Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - McGregor - 04-24-2015

Angry Birds

Dslyecxi's guides are really good I think, all of them. Everyone should watch them. As the Littlebird pilot I didn't really see my role in this Mission. There wasn't much I could do about the tanks other than annoy them. I did however act as CAS on some infantry but communication was almost non existent. I don't know if there was problems with TFAR but I called many times on the radio but was ignored. I'm guessing TFAR problems here but still it's almost impossible for a CAS pilot to act unless he gets continued updates on both friendly and enemy positions. Please keep it in mind

About the car confusion on Finders keepers

In the beginning Evans my "go to" driver hoped into one of the empty vehicles and I ordered the rest of my team to board as well. For some reason the other team also boarded our vehicles resulting in major confusion. I don't get why some have such a hard time using mk4 hud or any of the other name plate mods available. Seriously it makes your life easy. As for team leaders driving them selves I prefer to have a designated driver. That way I can focus on communication and the map. Again, seriously guys knowing who's around you makes things so much easier and less frustrating. If you are having problems with some mod (mk4 for example) take some time before coop and try to resolve it. Remember you can always ask for help. There is no reason it shouldn't work

Lost Squad

Yes I think this one is getting too easy so I crashed my game on purpose to ramp up the difficulty  Tongue

Operation Red Tiger
I Agree maybe not the best mission in the world but me and Variable could see potential for other missions using the Blackfoot's new über sexy HUD 8)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 04-24-2015

(04-24-2015, 12:34 PM)McGregor link Wrote:For some reason the other team also boarded our vehicles resulting in major confusion. I don't get why some have such a hard time using mk4 hud or any of the other name plate mods available.

I can tell you why: Alias ordered us to enter the vehicle he was in. So I checked, saw the vehicle Alias was in, and got in.

The mistake was: The team leader should say "Alpha, board the right car, bravo board the left car", or order drivers in, or take the wheel himself, anything like that, but there should be a clear command about who uses what.

Again, I just entered the car I was ordered to enter.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 04-24-2015

(04-24-2015, 12:34 PM)McGregor link Wrote:Dslyecxi's guides are really good I think, all of them. Everyone should watch them.

Agreed. I am not promoting mandatory training sessions

Quote:In the beginning Evans my "go to" driver hoped into one of the empty vehicles and I ordered the rest of my team to board as well. For some reason the other team also boarded our vehicles resulting in major confusion. I don't get why some have such a hard time using mk4 hud or any of the other name plate mods available. Seriously it makes your life easy. As for team leaders driving them selves I prefer to have a designated driver. That way I can focus on communication and the map. Again, seriously guys knowing who's around you makes things so much easier and less frustrating. If you are having problems with some mod (mk4 for example) take some time before coop and try to resolve it. Remember you can always ask for help. There is no reason it shouldn't work

I don't think it is much of an issue with using Mk4 hud. Alias was in your car, that was the only name that I saw pop up since I need to specifically look at members of other teams to id them. The problem was merely lack of coordination from the squad leader. Especially in situations where time is of the essence, the squad leader should say "Alpha takes the green one, Bravo the one without doors" or something of that nature.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to put blame on anyone, I am merely pointing out that this would have made things go much more smoothly. Which is also why I asked in the briefing of "Red Tiger" for the precise names of who goes were - it just makes things clear from the beginning. And I still had to tell people where to go because some were about to enter the Huinter.

Quote:I Agree maybe not the best mission in the world but me and Variable could see potential for other missions using the Blackfoot's new über sexy HUD 8)

I suppose the mission was most interesting in the chopper. As infantry, I found it rather boring.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - McGregor - 04-24-2015

I agree we should try and designate roles and who goes in which vehicle etc as much as possible in the briefing before we launch the mission. And I certainly don't want to put blame on anyone either. I'm just saying. All I know is that there was no confusion in my team

Re: The Debriefing Thread - alias - 04-24-2015

CSI: OPFOR
Nice mission as always, good leading, good warm up exercise.

Angry Birds

I definitely need more practice with tanks and AT. Is hard to coordinate a platoon of tanks without practice.
And in the context of modern warfare the scenario from this mission is not realistic at all, with so many things bunched up, helicopters, tanks in a such small area. But was fun.

I'm not 100% sure but in a combined operation i think we need the commander to be out of the action so he can have a better view on the big picture and coordinate team without dodging bullets and rockets. Also he shouldn't get caught in micromanagement that's squad leaders job.

Since i couldn't find who has the command bar i took command towards the end and tried to get in touch with other teams. Was hectic and difficult without armored support.

Later i tried to update map with new targets for arty but i was never able to get in touch with them via radio.
We got lucky towards the end, whoever took out the tanks on route towards the objective did great job, we wouldn't have been able to make it otherwise. That valley is pretty deadly.
McGregor did great spotting the enemy tanks, he saved our behinds several times.

Despite i was like a fly without head at the end, the guys which were with me did a great job and we managed to take out the last enemy tank overwatching the objective.

Finder's Keeper

The cluster fuck from the beginning was my doing. Sorry.
I got confused by mk4hud, but we end up taking all 3 cars which proved useful since charlie didn't have transportation.
In the past using my + key on the numpad mk4hud told me whos in the vehicle, took me a while to understand that doesn't work like that anymore Sad

Very nice work on the convoy. Didn't expect to deal with it so fast and i was surprised how many PCMLs an APC can take.

I wasn't aware the first scout position had a good angle on enemy camp, i should've make sure i know all the facts before making a decision, however i tried to keep everyone on the move and cover the terrain as fast and safe possiblen. That side of the map is tough for vehicles and i don't know it very well (which is a good thing).
Is one of the reasons i consider using it for a future mission of mine as well.

It was a good call to use scouts, next time i'll take more advantage from this strategy.
Towards the end i split up trying to stay away from the heat, get better eyes on the objective but all i managed to do is to draw enemies attention and we had close contacts.
Thankfully Den saved my ass more than once and by doing so we removed some heat from other teams.
The best thing we did was to make the enemy APC move on us which made it easier for others.

Since i was busy saving my ass and playing hide and seek with enemies i relied more on the feedback i had from other teams and their good judgement and they did great taking out the objective.

Was a challenging mission as always. Good experience and a lot of lessons to learn. Thank you FHQ! Smile

Operation Red Tiger

Good for practice, pretty common mission, feels like made for target practice.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 04-24-2015

(04-24-2015, 03:22 PM)alias link Wrote:I wasn't aware the first scout position had a good angle on enemy camp, i should've make sure i know all the facts before making a decision, however i tried to keep everyone on the move and cover the terrain as fast and safe possiblen.

The first scout position wasn't a good angle at all. WE could not see any of the helis, and only the upper fraction of the trucks. The only thing we could clearly see was the Strider outside of the base.

(04-24-2015, 03:22 PM)alias link Wrote: That side of the map is tough for vehicles and i don't know it very well (which is a good thing).

Is one of the reasons i consider using it for a future mission of mine as well.

Way to go. I chose this side of the map because I think that rebels would prefer the terrain over the flat expanses of the east of Altis...

(04-24-2015, 03:22 PM)alias link Wrote:Was a challenging mission as always. Good experience and a lot of lessons to learn. Thank you FHQ!

I guess I will make some more missions in the future in the Flycatcher/Finder's Keepers line (maybe build a campaign out of it). I kind of like the guerrilla stuff for it's difficulty. It's tough to balance those missions, though, since it's likely that you'll need many tries to get it done.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-24-2015

(04-24-2015, 02:29 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Agreed. I am not promoting mandatory training sessions

I wouldn't like us to have mandatory training sessions or qualifications like some other groups have but some occasional optional training/practice sessions might be good so that we can learn how to properly operate stuff without wasting time on co-op nights. The videos are good and some stuff can be practised alone in the editor but it's probably more effective if it's done with other people who can help and maybe for some stuff, like artillery, we might need someone who can watch the target and advise when shots are on target, so that people can learn how to adjust their shots, etc.

I don't think we should give up on mechanized missions, we just need some more practice to get the hang of them.

With the getting in the wrong vehicle problem, perhaps what we should do is once the leader has assigned each team a vehicle, first only the team leaders get in their vehicles and only then do the rest of the team mount up, when they can clearly see which vehicle their leader is in. Maybe even have the leaders move the vehicles a bit if they start too close together so that the name tags aren't easy to separate, even if the leader isn't going to drive after that.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 04-24-2015

(04-24-2015, 05:51 PM)doveman link Wrote:With the getting in the wrong vehicle problem, perhaps what we should do is once the leader has assigned each team a vehicle, first only the team leaders get in their vehicles and only then do the rest of the team mount up, when they can clearly see which vehicle their leader is in. Maybe even have the leaders move the vehicles a bit if they start too close together so that the name tags aren't easy to separate, even if the leader isn't going to drive after that.

Not really necessary. If the leader is precise with his wishes ("My team get into the green tiger-stripe pickup" this isn't a problem. That is why I like to do this right away in the briefing, including assigning a driver.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-24-2015

(04-24-2015, 07:33 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Not really necessary. If the leader is precise with his wishes ("My team get into the green tiger-stripe pickup" this isn't a problem. That is why I like to do this right away in the briefing, including assigning a driver.

Yeah true, that should be sufficient.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 04-25-2015

CSI: OPFOR
(04-24-2015, 11:45 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:I was having trouble with my radio, in fact, I kept having trouble with my radio each mission, which I am not entirely sure whether it is CBA or TFAR.
It might be fixed with having all of using the latest CBA, we won't start a mission next time until all of us use the latest version.

Angry Birds
(04-24-2015, 11:45 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:I also noticed that we have serious issues in communication and general behavior in tanks. It seems like we should either avoid tank missions, or play more of them.
What were exactly the problems? Especially since TFAR, that sets separate channels for each vehicle team, I don't find any control problems in our missions.

Finder's Keeper
The ambush went well but even for us it was a bit confusing. The large IED charge was detonated below the lead APC but it kept moving. Did Alpha/Bravo took it out or has it cooked off and exploded by itself due to the damage it took from the IED?
Good leading on this one Alias. Sorry about being very assertive with what we should and shouldn't do in this mission. It was only because we knew it was a tough mission that require some early knowledge to compolete.

(04-24-2015, 11:45 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:2. Mixing teams. I don't understand why we had both a scout team AND Charlie go to the same hill. It doesn't really make sense. If the point was getting eyes on the base (which we did, the position was well chosen), a three men team would have been way enough.
I think Charlie found the point we engaged from. About mixing teams, Alias wanted to have Charlie split so not all engineers will be in the same vehicle, and that's a good idea. Can we somehow put into use BIS End Game's group management feature so we could change the initial structure of the teams?

(04-24-2015, 11:45 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:3. We should not have gone around the base on the south. What should have been done (IMO) was to send the scout team to the position we were on (which was good), get eyes on the base, and then decide how to move the APC based on this. Since we could ascertain that the targets were all in the northern part of the base, another scout team (Charlie for example, there was no point in sending them along with the scout team) could have scouted for an appropriate position north to northwest of the base, and make sure the APC could engage from there. Then, once the shit was destroyed, bug out towards the north west.
The problem is, that we didn't really ascertain the targets are on the northern part of the base until we had gotten closer. Of course, we knew where they were from previous attempt but telling Alias that we better go to an overwatch over the northern part of the FARP would have been too cheaty... At least that's how I felt.

(04-24-2015, 11:45 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:5. Please, if you are not comfortable fulfilling a certain task, like gunner in the APC, do not take it. If your team leader orders you to take it, make him aware of the fact and ask him to pick someone else.
We were damn lucky for not losing our Gorgon for that jet that strafed it. Commanders, feel free to order inexperienced players from crucial positions if they lack the knowledge to operate a certain weapon system.

(04-24-2015, 03:22 PM)alias link Wrote:In the past using my + key on the numpad mk4hud told me whos in the vehicle, took me a while to understand that doesn't work like that anymore Sad
Alias, really, you said that when the mission ended and we told you that nothing was changed with mk4hud, and explained what probably lead to you seeing other players. You acknowledged, and yet you bring this up again? you are spreading miss-information. NOTHING was changed in mk4. As we already explained, while siting in your car and activating mk4, you probably looked at another vehicle - in such case you see the occupants of the other car, not yours. That's the ONLY reason that might lead to seeing other occupants than the ones you seat in. Now please read this explanation until you understand it, and if something is not clear - ask for clarifications.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 04-25-2015

(04-25-2015, 09:51 AM)Variable link Wrote:Angry BirdsWhat were exactly the problems? Especially since TFAR, that sets separate channels for each vehicle team, I don't find any control problems in our missions.

Well for starters, we had an AI driver, which was... pretty horrible. Secondly, and this isn't specific to this mission but something I notice every time, communication within a tank is very bad. I did not get any contact report from the gunner, although there were plenty of contacts visible on the hillside. It's just that every time I am a tank commander, I get the impression that my crew doesn't say anything; when I am the driver, my commander tells me to go to a specific point even though I have no GPS and would expect the commander to do the navigation. It's just that I generally feel things aren't working smoothly in vehicles. Maybe it's me.

Quote:The ambush went well but even for us it was a bit confusing. The large IED charge was detonated below the lead APC but it kept moving. Did Alpha/Bravo took it out or has it cooked off and exploded by itself due to the damage it took from the IED?

Might have been me. I had three AT rockets and one HE for my RPG-42, and they were all hits. I took out at least a truck and the lead vehicle (couldn't say what it was, bad visibility, just saw that it moved), The last APC I hit once but with an HE and that didn't really do much.

Quote:Alias wanted to have Charlie split so not all engineers will be in the same vehicle, and that's a good idea.

Yeah, I agree, but that would mean splitting up Charlie. As far as I could see, all the teams were somehow chopped up.

Quote:Can we somehow put into use BIS End Game's group management feature so we could change the initial structure of the teams?

I'll have a look. I don't know how that is used, I don't think it's a module but it might work with a few function calls.

Quote:The problem is, that we didn't really ascertain the targets are on the northern part of the base until we had gotten closer. Of course, we knew where they were from previous attempt but telling Alias that we better go to an overwatch over the northern part of the FARP would have been too cheaty... At least that's how I felt.

Well we were quite sure that they weren't on the south side, so that might have meant north, or east side. In any case, the northern route would have been preferrable IMO, especially with the Strider GMG covering the southern flank.

Of course we didn't know what was on the northern flank, which I would propose to have a second team scout the northern side in such a case, since it is a pretty hilly terrain and no position can get full overview.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 04-25-2015

Quote:Can we somehow put into use BIS End Game's group management feature so we could change the initial structure of the teams?

Is that for a specific mission or in general? Because that could break missions that rely on groups.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-26-2015

We definitely need to practice more in tanks and improve on our communications. I'm sure we'll get the hang of it after using them a bit more and establishing better procedures (commander using the GPS and/or better visibility to direct the driver, gunner reporting contacts, etc).

Also everyone please bear in mind when attaching players to a different squad that sthud becomes useless as it doesn't show their new squad mates, so there's more risk of them getting separated. Yeah, I know I shouldn't need to use it  Tongue  Just try and avoid swapping players around unless it's really necessary is all I'm saying.

A good tip for seeing who's in the same vehicle as you is to press space (at least that's what it is for me) to show the FHQ_GroupInfo overlay in the top-right corner, rather than trying to aim at your vehicle and not a nearby one to get mk4_hud to show you the names.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Watchmen - 04-26-2015

Tvt tank practice?

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 04-26-2015

(04-25-2015, 04:04 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Is that for a specific mission or in general? Because that could break missions that rely on groups.
Do you mean missions like Lost Squad? The best thing I could think of is a server side addon, but in any case there should be a way to disable this feature, at the mission side.

(04-26-2015, 04:35 AM)doveman link Wrote:We definitely need to practice more in tanks and improve on our communications. I'm sure we'll get the hang of it after using them a bit more and establishing better procedures (commander using the GPS and/or better visibility to direct the driver, gunner reporting contacts, etc).
Isn't playing a tank mission is training enough, just more fun?

(04-26-2015, 09:04 AM)Watchmen link Wrote:Tvt tank practice?
No.