Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 01-11-2016

Crash Site Red

Things worked until the APC decided it didn't like my face and put a shell into it. I had seen the crew get out before (at least that is what I thought was jumping out) so it came as a surprise to me that the turret still moved. Then it replaced my head with a face-sized hole.

Goram Interdiction

Having just finished a mission at that place myself (Prodigal Son), I know how hard it is for the AI to use the road from the riverbed, so the convoy of Doom never even arrived at Goram. BRDM took me out as well. I love FATA, but the map has severe AI issues. Need to see what can be fixed within CUP Terrain Pack.

Valiant Hammer

I had considered adding GPSes but I didn't really want to since I thought the confusion would be part of the appeal of the mission, but I am not too sure anymore.

It was pretty close. I am contemplating to add a bit of time to the convoy - right now, it really takes about eight minutes between the radio message and the convoy passing the marker on the map. I guess extending that to 12 or so minutes would make it easier. The mission hinges on capturing transports, but there are plenty of them around. Again, lack of GPS makes it difficult to find the ammo dump - I might add a smoke grenade or chemlight to make it easier.

TBH, I did not expect players to actively attack the sentry camps. There was a wide gap inbetween two of them which I expected us to try and sneak through, but then, my missions are rarely played like I expect them to be played Big Grin And those parts worked really well, good leading by Den and the three team leaders - I admit that navigation in that environment is pretty damn hard.

Prodigal Son

The setup made it look easier than it is. As a matter of fact, there aren't THAT many enemies, mostly small 2-3 men teams here and there, but the issue are the vehicles. I don't know if you noticed, but there are two APC's, a BTR-80 that comes up from the riverbed as well as a parked BMP-1 with crewmen next to it. Taking them out before the alarm goes off will make this available for players to use, good against the Hind if you can manage to hit it fast enough. Other than that, there are launcher crates around, but finding them is difficult in the chaos.

Gloomy Morning

Apart from one of the tasks not work, this was a very solid mission. I don't think I made any grave mistake leading this one. Under circumstances like these, I like to try and reduce the distance to enemies since we were underpowered when it came to long range capabilities, so I like to get into M203/GP-25 range/Iron sight range for more effective targetting, since the enemies were also occupied with the rest of our guys.

Luckily there were no fixed gun installation at the enemy camp, might have gone much worse there. A few nice OG-7 shots took out quite a lot of enemies, and team Red did a good job at suppression.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Den - 01-12-2016

(01-11-2016, 02:36 PM)Varanon link Wrote:[FHQ] Valiant Hammer

Navigating in the forest without a GPS was kind of scary, but we made it more or less. The camps were pretty easy to deal with, but the vehicles were another thing altogether. Too bad we didn't catch the tanks in time.

The problem on this mission was keeping awareness of the other teams. Without GPS, and with little to no clear line of sight, it was hard to not shoot friendlies.

Den did some good leading on the first part of the mission. Unfortunately, ditching the long range was a fatal mistake, leaving the team without leadership for a minute in a critical situation. That basically failed the mission. Communication is key in such situations, and that was totally missing.

I have to agree with you there. Dropping the LR was a huge mistake on my behalf and I apologise for it. It was stupid thinking under the pressure of the timer running out, getting to help the ATers left behind since they were reporting contacts and not playing attention to who is around me at the time. Rushing things is not a good decision.

Regarding the decision to leave the AT-ers there it was either we take them with us, convoy drives by and mission fails or leave them there, hope they can stall the convoy until we get back and we have a chance. They were not alone since like 2-3 people stayed behind from Charlie too but even if they were alone, in my opinion it was a risk that had to be taken to buy more time.

I agree with leaving nobody alone/behind but in my opinion sometimes sacrifices (or big risks) might have to be made for the success of mission (This is a game, not regarding real life ofc). Another example was last week when Unnamed drove the LAV on his own (With the risk of getting obliterated by Abrams) but had no other choice since mission would fail.

Once we caught up with the tanks at the T-Junction, for some reason everyone stood there thinking they were disabled or something but the next scene was like something from Laurel and Hardy. Tanks stand there, don't engage us, we plant explosives. They just drive off before detonation.  :Smile

(01-11-2016, 04:45 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Valiant HammerI had considered adding GPSes but I didn't really want to since I thought the confusion would be part of the appeal of the mission, but I am not too sure anymore. It was pretty close. I am contemplating to add a bit of time to the convoy - right now, it really takes about eight minutes between the radio message and the convoy passing the marker on the map. I guess extending that to 12 or so minutes would make it easier. The mission hinges on capturing transports, but there are plenty of them around. Again, lack of GPS makes it difficult to find the ammo dump - I might add a smoke grenade or chemlight to make it easier.TBH, I did not expect players to actively attack the sentry camps. There was a wide gap inbetween two of them which I expected us to try and sneak through, but then, my missions are rarely played like I expect them to be played  And those parts worked really well, good leading by Den and the three team leaders - I admit that navigation in that environment is pretty damn hard.

TBH I thought about avoiding the camps but I thought they were a little close together for comfort of smuggling 15 US soldiers through.

I agree with maybe making the ammo dump easier to spot since we had wasted a lot of time on that and especially since they're just explosives and this assumes we have to plant them in front of tanks at the very least. By the time we had them, the vehicles were long gone.

Regarding the transports, I think this should also lead to a small time increase since URALs are terrible offroad. We were driving at like 10-20 KM/h. They did dodge the rockets that were being fired at us well..

Good mission still, would like to re-try it, Good job FHQ.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Manuel - 01-12-2016

Hello Tanoa
I know I'm late but anyways:
The first half was pretty standard for me, I was the Medic of Alwarrens team. Follow along, keep your head down, keep people healthy... then things went south on the airport, most of my team bit the dirt.
Unnamed, Kah and me somehow survived. Kah and me hunkered down in a small hut when the immortal Abrams appeared, unnamed used an APC to distract it so that other teams could RPG it. He left his LR behind, so Kah and I could listen in to whats going on and wouldnt have to retrieve it from under the tanks nose. There has been a lot of writing about what happens now, so I'll skip ahead a little.
The Abrams is dead, only 5 men left, Stag, Den,  unnamed, Kah and me. We knick a helicopter and head out to the next airport (although Den proposed to just fly the helicopter to Tanoa...). Along the way from our LZ to the airport we had some small encounters that were easily delt with
On the airport things got more intense. Rebells were fighting US troops and we used the chaos as cover. One encounter after another made it harder and harder to keep spirits up. Somehow we managed to stay alive though (I still had direct orders from Alwarren to stay alive mind you). Luck would have it that we found our way out of Chernarus at the apron, a nice C130 waiting to be knicked. More tanks and such were also waiting however, so we had to deal with those first. We spot some weapon caches on the opposite side of the runway so we start our first crossing of the open field beyound the runway threshold.
Den, who has been the de-facto leader since we left the first airport with a chopper, leads us to cover behind a hanger. The weapons we spotted earlier are in the open. I focus on covering our back. Den decides to sneak to the weapons and risk a shot at the Abrams. He manages to do so, but dies in the process. Well shit, now what? Unnamed takes the initiative and goes for the weapons to take another shot. Somehow he manages to make it out alive, we need to find new AT weapons though. Stag spots some crates in another Hangar, on the opposite side of the runway, right were we came from...
Things get hot here anyways, we've been fighting off infantry for a while now. Time to move back. After some fights along the way we end up at the Hangar closest to the C130. Stag, who has taken lead by now, makes us vote on wheter to just try our luck bording the airplane or take out the tank first. We decide to take out the tank, and manage to do so. We get rushed by more infantry however. It's now or never, Stag tells us to get to the Hercules. Unnamed first, he's going to fly. I'm behind him, jump in the co-pilot seat. Stag and Kah follow, we are all in and taxiing.
I have a really bad feeling about this, we never managed to complete the "destroy AA" task at this airport. Nevermind, we take off without much resistance. Are we really gonna make this? Are we seriously going to die now after 2 hours? I can't get my head around either option. Doesn't matter, after a couple minutes we are well clear of the battles on the ground, it's done! 2 hours of stress, anxiety and frustration break out in a genuine burst of relieve and euphoria! If the way there would have been any easier the conclusion wouldn't have been near as satisfying and plain awesome.

Crash Site Red (past Thursday)
I was leading Viper Green, for a very short time... I got shot off the bench just before deployment. There was an AI left in Viper Green, so I jiped. That guy was still sitting in the chopper however, so I asked unnamed (the pilot) to drop me off. He did so right were he was (already leaving the AO) ("Just head south (?), you should find the others there" - "Ah...thanks buddy...").
What happened next turned out to be somewhat of a privat little adventure admitst the battle going on around me.
I had no real idea where I was. Hm, let's see... maybe I can reach somebody via radio, could be I'm still in range. "Viper Green, come in?" Evans (if I remember correctly) answered. I told him what happened to me and asked him to take over Viper Green, I'm in no position to lead now.
Now I have to figure out where I am. There are wind turbines near by, that should make it easy. And so it did, I made my way up the hill to the turbines and got in contact with Viper Red. Turns out they were just on the other side of the hill, headed my way. So I stayed up there, providing overwatch and some fire support as far as possible from up there. After a short while I rejoined with Viper Red and what was left of Viper Green. You know the rest of the story...

Prodigal Son
I led Bravo into battle, and probably aged 5 years doing so. It started pretty slow and easy, spot targets from the hill. Some infantry around the AO, nothing too heavy. Varanon, Alpha leader, presents the plan, move along the blue line, easy enough.
We move out, Misha, Stag, Suchy and me (did I forget somebody?). We descend into a ditch. I hear gunshots in the distance so I expedite, maybe Alpha will need us soon. We come to the end of the ditch and we encounter our first enemies, hidden in bushes. I see a small house close to us, we can take cover there. Under sporadic fire we run over there "Alpha, Bravo, we are at the end of the blue line, we have some infantry contacts but we can hold out" (I'm paraphrasing, I can't exactly what was said).
I peak around the corner and get shot at immediatly "Alpha, Bravo here, we have infantry contacts from two sides now".
I take some hits, but the others get me back up fast. More gunfire from front and behind. We manage to thin them out however and stand our ground. Engine sound... We spot an offroad truck with .50 cal but we take out the gunner fast. More engine sounds, this time it's a BTR or something similar... "Alpha this Bravo! We have an APC close by, we have no AT capabilities! We need help!" "Alpha copies, hold on, we'll take care of it." "Ok guys, stay in cover, Alpha is on the way!".
More and more infantry attacks, now a whole squad advances on us (and probably much more hidden in bushes). "Shit! Alpha, Bravo again. We are engaged from all sides now!" I was almost getting bored because we weren't engaged from above yet. Fortunately a chopper was already approaching to take care of that. We take fire from five sides now... "ALPHA BRAVO! WE ARE ENGAGED BY A GUNSHIP! I DON'T KNOW IF WE CAN HOLD OUT MUCH LONGER!"
We somehow managed to take out most infantry to our front and right. The APC also moves for some reason. I don't know where it went (which is bad) but it's not in position to attack us anymore (which is good). We take cover in the small building now, bad position to return fire but the gunship forces us to do so.
We can't sit around here much longer, I have a moment to make up my mind. There's a big building nearby, looks like we took out the infantry in there already. "Guys, we'll move to the building across the road, one by one, get ready." Next thing the wall next to me collapses and the copper flies over my now exposed head. That's the moment when plans go out the window...(which wasn't there anymore anyways...) "RUN! Everybody get to the next building! NOW!"
Holy crap, we crossed the streat! Misha-"I'll check the crates over there for AT weapons", good idea. Head count, somebody's missing. "Stag? Where are you?" "I'm hit, I'm still on the other side of the road, I'll try to reach you" "Fuck! How much time do you have?" "Two minutes" "Crawl, let me know when you are at sixty seconds"
I check the rest of the building in the meantime. All clear. I go back to the entrance. "Misha, Suchy, one of you get ready to treat Stag." Only Suchy responds. "Suchy, you'll get Stag". Stag - "50 seconds!" We take fire, I see muzzle flashes right were we came from. "Misha, cover fire left of our old building! Suchy go get Stag!" Suchy responds and moves. I start surpressing. I don't hear Misha firing. "Misha! Start shooting!" Nothing. I look around and see a body next to the ammo crates he was talking about earlier. Shit...
Suchy and Stag make it back to the building alive. Stag and I head upstairs, maybe we can spot the APC from earlier. "Alpha Bravo, we changed position, marked on map. We'll try to spot the APC no..." The building collapses around me.
The gunship never stopped to attack us, but it was relatively ineffective so far. It was done playing around however. Stag was the only one to make it out alive.
In case it didn't come across, awesome mission and great work by my team, sorry I didn't get us out alive...

Re: The Debriefing Thread - UnNamedGER - 01-15-2016

co13_fhq_crash_site_red

Dropping off Viper Green for Griffing Green 2 to pick up and inserting Viper Red worked without problem. Afterwards I went to proof another time that a transport chopper is not fot recon ( it doesn't even have sensors). The first rocket damaged the mainrotor and tailrotor and I though I might be able to land, but the two AA launchers kept firing and the second hit took out the engine. I was deploying flares all the time, but there is no way to do anything in the way of evasive manuvers with a taru... especially when the rocket has less than 500m to cover.

Also I prefer waiting to extract someone to being sent to spectator.

Would be nice if Arma allowed for helicopter pilots to jump out while the helicopter is rising, fter the first hit I might have been able to jump since I could still gain altitude but there was no way I would recover control before they took another shot at me.
Another thing I onl yhad on this mission so far is that wfter crashing the chopper when I am wounded and get out of it, I instantly die. In bloodlines last week I was able to get out and be revived, is it a problem of the Taru or is it the mission that does this ?
co@14_not_today

With all the smoke this was like a slide show for me with my FPS rarely rising into two digits. maybe that was why i reportet a maschinegunner in front of our team at the cross road and didng realise the tracers where coming from an APC behind us. sorry for the wrong report Den.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 01-15-2016

Crash Site RED

(01-15-2016, 09:51 AM)UnNamedGER link Wrote:Also I prefer waiting to extract someone to being sent to spectator.

Well I beg to differ. You did fly off straight over the target, the first thing I thought when you had dropped us off and flew away was "He's going to get shot down". I would have circled the area at a wide range, maybe get closer after a while.

I had one nice shot at the armed Hunter, hit it square in its side and it lit up like a Christmas Tree. The next time I tried to take a shot (at the APC) the latter one planted a 30 mm shell squarely in my face. Ouch.

All in all, good work. I liked how the AI behaved on this one, especially the group that flanked around the fence and got into our side (well, your side - I was spectating).

Not Today

Great mission. The beginning was a bit slideshowish for me too, lots of explosions, particles, etc. I liked the premise of the mission, and I liked the atmosphere. All in all a really great experience.

One thing I noticed is that we had some false reports of vehicle classes. It's not a big issue, but a BRDM-2 is quite a different threat category than a BMP-2. Not trying to be patronizing here, don't get this the wrong way. I am going to start a new thread with an identification guide for vehicles.

Jolly Green

Not much to say about this, I was the last man standing and raked up quite a number of kills. Some of the enemies literally ran into the door I was guarding and started to pile out outside. A key factor to this mission for the helicopter pilot is: Keep comms up. You need to be constantly in contact with the ground team so you can see when the signal gets better or worse. Also, the ground team neither had maps nor compasses, so there is no way to mark it and most of the time no way to state a direction.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - UnNamedGER - 01-15-2016

(01-15-2016, 12:31 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Crash Site RED

Well I beg to differ. You did fly off straight over the target, the first thing I thought when you had dropped us off and flew away was "He's going to get shot down". I would have circled the area at a wide range, maybe get closer after a while.

well... in that distance i had to the lanchers I was not yet able to see theshooter before the rocket went into the air, circling wider I would probably have missed even vehicles that don't have headlights on, so no recon either Big Grin .

just noticed, how the hell did i have a warning for a failed tailrotor on a Taru xD,  it doesn't have a tailrotor.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 01-15-2016

(01-15-2016, 12:37 PM)UnNamedGER link Wrote:well... in that distance i had to the lanchers I was not yet able to see theshooter before the rocket went into the air, circling wider I would probably have missed even vehicles that don't have headlights on, so no recon either Big Grin .

Yeah, what I meant was that if you keep your distance you will have a much better chance to evade the AA missiles fired at you. You can always get closer afterwards, but it is better to stay in the air first and foremost.

Quote:just noticed, how the hell did i have a warning for a failed tailrotor on a Taru xD,  it doesn't have a tailrotor.

The one-cockpit-fits-all mentality Wink

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Stagwine - 01-15-2016

FHQ Crash site red

Now that I think of it, being Viper Black wasn't so bad after all.

Our helicopter missed LZ by half a klick. I saw it going off course but trying to talk in radio in helo was useless. No problem, thats why we have feet and are called infantry.  However our LZ was much further to south than planned and our new course to objective put us through the city.

Viper Black in tow we heard gunshots while approaching western edge of town, and our push to east was halted by APC. After brief radio exchange we decided to bypass it from the north. So far so good. Enroute to objective we had small skirmish with infantry which was deal with VG+VB. We got to walled shack 70m from our objective until the thing hit the fan. We took APC fire through the walls, and VR told us to stay put and wait for the cavalry. Not that there were any choices. It was open ground to  our target and we had no means to deal with APC. I saw approaching friendlies trading shots with hostiles close, and that was last thing I saw. Good night.

GJ finishing the mission guys, and routing the APC. It limped away on two wheels to lick its wounds. Not sure if this was AI or Varanon as jipped Zeus?

I really like this one. Simple, replayable and fun. I'm glad we have more replayable stuff in CSI/LS style. Good interim snack!

Not today!

I am hypercritical fussy princess about my own missions and I wanted to see from the sky how AI behaves with this one. Besides remnant from my DM/RPG days is that I like dungeonmastering and that's what curator basically is.

Basically players approached mission as I had planned it.  Gist of the mission is that it is kind of a race. No matter how much you kill, you cannot win. If you stay still, eventually you will be overran. Briefing warns you of hostile armor on flanks and that is first indication to stay in cover of city. Smart thing to do, is to GTFO.  You narrowly avoided  being hailstormed at airfield and the gauntlet began.

Mission did pretty good as a standalone package and I had to do relatively minor adjustments. However there were some notable surprises. One was framerate issues. I tested this with less players, and people reported ok rates so I kept the eyecandy. However this time several people reported issues. I tone it down for workshop release, but sorry it ruined experience.

One surprise  was wandering city-Shilka as soon you hit the first junction. That Shilka was supposed to remain stationary in north to push player to cover of buildings. However it chose to enter town to a little ad hoc seek and destroy mission terminator style like a boss. Spotting the Shilka was as much WTF for me as it was for you.

At this phase I intervened. That isn't what Shilka is about. BRDMs are recon vehicles. Shilka isnt. Another issue is that Shilka fire destroys buildings really easily. It would have ended mission for you quickly, and this was unintended incident. I rolled my trusty dice, and saving throw got you out of jail. I gave you couple of mins window  to eliminate it, and then drove it away manually as angry Takistani commander was reprimanding them for leaving their assigned post.

Another surprise was that AI which was supposed to be stationary in strategic locations in main street on balconies was not there. They had disappeared and it appears they had chosen to abandon their posts and actively hunt you. I think gist is ASR AI which trades more information among groups than usual vanilla AI. They turned to hunters and actively chased you. This wasn't necessarily bad, it just made the mission slightly different. I personally don't like missions where is no lull in action at all. It numbs.  This turned out to be more of a stress test than intended but such happens. That's Arma. 

I was a big softie and in general I prefer subtle additions best. In couple of incidents I sandwiched you with flankers and AI worked with mixed result. You handled it like pros, and at least in one phase you had lot of people down at same time. While curators job is to as much to help you guys to have fun and to win as to torment, I got my share of sadistic pleasure. I tried to simulate information going  through enemy chain of command and more you stayed in same spot, more enemies you got directed at your way.

In the end Marine gunship saved you a there was 2 vehicles in ambush position. It engaged the vehicles and some infantry with rockets before it was shot down. It enabled you to make a final push to villa.

This was my first but certainly not last CUP of Arma. I find CUP stuff absolutely great and use them more in future. 

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 01-16-2016

(01-15-2016, 04:29 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:GJ finishing the mission guys, and routing the APC. It limped away on two wheels to lick its wounds. Not sure if this was AI or Varanon as jipped Zeus?

I didn't do anything as Zeus but place the trucks in the end. So, it was the AI (a guy named Parker, if you want to know Big Grin)

(01-15-2016, 04:29 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:I am hypercritical fussy princess about my own missions and I wanted to see from the sky how AI behaves with this one.

I guess every mission maker is. I sure am

(01-15-2016, 04:29 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:I find CUP stuff absolutely great and use them more in future. 

It's a lot of stuff in the package, that makes it extremely useful. And later, we might replace some of the older stuff with newer models or textures. Someone already made new textures for the Offroad (the Napa one with the machine gun) and it makes the whole thing already look so much better.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 01-17-2016

FHQ Crash site red

So I was piloting Griffin 2, carrying Viper Black and Viper Green to their LZ. I didn't realise I'd defaulted to the vehicle LR, so I could hear Variable on my backpack LR but he couldn't hear me when I transmitted. Anyway, I heard him warn of the AA and saw it firing at someone shortly after, so veered away from it and in the process lost the LZ on my GPS.

I considered flying back to the LZ but felt it was better to get boots on the ground rather than risk getting us all shot down, so after getting the OK from Viper I put her down so that they could get on with the job.

I shut down the engines and sat there for about five minutes before deciding I should move to the LZ as it would be more convenient for Viper to be picked up there rather than coming all the way back to me. However, shortly after spooling up but before even taking off a large projectile (looked like a rocket or missile) came flying straight through my front window and buried itself in my face and that was all she wrote. Was fun spectating anyway, good job on finishing the mission guys.

Not today!

There was something about this that really appealed to me. I think it was the urban setting and how we really needed to check our flanks as we were moving down the street, which kept up the suspense. Several times I spotted enemies running about to our left which could have flanked us or come up behind us if we hadn't been checking and that increased the immersion. I had a cockup with the radio on this one as well, as I switched to Ch.1 after setting the LR freq on the alternate channel, when I should have been on Ch.2, so when I went down I wondered why no-one was responding to my cries for help but luckily Variable noticed me and came to my rescue. I'll never get my radio operator badge at this rate will I!

Jolly Green
I didn't last long on this one. After I died and saw the first Ifrit ram the building I was sure it was going to demolish it and everyone inside but impressively they held their own against overwhelming numbers of enemies advancing from all directions. When the second Ifrit parked itself right next to the door of the building, I joked that our guys could pop outside and pull the enemy out before commandeering it to use against the enemy but I don't think that sort of thing is possible in ArmA.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 01-19-2016

Autumn Star

Now, I didn't catch a lot of the mission since I fell prey to the effect of looking through a scope while getting too close to the edge of the quarry. But what I saw of the mission, I didn't really get.

1) I understand that Suchy's mission-maker perspective idea was for Alpha to silently assault the comms tower, but from what I gathered in the briefing that wasn't the commander's intent (sorry I forgot who lead the mission). We drove all the way through the forest to remain undetected only to get assigned a disembark point for Bravo which was in plain sight of the tower, so apparently stealth wasn't on the menu.

Why then, I wonder, was the much larger Bravo team holding while a four man team assaulted the place? Wouldn't logic dictate to do this the other way around, with Alpha covering from an armed vehicle while Bravo assaulted the place? From a position were we could only see marginally into the camp, with mostly short-range weaponry. I did not understand the reasoning behind this.

2) Once up on top of the quarry, we spotted the Shilkas as well as several T-72 and a BTR-80. The T-72 actually spotted us, and had opened fire on us. I reported this, and was still commanded to engage the Shilka that wasn't even aware of us, while the tank had started to home in on me with his machine gun.

This was the first time I remember in my history of playing at CiA were I intentionally and willfully ignored a direct order and engaged the tank (sadly, too late since I was suck between the rocks and missed my first shot). I understand that our team leader (Evans IIRC, I should not wait so long with writing these) was ordered by command to ignore the tanks and engage the Shilka, but I would say this was not the decision that command should have taken. The safety of Bravo was severely compromised at this point, and my frequent messages that the tank was engaging us were ignored.

I don't know how the rest of the mission went down. But the lesson to be learned from this is that a team leader that is actively in the situation should make the call of what target to prioritize, and not the commander that is behind.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Den - 01-19-2016

(01-19-2016, 04:28 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:(sorry I forgot who lead the mission)

SPhoenix was the leader in Autumn Star.

We managed to succeed in the mission. Apache and Bravo disabled Tank/Shilkas  and I disabled the 2 BTRs/Armed UAZs with the M107 (Maybe small video soon if it's not shit).

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 01-19-2016

(01-19-2016, 05:51 PM)Den link Wrote:We managed to succeed in the mission. Apache and Bravo disabled Tank/Shilkas  and I disabled the 2 BTRs/Armed UAZs with the M107 (Maybe small video soon if it's not shit).

Succeed or not, and mind, I wasn't there, but I too find it slightly strange to be ordered to ignore a target that is actively engaging you in favor of attacking a target that is unaware of you.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 01-19-2016

(01-19-2016, 05:51 PM)Den link Wrote:SPhoenix was the leader in Autumn Star.

We managed to succeed in the mission. Apache and Bravo disabled Tank/Shilkas  and I disabled the 2 BTRs/Armed UAZs with the M107 (Maybe small video soon if it's not shit).

I wasn't trying to make fun of, or discredit, anyone, and yeah, the mission was won in the end. However, I thought that the two points I mentioned are valid, and quite frankly I am surprised the tank didn't kill more people.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - SPhoenix - 01-19-2016

Couple of points (sorry guys I'm on mobile).

- Assaulting the tower: indeed I did not mean for this to be a stealthy attack. I didn't understand from the briefing that this was even an option. I was expecting a significant outpost with strong resistance on top of the hill . The strategy was for Bravo to suppress and draw out the enemy from a fortified position while Alpha flanks and destroys the tower. Two mistakes: misjudged the distance between Bravo and the tower, and Alpha got surprised by a patrol while getting in position.

- Prioritizing the Shilkas: I understand your concerns and as a matter of fact I was unaware of the T72s engaging you until I had eyes on them, I thought the fire was coming from the Shilkas. Either I misunderstood or that information didn't make it over comms. One way or the other, I actually stand by my commands. I trust you to be able to manage threats effectively without micromanaging your operation. If a tank engages you and you are in clear danger, that is and always will be your priority. However, all things being equal, your main objective at the time was to take out the Shilkas and should you have an equal shot at the Shilkas or the T72s, given the same amount of danger, I would have expected you to engage the Shilkas. This would have (and did) allow air support to get on station and quickly dispatch remaining armor units.

I hope this makes sense and I'm very happy to hear different opinions. You decided to target the T72, I don't know the situation precisely but that sounds like the right call to me. You still got around to destroying the Shilka,  which was your objective. As far as I'm concerned you performed very well, the how matters relatively little (from a commanding perspective).