Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 07-03-2014

Based on his testing, it seems like it's heavily reliant on wind conditions, random luck, etc.  But yeah, it can/does obscure their vision to some extent if the stars align.  Tongue

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 07-03-2014

(07-03-2014, 03:31 AM)MavericK link Wrote:Based on his testing, it seems like it's heavily reliant on wind conditions, random luck, etc.  But yeah, it can/does obscure their vision to some extent if the stars align.  Tongue
You make it sound like it's not reliable. I think his tests show that it has the same effect as it has on humans. The AI will not see through thick smoke, but if they know about you, they will fire through partial smoke screen. AI will also fire on your last known location if they saw you moving before you entered into a smoke screen. It's all quite impressive.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - McGregor - 07-03-2014

(07-02-2014, 02:42 PM)Variable link Wrote:See PoorOldSpike's smoke test. I was glad to find out that AI vision IS blocked by smoke! Smile
Just note that if the AI sees you moving into the smoke, it will predict your location and fire at it, just as humans would do. maybe that's what happened to you in Wolfpack Day 4.

Hmm interesting. I will have to replicate that test my self. I will also do it with an Ifrit because that's what murdered us by death

Re: The Debriefing Thread - alias - 07-04-2014

Trap

Nice mission, felt a bit light, easy, but the location, troops placement was nice. Could be a challenge for unexperienced players, for us was piece of cake. Our teams coordinated and flanked well enemy positions. They didn't have a chance.

If you didn't rate this mission yet please do so here:
http://game-comics.com/trap/
Just give the number of stars you think this mission deserve. Thanks.

Eagle Claw

I liked the overall settings, clear objectives, the location made sense, i wish i had more time to stay and see the ending. I suppose you completed the mission.
Would be nice too see more aerial activity or more aircrafts landed or parked on ground since was the airfield we attacked. Also more patrols would've made sense.
I like how our team moved in formation and was able to cross an open space even with a Hunter... hunting us.

Again, please rate the mission here:
http://game-comics.com/eagle-claw/

Nightwalk

Challenging mission, but our teams did very well eliminating a lot of targets, the only problem was with the HVT.. sneaky bastard, he was spawned in the sea or he run away by himself for a night swim?

Poking nest?

Not sure about the name, I liked the mission, pretty challenging, too bad we had some bugs like invisible gear (mortar), friendly dead bodies vanishing. Despite we died like flies i think we did good and i'm looking forward to play it again. This mission could use a UAV or a AH9 in the air for surveillance. Flat ground didn't help our planning but made it more compelling. As for reviving script... well, just protect the medic next time Smile

Guerilla

Nice insertion, a lot of room for different approaches and variation, too bad some of us didn't have wings and they prefered to test the theory of gravity Big Grin
Maybe will see a fix sometimes soon for this mission.

Good job CiA, until the next time!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 07-05-2014

(07-04-2014, 05:54 PM)alias link Wrote:Trap

Nice mission, felt a bit light, easy, but the location, troops placement was nice. Could be a challenge for unexperienced players, for us was piece of cake. Our teams coordinated and flanked well enemy positions. They didn't have a chance.

If you didn't rate this mission yet please do so here:
http://game-comics.com/trap/
Just give the number of stars you think this mission deserve. Thanks.

Fun mission indeed. Sorry to almost forgot you stranded on that hill Alwarren lol! We had some communication problems due to me messing with the alternate radio channel.
Can someone explain how are we suppose to work with the alternate radio channel? Can we somehow configure the channels so that each team has its own frequency, but everybody can hear the leader's speaking?

(07-04-2014, 05:54 PM)alias link Wrote:Eagle Claw

I liked the overall settings, clear objectives, the location made sense, i wish i had more time to stay and see the ending. I suppose you completed the mission.
Would be nice too see more aerial activity or more aircrafts landed or parked on ground since was the airfield we attacked. Also more patrols would've made sense.
I like how our team moved in formation and was able to cross an open space even with a Hunter... hunting us.
It seems like also in Vanilla it takes a lot of RPGs to take out a sandstorm, I tested it later to confirm.

(07-04-2014, 05:54 PM)alias link Wrote:Nightwalk 
Challenging mission, but our teams did very well eliminating a lot of targets, the only problem was with the HVT.. sneaky bastard, he was spawned in the sea or he run away by himself for a night swim?
nonetheless, it was a great mission! Too bad we beat it and we won't play it again... Smile

(07-04-2014, 05:54 PM)alias link Wrote:Poking nest? 
Not sure about the name, I liked the mission, pretty challenging, too bad we had some bugs like invisible gear (mortar), friendly dead bodies vanishing. Despite we died like flies i think we did good and i'm looking forward to play it again. This mission could use a UAV or a AH9 in the air for surveillance. Flat ground didn't help our planning but made it more compelling. As for reviving script... well, just protect the medic next time
Loved that mission. We had some challenging firefights in it. Got to keep that medic alive, I provided Imperator, its creator, some review. Feel free to add more points that I missed.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=276399428&searchtext=poking+the+nest

Good leading Outlawz! We almost made it. Looking forward to more missions lead by you.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 07-05-2014

Every time there's a 'only medics can revive', there's only one medic and he gets shot first.

It's like Murphy's Law of revive scripts.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - alias - 07-05-2014

Can someone explain how are we suppose to work with the alternate radio channel? Can we somehow configure the channels so that each team has its own frequency, but everybody can hear the leader's speaking?

Quick and dirty fix will be for everyone to have Long range radion but only leader to use it.

(07-05-2014, 07:08 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Every time there's a 'only medics can revive', there's only one medic and he gets shot first.

It's like Murphy's Law of revive scripts.

Indeed, AI seem to medic as HVT among officer.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 07-05-2014

(07-05-2014, 08:15 PM)alias link Wrote:Quick and dirty fix will be for everyone to have Long range radion but only leader to use it.

Easier...

Team 1 - channel 1
Team 2 - channel 2
Team 3 - channel 3

all times: alternate channel n (for example, channel 9)

So to speak to all teams, simply speak on alternate channel

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 07-05-2014

(07-05-2014, 10:05 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Easier...

Team 1 - channel 1
Team 2 - channel 2
Team 3 - channel 3

all times: alternate channel n (for example, channel 9)

So to speak to all teams, simply speak on alternate channel

I was thinking about this after that mission and what would've also worked is:

Team 1 - Channel 1 - 100Mhz
Team 2 - Channel 1 - 200Mhz
Team 3 - Channel 1 - 300Mhz
All teams - Channel 2 (set as alternate) - 400Mhz

So every team still uses Channel 1 for internal comms and if they need to talk to another team, they press T to transmit on the alternate channel (2 - 400Mhz) and the other team does the same to reply.

This obviously only works up to 5km, so if only two of the teams are that close, with the third further away, only teams 1 & 2 set and use the alternate channel and comms with team 3 go over the LR.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, if everyone's radio starts with each channel set to the same freq., e.g. Ch.1 - 100Mhz, Ch.2 - 200Mhz, Ch.3 - 300Mhz, then it will be easier to do what Alwarren suggested and just have everyone in Team 1/Alpha use Ch.1, everyone in Team 2/Bravo use Ch.2, etc and then use Ch.9 for the Alternate. If Ch.9 is also on the same freq. for everyone by default, we won't even need to change that but if not, it's still only one freq. to change, rather than two doing it my way.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 07-06-2014

(07-05-2014, 10:59 PM)doveman link Wrote:So every team still uses Channel 1 for internal comms and if they need to talk to another team, they press T to transmit on the alternate channel (2 - 400Mhz) and the other team does the same to reply.

Yeah but changing channels is much faster and easier than changing frequencies, and can be easily switched back. Once teams get merged again, everybody switches back to the same channel.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 07-06-2014

(07-06-2014, 12:34 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:Yeah but changing channels is much faster and easier than changing frequencies, and can be easily switched back. Once teams get merged again, everybody switches back to the same channel.

Damn, sniped whilst I was typing but yeah, I see your method makes more sense now Smile

If we agree a standard freq. to set Ch.9 to (assuming that it might not always be set the same for every team by default), then all the team leaders can set to that (and set it as the Alternate channel) at the start of each mission, to make sure we can communicate between teams easily. Then if the team leader gets killed, rather than the person taking over having to search for his body and take the LR, he can just check his Ch.9 is set to that freq, make it the Alternate channel and he'll have comms with the other teams.

Of course, there might be some missions where the teams are far apart and then he'll still need to try and retrieve the LR.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 07-06-2014

(07-06-2014, 12:38 AM)doveman link Wrote:Of course, there might be some missions where the teams are far apart and then he'll still need to try and retrieve the LR.

Speaking of which, tuning your rifleman radio to the same frequency as the long range radio allows you to hear the long range radio as a normal rifleman.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 07-06-2014

(07-06-2014, 12:51 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:Speaking of which, tuning your rifleman radio to the same frequency as the long range radio allows you to hear the long range radio as a normal rifleman.

Ah, cool, that can save team leaders having to repeat everything and makes players aware of when there's LR traffic and they need to be quiet. By rifleman radio, do you mean the SR?

We could do the same for the SR Alternate and just have everyone set Ch.9 as their Alternate, as long as only the team leaders actually transmit on it. To have everyone able to hear SR, Alternate and LR comms all together though, I think they'd need two SR radios as each only has one main and one Alt channel.

There are pros and cons either way , so I guess we should decide a SOP and then make sure everyone knows what it is. What do people think?

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Phantom - 07-06-2014

Greenback Mountain

Pulled a Sander there Tongue nice long long mission. At least it was fun and not pointless walking to objective. AIs were chasing us across the entire map which made nice firefights and retreats. Stupid AIs shot our darter though... Despite the mission being long, it was fun since everywhere we went, we're being shot at.

Some vehicles would be nice to drive across though since we did walk a lot, although I find it easier evading on foot their vehicles unless driving away.

During retreat, I sometimes like to figure out which direction to go first just in case I accidentally retreat into enemy shots instead of away. As for ammo, I find it better retreat first, get ammo later if its too hot.

Sorry I forget to use the regular radio Alwarren when I'm moving.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 07-07-2014

(07-06-2014, 11:26 PM)Phantom link Wrote:Pulled a Sander there

Hehe, but I am not taking all the responsibility for the length of it. Much of that was cause by us backtracking a lot. I thought that in general, we could have been much more aggressive in this mission. Just as an example, in the beginning at the farmhouse, we retreated west all the way back to the road and then headed south. I feel we could have moved south immediately instead of circling the entirety of Green Mountain while it was still dark; that would have saved us quite a bit of time. Too often, we made 180 degree turns instead of 90-120 degrees. We need not have ended up in Pogorevka, way up north of our objective.

Generally, I felt that almost all leaders yesterday were a bit too evasive/play-it-safe. I don't mind playing it safe, but usually, I prefer a more direct approach. For example, in Sandbox' mission we went out of our way to avoid contact, not even knowing if there was anything to avoid. A bit of scouting would have been good, and then decide whether we want to go this way or that. After all, coming from the perceived side or rear of an objective isn't necessarily making it easier. Likewise, in Greenback Mountain we were retreating often without actually knowing how big the danger was.

In any case, I liked the way the mission played out (and this is coming from someone that is usually very anxious when his missions are played), maybe it was long but so was Hack&Blast, and we were almost constantly under fire. There was only one point were I felt the length, that was near the end once we left Pogorevka, and had to trek south, but then, as I said we could have bypassed Pogorevka to begin with by veering to the right instead of the left when leaving Green Mountain.

The only thing that I think was a wrong call was splitting up at the slope of Green Mountain. I was with Bravo, and we were pretty hard pressed and needed support, but none came.  We lost freeman that way, and nearly shot up all our ammo. We should have concentrated on regrouping first before tackling the outpost. I also think Phantom should have exerted a bit more control over the fire teams, but that opinion might be skewed because I didn't really hear what was said on LR all the time.

In any case, I will distribute a few vehicles here and there; a truck or a couple of Striders. I do feel however vehicles would probably only have shaved off about twenty minutes or so at the end, because during the rest of the time we were pretty much under fire Smile