Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 07-21-2015

Since we are doing a lot of missions that involve hot extractions I thought I'd share how I think we should do the most dangerous phase - boarding. If you have more ideas let's hear them.

1) Extraction chopper lands.
2) Team 1 moves to form a perimeter around the chopper.
3) Team 1 suppress the enemy (finish all you ammo at that point, it's an "all or nothing situation" and you won't be needing ammo afterwards anyway).
4) Team 2 moves to the chopper.
5) Team 2 deploy a smoke screen around the chopper.
6) Team 2 boards the chopper.
7) Team 1 deploys a smoke screen.
8) Team 1 boards the chopper.
9) Dustoff.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 07-21-2015

The "Form a perimeter around the chopper" can IMHO be omitted when the chopper lands close by behind friendly lines and the team is already defending. Like in that CSAR mission I led, the team was between the chopper and the enemy, I thought it was better then to have the first team board immediately while the second team suppressed the enemy.

Apart from that, I think that list is exhaustive and well thought out.

The video below also sheds some light on it.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 07-21-2015

Right, I should have mentioned that my method is for a worst case scenario when we are surrounded. However, I think that most of the time on Lost Squad and CSAR Jolly Green - that's the case.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 07-21-2015

(07-21-2015, 10:01 AM)Variable link Wrote:However, I think that most of the time on Lost Squad and CSAR Jolly Green - that's the case.

Definitely!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 07-21-2015

Also approach the helicopter from its back (5 or 7 o'clock) so you don't run through the minigun's field of fire (at least on Black/Ghosthawks). There's been moments where the minigun gunner having a clear line of fire would have been helpful as he could aid in suppressive fire.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Valhalian - 07-24-2015

Lost Squad (on Summer Chernarus)
Went very well. Coms were established quickly and once we reached a suitable landing zone on a clearing the chopper was able to land. Unfotunately one helo was already lost due to shoulder fired AA. The boarding was in my opinion well executed. Blue team ran up to the helo and formed a perimeter and started suppressing the enemy, while red started deployed smoke and boarded. Then blue did the same.

Lost Squad (on Chernarus)
Was somewhat uneventful. Just a luck of the draw that the Lost Squad actually met no resistance evacuating. The only reported enemy was spotted and engaged by the gunship. But everything maybe due that very fact went very smoothly.

Spetsnaz Dream
By the time the convoy arrived the explosives were set. But not all of us were prepared yet and we started taking first casualties. Also backup rebel forces started arriving seemingly from all sides so our attention was split between all directions. That's when we lost the mission leader and a new one had to take his place. After finishing up with the convoy by destroying the remaining vehicles we were finally able to proceed but were in constant contact with the enemy. Which I thought added a great deal to the atmosphere of the mission though further stressing the already stressed commander  Smile When leaving the previous objective behind I was killed and didn't follow the progress as closely, but a job well done finishing the mission!

One thing I'd like to bring up is that due to some unfortunate miscommunication someone detonated one of the offroads while there were still friendlies in the vicinity, resulting in two incapacitations. Please make sure especially if not under direct threat that the vehicle you are about to destroy has no friendlies close to it.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Stagwine - 07-24-2015

Kamino firing range:

About the medic and clearing buildings: I was the doc and team leader ordered me and Freeman to clear the building. I agree, medics role is not first line combat, but we didn't have that many guys, and the order was crystal clear. I knew where the enemy was, and was sure I can shoot them through the thin interior wall. I saw bloody legs, thought target was down, until rifle muzzle is pushed through the wall and good night medic.

When pointman went down, I probably should have announced it, and said something like "pointman KIA. BTW, I'm a medic, do you want to proceed", or something like that. My bad, and Phantoms rant had a point. I'll be more clear with my communication next time.

Spetnaz dream:

Mission itself was very good. Much of the charm goes to excellent Thirsk winter map and steady nerving pressure of enemies from all sides.  My team had two WIAs due explosives detonated when friendlies were in the vicinity due miscommunication. War took a heavy toll on leaders in that mission.

There was constant pressure and enemies approaching from all sides, on both sides of the road. It added nice creeping tension. After the convoy task was done, I ordered teams to RV at the crossroads. Both sides of road had action enroute.

Bravo did bulk of the job with capturing of the rebel base at the radio tower, but ambush at x-roads was nice suprise at the end. We had cleared the x-roads 15 minutes earlier, and I thought road to xtraction is clear, if we cut through forest.  We were following you 200m away and we heard huge firefight erupt at the x-roads with constant spam of 'X is down and needs help!'. Race to save the Bravo and action at x-roads was hell of a fight. I think there was less than 15 seconds left on the revive timer for the last guys. Anticlimax of the century is to dump 18976 firstaidkits to ground in the middle of action as you are too fatigued to move otherwise (bug in revive).

As a summary, lots of fun, special thanks to warriors of Alpha. Awesome job guys. How things went for Bravo's point of view?

Kavala mission:

Nice setup but tasks/mission had issues (more of this later). First task did not tick we decided to leave it unticked and go on. We had no proper AT, but Varanon managed to knock out the T-100 with looted AT. I was super tired (I think we all were), and gave reckless order to storm the last office building. Varanon KIA, and as insult to injury, 30 secs later task ticked as done. Right. 

Mission itself was good, and I thought it had nice atmosphere. However, tasks were bugged. Some tasks ticked between done/undone and some not at all. Problem is that in lot of missions, consequent proper mission flow/scripts, etc depends on completion of the tasks.  I am mission maker too and my own tasks aren't necessarily better, but nothing is more annoying than spending hour crawling in city, and fail to complete mission because some glitch. When you notice tasks are bugged, it gives you constant nasty feeling that something else is bugged too.

Another personal annoyance: I don't like missions where player is sent to do a job without adequate (or way too excessive like VAS) tools. We had one pitiful explosive charge to take out T-100. OK, tank was stationary (out of fuel) and it might have been possible to set up a charge from the adjacent building. With some luck, it would have detracked the tank and forced crew to eject, but the task was plain stupid. Variable got KIA with the valiant attempt to do it. I took the charges, managed to crawl close, but as we had AT gear from that oint, it was safer to take a shot with RPG from behind.  Sure, you can always find tools from the battlefield like we did now, but no sane commander sends under strenght infantry squad against tanks without tools/support. 

As a summary, I had lot of fun. I hope I finally have understood the TFAR radio and short range/long range transmissions, MK4 HUD, and all other new things. Thanks for bearing up with me guys.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 07-26-2015

Kamino firing range
That was a classic. Bravo was in charge of the static HMG and performed exactly the role it was dedicated for. We took out visible enemy units and suppressed the rest as Alpha stormed the compound. It was cool to see the smoke shells the AI popped up as a result of the heavy suppressive fire we brought down on them.

Lost Squad (multiple attempts)
I had many radio issues. Etzu didn't hear me over the radio at least half of the time although he was well in range. Other missions was fine in that respect so it must have been something in the mission.
On the Russian attempt Team blue secured the chopper and laid down suppressive fire while team red boarded, once we were all aboard an RPG shot cooked us. Waiting for all of us to board before blowing us up was a fine AI move... Big Grin

Spetsnaz Dream
By the time we finished planting our explosives the convoy was already there. I didn't expect it to be that early and that stretched out. I wonder how had it gone had we managed to finish setting up on time. Before I was gunned down I managed to see the first vehicle stopped by the Slam mines (that was cool!) and fire an GP25 on the second vehicle. Later on I JIPed back in instead of Varanon that couldn't JIP into one of the AI and participated in the enemy probe attacks and the raid on the base, in which I was shot by a sneaky AI who was stationed on the right side behind the door (nice move there Teck, I didn't realize it's even possible to place a unit at that spot).
Great leading there Stagwine, your orders were clear and smart.

Kavala mission
That was a cool mission, I liked to be dropped right into the action. Solid leading once again Stag, good job.
Next time remind me that when sneaking up on an active tank I better notice the commander's turret and not only the gunner's main gun Tongue

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 07-26-2015

(07-26-2015, 02:10 PM)Variable link Wrote:Etzu didn't hear me over the radio at least half of the time although he was well in range. Other missions was fine in that respect so it must have been something in the mission.

You were talking on SR and he talked on LR is the only way I can explain this. The issue with Lost Squad is that while both teams are supposed to use SRs to communicate (because they have shorter range so it takes longer to find the squad), the helicopters have LR that the pilots can use to communicate and since our serverside mod adds alternate channel set to LR freq or SR and LR freqs are the same, you hear the pilots but you don't have the range to talk to them. Then again do group leaders have alt channel set up if they don't get backpack LRs?...

Are you sure you both talked on SR?

Yeah, I'm aware of that but as I said the communication loss was well within SR range, when the chopper was visible and/or landed.
I suppose we were both on SR since sometimes he heard me and was able to respond. It wasn't consistent.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Etzu - 07-26-2015

(07-26-2015, 02:50 PM)Variable link Wrote:Yeah, I'm aware of that but as I said the communication loss was well within SR range, when the chopper was visible and/or landed.
I suppose we were both on SR since sometimes he heard me and was able to respond. It wasn't consistent.

It's quite possible the radio issues were a result of my ARMA3 crash just prior. Maybe on JIP it caused my radio frequencies to change or not update correctly.

(07-26-2015, 04:41 PM)Etzu link Wrote:It's quite possible the radio issues were a result of my ARMA3 crash just prior. Maybe on JIP it caused my radio frequencies to change or not update correctly.
Yeah, that may as well be the reason...

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 07-29-2015

CSI Blufor
Alpha was approaching the objective stealthy while Bravo drew out the enemy defenders. It was nice to see the enemy moving out to attack Bravo as we stalked them from the trees. Some of them tried to flank from the right (Bravo's left) and we were able to warn Bravo on their move. They literally abandoned the northern approach and that allowed us to move into their camp undetected, and engage them from their backs from up close. What killed most of us were two ceiling clippers who shot us through their floor. Yakir, good job on communicating that to Bravo who blasted them with grenades.

Yellow Cake
This is a great mission that I'm glad we didn't press on to complete in our dire state at its end. It all went tits up when we (Alpha) was detected while approaching the transformer. When I saw it was obscured I should have doubled back and found a better angle to take it out from a distance. I rushed it and got detected.
Good job Sithis for keeping your team together until you all got wiped out (except unnamed). How did it go for you guys?
If we had AP rounds for the snipers we could have done better.

Operation Recovery
That turned out to be a nice experience although a bit too long. Everybody please rate it and leave a comment, we forgot to do that.
One lesson learned - don't crest a hill overlooking an enemy position before taking a rest, regaining stamina and space out. Also better to first send a scout or two to observer before sending up the bulk of the team. That could have cost us the defeat there.

Cache Barn
I really liked that one. The firefight on the last town was really good, I'd like to think we saw some nice ASR AI effects there.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Stagwine - 07-30-2015

Clean sweep:
Fun mission! I ran into issue of AI shooting through the floor, but thats only part of the issue. In general if 3 people have died to same spot at corner before you, it wasn't smartest move to go there and be 4th. Right thing would have been to warn team leader of the situation, go to other side when situation allows, and basketball grenades to 2nd floor windows, like the smart players of other team did while I was watching as a seagull. Embarassing.

Uranium truck:

This mission was lot of fun. I was marksman but for some reason I didn't pick a thermal sight for my Rahim so I was left with secondary CQB optics for the mission which didn't really help (standard scope is not NV compatible). Things at the construction site were intense, especially when reinforcements started pouring in. Delicious feeling of chaos and excellent RPG-sniping/leading by Variable. I crashed just as we were about to commandeer the truck, and I gathered it would have been impossible to finish anyway?

007 Thunderball

Not my finest hour. TFAR aquatic effect is quite authentic, albeit disorienting. I couldn't hear half of my team, which was likely case for everyone (and this wasn't last of my radio woes). We spotted 4 divers coming at us on nice formation on way to Bravo RV point. They didn't do a thing even if I passed them at 5 meters so I declared them friendly. Then lively discussion erupted if they are friendly, is anyone friendly, and then it spiraled into 007esque aquatic chaos.

Determining friend from foe was really difficult, at least on my graphical settings. It wouldn't be issue if team was small and you would have idea where friendlies are and you could shoot anything else that moves, but now we had, I think 14-16 friendly divers scattered in the water IDing for bodies. I am surprised most of my team came out of water alive. That's when things started going wrong for me. First I didn't figure out you could actually change into land gear at the crate. I hike back to change into proper attire, and of course forget to grab LR radio. I hike back to get the radio. Then I have comm's/radio volume issues and don't hear half of the orders, etc. Ugh. I wasn't happy of my performance as player and TL, but my team members were great throughout the mission. Clearing GAIA was very well done from everyone. Great overall leading from Sithis, clear and precise orders (when I finally had radio to hear them)

Mission itself was great and it worked well despite being 2 years old. Lot of effort was put into it, but now there was lots of back and forth hiking and objectives scattered around the map. Sure, they were connected to story, but it would have been better with more straight forward flow. Underwater > Supplies at shore > Maxwell > Girna and that's it. I am guilty as charged of making marathon mission in my wild youth so can't really complain.

Good games everyone!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - SPhoenix - 08-04-2015

Guys, last Sunday my wife had people over at my place so I couldn't lead (needed to keep quiet) but I noticed something in CSI: the leader goes down, so be it, nothing happens. I waited a good 10-15 seconds before taking command.
I understand not everyone is comfortable with leading, but every single person needs to be comfortable with at the bare minimum ordering a retreat and radioing for instructions.

I would suggest that if you have never led a team, to try your hand at it in CSI. It's not a complicated exercise in leadership as the tactical situations are usually straightforward; you don't even have to lead the squad, just a fireteam.

I believe having done it once will allow you to take command if the situation calls for it and we're all the better for it.

Remember in the action there are plenty of terrible choices to be made but the one that will get you killed for sure is to not make any. Take charge, take action, and win.