Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 04:09 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Strange thing that happen, when Manuel and Hellhammer went to the top floor of the barn, they magically teleported to the ambush site again. When Sithis was going to take the shot with the RPG at the BMP, it magically disappear. The pilot magically disappeared too. We pretty much got everyone at the helicopter base so we considered it pretty much a win, though the pilots vanished.

I have no idea what could cause this, and it certainly didn't happen in my tests. I also have nothing that would setpos the pilots. They are simply placed and a trigger attached to their waypoint that will make them go to the chopper and wait for everyone to get in. The BMP has simple waypoints.

Quote:On AI: Don't know if the enemy AI who I was facing while in the T-72 should've pull his RPG out and shoot me or not, but I was staring at him because I can't tell whether he was friendly or enemy, he just ran down the street (I later shot when Sithis order me to fire since it was confirm enemies later) but they didn't pull the RPG out.

Might be that the AI didn't think it could harm the tank. There's nothing particular about the AI, they're just placed and waypointed.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Phantom - 01-02-2015

Lost Squad

Nice mission, quite easy we escape without any engagement. Sorry my mic wasn't working, it was detecting the webcam instead but I fixed it.

Cleansweep Infinity

My magazines started magically disappearing for whatever reason (Until I was completely dry). A nice quick mission, but I finally realized my mic was not working at that point

Sakhe Search

I thought the AI was a bit too easy, but then it was an easy mission since that's how a bunch of guerrilla shoots. It was a bit tedious finding all the stuff sander style

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 01-02-2015

Two things I want to remark independent of the played missions:

First of all, thanks to Etzu, Sithis and Manuel for taking the initiative to lead. Good job by everyone, too.

Secondly, closely related, but not exclusive to yesterday (seen it before several times): Leaders, if you want to move, tell your subordinates. Most of the time, people will be scanning the area, looking through scopes, or doing other things, so if you want to move, tell people and don't just go off. It's unlikely that your crew will follow.

In any case, good games last night.

Lost Squad

Very nice mission, although I have to admit I hate the fact that I know Chernarus inside out and can identify our position most of the time.

Cleansweep Infinity

Very enjoyable mission and well worth replaying. Solid leading, Etzu!

Sakhe Search

Good leading by Sithis, although I felt utterly useless with my iron sighted G36C on top of the hill.. so in the end, I resorted to giving my mags to someone else and spent the mission looking through my vector. It became a bit better later when we moved into town, but there wasn't really enough to shoot left.

Although, I have to admit I don't like those "search every building" type of missions, especially if you have no GPS and can't adequately mark the houses that have been searched.

Also, it seemed to crash a lot for some people (Sithis, Valhalian, Alwarren and me crashed at least once during the mission), although I attribute that not to the mission but most likely some addon.

That mission where we had to defend (is swec down ?)

Sorry for getting yelly, at this time, my game was getting so slow that I was still in the intro when everyone was already shooting. As the medic, I had to get up a lot of people, and half the time, I couldn't see their markers because they were either up above me, or down below me. Plus, Manuel was breaking up half of the time so I couldn't even hear the orders he gave. Was a bit of a clusterfuck there, so apologies for getting cranky.

At this time, my game was starting to hate me, so I decided to quit for the night. I guess I need to get a SSD after all

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 01-02-2015

Speaking of Clean Sweep Infinite, comment and vote up everyone: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=361647324

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Manuel - 01-02-2015

All in all I agree with Varanon about my lead, it ended up beeing a clusterfuck. I'm sorry about my com problems. I had a hard time keeping track of what was happening to begin with when we were swarmed from multiple directions. Not beeing able to communicate properly strongly added to the stress, which kind of got to me at this point. So sorry for that, I should have kept my cool.

Anyways, despite all the problem Varanon did a great job of keeping people on their feet. Sorry to Alwarren who was probably affected most by my bad com as he was handling the long range as JTAC.

I wonder what got the helicopter in the end. At this point it was my understanding that we were only under small arms fire and the north-eastern region was clear.

I'm not too sure whether passing on the long range radio was a good idea. It made keeping track of what the air support was doing hard.

At least we were able to continue the proud tradition of failing this mission...

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 01-02-2015

(01-02-2015, 09:48 PM)Manuel link Wrote:[size=1em]All in all I agree with Varanon about my lead, it ended up beeing a clusterfuck.[/size]
[size=1em]

I don't think that Varanon wanted to imply it was your leading. The problem was that there was a lot of commotion and as a consequence nobody could understand you, because you were breaking up heavily

[/size]
Quote:Sorry to Alwarren who was probably affected most by my bad com as he was handling the long range as JTAC.

No worries. I guess the best idea is to keep leave the JTAC pick his targets himself. Most of the time lazing target was impossible anyway because of the fire. Instead, I placed markers on the map for the plane to attack. I should have communicated to Valhalian before starting the missions that I will e.g. place red marker for targets he should attack.

Quote:I'm not too sure whether passing on the long range radio was a good idea. It made keeping track of what the air support was doing hard.

Which is why I think leaving the air coordination to the JTAC is the best idea. In the heat of the moment, the team leader will be too busy with controlling team fire. Offloading that task to the JTAC seems like a good idea to me.

Quote:[size=1em]At least we were able to continue the proud tradition of failing this mission...[/size]

Actually, things went quite far, most of the time we were pooped earlier Smile

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 01-03-2015

(01-02-2015, 09:48 PM)Manuel link Wrote:[size=1em]All in all I agree with Varanon about my lead, it ended up beeing a clusterfuck. [/size]

Argh, no, I did not mean your leadership. You did well in a very stressful situation.

I meant the situation itself. With the technical mowing down the top flow, I had to run up and get everyone up, then down to get more people up, it was loud, coms were breaking up... the situation was FUBAR, and that had nothing to do with your leadership!

You did well, and you should consider doing it again (maybe on another mission Big Grin)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - yakirgot - 01-05-2015

No To Drugs:

I had a lot of fun in this mission despite the bugs. Valhalian was an excellent leader. The overwatch team was very effective, and everyone played very seriously. It was also nice to have a sh*t load of ammo. 5-6 mags as default is just not enough.

Several issues
  • We have a problem with formations. If we are in a column, we need to increase the distance to about 10 meters. In wedge, I think the team leader needs to first orient the wedge, and than wait until everyone will be generally in place. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it will be an improvement.
  • We must never assault a building from both sides, because it will cause a blue on blue.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 04:58 PM)Yakir link Wrote:
  • We have a problem with formations. If we are in a column, we need to increase the distance to about 10 meters. In wedge, I think the team leader needs to first orient the wedge, and than wait until everyone will be generally in place. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it will be an improvement.
I don't disagree, but the problem IMO is more that

a) some people just won't hold formation, they either overtake the guy in front of them, overtake their teamleader, or just generally do not pay attention to formation.
b) different speeds: Since the stance indicator fades out quickly and there is no way to get it back, some people do not notice that they are crouched or tactical pace.

I don't think that there should be a fixed spacing of so many meters between units, it depends on the terrain and circumstances, if the formation could be held that would be a good thing.
Quote:
  • We must never assault a building from both sides, because it will cause a blue on blue.

I disagree.
If people check their targets, there is no issue. It's just that there is a good deal of panic shooting going on. The problem of friendly fire is always there. The key is to be aware that there is friendlies around and not shoot just because you see a man-shape.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 05:06 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:b) different speeds: Since the stance indicator fades out quickly and there is no way to get it back, some people do not notice that they are crouched or tactical pace.

I'm pretty sure its also kit loadouts. I run at the same pace and in same stance as a rifleman or similar behind someone carrying a Titan launcher or other heavy stuff and I keep running into him.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 05:06 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:I disagree.
If people check their targets, there is no issue. It's just that there is a good deal of panic shooting going on. The problem of friendly fire is always there. The key is to be aware that there is friendlies around and not shoot just because you see a man-shape.

As far as I know though, the AI don't need to take time to identify if someone's an enemy. They know instantly and so by the time we've confirmed that a target is definitely enemy they've already shot us in the face, so it's not surprising there's panic shooting when people see someone facing them! So perhaps we do need to try and avoid having friendlies advancing towards enemy AI from opposite sides.

Regarding not knowing what stance you're in, I just tend to tap my C key to toggle between crouch and stand if I'm not sure, which is why you've probably seen me bobbing up and down just after we start moving again Wink

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 06:36 PM)doveman link Wrote:As far as I know though, the AI don't need to take time to identify if someone's an enemy. They know instantly and so by the time we've confirmed that a target is definitely enemy they've already shot us in the face, so it's not surprising there's panic shooting when people see someone facing them! So perhaps we do need to try and avoid having friendlies advancing towards enemy AI from opposite sides.

That actually depends on the AI skill (most notably spotTime), lighting etc. AI does not recognize you instantly, in fact, it is possible to run in front of an AI and away again without getting noticed at all.
Once they did notice you, they will still have to turn in your direction, which isn't going to be instantaneously. All in all, you will have plenty of time (well, figuratively speaking Smile) until the AI starts shooting.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 01-06-2015

(01-05-2015, 06:52 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:That actually depends on the AI skill (most notably spotTime), lighting etc. AI does not recognize you instantly, in fact, it is possible to run in front of an AI and away again without getting noticed at all.
Once they did notice you, they will still have to turn in your direction, which isn't going to be instantaneously. All in all, you will have plenty of time (well, figuratively speaking Smile) until the AI starts shooting.
Ah, there goes my excuse for always getting shot first then Admittedly I have encountered AI who don't even seem to notice me when I'm standing right in front of them (those are the ones I manage to shoot) but I just assumed that was Arma being weird!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 01-06-2015

Against all odds
Good leading by McGregor. It didn't seem too hard but we were well positioned and that, along with effective operation of the mortar, made our stand strong. Suggestion regarding:
Mortar spotting, ranging and communication:
Use the map. After the first fire mission there must be a marker the gunner used. Then, mark your own marker as a correction or as a  position for a new target. It's much easier, much more accurate, and will require less correction rounds and less communication until positive impact with the target compared with the "shoot 100 meters to the left" method.

Oil Leak
Oh how fun it was to be using the RPG-7 again... The ballistics came back to me immediately.
That was a great mission, I loved it. I think we can pull it off if we keep the M113 intact until the Littlebird and the second Blackhawk arrive. In any case, good job Outlawz and team, that attempt was the farthest we got in this mission.

No to Drugs
Great leading Valhalian! It was fun playing in Team Red that provided covering fire. One comment - When leaving a team behind for support and suppression purposes while an assault team advances, make sure to let the support team know of the assault team progress towards the target. I was caught by surprise to see you coming out of one of the buildings and took down McGregor. I thought it would take you a lot longer than it actually took you to get there...

Operation Cakewalk
The second workshop mission of the night with a crappy name that proved to be fun nonetheless. Awesome firefights and great execution guys, I think we performed great on this one. Great job Misha for coordinating the initial strike, I thought we won't be able to pull it off but we did! Too bad we lost you while assaulting the artillery battery. Although extraction didn't work, we can say we earned this mission as completed.

Regarding splitting teams and entering from multiple sides when assaulting a building. I think it's too effective and too cool of a tactic for us to avoid it due to fear of friendly fire. We need to mitigate this risk by informing all units where the other team is expected to assault from.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 01-06-2015

(01-06-2015, 12:26 PM)Variable link Wrote:Regarding splitting teams and entering from multiple sides when assaulting a building. I think it's too effective and too cool of a tactic for us to avoid it due to fear of friendly fire. We need to mitigate this risk by informing all units where the other team is expected to assault from.

Yeah, one thing I try to do when leading to mitigate the risk is have the two teams sweep the target at right angles to each other, e.g. one from west and the other from north, so that each team isn't firing in the direction of the other. Of course, that's not always possible with buildings, where the location of entrances dictates the approach but in that case, assuming there's room and suitable cover (if needed) perhaps having the teams hold just inside by their respective entrances, at least initially, will help to avoid confusion about who's enemy, i.e. anyone who's not by the entrances