Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 10-24-2014

(10-24-2014, 01:24 AM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Me, yakir and ALIAS completed co@04_zarg_patrol.zargabad.pbo after everyone left. I ticked it in the mission list.
Please raid the workshop page http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=275135606&searchtext=

Re: The Debriefing Thread - alias - 10-24-2014

(10-24-2014, 01:36 AM)Variable link Wrote:Please raid the workshop page http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=275135606&searchtext=

Done, and missions list updated with link to STEAM for this mission.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 10-24-2014

(10-24-2014, 03:53 AM)alias link Wrote:Done, and missions list updated with link to STEAM for this mission.

I note it says it requires A3MP. Does AiATP substitute for this so that any mission that requires A3MP will work?

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 10-24-2014

(10-24-2014, 05:02 AM)doveman link Wrote:I note it says it requires A3MP. Does AiATP substitute for this so that any mission that requires A3MP will work?

Yes, although I think missions made on AiATP have a exclusive dependency on AiATP.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Thirith - 10-24-2014

Thanks for having me yesterday! I enjoyed my first session with CiA; I can't say when I'll be able to play again, but I'm definitely hoping to join you some other time.

Having said that, I wasn't a big fan of "The Rising Sun" as a mission. Much of this is personal preference; I prefer shorter missions to longer ones, and if it's a longer mission I think it benefits from more of an ebb and flow, and from more players. This mission felt like a string of shorter missions with driving time in between - I didn't get much of a feel for the overall goal we were after. The battle in the first town was exciting, but that would've made for a good mission of its own IMO.

It's not that I mind convoy missions usually - I actually like most of the Takistan-based convoy missions I've played. But it didn't work that well for me in terms of the overall goals; the enemies at the later objectives would know we're coming due to how the approach was designed, and they'd probably send an attack chopper or two to finish us off. It's difficult to put my finger on it, but the mission design didn't strike me as coherent or organic enough, even though I enjoyed the individual parts.

Except for the fires that hurt you when you pass at a distance of 5m. Daaaaamn.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 10-24-2014

The Rising Sun

I wasn't particularly bored and I've played worse missions which were almost as long but with far less action but I agree that this mission was certainly too long. I think long missions like this need to be split into chapters that can be completed in less than an hour (would be great if MP missions could be saved after each objective and resumed at a later date). Perhaps we could have found a way to use the vehicles at the town engagement, as they were sitting around doing nothing for quite a while, whilst the infantry went to try and clear the way and even if the vehicles wouldn't have been able to take out the threat, maybe they could have provided a diversion to make it easier for the infantry.

To some extent, the point of convoy missions is that you could be ambushed anywhere on the road but maybe to avoid them taking so long, authors could have certain sections of the road clear and then have radio/text messages from HQ saying "OK, intelligence shows the way is clear to sector G" with that marked on the map, so we can speed from one danger zone to the next, instead of having to crawl the whole way.

Alcyon

With so many boats patrolling, it was hard to get to the island and when we did, on the first attempt we stumbled across the enemy AA position and they soon took advantage of our blunder. On the second attempt, as the medic I resolved to stay a bit behind so that I wouldn't get shot in the face and be unable to assist my team but then the boats just shot me in the arse instead, so that didn't work either. If the other team manage to complete their objective (which I understand they had trouble doing in the short time available) and all, or most of, the boats move to investigate we might stand a chance but otherwise, I don't see us being able to do this as the boats will just rip us to shreds once we engage the infantry around the AA.

Ignis Greacis

OK, so most of our squad got killed but until then it was good fun, even with the darkness making it hard to see anything until we looted some bodies for NVGs. Good job completing it Alwarren and Yakir, I was watching the numerous enemies advancing towards you after I died and wasn't sure you were going to make it  :o  I think there was a guy in the house next to where Variable and I died, when you were dealing with the clipping guy in the other house, as I saw torchlight coming from around there but I think he might have left and moved off somewhere shortly after.

Shapur Assault

Well this went to pot quiet quickly! When we were recce-ing the area I spotted a couple of guys patrolling outside the right corner of the factory compound, who moved away parallel to our position, so they were behind us but they soon disappeared behind the ridge. A bit later, I saw someone quite a bit further away, so they may have kept going in the same direction and not been a threat at all when we advanced but I'm always a bit nervous about moving without being sure where the enemy is. I didn't notice any fire coming from behind us though but there was quite enough coming from in front!. Once Outlawz died and there was only two of us left, it was obvious we weren't going to get very far so we called it quits on that one.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 10-25-2014

Everybody, please read the following thread regarding medical standard operating procedures. It's very important. Let us know if you have any questions. Discussion is welcomed.
http://ciahome.net/forum/cia-coop-nights/medics-wounds-and-general-medical-sop/

Re: The Debriefing Thread - McGregor - 10-27-2014

Thanks for a good session last night even though I died early on the first one and lost Etzu and Val on the second one, I tried to save you. Don't have much to comment mission wise other than well played everyone. It's good to be back. See you Thursday

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 10-27-2014

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co16_double_trouble[/color]

Commanded the convoy with Den and Valhalian, encountered an Ifrit at Neochori and got hit by AT 1km north of Therisa while engaging the enemy there. The firefight inside Therisa was epic, I was certain I'd get shot dead, but me and Valhalian took on a squad on Bravo's flank. Started getting laggy towards the end, but managed to kill the last guy and completed the mission.

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co@15_blood_runner[/color]

The DOM base part went like clockwork with no losses in Charlie. Finding those campfires was a pain in the ass especially since it was increasingly dark. When we got ambushed by the GMG Ifrit, it was pure luck that I managed to spot its silhouette in the dark and RPG it. Afterwards went for a swim in daylight.  :-\

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co10_otl7_lz_under_fire[/color]

Well, I knew when I was making it that it would either be too easy or too hard, will update it.

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co@08_backdoor[/color]

Went well until the assault on the highway, those enemy AI fired at us with pin point accuracy and had seemingly endless supply of machine guns. I think we only made as far as we did thanks to the bullet resistance thing on Psycho revive which was cranked up to 11 and the endless supply of first aid kits spawning on us every time we got revived.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - HKFlash - 10-27-2014

Double Trouble

Hold location mission while facing an overwhelming number of enemy infantry with the added fact that Alpha and Bravo started low on ammunition. A couple of magazines and grenades and that was it. My character did not even have a smoke grenade which would come in handy later on.

Positioned my team according to Variable's instructions but when Alpha had to move out to help Charlie everything escalated quickly. Outnumbered, outgunned and attacked from multiple directions, Bravo quickly became pinned down inside the only house nearby. The enemy made good use of machine gunnery and we suffered two KIA. It should be said that trying to kill machine gunners in A3 when they are shooting at you is not recommended if you are in cover. Restrain yourself from firing back until the enemy either makes a pause, moves or reloads. Machine gun fire should be more inaccurate in game but this is what we have and we have to deal with it.

My team also made it clear that we had to move out but I wanted to do that in least the chaotic way, so priority one was to get everyone stacked on me so we could make a dash to the nearby warehouse. After the dust settled for a second I gave the order and, without suppressing fire nor smoke cover, four elements made a run for it. It was almost a miracle that we suffered no casualties while changing positions and it was probably one of the most tense moments I have ever had in an MP session since I started playing ArmA twelve years ago.

But that was not the end of it. Inside the warehouse the enemy maintained pressure, flanking and constantly shooting at us. The situation quickly became desperate until Gwynbleidd closed one the doors that gave access to the building. Yes, it was an easy solution but when bullets were flying everywhere and players were laying down bleeding, even that simple tactic did not occur to the rest of us. Again the position was compromised so we had to make a dash to Charlie's position, whose attack had already depressurized our flanks.

From there, Bravo resupplied and regrouped and we started defending the village. I ended up being killed by UnnamedGER when I spotted an enemy behind us and requested his help on taking him out. It should be said, that I did not order UnnamedGER to attack since he had a machine gun and we were in close quarters combat but I simply wanted him on my back in case I died so he was aware of the enemy position. As soon as I leaned I got shot with a bullet to the back of my head. I'm sorry GER if I was not clear when I gave you instructions.

I would like to say that in this mission, when everything was falling apart, my teammates maintained their cool, followed my instructions to the letter and demonstrated an out of the ordinary game play. We really have a lot of years of ArmA and yesterday in that mission our experience really surfaced.

Blood Runner

This time as a single machine gunner, defending the DOM base was child's play. I scored a good hit on one of the Varsuks and smashed the infantry with a hail of machine gun fire. The enemy was quickly brushed aside by us so we made our way to the camp fires.

A truck accident quickly turned into a nightmare though when we fell back to get a working vehicle. Ambushed and pinned down, we would be dead if without the other teams assistance.

After the time shift and without the Alias mod working it became weird seeing everything swimming though the air. But something went wrong when it came to the water raise since it seemed to be way too high, right?

LZ under fire

Similar to ck-law's Recovery mission, it became too easy to the lack of AA threats near the infantry's starting point and excellent visibility. Only ammo I used was smoke grenades to signal the LZ for the Orca.

Perhaps introduce fog and overcast? A couple of AA sites should also help.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 10-27-2014

(10-27-2014, 07:58 PM)HKFlash link Wrote:Double Trouble
When I read posts like that I feel gratified almost as I feel when I actually play such a great mission Smile
HK Please keep writing after every coop night like that!

I wasn't aware of the drama you guys at Bravo had, it always fascinates me that a klick away people are having such a different and interesting experience. This is truly one of Arma wonders. And I was worried that you guys on Bravo had a bland experience because you didn't move much. I was about to ask how the mission was for you when I read HK's great post.

We on Alpha had an interesting journey. When Charlie called we moved through the open rather fast, stopping only to catch our breath. We were exposed and took fire from a CSAT infantry team and got pinned down with little to no cover. We finally managed to disengage once all our men were patched up and continued to regroup, sporadically engaging infantry and hopefully relieving the pressure from Charlie. Once regrouped with them (I love the part when we start hearing the other team without the radios), we quickly rearmed - we were literally out of ammo at that point - and received a transmission from Bravo that they need quick assistance. Outlawz, Charlie lead, suggested that Alpha will take position on a close hill and observe the road to the town, and cover Charlie as they move fast to assist Bravo, while suppressing infantry that try to intervene. And that we did. Once the truck reached the town, Alpha started to move on foot back to the town, slowed by infantry contact at the field. When we reached the town Charlie reported an Ifrit. Alpha continued to engage the Ifrit, spotted it and Freeman killed it with an accurate AT shot. With the Ifrit destroyed, we moved quickly to regroup with the other teams. The enemy attacked the town from many directions, and managed to  get into the town. I was too fatigued when I surprised by an enemy who shot me, I bled and dragged by Alwarren, only to get shot during the drag.

I spectated and saw some hairy moments (awesome shooting Gwyn!) up to the mission success.

Great job everyone, and thank you Etzu for providing us with this great experience!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Gwynbleidd - 10-28-2014

(10-27-2014, 09:58 PM)Variable link Wrote:...and thank you Etzu for providing us with this great experience!

^Very much this. I have to say, I started to doubt if the mission even works, since we spotted the enemy just standing there, and we were waiting for quite some time, but hoped they're just waiting for the right "order".

And indeed they were, when they came at us with full force (hope nobody gets this the wrong way Big Grin ), it was couple of most intense minutes (if not the most intense, as HK nicely explained) I've had in Arma 3, so thanks for the mission Etzu!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Etzu - 10-28-2014

Really glad you guys enjoyed the mission. Generally I dislike my own missions but even I had a lot of fun playing. Great job leading HK. Few bugs to squash thanks to everyone's help and ill then publish.

Now to start making some RHS missions!

Blood runner: Hard to comment as I died in the first 60 seconds when I peaked around a corner.

Lz: Liked the mission, but I spent so much time reviving it was tough to really get engaged. The Ai seemed to have accurate shots at long distances too.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 10-31-2014

I was about to write something, but I have to admit I don't want to. This was for me the worst Coop night of all times, and I'd rather forget it happened.

Also, remind me to never take the leader slot again.

Sorry for the rant.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - alias - 10-31-2014

(10-31-2014, 01:34 AM)Varanon link Wrote:I was about to write something, but I have to admit I don't want to. This was for me the worst Coop night of all times, and I'd rather forget it happened.
Also, remind me to never take the leader slot again.
Sorry for the rant.

Wolfspack missions have the same effect on me Smile Somehow he manages to transform any simple task in a hassle, confusion and time consuming process. It moves the focus from having fun and enjoying the mission on trivial things hence the frustration on squad leaders and confusion on team members.
Everything feels strange, artificial, is hard even to put a name on it, i get a strange feeling like i don't play ARMA  :o  if this is even possible but this is how i feel.

I'm really sorry for all the effort he puts in his missions and apologize if i sound to harsh but they are really unappealing and frustrating from start to end, you have to be very zen and have a lot of free time to play these missions.

Fortunately we have more nights to come and this one will be left behind Smile