Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Technical Support (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? (/showthread.php?tid=2887)

Pages: 1 2

Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - McGregor - 01-29-2015

I have an I5 2500K that I have been rocking for a few years. I have it running rock solid @ 4.6 GHz (water cooled). I'm thinking of an upgrade but is there any point? Would I see any real performance gain and not only like 3 FPS increase in for example Arma. Keep in mind I only game on this machine, nothing else

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - alias - 01-29-2015

CPU seems fine, i'd rather look into a new video card. However my knowledge in CPU performances and tests is limited.

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - Variable - 01-29-2015

McGregor, I have an i7 950 for 7 years and I I can wholeheartedly recommend the i7 brand. I had zero problems with it over the years (apart from overheating due to me neglecting to dust it), and it still runs everything that comes out on high settings. I'm surprised it lasted all these years, I wonder how many it still got in it. As I understand the Intel CPUs are recommended for Arma 3, but I'm no expert.

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - Fap - 01-29-2015

I am bad at reading! Tongue

I would only recommend upgrading your water cooling a bit more, so you could reach 5-5.2 on the 2500K.
You will probably see around a 6ish fps increase from overclocking going from 4.6 to 5, much more in CPU intensive scenarios/games. (i7's only really offer hyperthreading, and that is never really a benefit in games, i've seen people get weird stutters because of it in various games.. and the price premium is not worth it)

Though much more cost effective in the short term would be to just upgrade your GPU.
Watercooling won't disappear though and will allow you to overclock new CPU's even more aswell.

AMD is coming out with the 380x in some months, 50% increase in performance over the gtx 980 O.O Might be worth waiting for

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - McGregor - 01-29-2015

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking of going i7 but I'm not sure if I can justify the cost vs performance gain. I guess for now I'll just OC it some more until it melts and then buy an i7. Oh and I failed to mention that I recently upgraded my GPU so I should be all set on that front. My concern was that maybe my CPU was bottlenecking a bit but I think some more OC will do for now. Until I fall face first into some cash that is

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - Fap - 01-30-2015

Yeah, you won't notice much improvement with an i7.
If you overclock both, the i5 should perhaps even overclock further than an i7, and by doing so, the i5 will win over the i7 anyways.

Biggest upgrade for you is further OC or a second GPU Smile (though I would never run dual GPU's myself, too many goddamn problems on both green&red...)

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/712/bench/CPU_03.png

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - alias - 01-30-2015

Something that made the difference for me was SSDs. Is just amazing.

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - McGregor - 01-30-2015

More OC-ing it is. I was looking at the AMD 380x but I'm an Nvidia guy, always have been so I went with the GTX 980. Also I like green  ;D . Might be a while until I can afford a second one though. But as it is I'm quite happy with it

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - Den - 01-30-2015

I wouldn't upgrade yet. I would wait until Broadwell or Skylake are released later in the year or next year respectively. Still fine for now imo.

Yep I think you're right. I will probably end up doing a complete new build for when Star Citizen finally is released

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - Alwarren - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 01:16 PM)McGregor link Wrote: Might be a while until I can afford a second one though.

Don't think it is worth it. Unless it changed recently, I had seen a gameplay video where the guy (Bluedrake42) was loudly complaining that he gets better FPS if he disables his second graphics card.

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - Alwarren - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 02:58 PM)McGregor link Wrote: Yep I think you're right. I will probably end up doing a complete new build for when Star Citizen finally is released

Yeah, damn. Bring on Star Citizen. Totally hyped for the FPS module release in March Smile

(01-30-2015, 03:19 PM)Alwarren link Wrote: Don't think it is worth it. Unless it changed recently, I had seen a gameplay video where the guy (Bluedrake42) was loudly complaining that he gets better FPS if he disables his second graphics card.

I've seen a lot of such complaints over the years. Sadly for the vast majority of games this seems to still be a problem. At least at launch. This is the main reason I've never gone SLI. Just seems like a hassle over all.
Oh and we should totally start a CIA org in SC at some point

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - Misha - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 04:09 PM)McGregor link Wrote: Oh and we should totally start a CIA org in SC at some point

I'm totally to open to these kind of possibilities:
CiA wing in DCS World
CiA racing at whatever your favorite racing game is
CiA airways in FSX
CiA railways in Train Simulator
CiA family in Sims
;D 

Re: Upgrading CPU, do I need to? - Variable - 01-31-2015

(01-30-2015, 04:09 PM)McGregor link Wrote: Oh and we should totally start a CIA org in SC at some point
lOwEr CAsE i!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin