Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Technical Support (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? (/showthread.php?tid=3152)

Pages: 1 2

How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - Varanon - 10-28-2015

I've heard that you are supposed to set up thrust levers by first mapping the positive and negative thrust axis on the same control "Thrust (analogue)", but when I try, it wasn't working. Am I doing something wrong ?

Re: How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - McGregor - 10-28-2015

Are we talking planes or helicopters? For helos I have the - and + axis of my throttle mapped to "collective raise (analogue)". For planes I have it set the same way on "thrust (analogue)" and it seems to work although admittedly I don't fly planes much. For helos how ever this is the magic formula, I found

Re: How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - Varanon - 10-29-2015

So even for helos, you got both mapped to the same ?

Geez, why doesn't Arma do it like, well, all the other games Tongue

Re: How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - Variable - 10-29-2015

I got the same setting both for choppers and planes, as McGregor describes.

Re: How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - McGregor - 10-29-2015

(10-29-2015, 12:18 PM)Varanon link Wrote: So even for helos, you got both mapped to the same ?

Geez, why doesn't Arma do it like, well, all the other games Tongue

Yes I know it's weird. But it works  :o

Re: How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - Variable - 10-29-2015

FYI, Ondrej said it's not working on the Advanced Flight Model, but McGregor says it works for him when using the AFM.

Yep It does. Don't understand why he says that. This config is the only way to map it that I have found to be working

Somehow, the plane mapping doesn't seem to work for me, I only get 50 % thrust when I'm doing it like that

Is the order important ? Like, first - then + ?

Geez, even left and right doesn't work as it should.

Fuck this, no flying for me. Honestly, this is ridiculous

(10-29-2015, 08:15 PM)Varanon link Wrote: Is the order important ? Like, first - then + ?

- first then + makes you throttle up when pushing forward. Doing + first then - reverses it. But yeah it's very weird and seems a bit broken the way it works

Re: How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - Den - 10-29-2015

I have it mapped on the following ways as it was written in my thread: http://ciahome.net/forum/technical-support/any-tips-for-key-binding-thrustflight-stick/

@
Ok, let's sum it up. To have the full extent of one axis used on an action it has to be mapped this way:

- Airplanes
-- Throttle - both halves of the chosen axis have to be mapped on Throttle (Analogue)
-- Airbrake - both halves of the chosen axis have to be mapped on Brake (Analogue)

-Helicopter
Map both the + and -  of what ever axis your throttle is to "raise collective" and leave "lower collective" empty

(This way it gives you exact control over the collective in 0-100% range both with Standard and Advanced flight model. For example with Hummingbird a hover can be maintained with collective around 60% with SFM and around 50% with AFM.)
"

Re: How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - Variable - 10-31-2015

Just to make sure - is this how you have it set up Varanon?
[Image: 047203AF271D85E4EC7AB3200186EC3E80AC42DB]

[Image: 225430F16BD7D2CCEC6C94EE57FA8250573B77A4]

Re: How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - Varanon - 11-01-2015

Yes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

Re: How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - doveman - 06-02-2016

Varanon and I were chatting about this yesterday and by experimenting I found I have to map only one half of the axis, so Slider- OR Slider+ depending on which end you want to be Max Thrust.

If I map both, then it never gets high enough to take off, I have to hold W to do so and if I reduce the throttle once airborne I can't increase it again without pressing W.

No idea why though, as A3's controller sensitivity settings screen shows the input goes from -100 to +100 and Xpadder shows the raw values go from 0 to 65536. For those for whom mapping both parts of the axis works, it would be interesting to know what values you see in A3's controller sensitivity settings screen.

Re: How to set up thrust levers for Arma ? - doveman - 06-06-2016

I had a look at my A3 .profile file and found it had a lot of redundant class Joystick entries, for sticks I no longer own and duplicates for the ones I currently use. So I deleted them and mapped my joystick in A3 again, with Slider- AND + mapped to plane thrust and after that I was actually able to takeoff just using my throttle.

I'll have to keep testing to make sure it persists, particularly when I map the controls again in Win10 (the joystick has a different ID in Win8.1 and Win10, so it has to be mapped separately in each) but it might be worth cleaning your .profile file to see if that helps.