Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Random Crashes - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Technical Support (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Random Crashes (/showthread.php?tid=2896)

Pages: 1 2

Random Crashes - McGregor - 02-06-2015

So I've been experiencing seemingly random crashes for a couple of weeks now . I get a grey screen and I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get out of the game. When I get to the desktop 90% of the time I find that "X-55 profile manager" has crashed (my hotas). Nothing has changed in my installation so I think it might be related to the latest Arma update but of course I'm not really sure. I uploaded the two RPT files from my two crashes during the FATA mission last night to my Google drive. I would very much appreciate if someone more knowledgeable than me would have a look at them. Let me know if I screwed up the links or anything  Smile

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BySAithwsTihYVBjYWZ0bktnU0U/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BySAithwsTihQUNfTFVYOEFZQjQ/view

Re: Random Crashes - Variable - 02-06-2015

Probably a stupid question, but have you tried without the profile manager?

Re: Random Crashes - Alwarren - 02-06-2015

I noticed this in the log files. It occurs in both, and is listed shortly before the end of the log:

22:14:15 DX11 error : CreateQuery failed : DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
22:14:15 DX11 - device removed - reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
22:14:15 DX11 error : buffer Map failed : DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

That error means your graphics card has been physically removed from the system (which I assume is not the case) or a driver update has occurred (which is probably also not the case).

If you haven't overclocked your card, my guess would be that either:

- Your graphics card is overheating and shuts down. Try a program like HWMonitor or similar to watch the temperature
- Your power supply might have a defect and does no longer deliver enough power.

I would first check for the temperature. Some times, the accumulated dust on a fan will slowly cause it to spin slower, resulting in insufficient air flow. I had that problem a couple of times. Clearing the fan will be sufficient then.

Re: Random Crashes - McGregor - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 04:22 PM)Variable link Wrote:Probably a stupid question, but have you tried without the profile manager?

I have not. It came with the driver package. I don't really use it other than disabling the twist rudder since I use pedals. I guess I could just not map that axis in the game so I'll see if I can remove it and keep the drivers

(02-06-2015, 04:45 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:I noticed this in the log files. It occurs in both, and is listed shortly before the end of the log:

22:14:15 DX11 error : CreateQuery failed : DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

That error means your graphics card has been physically removed from the system (which I assume is not the case) or a driver update has occurred (which is probably also not the case).

If you haven't overclocked your card, my guess would be that either:

- Your graphics card is overheating and shuts down. Try a program like HWMonitor or similar to watch the temperature
- Your power supply might have a defect and does no longer deliver enough power.

I would first check for the temperature. Some times, the accumulated dust on a fan will slowly cause it to spin slower, resulting in insufficient air flow. I had that problem a couple of times. Clearing the fan will be sufficient then.

Well it is a bit OC'd. Bought the card three months ago and did a proper cleaning of the case then so dust shouldn't be an issue. But now that you mention it I had problems with my last card as well in some DX11 applications. The problem then was that the voltage was a little bit to low even though benchmarking indicated it to be very stable. Same with this card, good benchmarks but I'll try to up the voltage a bit and see if it helps. Fingers crossed and thanks for the suggestions guys

Re: Random Crashes - alias - 02-06-2015

What video card you have buddy?

Re: Random Crashes - McGregor - 02-07-2015

It's a GTX 980

Re: Random Crashes - McGregor - 02-11-2015

After some fiddling with voltage and some minor registry tweaks the crashes seem to have stopped. Hopefully It's fixed. I guess I'll find out tomorrow

Re: Random Crashes - McGregor - 02-16-2015

This is what I did to fix my "DX11 error: buffer Map failed: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED" crashes. Just follow the link and click on the "Fix It" button, follow the instructions and hopefully no more crashes  Smile

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

Re: Random Crashes - Outlawz7 - 02-28-2015

Since I installed my new PSU today, I get "D3D Error - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED" errors one minute into running ArmA. Could the same thing work for my GTX 770?

Re: Random Crashes - Horus - 02-28-2015

Just try, you've got nothing to lose.

Re: Random Crashes - McGregor - 02-28-2015

It seems the method I mentioned didn't fix the problem all together. I had one week of no crashes after, but then it started again. Much less frequent now though. It's very weird, sometimes I can play an entire coop night crash free but other times it can crash 4-5 times in one mission. I'm guessing your card is not OC'd? Either way you could also try under clocking it by 3-4% or raising the voltage a tiny bit. Sadly there seems to be no easy or certain fix for this annoying issue

To elaborate, I replaced my PSU and disconnected second monitor (see the Kernel crash thread).

I uninstalled and reinstalled my GTX 770 drivers and still either one of two things happen: I get a D3D Error - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED popup window and CTD or screen goes black and the only way to fix it is to turn off the PC (reset doesn't fix it).

I tried with ArmA3, ArmA2 and Insurgency (I don't have many Steam games installed).

Any evidence over/under clocking helps?

Re: Random Crashes - McGregor - 02-28-2015

I don't get any popup with my crashes, DX11 error only shows in the RPT. Screen just goes grey and I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Some people say under clocking helps others say it doesn't. Only way to find out is to try I guess. In my case it doesn't seem to do much but it's hard to say since my crashes are so random and some times far between. Oh and Arma 3 is the only game that does this  :o

Currently trying with reverting nVidia drivers from 347.52 to 344.75, I'll see if it does anything

edit: no dice, still crashes with older driver

Re: Random Crashes - Horus - 02-28-2015

Try this:
1. install last Intel HD driver link
2. uninstall nV&PhysX driver with DDU uninstaller in safemode link
3. install GPU driver link