Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 10-28-2015

Wonderful post Stagwine! I loved reading it. I am always concerned for Zeus to get bored in non-clean-slate missions, and I am glad you enjoyed that role.

Plant Your Fields
My voiced disappointment in this mission was because initially, I felt that I don't need to micromanage the ATGM attack from the military base and the results proved me wrong. Let me illustrate how I think it should get executed:
1. All teams clear the military base from the north (as was done).
2. While the command team and the AT team are holding back, AA moves southwards slowly and spots the SPAAG.
3. Once found, AA team relays the position of the SPAAG to the AT team in terms of bearing and range.
4. AA team pulls back.
5. AT team sends ONE GUY forward to take the shot. All the other units from both teams are safely BACK.
6. AT guy attempts a launch and assess the hit.
7. In case of a miss, AT guy repositions to try another angle (it's possible to hit it from the hill, we've done that twice), until the target is destroyed. Pulling back to rearm in case missiles are running out.
8. Target destroyed, all teams pull the fuck back to the north. No casualties.

What did happen was a cluster-fuck of units that contributed nothing to the ATGM launch, but sat there regardless, making themselves a target to the return fire from the town.
I thought that it's trivial, but I'll be more clear next time.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - UnNamedGER - 10-28-2015

i absolutely love the diary entry stag and of course the mission

Re: The Debriefing Thread - McGregor - 10-28-2015

Brilliant read Stag! Loved the mission too. Even though I got blown to pieces  ;D

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Stagwine - 11-11-2015

FHQ Felis Infernalis

This had to be one of the toughest nuts to crack so far (anything else from a FHQ mission would be just wrong). As always, lot of effort, detail and lot of tactical options (vehicle support, air support), etc.

Mission had great atmosphere of action and outright panic. SPhoenix's team took constant fire from that damn hill for first half of the mission which caused lot of headache and casualties. I had huge sadistic grin when I saw Unnamed putting gatling rounds and rockets to those hillsides of Doom. I think we dropped at least 30-40 enemies to that damn hill alone. I would be curious to know what was the body count in total. It must have been almost under strenght company defending the objective!

We RVd with other squad at end of the mission and defeated one counterattack without much of a headache. It would be fun to read how the mission was experienced from other team's perspective (other inf team, air, apc support).

While the Psychos revive is best 'on the market', it sometimes shows strange results. I think Sphoenix was down at least 5 times during the mission. I think it is related to damage type. Headshot/explosion close is instant kill, but you can take half a can of MG rounds to chest and survive.

Excellent leading from Sphoenix and one of best arma3 experiences for a while!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 11-11-2015

FHQ Felis Infernalis
(11-11-2015, 04:23 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:We RVd with other squad at end of the mission and defeated one counterattack without much of a headache. It would be fun to read how the mission was experienced from other team's perspective (other inf team, air, apc support).

I was leading Apollo, the mechanized team that attacked from the south. We had a Strider and a Mora as support vehicles. We tried to attack head on into the built-up area since initial recon showed enemy movement in the forest hills, right and left of the town. I knew I would regret it... Had I have some smoke screen to deploy it would have unfolded differently, but my team had to move through open grounds, using the little cover that we had, and the enemy made us pay for it. Dearly... We lost three men on the initial approach, even before we entered the town. The enemy resistance at the graveyard was fierce, and with good reason - once we are in the town nothing can stop us. The BTR shredded us to pieces, we called air support that was taken down. Luckily, we managed to flanked it, and Outlawz managed to squeeze in a shot through a doorway that took it out and burned its crew inside.From that point we systematically moved through the streets, under the APC's covering fire. We met resistance from the hill but broke off into the town to avoid it. After we met with Athena, the town was cleared and we moved west to meet the enemy counter attack. The enemy performed poorly, attacking head on with offroads, then infantry, and APCs which were magically destroyed by our Greek gods.

Great job Apollo, and especially Lego that managed to keep the APC alive and functioning, till the end!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 11-11-2015

I was one of the unlucky three in Apollo Squad that got shot at the cemetery early on, so most of the mission I watched from the spectator.

The mission was supposed to mirror "Hellcat" from the BAF DLC in Arma 2 (hence the name).  I just added the mechanized unit since I wanted to have more variety.

Good work overall, especially keeping the APC alive (we know how long they usually last Big Grin). The counterattack was a bit weak, unfortunately as a dead player I cannot become Zeus anymore, or I would have ordered it a bit.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 11-11-2015

(11-11-2015, 04:23 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:While the Psychos revive is best 'on the market', it sometimes shows strange results. I think Sphoenix was down at least 5 times during the mission. I think it is related to damage type. Headshot/explosion close is instant kill, but you can take half a can of MG rounds to chest and survive.

Yeah, it counts headshot and explosions as an almost certain ticket to the afterlife. Other than that, it depends a bit on the "Rambo" factor, plus there is a short period of time where damage is ignored so a machine gun salvo might not kill you outright.

What I could do is add an internal "credits" counter. If you get hit often enough during a mission, your chance for an untimely mission end would be increased. What do you think?

Quote:one of best arma3 experiences for a while!

Glad you liked it Smile

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 11-11-2015

You get set to captive when in agony, maybe turn that off so enemies finish the job?  Tongue

Re: The Debriefing Thread - McGregor - 11-11-2015

FHQ Felis Infernalis
One of those missions that delivered Many "Arma moments". As the medic of Athena I had more than plenty to do. Sadly we lost two guys (Outlawz7 and Evans). I tried to get to you guys but there was too much fire coming of that hill. We were also in contact with Unnamed as he was bleeding in the chopper. He managed to put it down softly so it didn't explode. Unfortunately his time ran out and there was no way we were going to get to him before that. Exceptional leading by Sphoenix!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 11-12-2015

(11-11-2015, 09:10 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:You get set to captive when in agony, maybe turn that off so enemies finish the job?  Tongue

Yeah, but then they will likely go for the downed guys and leave the others. What I could do is make a timer, have the grounded guys get setCaptive false after a while.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 11-13-2015

Sound discussion split and merged with this topic. Please continue the discussion there.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - SPhoenix - 11-16-2015

After action report for Stagwine's mission on Thirsk yesterday - apologies, I do not have the name in mind.

Start – it might be better to have people select their loadout before sleep is “forced” a minute into the game… only to be woken up by the shelling.

Bravo raced to Point X-Ray, rejoining Alpha which was already on site. We only sustained one injury while crossing the runway. Defending Point X-Ray was successfully done with swift engagement of armored targets across the inlet using Variable’s Javelin and short-range infantry engagement thanks to Etzu’s suppression and the vigilance of the rest of Bravo. After everything piped down, we cleared out the remaining stragglers who were on the beach from a distance.

We used the short time to regroup and resupply with three people from Bravo gathering some ammo back at the hangars. They came back with a Humvee, which proved instrumental later on.

We then had to reposition to Point Yankee to defend against yet again another seaborne assault. Infantry only this time, however we had far less cover this time. Despite our best efforts, we were surprised by a flanking squad north. Bravo very quickly repositioned to face the threat and pursued the remaining elements back into the forest, down to the beach where they had landed. This concluded the assault on Point Yankee – I commend the entirety of my squad for the efficiency with which we dispatched targets from being flanked all the way to forest combat.

After having regrouped and enjoyed the Russian-made light show, we embarked in trucks to rejoin the Combat Logistics Unit.

One missed turn afterwards, we found the phantom location. We made good use of the ambulance, lacking a medic in the unit, then proceeded to establish a perimeter.

All points of interests were covered with good form from Bravo, from Tactical Bacon to mortars. Good initiative on Outlawz to notify that the AI can be used for fire support and taking on this responsibility once the AI was taken by Snake in JIP.

We set up defensive positions for a series of counterattacks from the East and the North. Excellent use of mines and AT weapons led to a successful defense against armor. We were however flanked from the North West twice; both times I had to take 2-3 men to repel incoming fireteams as there was no coverage of this area. Also, Outlawz was alone at the mortars, which I hadn’t realized; when he came under fire, we swiftly moved to assist, but let this be a reminder to all team leaders that whatever the task you assign to a soldier, he cannot be alone.

Finally, at the very end, a couple of nasty friendly fire incidents – one was my fault as I led my fireteam into the area of effect of incoming friendly artillery, and one I just heard on the radio.

Points of improvement:

-          Team leaders cannot have soldiers performing tasks alone

-          Squad leaders need to be aware of the perimeter defense and potential holes in the perimeter

-          When repelling a counter-attack and pursuing stragglers, communicate clearly your advance and repeat on the radio to check targets as friendlies are advancing downrange

-          Pay attention to the radio commands and always acknowledge orders

Summary: exemplary performance from Bravo team (1 casualty in the final attack).

Stagwine’s mission is one of the finest I have experienced and have managed to put the pressure on both teams without resorting to the usual onslaught of a full division.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Stagwine - 11-16-2015

Compilation of after action reports from last two coop nights:

Watchmen tank mission:

In my previous (Phantom's) tank mission I managed to get my tank locked because I fragged friendly infantry team and got myself labeled as enemy. This time I actually survived almost to end. Co-operation with Manuel inside tank was smooth and it was lot of fun to be a gunner. We have had discussions of using AI as a tank crew, and personally I would have preferred 3 human players inside tank. At least in this mission there was plenty to do for everyone. Commander scans targets/assigns them, gunner does killing / additional scanning, driver does whats told. Even a small delay due boneheaded AI can be costy.

Example why communication is a good thing:

We had taken lot of casualties, including Doveman's tank (our leader). We knew there was still active enemy AT/Tank out there, as Alwarrens tank was destroyed just a minute ago. I spotted two infantrymen in thermals, and one of them had a launcher! Far away, rainy, and I can't ID uniform on visual mode. One of them starts to prepare a launcher! I had a faint recollection of remnants of friendly infantry being still alive. Manuel sends interrogative transmission hastily, and just I was about to eliminate obvious threat as self defense, McGregor announces they are friendlies!

Winter's ground

I wasn't 100% happy how mission turned out from authors point of view, but some experiences from grunt on the ground. Start was a moment of panic as 1 shot would kill you as lot of us had no vests, and some didn't even have uniforms. I was one of those. I made a mad rush to cover behind a sand bag and spotted one VDV soldier at point blank range. Rapid fire from Glock and 115gr JHPs (or other comrade)  takes the threat down. No frags, smokes, and a mad rush from  sandbag to sandbag to find a better weapon.

After the initial wtf-panic settled, we handled the action at point X-ray pretty well. Den was very quick to react to new task at point Yankee and realized the enemy mortar threat before they could adjust fire for effect.

Someone spotted the mortar team at fuel station 900m away and we eradicated it with long range gunnery and counter-battery fire from our own mortars.  Enemy flankers hitting us from north were quickly detected and dealt with. We witnessed destruction of friendly outpost by enemy rocket artillery (ominous) and were sent to reinforce logistics platoon. I have to correct a certain speculation. Our team was not technically lost. It was a Tactical Combat Detour © and Den wanted to check situation at Point Uniform just to be sure : P  During this escapade at back seat of Humvee I finally understood the concept of alternate channel of TFAR radio after 3 months of coop nights.  Zen moment in winters darkness.

Things at logistics platoon were grim. No survivors, and strange noises in the night (lack of sleep) with a disturbing sight at the supply crate. It was no huge surprise that we had to hold the area and defend command truck. Mines and explosives were set smartly to obvious chokepoint between two big rocks, and it knocked one tank out of action! One enemy tank got stuck at far, and I had to JIP as Zeus to unfuck the situation. However, enemy tank commanders had reported of strong resistance at the objective, and now those Grads started to fall down on the cursed timber mill and enemy attacked your position under cover of smoke. I was observing it from the sky, and I think you guys did good job. Your optional task of delivering ammo truck to Steel Rain gave you some good karma and rewarded you with Mk19 Humvee. I watched it shred a full VDV fireteam which was about to hit the command truck with RPG! I likely remove this, as it was a tad overpowered for the mission scope.

I also rewarded you one firemission for completing alternate task and Den provided the battery coordinates, noticed the first hit was off and corrected fire for effect. Perfect. However, at this time, B-on-B disaster was narrowly averted. Bravo team was searching for the enemies at target area which was completely obscured by fallen trees, and Den called Steel Rain (aka me) to fire for effect precisely to that area. You noticed this in time, reacted, and Den aborted the firemission millisecond before I was about to copypaste some 155mms to the area. 

Thanks to my group mates and good leadership from Den for lot ot fun. Unfortunately some bugs disrupted the mission flow and killed Alwarren on a runway (still not sure wtf happened there).

Coop 13 Rite of Spring

My Grand Vision ™ and actual mission were at dire odds. My idea of 1 hour short and simple SnD operation turned into 2h marathon or boredom and bizarre horrors for the crew (Sphoenix and me) of Poorly Mobile Metallic Trashcan, which in some organizations is known as BTR-70. My fine idea of using the PMMT as force multiplier turned out to be a sadistic joke. Why didn't I convince Variable to give us BMP instead : )

Jesting aside, its mobility was quite poor, and the gunner's view is very narrow and has no zoom but seriously blame is on operator (me) and not the tool.  You have to work around the limitations. That said, it didn't help that the vehicle was witched and our AI was phase-shifting back and forth inside the vehicle hull and I had to watch his ass in front of my gunner optics 1/3rd of the mission.

I've been to BTR-60 in rl and it is really cramped inside with ..well..Russian optics.. so this is likely somewhat realistic representation of the vehicle, but in this mission, we were not able to support as I had planned. We had some view of the village, but without proper optics we weren't able to really pick any targets. HMG might have been useful once infantry spots targets and commands..say.. 'HMG fire on the building marked with blue smoke, small bursts through walls' and use it as a giant shotgun platform, but it didn't realize this time.

I had lot of difficulties estimating the dimensions of the vehicle through gunners optics and I wasn't able to direct driver as I should have. Getting a working hull down position was a pain. Have to practice this more. Millisecond after being visible, we ate RPG ending my suffering. At least Phoenix made it. Sorry Outlaws, vehicle wasn't really helpful for Alpha : /

I have no idea how it was for infantry and CAS, but this wasn't one of my better missions.

Dronewood by Outlawz

This was awesome mission. Locate drone, download data, destroy. Simple concept, and lots of tense moments in dark forest filled with enemy patrols searching for us. I don't know how it was implemented, but it really looked like AI teams were really searching for us, and following our trail.

Lots of intense firefights and I had to resort to using pistol at least two times in the mission due intense ammo consumption. Great mission and  leading from Variable and good teamwork!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Stagwine - 11-16-2015

Ninja'd by Sphoenix : )

I wanted to simulate a situation where you simply wake up from DEEP slumber, grab a nearest weapon, MAYBE a vest if you have time, ponder wtf is going on and hurry to your posts like there is no tomorrow. Familiar to those who have gone through rl boot camp. How well this was implemented in mission, is another story. The timer is probably too tight, extra 15s wouldn't probably ruin anything but gives more margin for errors.

Weapons Squad (Bravo), had their stuff in lockers, and they had to 'dress up' in a hurry. Alpha had various loadouts, including some with no vests, uniforms, and just a hastily grabbed weapon. Some were in barracks 'asleep', driver was maintaining vehicle, and leader was at Tactical Combat Toilet.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - SPhoenix - 11-16-2015

Haha that makes more sense! Loadout was indeed trivial for Bravo, just a clickfest to equip everything.

You're right though, implementation of this would be tough. Not sure how to make it any better.