Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Mission setup preferences - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Mission Making (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Mission setup preferences (/showthread.php?tid=3195)

Pages: 1 2

Mission setup preferences - treendy - 12-12-2015

Hello all

Great forum here : )  however, was hoping to see a topic about the group preferences for missions... for example play only allows first person, revive script setup (medics only? or all etc...), no respawn(which i see mentioned on the CiA about us page) etc etc...

If someone could let me know a few preferences the CiA group like to stick to, I will get started on a few 15-20 player coop missions : )

Re: Mission setup preferences - Watchmen - 12-12-2015

I may be wrong but i think the general preference in terms of which revive system is psychos revive and no respawn function. I can't answer more you will have to ask one of the admins. Cheers and welcome Smile

Re: Mission setup preferences - Alwarren - 12-12-2015

Hello treendy, welcome to the CiA forums.

We always play with third person disabled, so it's first person only. No respawn other than side or group, that is, if there is an AI we allow to respawn into the AI but if not then the player has to sit out the round. It's our feeling that this makes one value one's screen life much more than with respawn.

As Watchmen said, we strongly prefer Psycho's revive script. Check this thread fora fixed version that has a number of bugs removed. Generally, everyone can revive (sometime missions require a FAK to revive, others dont) but only the medic can heal fully. Headshots in Psycho will kill instantly, as well as explosions.

Other than that, if you want to know anything else, don't hesitate to ask. Also, if you have questions about mission making in general that someone here can help with, ask away, we have a subforum for this kind of discussion and quite a number of experienced mission makers here Smile

Re: Mission setup preferences - treendy - 12-12-2015

Thanks for the responses ... I tend to not like "Hand Holding" games... so my missions will not have waypoints that point you in the right direction... you need to use the map... Dark Souls fan here : )

Re: Mission setup preferences - Variable - 12-12-2015

Welcome treendy! Always great to have another mission maker on board. I look forward to play your missions, considering your questions and your introduction I'm sure they will be great. Will you join us in coop nights?
Regarding guidelines, I think Alwarren covered it all, however I'll add that we refrain from using Virtual ammo boxes. Also, it's better to leave the AI enabled and not disabling them like we see in some missions. It affects join-in-progress and prevent players that lose connection from returning to the game. Make sure to use the FHQ task tracker to ensure that briefing and tasks are working properly on a dedicated server.

(12-12-2015, 12:33 PM)treendy link Wrote: Thanks for the responses ... I tend to not like "Hand Holding" games... so my missions will not have waypoints that point you in the right direction... you need to use the map... Dark Souls fan here : )
No problem, we have HUD waypoints canceled on the server, so even if there are some, no one sees them Big Grin

Re: Mission setup preferences - McGregor - 12-12-2015

Nice to see you made your way over here treendy. Looking forward to playing more of your missions

(12-12-2015, 12:33 PM)treendy link Wrote: Thanks for the responses ... I tend to not like "Hand Holding" games... so my missions will not have waypoints that point you in the right direction... you need to use the map... Dark Souls fan here : )

Great, I don't put waypoints either, Arma is Arma because of the fact that there is a multitude of options to approach a single target, and I feel it takes away from that if you funnel players into a specific route.

Right, I forgot to mention our aversion to Virtual Ammobox. Personally, i prefer to make custom loadouts for the soldiers and have only minimal ammo boxes on the ground, if at all. If my missions start in a camp or FOB, there is usually some crates but if it starts in the field, then the loadout of the group should be tailored to the mission.

But as I said, that is personal preference.

Re: Mission setup preferences - Outlawz7 - 12-12-2015

Virtual Ammobox/Arsenal should be avoided because they give you everything to choose from, you could basically carry a .50 cal sniper rifle and a heavy AT while wearing flipflops and scuba gear on every mission. Part of the joy is finding a way to complete mission with what you're given, not having your dream loadout every time.

I'd say Arsenal is ok if the gear you can get from it is restricted to the mission's scope, like one mission we played that had Arsenal but only basic NATO MX rifles to pick from. Infinite ammo would still be an issue though.

Always mark the starting positions, we don't have player icons on map to tell where we are in briefing. Unless not knowing where you start is part of the mission. Wink

(12-12-2015, 04:08 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: I'd say Arsenal is ok if the gear you can get from it is restricted to the mission's scope, like one mission we played that had Arsenal but only basic NATO MX rifles to pick from. Infinite ammo would still be an issue though.

I wish there was a way in Arsenal to not only restrict WHAT you can pick but also HOW MUCH of it. Say you want to give people the opportunity to take one additional launcher with you; if it is in arsenal, you can take hundreds.

OTOH, you can always use an ammo crate, but I am always skeptical if it works or not since more than once we had problems with taking stuff out of it.

Re: Mission setup preferences - Variable - 12-12-2015

I might be a bit extreme but opening an ammo box and seeing ammount of stuff inside that can never fit, is a major turnoff. I don't like VAS even if it's limited because, it's still, well, virtual.

(12-12-2015, 07:37 PM)Variable link Wrote: I might be a bit extreme but opening an ammo box and seeing ammount of stuff inside that can never fit, is a major turnoff. I don't like VAS even if it's limited because, it's still, well, virtual.

Well I generally dislike things that pull me out of the realism mindset. For example, I generally dislike missions were an infantry team steals choppers. That is also why when I lead I most of the time avoid using choppers that we captured because I don't like the idea of infantry grunts having helicopter pilot licenses. In such events, I would always have specific pilots around that would fly the chopper, if ti were a mission parameter. I even go so far as to put in scripts that throws non-pilots out of the pilot seat.

Re: Mission setup preferences - treendy - 12-13-2015

wow thanks all : )

I'm finishing of my latest 4 player mission today (hopefully)... then will start on one for here  Big Grin

Just as an initial mission, I will be tweaking my Sar e Sang mission so its suitable for a team of 15... will adjust quite a few things giving more options on how you can complete the mission.... will also remove the virtual ammo box and all the other bits above.

I may even add a small optional playable enemy team (of 4 players max) who will have there own tasks ... just to make things interesting  :o

Also...I will hope to be joining in on your Coop nights : )  love working in coop, also... hope to build some pvp coop missions... just adds further realism when fighting against real players.

Also... does the CiA ever have matches against other groups?  I have an idea for an ongoing war that two groups can go head to head with over the space of a couple of months

Re: Mission setup preferences - McGregor - 12-13-2015

(12-13-2015, 11:14 AM)treendy link Wrote: I may even add a small optional playable enemy team (of 4 players max) who will have there own tasks ... just to make things interesting  :o

I made a suggestion like this after we first tried the End Game mode. I think it could be really cool

(12-13-2015, 11:14 AM)treendy link Wrote: Also... does the CiA ever have matches against other groups?  I have an idea for an ongoing war that two groups can go head to head with over the space of a couple of months

CiA is mainly a coop PVE group focusing on team work. PVP is generally not something we do. I think the idea it self is cool since personally I played quite a bit of scenario focused PVP in Arma 2. It entailed a small degree of "role playing". Not doing funny voices or anything but if the briefing said you were guarding an outpost you stuck to doing that. I'm not too sure that it's something that CiA would engage in, but if we were it would have to be very mission focused and not your typical BF style gameplay. I can only speak for my self but I would possibly be up for it

Re: Mission setup preferences - treendy - 12-13-2015

I agree 100%... its nice occasionally to play some mindless pvp games... but no, my missions would be just like a single player mission with tasks to complete etc... however both teams will have their own tasks which will result in conflicts...  also, no re-spawn and usual mission rules etc...

The big part of if would be, one map you can view online, each side will start with an area, then the command players would choose where to move troops and which areas to move into and what the aim would be.

Each area would have its own benefit, so for example, one clan may decide to destroy a bridge that belongs to another which will stop supply's getting to them... so they will select the area and mission goal, then one day that week, both clans will meet up and play the missions selected by both teams (so one clan will be definding the bridge the other attack) and the results of any missions will dictate what happens on the world map.

Would be some limitations, number of players depends available force, only one mission per side per week.

Just an idea at the moment... With a big push to coop gameplay only (no respawn/ limited ammo etc...)

Re: Mission setup preferences - treendy - 12-26-2015

Hi all,

Nearlly finished a large multiplayer mission... I have a feeling it could be a bit challenging lol just hope its not too hard.... my first one for a large scale coop mission so hope I have got the balance right (I have tested quite a lot and feels like it should be ok)... quite a lot to read about the mission too... very important info will be in the description that could save your squad!

Want to add the Psycho's revive script in... however the link below from Alwarren to a thread with a fixed version that has a number of bugs removed doesnt seem to work, or I dont have permission to view that thread?

This is a link to the Psycho's script I have found... is this the correct one? or do you have another version I should use:http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24088

Thank you

Darren