Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP (/showthread.php?tid=2790)

Pages: 1 2 3

Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - Variable - 10-24-2014

Enhanced version by McGregor:

Everybody please familiarize yourself with the following. We sometime fail because people do not know what to do in certain situations and acting according to the following guidelines can save people and missions. If you have anything to add or ask, please post.
Before reading the guidelines, it's important to understand the different types of wound related Arma 3 actions:

First aid (white text): an vanilla action. Used to patch yourself or a friend and bring the patient to 75%.
First aid (red text): A Psycho revive option. This is what should be selected when treating a bleeding comrade! Not the vanilla, white, option!
Stop bleeding (red text): a Psycho revive option. Use that when you don't have a FAK, a medic is not nearby and you need to buy some time until one is available.
Heal (white text): An vanilla medic only option. Available if the medic has a Medkit. This action DOES NOT waste a FAK. The medic takes a bunch of FAKs to replace those spend by regular infantry!

1.If you are not the medic, and there's a medic nearby, DO NOT attempt to first aid fallen comrades Unless ordered by your team leader. Make sure the medic is coming but your job is to fight! If you get revived by a non-medic remember that you may still require attention from the "real" medic for further treatment. Seek him out or let him know over radio/local once you are up again

2. If you are lightly wounded and have an option to patch up yourself or a friend  with a FAK, it's better not to waste it and find a medic to treat you. This way you can keep your valuable FAK.

3. If you wasted your FAK get another one from the medic. He usually carry a backpack full of them. A good opportunity to do so is when he heals you. Just open his backpack and grab one while notifying him.

4. Medics, you are not disturbing the patient when you heal them! No need to ask permission first. Use mk4 HUD to identify the patient and tell him to hold still while you give him aid

5. Everybody, keep one FAK always in your backpack. If the guy who comes to first aid you has none, your backpack can be accessed to acquire one. Your combat vest and your shirt are not accessible when you are bleeding.

6. If you were first aided while bleeding with missions with Psycho AIS, remove excessive FAKs that spawned in your inventory (this is a bug).

7. Medics, it's your job to know who's up and who's not. It's your job to regularly check everybody for wounds and treat them. you don't need orders to do so nor should the order have to be given. The team leader expects you to do this on your own, pay attention. It's a standard operating procedure. Use your mk4 HUD to identify your team and everybody keep a constant status of who's up and who's down.

8. Medics should keep themselves safe. This means not going on point and generally staying behind other team members. If it's clear, approach a fallen comrade automatically. However, when there's danger, consult your leader before moving to first aid. He may orchestrate covering fire, a smoke screen or any other means to limit the threat to you when you move in for the heal. Rather lose a teammate then losing a teammate and the medic!

9. Medics should not carry heavy weapons/operate critical assets unless it's necessary. Other team mates can do that. Extra ammo is alright.

10. Reporting medical status of yourself and others: NEVER say "X is down", it's not clear whether X is bleeding or dead. Stick to the following: "X is dead", "X is bleeding". If you are wounded, just say you are wounded (when you are not bleeding but you could use a medic to patch up your wounds).

So who should take the medic slot? Well if you care more about the over all success of the mission rather than racking up kills this is the slot for you. Playing as the medic can be a very rewarding role as long as these guidelines are followed by all participating players.

All non medic players; remember that the medic often sacrifices having long range capabilities, grenades and such in favor of other gameplay mechanics. Don't take that away from him.

And medics; Pay attention to the over all situation. Your role is to keep the team operational

Any more? Please free to post more ideas for genral medical guidelines.

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - alias - 10-24-2014

You covered pretty much everything, makes sense, i don't have much to add but...

The only problem i see is when you try to heal someone firing or about to fire, the animation places you in the line of fire so the healing process can be sometime suicidal Smile , as medic you always have to let the patient know about your intent and tell him to hold, if you use action menu and the guy moves you end up shooting instead of healing him Smile

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - Variable - 10-24-2014

Are you sure that happens in MP? I ever seen that happen.

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - alias - 10-24-2014

Yeah, i have it on tape Smile
I almost killed CyDon twice last week when i was trying to heal him using the action menu for some strange reason, i usually use a key for that.

As for animation, i have that on some recordings too from few months ago, i didn't play as medic too much lately maybe is fixed.

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - Valhalian - 10-24-2014

I think you've covered it nicely. There's nothing that comes to my mind at this moment that I would add (I may think of something later  Smile ). It was a good idea to put this down.

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - doveman - 10-24-2014

Good tips Variable, I didn't know half of that so thanks for this.

There's a couple of things I'd question though. Firstly, not needing to check if the patient is ready to be healed. I wasn't aware of the issue that alias mentions but my concern with just healing someone without asking, whilst they're engaged or not fully in cover is that doing so might make them vulnerable and unable to move out of the way of incoming fire or effectively return fire. If I heal someone whilst they're lying down, can they continue to aim and fire normally and get up and move out of danger if necessary?

The other thing is the suggestion that the medic should be constantly checking everyone. This seems a rather inefficient use of him, as he could be checking five perfectly healthy people before getting to the one person that actually needs patching up. So it seems to make more sense for him to stay alert to reports of people being hit and attend to them (if it's safe to do so of course) and when appropriate, if he thinks there might have been injuries that haven't been reported or he might have missed them, ask over the radio if anyone thinks they need checking. Certainly though, once the fighting has finished and there's a bit of time, then it would make sense to check everybody before moving on to ensure that nobody slows down the group due to injury that they might not be aware of.

There's also situations where there are people down and it's unsafe for the medic to get to them but there's a risk of losing them and being unable to complete the mission, where it would be appropriate to ask the team leader whether he wants the medic to go and try and save them, or if he wants to send someone else in first, either to provide covering fire or try and drag the bodies back to a safer spot. If I was team leader in such a situation and the medic just decided that it was his job to heal everyone and ran in and got himself killed trying, leaving us with no way to get people up and complete the mission, I'd be a bit annoyed that he hadn't asked me for orders first, as I might be assessing the situation and trying to think of ways to salvage the situation that didn't put him in danger.

So to sum up, my advice would be medics should try and keep themselves safe (and everyone else should try and protect him if they're suddenly ambushed and there's nowhere safe for him to hide, as they're probably going to need him soon) and whilst they can use their own initiative to do their job when it's safe, in a dangerous situation they should ask their team leader for orders before putting themselves at risk.

(10-24-2014, 07:51 PM)doveman link Wrote: If I heal someone whilst they're lying down, can they continue to aim and fire normally and get up and move out of danger if necessary?
As far as I experienced the answer is yes. It's enough you select the option and the man is healed, he can even move away and be 10 meters away from you by the time you finish the healing animation. In SP there is an animation for the patient as well, in MP it seems absent and it's been this way since Arma 1. So as long as we don't see otherwise in the game, there's no point in asking permission to heal.

(10-24-2014, 07:51 PM)doveman link Wrote: The other thing is the suggestion that the medic should be constantly checking everyone. This seems a rather inefficient use of him, as he could be checking five perfectly healthy people before getting to the one person that actually needs patching up. So it seems to make more sense for him to stay alert to reports of people being hit and attend to them (if it's safe to do so of course) and when appropriate, if he thinks there might have been injuries that haven't been reported or he might have missed them, ask over the radio if anyone thinks they need checking. Certainly though, once the fighting has finished and there's a bit of time, then it would make sense to check everybody before moving on to ensure that nobody slows down the group due to injury that they might not be aware of.

Don't take that part so literally. The point is that the medic needs to make sure everybody are patched up and good to go all the time. Of course, that doesn't mean he should robotically move from one guy to the other even if it's clear some other guys are definitely wounded. Of course, this should be done when appropriate and not in inadequate timings, I just find it a bit awkward to write that as it seems obvious. The point is, after engagements make sure everybody are fully healed. There are a lot of instances that people are wounded without noticing, and the only way to get to 100% health is the medic checking, so asking in the radio is useless in a lot of cases. If the situation permit, check your people if there's reason to believe some are injured. A good example for a great medic is Knight, who does exactly that.

(10-24-2014, 07:51 PM)doveman link Wrote: There's also situations where there are people down and it's unsafe for the medic to get to them but there's a risk of losing them and being unable to complete the mission, where it would be appropriate to ask the team leader whether he wants the medic to go and try and save them, or if he wants to send someone else in first, either to provide covering fire or try and drag the bodies back to a safer spot. If I was team leader in such a situation and the medic just decided that it was his job to heal everyone and ran in and got himself killed trying, leaving us with no way to get people up and complete the mission, I'd be a bit annoyed that he hadn't asked me for orders first, as I might be assessing the situation and trying to think of ways to salvage the situation that didn't put him in danger.

Yeah, good point, I'll add that to the OP.

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - Outlawz7 - 10-24-2014

I think medics should not carry heavy weapons/operate critical assets unless it's necessary. I often see a medic carrying RPGs and such when there's other team mates that can do that. Extra ammo is alright.

(10-24-2014, 11:02 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: I think medics should not carry heavy weapons/operate critical assets unless it's necessary. I often see a medic carrying RPGs and such when there's other team mates that can do that. Extra ammo is alright.
Good point, adding to OP.

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - MavericK96 - 10-25-2014

Nice post.  I play medic quite often as you guys know, and try to observe all of these items.

One thing I might add is that, if you see a medic healing you, try not to move around or run off.  If you move too far away, the medic gets stuck in the animation, yet no healing is given.

Standard medic loadout is 10 FAKs in the backpack along with the Medkit.

Another thing I will say is that recently I have been put in a position, as the medic, where no one in the fire team will step up and take command if the leader is killed.  I will do it if necessary, but as mentioned in the OP, it doesn't make sense to have a medic going on point and leading the fire team.  Just a thought.

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - Alwarren - 10-25-2014

(10-25-2014, 02:26 AM)MavericK link Wrote: .
Another thing I will say is that recently I have been put in a position, as the medic, where no one in the fire team will step up and take command if the leader is killed.  I will do it if necessary, but as mentioned in the OP, it doesn't make sense to have a medic going on point and leading the fire team.  Just a thought.

I'm afraid that is a very general problem, since a lot of people just do not want to take responsibility. A similar case occurred recently where a complete newbie to the game asked to be relieved on the driver seat of an SDV and nobody was willing to step up to it, instead forcing that player to learn the controls on the spot. "I am not good at this" is, unfortunately, an excuse we hear way too often, and that bothers me, especially when new players are involved.

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - doveman - 10-25-2014

(10-24-2014, 11:02 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote: I think medics should not carry heavy weapons/operate critical assets unless it's necessary. I often see a medic carrying RPGs and such when there's other team mates that can do that. Extra ammo is alright.

Is there any harm in the medic carrying a spare RPG (or whatever) though? He shouldn't be expected to be the AT guy as well as medic obviously but unless it slows him down or otherwise interferes with his role, perhaps carrying spares just in case (not for him to use himself but to give to someone else if the AT guy is killed and it's not safe to retrieve his weapon) is OK?

Obviously I wouldn't expect this to happen IRL, as having an RPG slung on his back would surely hamper him from performing his role but maybe in ArmA it's not a problem.

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - doveman - 10-25-2014

(10-24-2014, 09:23 PM)Variable link Wrote: As far as I experienced the answer is yes.

OK.
Quote:Don't take that part so literally.

OK, I understand. I guess it was just the word "constantly" that confused me. Maybe "regularly" would convey more precisely what you meant to say. Smile

Quote:Yeah, good point, I'll add that to the OP.

Thanks.

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - Outlawz7 - 10-25-2014

(10-25-2014, 03:03 AM)doveman link Wrote: Is there any harm in the medic carrying a spare RPG (or whatever) though?

No, as I said, ammo is ok, being the RPG gunner/machine gunner/rambo-of-all-trades isn't as long as there's someone else free to do that.

Re: Medics, wounds and general medical SOP - Variable - 10-25-2014

(10-25-2014, 03:03 AM)doveman link Wrote: Is there any harm in the medic carrying a spare RPG (or whatever) though? He shouldn't be expected to be the AT guy as well as medic obviously but unless it slows him down or otherwise interferes with his role, perhaps carrying spares just in case (not for him to use himself but to give to someone else if the AT guy is killed and it's not safe to retrieve his weapon) is OK?
Read the text again, note the part in bold:
(10-24-2014, 04:08 PM)Variable link Wrote: 8. Medics should not carry heavy weapons/operate critical assets unless it's necessary. Other team mates can do that. Extra ammo is alright.

(10-25-2014, 03:12 AM)doveman link Wrote: OK.
OK, I understand. I guess it was just the word "constantly" that confused me. Maybe "regularly" would convey more precisely what you meant to say. Smile

Thanks.
Ok, I'll change that if it's more clear this way.

I also forgot the part that every time you are first aided in Psycho's AIS, remove any excessive FAK that spawned in your inventory. Adding to OP.