Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 11-15-2013

Radar Love complete, whoo!!  Great mission...flying CAS with Fap was very fun.  Not a lot of AA threats but we were being pretty careful.

Reiterating a note for ck-claw regarding the mission with the divers...Throw some empty backpacks into the supply box if you can, so that the Medic can take one to put the Medkit in (takes up like half the pack, so without a pack it's almost impossible to carry).

Re: The Debriefing Thread - ck-claw - 11-15-2013

There are backpacks/change of clothes etc in ammo boxes  for the divers in Trident Smile

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 11-15-2013

Yes, but I meant for the HALO team...I was the medic and there was no way to take a Medkit because of the parachutes, and no backpacks in the crate.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 11-15-2013

Guys, please. Technical mission related discussion goes to the mission's thread. This topic is for tactical debriefing and AAR.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 11-16-2013

Ah, sorry...didn't even realize a mission forum existed.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Phantom - 11-18-2013

Nice round of AKE Takistan. I was wondering whether to put that pickup PK to use, but didn't want to risk going out in the open as a medic, but good match we completed that.

Double dutch. It probably would've went out better if everyone didn't get wiped out by the lone sniper back at the town. So close to getting rid of that antenna tower with Gwynbleidd. Seems like the best approach after the armor would be to circle around to the back of the town where the antenna and trailer is for the end.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 11-18-2013

(11-18-2013, 12:51 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Nice round of AKE Takistan.

It's "Akte Takistan" btw, which translates to "Takistan file"

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 11-18-2013

(11-18-2013, 12:51 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Double dutch. It probably would've went out better if everyone didn't get wiped out by the lone sniper back at the town.

That sniper was clipping through the wall, as usual, which made spotting him a bit difficult

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Gwynbleidd - 11-18-2013

I felt robbed by the game there at the end of the mission. I got the trailer with the RPG-7, and Phantom shot the antenna with his launcher, but it went straight through. If the game registered the shot, we would be well on our way, looking that city in the mirror of our truck.

On the bright side, Akte Takistan was quite fun, even though I'm not a huge fan of Takistan.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 11-19-2013

Double Dutch:

I generally dislike the "kill the last guy to trigger the counter attack" type of missions, it feels unnatural that the death of the last guy should cause a counter attack, and not the death of the first guy.

Major mistake in the mission was that the sniper that killed all of Bravo team was overlooked TWICE. When team Red made their initial sweep, someone already searched that house and FAILED TO SPOT a guy lying in the attic. I erased the marker on that house because I remembered from last time that there was a guy in there. The second team searching the house did the same. Things would have gone quite differently if that hadn't happened, but since it happened twice, there must have been something specific in that house.

Wood Shots:

I think it would be better to ambush the convoy a few meters up to road, and everybody should place their satchels near a rock or something they can use as a reference. As it were, I didn't see my satchel and could only guess, and it caused me to miss the BTR by half a length, only knocking out one of the rear wheels.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 11-19-2013

OK, About last Sunday:

Akte Takistan

It was pretty messy, with next to no cohesion whatsoever, which is something that is hard to maintain in this urban environment. Still, it showed me my limits when it comes to controlling a group. Sometimes, I just don't know what to do or how to direct. Maybe we can organize some team leadership courses some day ? I could use one.

Lost Squad

Geez, that mission. There's a shitload of luck involved in this mission, and I don't think that there is much that can be planned about it except a general conduct and a broad strategy. It hinges on precise shooting of the anti-tank guys, be it in a tank or with launchers. Miss a shot, and the mission is as good as lost.

Double Dutch

I don't know, the mission is somewhat botched from a technical standpoint (counter attack coming as soon as the last guy is killed, usual problem with CQB in Arma 2). Didn't survive long enough to make it past the town clearing, so can't really say much about the remainder of the mission

Wood Shots

Somehow, convoy ambush almost always includes satchel charges, and those alway include looking at your charge and blowing it in the right moment. And that is never easy and most of the time ends with you being spotted prior to the target rolling over your satchel. The problem of being able to see your satchel is always there and has plagued many ambush missions. The problem was the same here. 'nuff said about it.

Ideally, in such circumstances, you'd have a spotter somewhere high up that hillside (with binocs) where the convoy can't easily detect him, and everyone else in hiding. The spotter can see the satchels, and call out when the target reaches them. Of course, it requires coordination, i.e. the spotter calls out "front satchel" and the guy that placed it must know that it's his. I think that is the most secure way of dealing with this particular problem.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 11-20-2013

(11-19-2013, 01:02 PM)Varanon link Wrote:Akte Takistan

It was pretty messy, with next to no cohesion whatsoever, which is something that is hard to maintain in this urban environment. Still, it showed me my limits when it comes to controlling a group. Sometimes, I just don't know what to do or how to direct. Maybe we can organize some team leadership courses some day ? I could use one.

This is practically a defence type mission. Such missions don't require much leading apart from a basic plan, which I think was well led in this case! My position with the MG and AT was great and just because you told me to be on that spot I managed to kill both T-55, a good tradeoff for my virtual life which ended quite abruptly after firing the second SMAW and raging all the taliban.
As a leader in a defence mission I think one just had to lay out a basic defence plan and then just participate as a player, maybe just encouraging all to keep on reporting their contacts, and shifting forces accordingly. In this mission the lack of convenient detection range made that even harder.

(11-19-2013, 01:02 PM)Varanon link Wrote:Lost Squad

Geez, that mission. There's a shitload of luck involved in this mission, and I don't think that there is much that can be planned about it except a general conduct and a broad strategy. It hinges on precise shooting of the anti-tank guys, be it in a tank or with launchers. Miss a shot, and the mission is as good as lost.
I kinda disagree here. Let me suggest a plan that will not rely on the AT gunner skills. I don't have a problem with some meta-gaming that is required to beat that mission Smile

Careful placement of the six mines where we know the tanks stop on. When the tanks roll down the hill everybody hold fire and go prone behind cover. Tank gunner (arrrgg!!!) disembarks as well. Once the tanks starts setting off the mines help them die with short range AT and T-72 fire. I think we can do that and once completed it will be very gratifying!

(11-19-2013, 01:02 PM)Varanon link Wrote:Double Dutch

I don't know, the mission is somewhat botched from a technical standpoint (counter attack coming as soon as the last guy is killed, usual problem with CQB in Arma 2). Didn't survive long enough to make it past the town clearing, so can't really say much about the remainder of the mission
I'm struggling with the urge to call this mission completed... Maybe one more try now that we know what to do to avoid the clipping sniper?

(11-19-2013, 01:02 PM)Varanon link Wrote:Wood Shots
Ideally, in such circumstances, you'd have a spotter somewhere high up that hillside (with binocs) where the convoy can't easily detect him, and everyone else in hiding. The spotter can see the satchels, and call out when the target reaches them. Of course, it requires coordination, i.e. the spotter calls out "front satchel" and the guy that placed it must know that it's his. I think that is the most secure way of dealing with this particular problem.
I like this idea.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 11-20-2013

Skirmish at Silent Rock:

I can't help it, this mission is... hard. I dislike the fact that you do not get any time at all to properly prepare. With a bit more time we could have placed satchels or mines; as it is now, you hardly even get a look around to orient where the stationary turrets are. Also, I tend to just die in the mission. I just dropped dead, I haven't got the slightest clue how since I didn't even hear a bullet or a shot.

Radar Defeat:

There were two contributing factors to the failure of this mission: The BMP's demise, and the CDF that was left in the town.

About the latter, it might be a good idea to have the BMP and infantry sweep the town before taking out the radar, making sure that the back is clear. After the radar is destroyed, all attention is focused the other way.

About the former, the position of the BMP on that counter attack wasn't too bad but still got shot up. Ideally, there would be a position where only the turret pops out, maybe behind the barricades at the radar; alternatively, we might try to position it further away.

Until we bleed:

The naming of the groups is slightly confusing, which makes the initial phase difficult. There is a lot of planes in the air, and I made the mistake of ordering everyone to the front line right away. It might be better to stay for a few minutes and let the Shilka take care of the air targets first before advancing to the ridge line.

Dourdan Rescue:

I was shot too early in the mission to say much about yesterday's execution.

Finish Post:

I think that went very well, and was a rare case where I actually enjoyed leading the mission Big Grin Forest fights against the AI are always a bitch. Too bad we lost Maverick at the end with no AI left to join. If this has taught me one thing, it's that small units of four men (aka fire teams) are the most manageable asset, and are very effective when left to perform individual tasks.

The only thing that I would have to criticize was that sometimes I had to wait long for a reply. I appreciate that a team under fire will have its difficulties replying, a short "Hold on" would be sufficient in that case.

Other than that, great work from everybody Smile

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 11-20-2013

(11-20-2013, 03:39 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:There were two contributing factors to the failure of this mission: The BMP's demise, and the CDF that was left in the town.

About the latter, it might be a good idea to have the BMP and infantry sweep the town before taking out the radar, making sure that the back is clear. After the radar is destroyed, all attention is focused the other way.

Definitely. It was stupid of me not to sweep the town.

(11-20-2013, 03:39 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Finish Post:

I think that went very well, and was a rare case where I actually enjoyed leading the mission Big Grin Forest fights against the AI are always a bitch. Too bad we lost Maverick at the end with no AI left to join. If this has taught me one thing, it's that small units of four men (aka fire teams) are the most manageable asset, and are very effective when left to perform individual tasks.

The only thing that I would have to criticize was that sometimes I had to wait long for a reply. I appreciate that a team under fire will have its difficulties replying, a short "Hold on" would be sufficient in that case.

Agreed, that was a very enjoyable mission and well lead on this one.

I also agree about the fire team size. This works of course also with larger groups that are chopped up, but I think it's definitely best to make missions with smaller teams, breaking the big teams up if needed.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 11-20-2013

Great job last night on finish post, everybody, but especially Alwarren.
The non responsiveness is indeed a problem, but it's sometimes hard to stay attentive to that many channels. When the leader addresses a team it's the job of all it's members to make sure that the team leader respond, so if your leader does not reply, or reply in the wrong comm channel, let him know.