Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - alias - 10-17-2014

(10-17-2014, 12:10 PM)Varanon link Wrote:Blood Runner
I think 4 tanks are too much, they need multiple hits from the RPGs to be destroyed, and with the poor visibility, that's hard to pull off...

When we first time tried this we had no problems taking out the tanks, was piece of cake actually. We had 3 squads covering one sector at the time and we did great.
We should've used more flares for better visibility and hold position, we had people moving all around inside the base, squads were mixed up.
I'm sure will do better next time Smile

[/size]
(10-17-2014, 12:48 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Blood Runner
Is it just me, or are the RPG-7's ridiculously overpowered? They were normal warheads, not tandems, and they shouldn't be able to take out tanks just like that.

Yup, i think they overpowered but also the tanks are already weakened due all anti-gravity stuff going around Smile

(10-17-2014, 12:48 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Revolution
I have no idea why we had a communication problem. I tried to reach Alias several times, and it seemed to me that every time everyone on the team heard me, so I wonder what went wrong there.

Well, i wasn't prepared to take command, i was medic until then, my mind set was on looking to support people rather than leading.
I was a bit confused about communication protocol, switching from channel 1 to 2 tricked me several times, and i was a bit hasty at the end willing to finish the mission faster so people waiting in lobby can join.

Anyways, good job everyone. It was nice to have the win, was well deserved Smile

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 10-17-2014

Blood Runner
Of course holding fire on those tanks was a mistake. It was clear they were coming to get us and we would not be able to just avoid them by staying low and holding fire. My team had some great shots on the southern platoon of tanks (Unnamed top notch job continuously calling out the ranges! you rock!) and we were ordered not to engage. I fully understand that we need to follow command's orders, but when it's such a dangerous situation I think a team leader that has local understanding can overrule and engage. We could have saved 9 good people if we have fired that salvo we had lined up perfectly on the assaulting tanks.
I didn't know those PG-AT rounds are overpowered! Will use them next time Big Grin . I agree with Alias on this one, the tanks number is good. We easily overcame them on our previous attempt.
HK, sorry again for ending the mission, at that point in the env

Revolution
The first two phases went out perfectly. Too bad Team Red were detected on that hill - beware of AI tank detection guys! Crawl up hills (we rarely do that and we should!)! We had the time to spare and there was no need to rush it. Team Blue did great slowly chewing those Ifrits while we maneuvered and engaged infantry but kept in cover, that was no easy task! Good job on that guys, and nice AT action Cydon and Varanon!
We actually got overzealous and got almost to the airfield which I mistaken for the first AA. When I realized that we disengaged and retreated successfully. When we hunkered down on that structure waiting for Team Red, I took off to rearm on the nearest body and was taken out by an AA. I thought I had mistakenly moved into the LOF of the nearest AA but I checked and the only AA that could have seen me was the AA at airfield! Well, what can you do... The nightmare became complete when I saw my team moving into the LOF of the nearest AA, what were you thinking Alias?! NEVER EVER climb hills that are clearly covered with LOF of the enemy armor! Climb the other side of the hill and slowly crest, allowing you to quickly pull back into the cover of the terrain. Climbing hill sides that have line of fire to enemy forces is a big no no - once you are detected you have no where to run (up is no go because it will be too slow and down is no go because that's where the enemy is). Also, at that point Team Blue was better to hold until regrouped with Team Red - you guys had almost no ATs and were in no shape taking a full stronghold with an AA tank. I was relieved to see that Team Red saved the day - good job Alwarren and team!
Alias you could have passed the leadership to Varanon when you realized you can't communicate freely (he actually said he's taking command, you might have missed that).

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 10-17-2014

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co@15_oil_protection_services[/color]

I was transmitting on vehicle LR, but receiving on backpack LR, that's why no one heard me.

My strafing runs went well until the technicals shot me out of the sky.

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co@15_blood_runner[/color]

I think turning on the LR speakers was awful for communications, HK's voice already echoed enough and we were within shouting distance most of the time while in the DOM base, so I heard comms twice, very loudly and echo-ey. The defense against the 4 tanks went worse than on previous attempt, I think setting up RPGs on the two sandbag bunkers on the west side and hitting the tanks when they pass that side of the base is the best way to go.

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co@18_the_big_c[/color]

Went well, I think the enemy AI was somewhat "asleep" because we took them on without suppressing fire and I still walked in on three that could have shot me in 0.1 of a second, yet I won every time.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - alias - 10-17-2014

(10-17-2014, 03:08 PM)Variable link Wrote:Alias you could have passed the leadership to Varanon when you realized you can't communicate freely (he actually said he's taking command, you might have missed that).

I totally missed that, i would've been more than happy to release command at that point Smile

Agree with you about cresting, first i didn't know where AAA is than when i saw it i hopped we can hit it before it hit us... my bad... like i said too hasty Sad

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 10-17-2014

(10-17-2014, 02:08 PM)alias link Wrote:Well, i wasn't prepared to take command, i was medic until then, my mind set was on looking to support people rather than leading.

LOL you and me both, I was a medic too Wink

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 10-18-2014

Oil Protection Services
I wasn't able to do much more than spot enemies on this one, as my weapon wasn't really suited for long-range engagements, although I sent a few rounds in their direction and hopefully helped suppress them a bit. Totally shocked when an enemy vehicle suddenly drove right in front of me from my right, as I had a shed or something I was using for cover on that side, so I didn't see it (or hear it) until it was on top of me.

For anyone who had trouble hearing comms over the noise, try the attached TS3 plugin (just put it in your TS3/plugins folder). You can set how much it drops the game volume whilst someone's talking and the delay before it returns the volume to normal and I've found it quite helpful.

Blood Runner

With hindsight, Variable's probably right that I should have let Bravo engage the tanks, despite HK's order to hold fire and stay concealed. It wasn't clear to me that the tanks were coming for us rather than just circling though, so for future reference, squad members need to make sure they give their squad leaders a clear picture, as "there's a tank that's spotted us and is coming for us" is obviously different to "there's a tank and I've got a clear shot" (apologies if anyone did say more but that's all I recall hearing). I probably would have still wanted to clear it with HK before engaging (unless the tank was actually firing on us) but I would have done so with some urgency.

The big C

As Alwarren said, I completely misread the situation and thought that the compound I spotted with an enemy on the roof was the first area we had to clear. There were some solitary enemies walking around in between us and them and I wanted to take care of the bloke on the roof before we engaged them (in fact, if that had actually been the first compound, I would probably have ignored them completely and moved on), in case he was alerted by us engaging them and then had the height advantage to seriously threaten our wellbeing.

So we moved to the other side of the road, where we had some cover on our right flank from the patrolling enemies and moved up towards the compound (whilst doing so I was getting messages about the other teams clearing their first compounds, so I knew we had to pick up the pace a bit). Once in range, it was easy picking off the roof guy and the single guy patrolling the perimeter. I think there was just one guy left who surprised us a bit when we went to enter the compound but he didn't stand much chance.

It was only then that I realised we were at the third compound and had to backtrack to clear the other two, one of which was an almost flattened ruin and the other was more an orchard than a compound, so I don't feel too bad for overlooking them Wink

Hopefully the other teams didn't get too bored waiting for us to catch up and get into position to begin the main assault. Great job everyone clearing that without shooting each other, it could have easily got messy but good use of comms to update on everyone's position helped avoid that. I'd say it wasn't really much of a challenge at any stage though and would have welcomed a tougher defence at the main town at least.

Revolucioni

Seemed like a good mission, although I didn't see much action and got killed by the Tigris before all the fun started. Might well have been my own fault, as I positioned myself with a rock to my right, between the Tigris and myself, so that I could keep an eye on the enemies to our left flank but perhaps I accidentally moved out of cover and got spotted. I initially thought we were being fired on from behind, as most of the Tigris' shots were hitting the hill behind us and panicked and probably ended up making myself even more of a target. Anyway, if it was my fault we got spotted, sorry!

Operation Stonefish

I didn't recognise this mission until we were about to land and I saw the area and Etzu said he was alone on a mountain somewhere, as I'd only played it from Etzu's position before. I don't really understand why it's setup that way, as he's meant to be a spy or something preparing the way for us, so if there were a couple of guards on the beach for him to take out before we could land it would make sense but as it is, he just has to walk to the beach. As there's not even room for everyone who gets dropped from the helo in the single boat, it would be better IMO if we all just started together with two boats.

Shame we lost Variable so early on, always a pain in the arse when that happens after spending 10 minutes getting all the gear sorted. Anyway, Alwarren stepped up and did a great job of leading us (and as the medic, patching me up repeatedly. I seemed to be a bullet magnet on this one!) The tasks were a bit confusing, as I found the table with the laptop and picked up the codes but it didn't say anything or tick the task and it was only on the way to the extraction point that I found my radio menu had a "Open laptop" entry, which just brought up a picture of a map in the middle of the screen. Maybe I needed to do that straight after picking up the codes, whilst next to the laptop? Everyone tried the "Call for Extract" option but that just kept bringing up the map picture as well, so as we were at the extraction point, we called it completed. Hey, it ain't our fault if the ride doesn't show up Smile

A general comms point, which I've said before but it doesn't seem to have been picked up on, so I'll say it again. If we've only got SR radios and we need to split the team, it doesn't make sense to put one squad on Ch.1, the other on Ch.2 and then have each squad set the opposite channel as their alternate, as then the team leaders just get bombarded with the other teams intra-squad comms constantly. Just have both teams use Ch.3 (which is probably set to the same freq. for everyone already but if not, just pick something that's not used by Ch.1 or 2, e.g. 200) and set that as the alternate and then each team leader will only hear the other when they transmit on the alternate channel by pressing T. Simples Smile

Oh and the speaker on the radios isn't usable for me at present, as I can't hear the comms properly myself when it's enabled. I've asked nkey if he can make it so it still sends to the earpiece when speaker is enabled but until then, I won't be using it, so if squad members want to hear the LR comms, they'll need to set the alternate channel on their SR to the LR frequency.

If anyone doesn't know how to set the alternate channel or has any other problems using the radios, just ask me next time I'm on and I'll take you aside at the start of the mission and talk you through it (assuming it's not a mission that we need to hurry up with).

Re: The Debriefing Thread - UnNamedGER - 10-18-2014

Oil Protection Services

A nice quick mission, our ghost hawk was disabled by a technical but Valhalian did a good autorotation landing and after we killed a technical coming for the chopper we were able to repair it with the truck and hand over the captured technical to the infantry.

Blood Runner

I grabbed a RPG and some grenades for it as it was clear we were to defend against tanks i didn't mind the weight(45 kg as I already was a maschienegunner). in the western lookout I made use of the fixed MG to spot the tanks and give ranges and directions to the team. When the tanks were about 100m away I got out of the MG to get into position with the RPG as I thought we would be ordered to engage any moment... well the tanks got the first shot and I was killed by it ^^.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - HKFlash - 10-18-2014

Oil Protection Services

Pretty standard mission, hold location against waves of enemy infantry. I was armed with an M16A4 + M203 that did not have any kind scope so actually hitting the enemy was difficult. Grenade launcher was also completely out of range so I assumed more of a rifleman role when defending against the infantry. Everything went smooth until suddenly I have a car on my front (my cover was to my left and it came from left to right) which absolutely stunned me. But  surprise surprise, once I peaked out of cover I see an entire column of these vehicles. I have no idea why no one (and I'm really referring to everyone not just the leaders) reported their direction of approach nor why wasn't our firepower directed at these since they were an higher threat when compared to the infantry coming down the hill (in my opinion). Whatever the case, we made do with what we had and managed to wipe out the enemy with low casualties. Good job.

Blood Runner

An escape mission against overwhelming odds. Personally I can't command a Fire Team and Squad at the same time in these kind of assignments so I would rather avoid that in the future. Although for you Variable it was clear that the tanks were coming for us, for me it was not. Considering we were a small infantry squad I would have rather have avoided them than actually confront them. I should also say that this kind of feedback should be transmitted in mission, so in this case if you think the armor is rolling on us you should have no problem in relaying that information to your Team leader which will then communicate with the Squad leader. I did have plans for a defense of the DOM base and I did highlight that in the briefing but when I saw tanks and looked at my squad mates with scopeless RPG I made the hard call. Of course we did fail to remain concealed. Defense of the base would have been done with one squad facing north, another west and finally one facing south. If the enemy attacked us from a single direction my plan was to shift all squads to that bearing to allow for more firepower to be delivered.

The plan I put into action was to avoid combat but if the tanks approached the base and detected us, we would have an easier time destroying them since they were closer but that doesn't seem to be an issue problem as was shown in the Revolucioni mission (although an RPG-42 is very different from an RPG-7) where some of our team member showed some great Anti-Tank marksmanship.

I was also ignorant that our RPG-7 were on steroids. 8)

The big C

Direct action mission against several compounds with a lot of close quarters combat. The enemy was in low numbers so the trick was to pay attention to lone wolfs that existed between the compounds that could be bypassed and then attack us from the rear.  Bravo did an excellent job and I would like to highlight Stick's outstanding leadership and communication when I split the squad and assigned him a team. Everything went smooth until the third compound when our double assault on it was stopped short by enemy fire from the main base. Stick's team entered it and my team did not since it was pinned resulting in his death. The enemy was hidden in the foliage that existed within the compound so when I assaulted it I was ambushed and kill. I was also hesitant to fire since I did not know if the other team was inside and wanted to avoid FF.

I can't remember who assumed command afterwards but you did a good job. The final assault on the main base was underwhelming though, with not a lot of opposition. Solid mission though with alot of potential and space for improvement.

Revolucioni

Another direct action, this time with high tech FIA attacking several CSAT positions. Variable's leadership here was among the best I have seen so far, despite the mission putting 12 (?) men into a single unit (!) he had no problems coordinating every team. The village clearing went smooth and it was a pity that Varanon's RPG-42 did not hit the Orca when it was about to disembark its troops (although said helicopter was hit later when it finally touched down, good shot for the player that pulled that off).

I must confess that after that I lost track of the mission progress and even my own location (I remember asking Varanon "where the hell are we?"). Only thing I remember was going down hill killing some CSAT patrols along the way. When we split I was told to hold position but once Variable was spotted by the Tigris and since I was between him and the enemy I got killed by a barrage of 30mm (or 40?) fire. Great mission though.

Conclusion

For me it was a great session with some great missions. I was having so much fun that I actually ended up playing for four straight hours, something I never did before.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - JGaz-UK - 10-18-2014

Re OPERATION STONEFISH;
In the mission. Primary & secondary tasks must both be both completed & ticked off before getting to extraction point, when & if, all squad members are present, you can use the radio to call for extraction Echo (boat), which will take a few minutes. Squad should Secure & hold extract zone. (radio call will only be available when the above is true) The extraction is not automatic as there is a choice of the final extra task; The Black Box

Sometimes in Arma3 (and A2 also) you have to "report position 5 & 5" for the mission to check alive players.

The additional extra  "Collect black box" for a full missions complete should only be attempted by professionals....  8)

The black box is in there BUT; deliberately not easy to pull out, which mission wise  can give the enemy boat time to arrive (time random) There are a number of ways to play this mission & there is a lot of random enemy, so it should be different every time.

PS Re the Dude on the beach; He was added for JIP & because of limited space in boat, he can change into uniform after meet up. Not sure if you had the final version. will check & upload

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 09:22 PM)HKFlash link Wrote:I have no idea why no one (and I'm really referring to everyone not just the leaders) reported their direction of approach nor why wasn't our firepower directed at these since they were an higher threat when compared to the infantry coming down the hill (in my opinion).
We received radio communication from HQ warning us we are about to meet these guys and the direction they were coming from. However, I agree that we should have actively assign one guy to cover that side. Not that it would have mattered that much, they came in from low ground and very fast.

(10-18-2014, 09:22 PM)HKFlash link Wrote:I should also say that this kind of feedback should be transmitted in mission, so in this case if you think the armor is rolling on us you should have no problem in relaying that information to your Team leader which will then communicate with the Squad leader.

We did receive a warning (again, from HQ) that the tanks are approaching us. In such case there's no reason to believe that they will just drive away. Maybe in real life, not much in a game Wink
The information was relayed but the chain of event was so fast that I think in such cases the local team leader should just overrule and order his guys to fire.

(10-18-2014, 09:22 PM)HKFlash link Wrote:Bravo did an excellent job and I would like to highlight Stick's outstanding leadership and communication when I split the squad and assigned him a team.

Good job Stick! Smile

(10-18-2014, 09:22 PM)HKFlash link Wrote:
For me it was a great session with some great missions. I was having so much fun that I actually ended up playing for four straight hours, something I never did before.

Glad you liked it HK, I love reding such posts! Smile

(10-18-2014, 10:16 PM)JGaz-UK link Wrote:Re OPERATION STONEFISH;
In the mission. Primary & secondary tasks must both be both completed & ticked off before getting to extraction point, when & if, all squad members are present, you can use the radio to call for extraction Echo (boat), which will take a few minutes. Squad should Secure & hold extract zone. (radio call will only be available when the above is true) The extraction is not automatic as there is a choice of the final extra task; The Black Box

Yeah, not sure what happened there. I picked up the codes but the task didn't tick. Maybe only the leader should pick them up? We had the radio call for extract when we were at the extraction point, even though the codes task hadn't ticked but we all tried it and it just kept popping up the intel map and we waited around for a few minutes but nothing turned up, so we called it.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - HKFlash - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 10:19 PM)Variable link Wrote:
We did receive a warning (again, from HQ) that the tanks are approaching us. In such case there's no reason to believe that they will just drive away. Maybe in real life, not much in a game Wink
The information was relayed but the chain of event was so fast that I think in such cases the local team leader should just overrule and order his guys to fire.

Honestly I was afraid you were going to say that, meaning I completely missed that part of the communication! Argh the frustration!  :-\  Initially I thought they were just passing by since they were moving from right to left!

(10-18-2014, 10:30 PM)HKFlash link Wrote:Honestly I was afraid you were going to say that, meaning I completely missed that part of the communication! Argh the frustration!  :-\  Initially I thought they were just passing by since they were moving from right to left!

In that case it was my fault, as I didn't hear that, so I didn't pass it up  :-\

Re: The Debriefing Thread - JGaz-UK - 10-19-2014

(10-18-2014, 10:27 PM)doveman link Wrote:Yeah, not sure what happened there. I picked up the codes but the task didn't tick. Maybe only the leader should pick them up? We had the radio call for extract when we were at the extraction point, even though the codes task hadn't ticked but we all tried it and it just kept popping up the intel map and we waited around for a few minutes but nothing turned up, so we called it.

Always pays to read the Brief pick up the codes & blow up the VHS Radio mast just outside, thats required for task2 & All THREE transmitter masts at task1 When a task is complete it will tick off ,& you get a message come up. if at first etc

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 10-19-2014

(10-18-2014, 10:45 PM)doveman link Wrote:In that case it was my fault, as I didn't hear that, so I didn't pass it up  :-\
Well, I don't think we were clear to the point of "these tanks are going to kill us unless we shoot NOW" (come to think of this, it was a mistake not to be extra assertive at that point). The situation was hectic indeed but we have tried this mission before and we (unlike HK) knew what's about to happen Smile Add that to the fact that those tanks were getting dangerously close, I think a bold decision to fire was called for. Just a point to take into consideration in the future.