targets there's no so much need for that. But if you get Freetrack to work you'll see some small benefits.

Now, who, when and where is gonna play this online? It's a complicated game, hard to learn, we may help each other and bomb some stuff together.

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 01-11-2013

I just find it a bit fiddly having to use the hat for several different things using modifiers (view, Shvkal, etc) so with Freetrack it would make that a bit simpler, as well as allow me to look around the cockpit without having to let go of the stick and use the mouse.

I can't really help you with the A-10 as I only have the KA-50 but this looks like a friendly group who say they welcome players of all skill levels, so they'll probably be a good start http://flight-sim-fanatics.com/index.php?topic=6.0

I might even join them myself and maybe we'll see each other there! Whilst DCSW is a peer-to-peer rather than dedicated server multiplayer, you'd need missions designed for both the A-10 and KA-50 to allow both of us to play, which I don't have but they will.

There's this cool TS3 plugin for DCSW called TARS which enables proper radio comms but I don't know if they use that
http://www.excessiveheadspace.com/tars/

Re: DCS: World - Nouty - 01-11-2013

Got the A-10C from Gabe pretty cheap (holiday sales) and ordered a decent HOTAS stick. Too bad the stick was sold out and it will probably take a couple more weeks to get delivered. Plenty of time to read the manual while I wait I guess Smile

These types of "games" take a while to learn and are definitely not pick up and play, so it might take me a while till I feel comfortable to take to the skies with KAF, the Kyllikki Air Force Big Grin

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 01-13-2013

(01-11-2013, 09:43 AM)doveman link Wrote:I can't really help you with the A-10 as I only have the KA-50 but this looks like a friendly group who say they welcome players of all skill levels, so they'll probably be a good start http://flight-sim-fanatics.com/index.php?topic=6.0

Thanks Doveman!

Since some patches ago DCS World is required to play any module and it contains free SU-25 we can always fly that if there is no better solution. I don't like that plane and didn't spent time to learn stuff about flying it, but it has to be more simple than KA-50 and A-10.

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 03-25-2013

Sale on ED sims until 27 March if anyone wants to get another game they haven't got time to learn Wink

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/shop.php?end_pos=1322&scr=shop&lang=en

Re: DCS: World - Misha - 03-26-2013

So true, it takes ages to master just one aircraft. But despite this I still feel urge to try out Black Shark or Mustang.

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 03-26-2013

Yeah, I'm tempted even though I know I should resist. Curious about Combined Arms as well but I wish they had a demo so I could see if I enjoy it.

Mind you, with the UH-1Y and FA-15/18 modules coming out fairly soon, maybe I should save my money for them.

Re: DCS: World - Varanon - 03-26-2013

I bought A10 recently, it was on sale on (gasp) Origin for only 10 euro or so.

Needs a headtracker, though... still hoping they add Oculus Rift support ^^

Re: DCS: World - doveman - 03-26-2013

wow, 10 euro. Mind you I'd rather not have to install Origin and it's only about £13 from ED in the sale so I'll probably get it.

I recall they were talking about making it possible to have two players manning one plane/helo sometime and I really want to get that one if they do, so that I can get my friend on the gun (he doesn't like to fly!)

Man, I so want a Rift, I hope I can afford one when they're available.

Still need to build my Freetrack LED tracker. I've got all the electronics, it's just working out how to build the clip and attach it to my headphones that's tricky for me as I've never been much good at building things Wink