Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 09-05-2014

Gravity
Good leading freeman, I hope next time we try this in its modified version you'll take the lead again. One comment - keep the teams posted about your intentions. For example - "we will take the next hill and have a look. Then we will decide how to proceed".

Molten Iron
Great job leading Bravo UnamedGER, it was a pleasure working with you Smile I think we all can take example from Unnamed and his way of repeating orders. It assures the commander that he knows what he's doing.
Great job everybody on this mission. All units seemed to have been working professionally. Alpha had a fierce fight over the AA hill but we managed to overcome. The best part of that mission was to see Bravo attacking the bridge while we used scavanged sniper rifles to support their attack and took out some armor that was threatening them with long range AT shots. I would love to read a debriefing post from someone in Bravo...

Heavy Water
Cool mission! Feels very summery with all the boats, the short cloths the swimming and diving. I would love to have another go at it.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 09-05-2014

(09-02-2014, 11:12 PM)Varanon link Wrote:Just to make it clear, I can reduce the amount of enemies/vehicles

Nah, I guess we're not at that point yet.  It just seemed like a lot when I was spectating, but I guess we were already down several men at that point so it might have been more doable with more people alive.  I'd love to give it at least another couple tries as-is.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - UnNamedGER - 09-05-2014

This one is probably filled with a lot of spelling errors.

Molten Iron

As this was only my second time leading a squad (the first being on the mission before) I felt like I was running arround confused, but I had a great team wich made it much easier for me.
Our first Task was to clear the ammo depot at the beach and search for explosives. After getting an Overview via Outlawz Darter Drone we moved into the small village next to the depot, wich we could see and stealthly engage from there. After the three guard towers were cleared, I took two men to investigate and make sure the depot was clear. After taking some explosives we moved out to our primary objective, the Observation Post.
Halfway to the Observation Post Alpha radioed us to redirect us to the West Bridge, wich we were to destroy. Given their position on a hill Alfa was able to inform us on enemys heading our direction and also take out some trucks and APC heading our direction wich enabled us to move towards the bridge with only one short firefight on the way wich we disengaged from without casulties when Alfa engaged the enemy patrol.
At the Bridge I fucked up, leading us towards it on a way from wich we had no line of view ending in an enemy squad engaging us from 25-50 meters.  My squad was able to overcome the enemy with help from Alfa, but we lost 2 men at this point (hope I got tat count right, sorry llauma I didnt notice you were dead too until 15 minutes later Sad ). After securing the bridge our JTAC (Outlawz) was sent to Alfa to help them take out the enemys Tanks while we made our way to the Observation Post.
Ariving at the Observation Post we had to notice that we were not able to observe the enemys HQ from there. After a few minutes Orders came From Alfa to move to a cemetary to get visual on the HQ. One of my squad members was able to make out the HQ and some bunched up enemy infantry in the city wichs position we told  Alfa for an Airstrike. We then moved to a Compund on the edge of the city with orders to get into the city once the CAS bird dropped its bomb. Moving in Alfa came under heavy fire, so we put silencers back onto our weapons flanking the enemys engaging Alfa undetected for a moment.
That was when we came unter heavy close range fire for the second time. We were able to disengage and heal our wouded after some moments and then meet Alfa at the street.
From Alfa we learned that we had to Exfiltrate stealing a hostile chopper from an Airfield a few click to the east. Lead by Alfa we quickly movedto the other end of the city were Alfa had spotted a truck earlier.
We picked up Outlawz and moved to the Airfield, were we engaged a guard squad and a patrol and finaly found us a chopper for our exfiltration.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 09-06-2014

Thanks Unnamed, that was a great after action report. Good read.

It was Outlawz you sent to us and he lazed the targets for the air support. We traded McGregor with him as he was carrying the AT mines.

Did you still have a Darter with batteries when we assaulted the town?

We shouldn't have attacked the town, we probably would have been better off disengaging silently than trying to take out the town's garrison. I thought it would be fun to attack, and would be easier, but they put up a good fight. at least the battle was intense...

Re: The Debriefing Thread - UnNamedGER - 09-06-2014

Outlawz probably hat some battery power left as he did a quick check on the airfield later on, he was the only UAV operator on that mission.

Probably you are right that we should not have attacked the town, but for what we were able to see from the cemetery it looked like a squad at most in the town.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 09-06-2014

(09-06-2014, 11:12 AM)Variable link Wrote:We shouldn't have attacked the town, we probably would have been better off disengaging silently than trying to take out the town's garrison. I thought it would be fun to attack, and would be easier, but they put up a good fight. at least the battle was intense...

I think the fun aspect is more important. It was only once you died and I took over command that I decided it would be more prudent to abort and extract from the area.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 09-06-2014

(09-06-2014, 11:49 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:I think the fun aspect is more important. It was only once you died and I took over command that I decided it would be more prudent to abort and extract from the area.
True that.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 09-08-2014

Lost Squad
Glorious defeat on the last attempt, which was ideal for the last one for that evening. A couple of pointers for leaders in this missions:
Ground team
  • [size=1em]Position yourself from where you can disengage a superior force and put something solid between you and the enemy, like a hill or a structure. Try to keep on the move if you are engaged.[/size]
  • [size=1em]Don't get hit! The survival of your team depends on you keeping comms with the choppers and directing them.[/size]
  • [size=1em]Keep talking so the pilots could use the level of distortion to assess whether they are getting closer to you.[/size]
  • [size=1em]Avoid marking your position with smoke. But if you have to, don't use white smoke! The enemy is usually using white smoke and that makes it highly confusing for the gunships to decide where is the enemy and where are you.[/size]
  • [size=1em]Once contact is made, use multiple chemlights to mark your position, IR grenades are even better, use both.[/size]
  • [size=1em]Use flares only when a chopper is visible[/size]
CSAR team
  • [size=1em]Split up to cover more ground. Each chopper should be sent to different part of the island.[/size]
  • [size=1em]Keep talking. Try to determine whether you are getting closer to the ground team by the level of radio distortion.[/size]
  • [size=1em]Keep your collision lights on. When locating the team and engaged with the enemy, turn them off.[/size]
  • [size=1em]When the ground team think they see you, release flares.[/size]
Any other pointers we should remember for next time?

When Civilians Defend
Good job everybody, I wasn't sure we are going to make it. Gotta love seeing enemy infantry blowing up on the mines. None of them came through the valley! I was sure the bulk of the force will attack through it so I had it all densely mined. Damn that Ifrit was moving exactly where I planned on placing a SLAM mine...
Another mission designed to be played with respawn is beaten without it on CiA!

Bomberman Three
Ambushing Delta's convoy
To be honest I'm not sure what happened on the second attempt when we managed to overcome the hostages convoy defenders. Can anyone from my team shed light on what happened there? All I know is that the lead vehicle evaded the explosive charge, I took out the rear Ifrit and then hell broke loose and in its end, I chased the lead Ifrit and took it out with an RPG when it returned and attacked us.

What happened in between?

Attacking the FOB
I wasn't expecting that much resistance. When we were attacked from behind by enemy reinforcements I wanted to push forward and take cover in the FOB which I assessed to be lightly guarded by the time we got there. I was terribly wrong. These guys fought like lions there and didn't let us in. It was a fierce battle and we put up a good fight. Good job guys. For next time - I'll get back to our crates and re-equip with AT. I had only HE to hit that chopper with. AT would have destroyed it to pieces.

Great mission, loved every second of it.

Korean War
I like that one although it was a bit on the Hollywood side, gotta appreciate the effort that was put in it and recruiting all the mums and girlfriends to do voice acting. I had the entertaining job of calling in fire missions, and boy, was I surprised to see CSAT on that windmill. I was on my quad bike when I saw an Iranian fellow strolling in front of me. He wasn't more than 10 meters away when I broke left and drove away, I only saw him raising his weapon. I tried to return and attack but his friends were already alerted so I pulled back, called in a 3 shells fire mission on them with good effect on target. By the time I got there, the APC crew was there to help me mop up the two survivors that remained.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 09-08-2014

Lost Squad

I think the issue was that on all attempts, the ground squad started in open ground and stayed there. They should keep moving until the enemy catches up. On the first try, we also had the blur bug for like 10 minutes.

Bomberman Three
Quote:All I know is that the lead vehicle evaded the explosive charge, I took out the rear Ifrit and then hell broke loose and in its end, I chased the lead Ifrit and took it out with an RPG when it returned and attacked us.

I think me and spaceBeluga (and you, Variable?) shot all the infantry while the lead Ifrit took out leechy.

Korean War
I think farooq's revive made it too easy, Den got shot something like 7 times by the BTR-Ks. The briefing/mission setup really made my head hurt, I guess we should have waited for Variable to mortar the BTRs then move in.

Firefight Alikampos
Was expecting it to be more difficult, I only ever saw one four-man fireteam and debriefing screen said I apparently killed three of them myself. :p

Extraction Point
Looked promising, wish the mission worked.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 09-08-2014

(09-08-2014, 12:12 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Lost Squad

I think the issue was that on all attempts, the ground squad started in open ground and stayed there. They should keep moving until the enemy catches up. On the first try, we also had the blur bug for like 10 minutes.

I am also not sure that the grenade that took out half the team was actually enemy. But with half the team dead, we simply lacked the firepower to handle them.

On the second attempt, we were not in open ground. There was a hilltop nearby that I made for that had plenty of rocks all around, but the position seemed to be getting overrun so I ordered to move. There was a second hill with rocky cover to our southwest, so I decided to move there instead and try to establish a new firing position.

The mistake I made then was when the chopper was flying, like, 400 meters away from us, I concentrated too much on redirecting the chopper and halted for like half a minute. There was little cover there. I should have kept moving to the new position, but I wanted to make sure the chopper saw us. That was when we got attacked, and people started to go down. At that point, it was either abandon the wounded or stand and fight. I don't leave people behind (*heroic music playing*), and since the chopper was so close I thought that we would need a landing site anyway, so we stayed were we are.

When we realized the chopper was not going to come back, moving had already become a non-option, we were pinned down, and to care for the wounded, and eventually the chopper found us.

Too bad, that was actually quite close, and if the first chopper had found us in time, we probably would have made it, because up to that point we were all in good shape still.

Quote:Korean War
I think farooq's revive made it too easy, Den got shot something like 7 times by the BTR-Ks. The briefing/mission setup really made my head hurt, I guess we should have waited for Variable to mortar the BTRs then move in.

Agreed, you can essentially not die, the revive is way too quick, and you have plenty of time.

I was the APC's driver, and I didn't see much so I didn't even notice what happened until the Marshall went up in flames already. We went up on the hill with the windmills to link up with Variable afterwards, who had been wounded by the BTR-K. After getting him up, I casually looked around at the windmills and discovered a CSAT guy lying inside one of the windmills, facing away from the door, completely oblivious to our presence as we had been to his. After I shot him, the task ticked Big Grin

The rest of the operation went okay after the airstrikes had taken out the BTR-K's.

What I found hilarious was that the briefing and setup were all totally military, but there were callsigns like "Budweiser" and "BoomBoom"... gimme a break Big Grin

Quote:Firefight Alikampos
Was expecting it to be more difficult, I only ever saw one four-man fireteam and debriefing screen said I apparently killed three of them myself. :p

Yeah, that was a tad bit anti-climatic. I expected some more vehicle cover or at least a platoon-sized force. Still it was a nice mission, short but at least not over the top like many other assault-the-town missions.

Quote:Extraction Point
Looked promising, wish the mission worked.

Seconded. The setup looked fun, and the mission itself was pretty well set up, but the list of issues was pretty long. Too bad, hope he fixes it and we can try it again.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - UnNamedGER - 09-08-2014

Lost squad

Nothing much to add here.
On the first try I was busy trying to coordinate the other two choppers and not crashing my chopper while looking at the map, also I was probably too focused on the North since the lost squad said they suspected to be to our north west.
On the third try I had the throttle too low in a turn and crashed without being hit once, not my best flying xD.

Bomberman Three

I got to be commander here because of not working radio settings. Unfortunately I was so focused on Charlies trys to free Delta that I forgot to give orders to Bravo to move into a position from which they could engage the FOB without attacking it. Probably would have worked better if we had had a coordinated attack on the FOB. I thought we would be able to make it, then the reinforcements showed showed up.

Korean war

Wanted to be squad leader, grabbed a slot, once the misson started hat to notice I was in charge of everything, first thought "well... shit"
Had I noticed that while in the briefing screen or had chosen it on purpose I would have read the Briefing in a little different way.
Having read the briefing thinking I would be a SL it took me quite a few moments before Variable suggested that he would move into overwatch and someone suggested we move to the CO before any kind of plan had formed in my head. (well actually I didn't have any real plan until after the APC and AA were down xD .... sorry for that). I was once about to grab two of Gwyn's men to go to the windmills and  help Variable until I remembered being commander I probably should rather send Gwyn with some of his men.
I was glad the mission was quite straight forward after the vehicles were down so I didn't have the chance to get any of you killed, by giving stupid orders or none at all xD.
Also it helped a lot that everyone was great and I got good input and suggestions.

(yeay, I just found the spellcheck button xD)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Den - 09-08-2014

Lost Squad
Good mission attempts, a shame that the heli was blown up, the only thing i could think of suggesting, if you're near a bunker/base like in 3rd attempt, could've tried to hold up and defend there although not sure on enemy spawns.

Another tip is to attempt to pick up Radios from enemies for easier comms.

Final tip is not to linger around the helicopter due to high risk of rocket launcher ( ?° ?? ?°).

Also as soon as leader dies, if possible try to pick up LR radio ASAP and re-establish contact with helicopters.

When Civilians Defend
Good mission, putting mines and sniping enemies was fun. Went well.

PS. Variable stepped on my mine.  :-[

Korean War
Really fun mission with alot of things happening simultaneously, shame the Player's APC which i was gunner of didn't notice the enemy apc earlier (didn't show up on thermal and blended in with surroundings) but i did take it out and blow up our apc along with it. With player's APC would've likely went much quicker.

Things to do for everybody. Had fun with apc crew although died about 7 times. Another great and enjoyable mission.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 09-09-2014

Lost Squad

I was leading on the final attempt, and frankly I found it extremely difficult because I constantly had like 4+ people talking at once over the comms.  Anyway, like previous attempts, we got caught out in the open and were overrun.  The helicopters found us at least, and we almost got there, but an RPG took out the helicopter.  I took a look around after I died and realized we were completely surrounded, so I'm not sure we could have really just run to another location without being pinned down.  Either way, fun mission whether we succeed or not.

When Civilians Defend

This was the one where we defended the town with mines?  If so, fun mission.  Had to commandeer an enemy Zafir early on since we had so little ammo, but it was a lot of fun firefights all around.  Almost made it to the end but I died just before we completed the mission.

Korean War

Another fun mission, with a lot of interesting voice work and mission details (albeit a bit overdone on the briefing, IIRC).  Felt a little slow starting out, and other than the AA that engaged us and a few infantry, it felt like the majority of the work was done by artillery.  Still, it was a spectacular light show.  Big Grin

One odd thing in this mission is I kept taking single shots which instantly downed me, without ever hearing gunfire from any direction.  It happened 2-3 times and I am not sure why.  Maybe a sniper?  But I never heard or saw one afterwards so it was a little strange.

Bomberman Three

Another good mission, though a fair amount was spent in the back of a truck (which I don't mind, really).  On the second attempt we were able to make it to the FOB, but we got pinned down inside the base (Outlawz and myself, and one or two others) and ultimately just couldn't hold them all off.  Lots of action though and it was very fun.

(09-08-2014, 11:38 PM)Den link Wrote:PS. Variable stepped on my mine.  :-[

Actually, I think it was mine.  In the end I saw Variable on my kill list.  Not sure why he wasn't able to see them, I could see all of the red triangles from pretty much unlimited distance, but anyway, not really anyone's fault.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 09-12-2014

co12_mad_minotaur_german

JIP'd in, went ok for the guard post at the dam. I think we rushed the mortar position when we had time, everyone formed column behind Variable and we all got pinned in the same spot. The 'only medic can revive' is a pain in the ass.

co09_sigma01_survivor_training

Running into that bounding mine was fun.

co08_sigma02_anti_ambush

Sorry for taking it so slow, I thought we were supposed to ambush the FIA and I didn't want to bring vehicles that far since they're easier to detect, but looked like they were never there, the task never ticked or got cancelled.

I guess we could have followed the convoy in vehicles, but then the UAV bug would claim every UAV operator.  Sad

co04_otl7_sleepy_hill

Managed to stay alive til reinforcements came on second try, but still got shot to pieces, too hard?  Tongue

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 09-12-2014

Pretty frustrating night yesterday, lots of things going wrong.
I hope nobody takes what I say here personal. It's not meant as such.

Avengence Needle

Highlight of the mission: Variables Shorts Big Grin Someone opened fire prematurely and it went downhill  pretty quickly. When I saw the Iffrit, I had the choice of getting shot in the back by it or try to make it to the machine gun nest. I tried the MG, but there was someone on the road that shot me and I bled out.

Game of Drones

I dunno about you, but I do like the mission, even though that is rarely the case of missions I made myself. The problem here, though, was lack of leadership/control. We stayed too long in one place, stayed in the open, allowed ourselves to be shut in. We also missed a lot of AT shots. All in all, a pretty humiliating experience, and the rising, shall we say, frustration  level of some of us probably didn't make it much better. I am always nervous when we play one of my missions ("Will people like it? Will they be bored?") so I was pretty much on the edge myself. I'm pretty insecure about my own missions, even though I love to play to see that they work/are enjoyable.

Lessons learned:
The leader must effectively use the two fireteams. Too many times, Team Direwolf was left to fend for their own, or they had to guess were the enemy was.
Never stay in one position too long so that they can outmanoever you.
If you have a machine gun, make use of that lead.
When you play the Game of Drones, you win or you die.

Mad Minotaur

I don't think I did bad on that one with commanding (but feel free to bash me if you think otherwise). I couldn't use my LR when I was down, and plainly the "only medic can review" is stupid if you only give one medic for two teams. I screwed up the end because I hung back too much out of fear of the APC, so Bravo was pretty much on their own, which was my fault. I had originally planned to move onto the slopes of the large hill and have an overwatch with Den and Hellhammer and then move in on the mortar position on two sides, but the sudden contact and Bravo running iinto the mortar base pretty much ruined that.

Other than that, I liked the mission. It had enough enemies, but not over the top many. Too bad about the medic.

Survivor Training

That damn mine took me out even though I was pretty far away. Mission was way too short, and had the AT guy lug around 60 kg for nothing.

Splitting up the team was a good move, too bad we noticed the mine too late.

Anti Ambush

Damnable UAV Terminal bug. The mission was too long, and had the AT guy lug around 60 kg for nothing. I thought it was rather disappointing, I do expect more from Bardosy but I guess everyone has their downtimes...