Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 05-02-2016

I'll write down a few thoughts on this in another thread, and post the link here once I am done

Edit: Here it is

Re: The Debriefing Thread - treendy - 05-02-2016

Two totally different experiences, for infantry it was pretty much non stop action from the start (well, for me it felt that way).

Maybe I wouldn't have had as much fun if "Beach Monster" was upfront  Tongue

Loved in my video from 37:05 two enemy vehicles reported, and by 37:18 (only 13 seconds), both were taken out.  One by my AT mine, and one by team Bravo's AT guy, only allowing them to open fire for barely a second.

Its only a shame that the enemy groups didn't stick together as groups, but that im guessing is the AI mod (ASR?)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - UnNamedGER - 05-02-2016

All Alone
(Alfa 1-1)
I like the mission a lot. unfotunately we ran into some problems soon enough.
we inserted without problems and dodged a vehicle patrol when we crossed the road.  when we neared the radio tower all looked quite, we checked from a distance, then approximately 200m out, nothing on the ground, and noon on the tower and checking the area arround we found no enemys.
Only when i went to have a look at the road, I was fired upon. In hindsight I should probably have had the top of the tower checked out on all sides, but I was expecting someone to be looking away from the city, not towards it.
Even before that another problem became apparent, the only grenadier with flares was the AI (alfa 1-4) which was labeled I think scout as were alfa 1-5 and alfa 1-6. since I can#t handle AI worth shit (one of the reasons I never played arma SP) I had left the AI behind on the boat. When we noticed we needed that guy I ordered him to come to us so noone would have to navigate through the night without GPS. That was when I went to the road to take a look and was spotted.
after that we had patrols stumble upon us from time to time which where more or less a problem. the bigger problem was that we still needed that grenadier.
we lost some guys and I hoped someone would take over the grenadier... in vain.
between two contacts I tried to loot a launcher from a dead enemy, unfortunatlely enemys where only carrying smokes and no flares.
when there was fire behind us I knew the grenadier was near and had a few moments to watch him move unphased by the incoming fire, disregarding cover he was passing (I hate AI). I took out the enemys and we got the grenadier up again, I ordered him into cover to try and get him to drop his gun or have someone rejoin into him, but was killed when I paused that to return fire on some new contacts.

all in all my team performed well, especially on the ingression, and we didn't die without a lot of dead enemys arround the tower at least.

(05-02-2016, 12:58 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:All Alone
(VDV Automatic Rifleman)
[...]
Key to this mission is that the Spetsnaz team stays hidden. Hint: When you see a sniper on the load screen of any of my mission, it is meant as a gentle hint that you'll get shot at from above. Really, it's a recurring theme. You see a sniper on a minaret tower or on a crane - there will be snipers on minarets and cranes, and other elevated positions. I never meant to say it this clearly, since I had hoped the picture would raise a certain awareness, but I guess most people only take a quick glance at the load screen anyway.
[...]

such things often don't load for me or if they do, they do load very late (probably they always load pretty late and i just dont get to see them). I often get the feeling I am in the mission some seconds later than most of the others as i can also hear them talking about what's to do, this time was no exeption to that.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 05-02-2016

(05-02-2016, 04:56 PM)Variable link Wrote:I heard a lot of fire from the LAV, personally I thought it was having a lot of action.

Definitely not for the driver, but then, I know that there always has to be a driver and that means one player will always be bored. And I was bored, since I couldn't even turn out, so I was restricted to that ridiculous small view window.

And yeah, I could have said something, and then someone else would have been bored

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 05-09-2016

And the Sky full of Stars
Zeus

The third attempt went better. Swordfish moved faster and arrived earlier at Falar. There is really only light resistance at the crossroad (one fireteam). The lead vehicle (Shilka) ran on the mind and nicely exploded. A couple of the other vehicles were taken out by infantry. The whole affair was made harder because of the lack of ASR AI which makes the AI terminators. It will be interesting to see this unfold with ASR.

I might give the recon team a Stinger, or an RPG-7, although the Stinger might be best since they are most likely elevated and the chopper coming from Feruz Abad is a real bitch. Thankful for comments.

Home Unlimited
Quonset hut dweller

We heard the first shots, I turned around and got a bullet to the face. Nothing else to say, AI is simply too fast with aiming, there was no cover, and it's a Phantom mission XD

CSI Blufor
Machine Gunner in Alpha

Things worked out fine at first. I was taking team blue along the road when we got into the first contact, and we came up right next to the enemy and mowed them down. We then moved onwards and Team Blue occupied a construction site, putting suppressive fire on the white house on the hillside. Unfortunately, there was another group slightly to the left of me that shot me in the face, a (sadly) recurring theme in the evening.

Picnic in Kavala
Low-FPS Team Leader

The setup is nice, mission looks good, but the framerate just killed it for me. I had down to single-digit FPS. I apologize for quitting, but when you can hardly aim, and should also command, it won't work. I got very frustrated in that mission.

Kitkat Boom
Kenny

I got shot at, but managed to get out of the vehicle before I set off the bomb. I survived the original explosion thanks to a bunker in front of me, but bled out soon afterwards.

I don't believe this mission is doable in its current state.

Hot Potato
The Holy Missile

I didn't get to fire Allah's Holy Missile since Varanon "The Eagle" Altair ibn Al-Ahad was faster than me.We were lucky this time that the choppers didn't engage, as they did the first time. Other than that, I guess this was a picture-perfect execution. Too bad Alpha didn't see a lot of action.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Stagwine - 05-09-2016

Sky full of stars [FHQ]
(Command)

Ambush convoy.

First attempt was embarassing. I miscalculate the travel time of the convoy. Shilka steamrolled us while we were preparing and turned team to ketchup.

Last attempt wasn't that bad. Plan was to haul ass, clean light opposition in town, set up mines, hide between buildings and hit remaining vehicles to sides/rear and then have Etzus helicopter to mop up. Godd thing was that Shilka actually hit the mine, teams did actually destroy several vehicles. What was not so good was that remaining tanks chose to steamroll through the buildings, ending it to a huge mess.

We did receive useful info from Maverick/Den 's recon duo, especially of composition of the convoy.  I honestly don't know how boring this was for recon team. I just couldn't think of any meaningful way to utilize them further.  My infantry team leaders (Variable, Varanon) did well in tough time pressure mission and Etzus helicopter was reliably ready to support.  Just wasn't my best day in the loop.

In future it might be better to try the Feruz abad approach after all.

Mission wise I enjoyed it. It had options, very good setting of daytime/milieu. Look forward to play this again.  I would give perhaps 2-3 mins of extra time for convoy but that is matter of preference. Authors intention is that northern approach is hasty and more improvized. It isn't authors fault if team leader misjudges travel time.

(Btw, if you played it, mission is released now:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681354506 )

KitKat Boom
(Some dude with Lee Enfield)

I really don't know how to tackle this. Attempts were one of the better ones and we still got murdered. I think the wave with BRDM-2 and trucks is too much. I do have to say that this mission is definetely in category of 'something else'.

Day on a farm
(Don't ask)

This is becoming one of the tougher ones. Kudos to Etzu for stepping up and taking the lead of this controversial stress test. This was one of the best tries. Catch here is to utilize the resources you have. Artillery, mortar support, reserve launchers.

I decided to release this for public after all. If you played it and don't mind rating / commenting, here it is.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618642005

One possible way:

Picnic Kavala
(Medic)

I liked the setup and idea. This has good potential to be one of the urban crawls. Unfortunately it wasn't really playable for us in its current state.

Hot Potato
(Not sure, but I had FN FAL)

This was very good execution and nice firefight at the compound for Phantom's Bravo. Great job leaders (Variable, Phantom) and good go all around. Mission changer was that the helicopters chose to ignore us, even when we were on vehicles. Fun!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 05-13-2016

Game of Phones

There was an air of Clusterfuckery around this mission, and I am not talking about a friendly grenade here. At Msta, we waited for ages for the other groups to RV, and it seems like I was shot by friendly fire. There has been a number of cases apparently in this mission were people got shot at. Please identify your targets. It's not only that you are shooting at friendlies, it is also that you are shooting at something you don't know who or what it is.

Chedaki wear Kamysh camo, either the blue-grey urban type or the green woodland type. They are paramilitary so they have some semblance of a uniform. NAPA on the other hand mostly wear civilian clothes, the one or the other military part, mostly Gorka tops, or field jackets, in Flecktarn mostly.

Chedaki:
[Image: ROvEEvql.jpg]

Napa:

Crash Site Red
Viper Red Machinegunner

We were lucky about the location this time, the hill south of the crash site provided good cover for our approach, as well as offering Viper Green good overwatch and a base of fire to cover Viper Red and Viper Black on their approach. Still, it's the task of the squad leader to recognize that, and that's what Varanon did. The whole execution went smooth, in and out in a couple of minutes, and IIRC no losses. This mission is always good fun, since it provides quick action and doesn't take overly long. Also kudos to Stag as Viper Green leader, his reports made the difference.

Hello Tanoa
(Op Lead)

Fighting in that town was pretty brutal, sometimes we got around a corner only to be shot at by a bunch of nutjobs in Khet Partugs. We finally arrived at the Tigris, and I wanted to have two synchronized shots on it so that it wouldn't turn around and kill the other team, but apparently it didn't give a fuck about us anyway since the twitchy AT Gunner in Bravo fired first and it didn't even bother to turn its turret.

Well done everybody, too bad the mission was rather boring for Charlie. I'll write something on the mission'S thread about this.

Winter is Coming
Alpha Squad Machine Gunner

Stag's idea was very solid I think, and it might even have worked. However, whatever group was to the right of Alpha forgot to put their AI on hold fire so it gave our position away way too early, and we had the bad luck that there was a BRDM-2 at the base that normally patrols the area.

We should try this approach again next time, I think that it can work.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - UnNamedGER - 05-13-2016

Game of Phones

the friendly fire in mista was my fuck up.
But to be honest, at 100-200 meter all you see from both factions ist guys in green top and green pants or guys in green tops and gray trousers, only the guys with all grey or grey tops seem to make a difference. having respawned I also lacked the info that we had friendly troops further ahead of us in the town especially since we entered quite carefully and were not too sure about who was shooting on the hill to our left. to me it seemed like everyone though the single guy coming from the hill was a friendly unit that got slaughtered by enemys that where ahead of us in the town so I jumped the conclusion and suggested that those where enemys and opened up when allowed to fire on units I Identified as hostiles.
As I said, my fuck up, not trying to deny that, but I wanted to share my view.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 05-13-2016

(05-13-2016, 01:05 PM)UnNamedGER link Wrote:But to be honest, at 100-200 meter all you see from both factions ist guys in green top and green pants or guys in green tops and gray trousers, only the guys with all grey or grey tops seem to make a difference.

That still doesn't mean to shoot everything that moves. Identify the targets and if you are unsure simply hold fire.

Quote: having respawned I also lacked the info that we had friendly troops further ahead of us in the town especially since we entered quite carefully and were not too sure about who was shooting on the hill to our left.

You should ask your teamleader in that case.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Den - 05-13-2016

(05-13-2016, 12:25 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Well done everybody, too bad the mission was rather boring for Charlie. I'll write something on the mission'S thread about this.

I didn't think it was that bad for charlie but it was fairly simple. We had Thermal Sight and powerful weapons so we could easily detect and keep any enemy at bay. Also we took out like 4-5 BRDMs, 2-3 Armed Offroads etc (Nice shooting Variable with Launcher and Alias with MG). Other than vehicles, our infantry probably held back atleast 30-40 EI. Val also had good management of the team (Hope I didn't forget anyone from Charlie, Sorry if I did).

We had a job of defending the airfield and we did just that. That's how some missions are imo, you can't always be in the center of action.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Stagwine - 05-13-2016

Game of Phones [FHQ](FHQ)
(Primary role: Bravo TL. Secondary role: 'The Grenadier')

The friendly frag was me. Embarassing and this incident cursed the mission.

We lost Unnamed and Manuel relatively early in mission. Unnamed at skirmish with enemy recon after scouting Msta and Manuel at action in the town itself.  We regrouped with remains of teams in Msta after a long wait. Charlie merged with Bravo. We eventually cleaned a first suspected camp and spotted the real target at a distance. Assault there was one tough firefight and I was killed by BRDM-2 steamrolling to camp.
Losing alternate channel (and short range) does a lot to situation awareness. In detrimental way. TLs have to constantly to communicate to team what is happening, where are the friendlies, and where are the hostiles. In one incident I spotted team of people coming down the hill. I asked in radio if it is friendly team. No response. We had taken fire from that hill just a minute before. I spotted LR backpack so potential situation was avoided but TLs really have to listen/communicate. A lot. I know battlefield promotion is difficult, but still. People also have to keep eyes open and maintain formation / yell distance to leader. This setup was tough on SA. Forest, grass, no alternate, SR, and bad guys looks a lot like us. Now we know the small differences to look for in camo I think we do better next time. Mission wise this was great stuff with a very good mission idea. Cant wait to play Game of Phones again.

Crash Site Red [FHQ]
(TL - Viper Green)

Good fun mission as always. My teams job was straight forward. Run up the hill, provide overwatch. Action started right away and we spotted several targets. Our job wasn't so much to kill them, just to keep them at bay/distance and make sure they are suppressed and if they shoot,  they shoot us rather than Red+Black at crash site. My team did great, gave me good reports with good bearings => was able to pass the intel along on to overall boss aka Alwarren. 

This was one of our best performances on this mission.

Hello Tanoa
(Medic- Bravo (Manuel))

Hello Tanoas have been quite strange experiences for me and this was no exception. First challenge was to get out of the plane. We succeeded. If Medic is armed with 3 betamags that is a hint of things to come. A&B started the push after the AAA and Charlie remained on stand by at airfield.

We got to several hairy encounters enroute and several of them were very close calls. In one incident a technical truck passed us at close range and in other we came across a full squad of CSAT unloading from the truck. No time to find cover, selector to full auto, support rifle, 100+ rounds on target. Not the smartest move but it was extremely gratifying. After few similar encounters we eliminated the AAA and returned to airfield in commandeered truck and got finally enroute to Tanoa. Great teamwork everyone and leading by Manuel.

Winter is coming (FHQ)
(Command)

We do not s(n)ow, but the clouds certainly did.  Great, great mood.  I wanted to try something 'completely different'. We took a wide berth, and cut through the island far south and approached target hugging the eastern coast, and set up to assault it from NE tip. Big Idea ™ was to utilize only cover we have, the forest patch NE of the target.  Sneak through forest, hug the wall, find a hole and storm the compound using frags.

Teams setup to attack and we started pushing to target in compact line, walking. I was concerned of friendly fire and wanted to keep the formation. Sneak through the snow and fog was quite nerve wrecking experience, especially when we dodged the armor in the fog. We got to 40-50m of target when AI opened fire, and crashed the party. I got stuck on a fallen tree and we quickly lost element of surprise. BRDM joined in = more names for the red god. Yeah, I would like to try this again. After all, what is dead may never die (and I simply cannot think any other way to pull this off)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 05-14-2016

(05-13-2016, 07:05 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:was able to pass the intel along on to overall boss aka Alwarren. 

*cough cough* Varanon *cough cough*

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 05-16-2016

Alpenglow
(Otter-Spotter)

I didn't get to shoot a lot in this mission but I am content with taking a recon role any time.
I found it hard to follow what was going on, mostly because there was only quickly scrolling radio messages and no tasks, meaning that at any time there was little to do but scroll through the backlog. Still, I enjoyed the mission, and from my POV it went well.

The Madness
a (useless) AA Soldier

I took the AA slot, mostly because I thought "so many AT guys I guess I should take this so we are prepared for anything. Sadly, that was not the case, since there was no air thread and I lugged 40 kg around without reason.

One thing that we do frequently (in this mission too) and which rarely works is the following: One team, or the teamleader, moves forward to a Recce position, then orders the other team or members of his team to drive vehicles over the crest and start engaging.

This almost always ends in disaster. One of the reasons I think is the lack of situational awareness. In this case, it was Teck9 and me that were supposed to drive the vehicles up, switch to the gunner seat, and start engaging.

Here's the issue though - I had absolutely no idea how far I had to go to crest the hill, and I had absolutely no idea how things looked once I did. It took me a couple of seconds to even find the target, left alone ranging and starting to effectively engage. That is when I took a missile to the face. I was revived after I got catapulted out of the vehicle, but still, the Hunter HMG was wasted.

So, what do I think should change? Well, two things:
1) Do not restrict this to a single person per vehicle. A driver and a gunner should be in if at all possible, and the gunner can say when he is sufficiently exposed to see the target. The driver can then even disembark and do something else, but until such time as the vehicle is properly positioned, the driver should be in.

2) More importantly, though, don't leave the guys behind when you scout. They should be with the team or team leader to actually have eyes on, and confirm, the position of the targets they are about to engage. If this isn't the case, then there is always going to be a several seconds gap between finding a position for the vehicle, switching to gunner, and starting to engage, a gap that was large enough for one of the AT guys at the checkpoint to get my Hunter destroyed. Had I at least seen beforehand what I was up to, things might have gone different (not in this case since there were plenty of Titan gunners on the other side of the ridge line).

Suchy, I think, was shot shortly after, and I didn't wait until Teck picked up the AT since there was an Iffrit engaging us. I picked it up and fired a missile but the bugger went behind the hillside. Then I was shot.

What I had to witness afterwards was kind of painful to watch. The task was to clear the checkpoints, but the teams moved at glacial speeds, way too slow. In such a case, especially with only sporadic fire coming in from the other side, the machine gunners should suppress the other side while the rest clears the checkpoint. This way the mission took way over an hour, mostly because of indecisive movement and slow action.
(I know I come across like a prick now, not wanting to blame anyone I am just saying what the issue was I observed, not that I would have done better)

Game of Phones
Alwarren, First of his Name, Protector of the Realm, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men

Some days, radio discipline sucks. This was one of these days. I constantly had to talk against someone in the other teams. Now, we didn't have short range radios, but I could hear everyone so I have to assume that everyone could hear me, and in this case this means, if your King speaks, everybody shuts up. Simple as that. This was especially infuriating since it happened again immediately after I mentioned it. I say again, your King speaks, everybody falls silent in awe and listens to his words of wisdom. Next time this happens, I'll have your tongues out with hot pincers.

Ahem...

Well the rest of the mission worked out alright I suppose until we got to the camp. Problem is I didn't really get what decimated us so badly. Certainly the fixed weapons, but it can't have been that alone. Someone who was dead at that time might give some insight on this.

Anyway, we found the USB stick and I was prepared to make a run for it. I saw a guy in brown in front of me, thought "this must be an enemy" and lined up, at which point I earned an extra ventilation hole in my forehead.

Property of Mabunga
Helicopter Bait

Highlight of the mission was the guy on the grill.

This was a pretty moody mission, although the fog was a bit overdone. I had a lot of rubberbanding in the beginning, but it eventually got better. There was a shitload of units on the map (over 200) in a very tight space. It was pretty entertaining, though, more so since the attacks could come in at any time. But it clearly demonstrated that something isn't right with AI vision, they apparently see through the fog since my character reported targets 400 meters away with a visibility of at most 50 meters.

The thing at the end was IMO overdone and superficial. Not only because the fucking choppers crashed right on our heads and killed all but one of the team, also because it simply is pointless to just add some extra few hundred meters to hike.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Stagwine - 05-16-2016

[size=1em]"Some had been heroes, some weaklings, knaves, or cravens. Most were only men - quicker and stronger than most, more skilled with a rifle  and RPG-7, but still prey to desync, TFAR issues, friendly fire, bad frags, poor formations, hunger for kills, and all the other failing that afflicted lesser gamers.

The best of them overcame their flaws, did their duty, and died with their smartphones in their hands. The worst ...
The best were those who played the Game of Phones (FHQ)”[/size]

(Blacksmith -Delta (Misha))

This attempt was lot better. No ton of friendly fire or bad frags. That didn't make it easier though. It was still a tough one.

We scouted Msta and cleared it up, checked out the mast, noted a good reception and came under fire during our way back to vehicles.

New plan was to cut through the forest to west, and approach Staroye (?). Upon Staroye we came under light resistance including a technical truck. We spotted enemy camp at a distance and set course there. During our transit we came under fire from BRDM-2, dashed to forest for cover, and situation escalated rapidly.  Delta was still intact at this point although I heard several casualty reports from other teams. We got order to push to cover of H-barrier surrounding the camp. 

Problem was, we also came under fire from the forest while hugging the H-barrier. At this point we overstayed our welcome there a bit too long and there were further casulties. Misha, Teck, and eventually Etzu.  We RV'd with survivors inside the camp, but I came under fire from forest and my watch was ended. Deathcam revealed a nice swarm of hostiles on all sides. They had simply flanked us. Forest where we started our assault to camp, the same that had been clear a moment ago, had now a fireteam. Same on opposite side and we got sandwiched. Someone in those teams with RPG barbecued our last survivors escaping with the truck.

I think only way to do it is just to keep moving and assault the castle black with brute force as soon as the vehicle threat is dealt with. Grab USB, grab a vehicle and gtfo at best possible speed and hope you can dodge rpgs. Staying still = swarmed. Still it was good attempt, good plan and good leading from those involved.

Another issue is comms. As was said, when Lord Commander speaks, stfu, and another issue is lack of SR. TLs have to inform their team of the big plan, whats happening, etc.  It also means team has to keep in relatively compact formation, in yelling range, and keep head on swivel so you won't lose LOS to your team mates. STHud/Grpinfo helps but it won't save you if you are too far away. Misha did good job in keeping us informed and herding us! 

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Manuel - 05-16-2016

(05-16-2016, 05:33 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:What I had to witness afterwards was kind of painful to watch. The task was to clear the checkpoints, but the teams moved at glacial speeds, way too slow. In such a case, especially with only sporadic fire coming in from the other side, the machine gunners should suppress the other side while the rest clears the checkpoint. This way the mission took way over an hour, mostly because of indecisive movement and slow action.
(I know I come across like a prick now, not wanting to blame anyone I am just saying what the issue was I observed, not that I would have done better)

So yeah, that's on me. I was back at roadblock 3 when Variable (alpha leader) was killed. At that point I did not know what the situation at RB2 and 1 was, I did not know if other teams were still out there and I did not have a plan on how to proceed from were I was. What I knew was that people just got killed trying to approach WP2 so that seemed like a bad idea. I preferred to take a step back, regroup with Charlie and figure things out from there. Sorry if that was painfull to watch but since nobody else seemed to have any better ideas that's how it went down. I just did not want to run head first into a to me unknown situation.