Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Phantom - 06-27-2014

Wolfpack Day 4

Popping smoke wouldn't make the situation any better for me to go heal the downed guys from Alwarren teams. Well I was blown to bits by the Ifrit, I should've just stay where I was. Nevertheless, those 1 hour walk missions to get blown to bits are quite frustrating and 1 hour of walking without action is quite unnecessary.

I think the NVGoggles not being equipped so we had to manually do it is from old method to adding NVGs. Framework got issues.

Nevertheless, mission was way too long, unnecessarily long. I was getting tired of it too as I constantly check my watch. I left after I died to get some lunch, take a shower, then bike to school (since I had afternoon classes).

I think its time for me to make some quick action missions with action starts on start.... walking an hour is tedious.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - McGregor - 06-27-2014

Wolfpack Day 4

I think that the ratio of infantry / Ifrit GMGs was way off in this one. There were actually not that many guys running around. After we were murdered to hell by the two GMGs I spectated around and I could only see 3 or 4 infantry and millions of Ifrits and a bunch of choppers circling. I don't mind long missions but this one was long for the wrong reasons. The execration ETA was just ridiculous.
And yeah sorry for my stupid suggestion about the smoke Phantom. We should have crawled to you instead

Chesty Puller 04: Clearing

This one started of nice and simple. Clearing the compound was fun. I was surprised when we got the orders to continue and go capture the guy, nice touch. Maybe the drive over there was a bit long, and in retrospect maybe the armed vehicles were a bit OP. We could have taken that town with just a sniper team up on the hill and the rest of us moving trough town. You seemed very comfortable leading 3lackrose, I thought you did a great job
Also it may have been me that murdered Alias. He appeared behind a wall way ahead of us almost in the town and I shot. Sorry about that :/

Re: The Debriefing Thread - alias - 06-27-2014

Wolfpack Day 4

OMG, man... i appreciate this guys' effort, but come on... is a game not real life, we don't need to spend a week on a mission.

(06-27-2014, 01:46 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:Chesty Puller 04: Clearing

Good work leading this one, Blackrose. A good Bardosy mission, although I found the distance between the two targets, again, way too far. At least we had vehicles, but there was nothing in between, I seriously wonder why people insist on making missions were you have to bridge huge distances without any merit to it. Once into the action, things were good, although I still don't know for sure what killed me.

When we played this on our server we spent more time on the main road and we encountered 50 cal. off-road patrols, car traps or IED cuz we lost a vehicle in the process.
Anyways, bardosy makes good missions and this one makes sense in his series.
As AL said, at least we had a car. Same mission in Wolfpack would've have made us walk the whole distance.  :o

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 06-27-2014

(06-27-2014, 04:09 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Popping smoke wouldn't make the situation any better for me to go heal the downed guys from Alwarren teams.

All vehicles in Arma 3 have thermals, so smoke doesn't do anything. Which is another reason why I miss Humvees and the run-of-the-mill UAZ/Pk - all that high-tech makes an infantrymen cannon fodder.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 06-27-2014

Can thermals actually see through smoke?  In my experience smoke still (for some reason) obscures thermals.  Maybe it doesn't for the AI?

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 06-28-2014

(06-27-2014, 11:42 PM)MavericK link Wrote:Can thermals actually see through smoke?  In my experience smoke still (for some reason) obscures thermals.  Maybe it doesn't for the AI?

AFAIR thermals go though smoke. I'll have to check. They surely did work like that in Arma 2, one of the tutorials had a scenario for that.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 06-28-2014

In A3, thermals are IIRC blocked by smoke

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 06-28-2014

(06-28-2014, 07:48 PM)Varanon link Wrote:In A3, thermals are IIRC blocked by smoke

Seriously? I know there is specific IR smoke that is pretty heavy and obscures against Thermals, but it disperses quickly, and you should be able to see through smoke with thermals Sad

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 06-29-2014

Yeah, definitely obscured by smoke.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/559885232891965981/75EBC5ED5C208A2D1EA36C6ADEB0612CA816C4A0/

I mean, you can *kind of* see through it because they glow as opposed to normal vision, but realistically if the smoke was completely obscuring them you wouldn't see anything at all.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 06-30-2014

Good games tonight, was a really enjoyable evening. Writing this immediately so I can at least remember half of the missions we played

Road not Taken
Something is fubar with the damage, the chopper should have been dead with a single hit - it might not go all fireball, but at least one of the rotors should be down. Same with the tank that took two RPG-42 shots from point blank in the rear, and several titans... good thing it self-distructed by flipping over. Too bad that Oulawz seems to have been underneath it.

I was surprised by how nice the gunship worked out. Getting chased by it through the valley was pants-pissing exciting Smile

I'll have to find a solution for the guys stuck in the rock though -_-

On word about the leadership, Freeman I think you need to be heard more often, and be a bit more decisive. You always have a pretty good tactical insight on the situation, but you need to order more, and by ordering I don't mean only giving commands, but also arranging your men. For example, make up a marching order ("Alpha 100 meters on point, Bravo 100 Meters behind command") to make more effective use of fireteams.

Narrow Pass

Bardosy at his best. I really liked this mission, it had everything you'd expect... good pacing, varied location, hardly any downtime. Easily the best of the campaign so far.

Operation Koslik (? The one by Etzu I mean)

Very nice mission, including some hot chopper-on-iffrit action Smile The plane strafing runs were cool, too bad the plane murdered the shit out of me on one such passes.

Steel Baby

We had a few problems with AI not listening to a commander, and generally getting our AI sorted. It might be a good idea to mark the roles on the slot screen ("Tank 1 Driver", "Tank 1 Gunner" etc). I like the mission,, finally some tank action, too bad we all got brutally slaughtered.

Here my memory gets hazy... I'll add to the post when I remember the missions we played Smile

Re: The Debriefing Thread - freeman - 06-30-2014

Road not Taken

Cool mission and hard ...like "everything was against us" , or "COME OOON !!!" type of mission. If you thought you were in a bad situation, something worse would come Smile .

We had narrowly escaped the chopper, when we had to take over the small base just so we can kill the damn chopper . It was like "Lone survivor" + enemy chopper . But still enjoyable cause we made it  8)  . I'm curious of the feedback of others when you release the mission to the masses.

About leading: I will try that. I do some arranging of units when stationary for angle covering, but that happens anyway or should happen on the fly with every Squads( through team leaders) or individuals without orders. Rule?

For when we are on the move, i think i need a better key remap for the talk buttons, so it doesn't feel to clunky to move and speak.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 07-01-2014

Road not Taken
Great mission indeed. Good leading Freeman! A word about suppressors. Engaging with suppressors is wise when there is a chance to kill all the enemy team within a short period of time. In our first engagement we had that opportunity. We could have take them all out rather silently. However, We engaged with loud weapons and summoned all the enemy teams on us and started to have a prolonged shootout. Remember that using ASR AI means that AI will call for reinforcements if not taken out quickly.
What our conclusion about the resistance of the vehicles armor? Was that the mission or the game? I don't remember we had the same issue in the other missions. In Operation Kinetic I remember an Ifrit completely blown up from one hit so maybe it was the mission?

Operation Kinetic
Well I loved that mission. What made it good was the surprise I felt when that fighter strafed us and the loads of infantry that attacked us. It almost felt like a planned ambush! Which was great. The house to house fighting was intense. At one point I tried to regroup with Bravo. I was alone and ran between the walls. I heard Freeman talking and I entered a house that I was certain had Bravo in it, just to find three or so CSAT infantry inside. Luckily I surprised them too and managed to take them out. Awesome mission Etzu, looking forward to more from you!
I don't know what you had planned for the rest of the mission, but I'm not sure those pilots had anything do do had they survived. Maybe add two AI to man the door guns of the ghosthawk and change the LB to the armed type? Would be cool!

Guys, if your leader gets killed, your priority is to get his radio. It doesn't necessary mean that you take the lead, god forbid, although it will be nice to hear something in the lines of "Alpha this is Bravo. Sithis is dead, this is X, i'm taking command". The complete lost of communication when the leader dies turns a lot of our missions to a bloody mess. I literally had to fight my way to Bravo just to have a chance to regroup with them, instead of one of them just picking the radio and report their status. It's rather ridiculous, don't you think?

Narrow Pass
Great mission. Just watch the video! Smile I think all performed admirably in this mission. Great job guys.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 07-01-2014

(07-01-2014, 11:45 AM)Variable link Wrote:What our conclusion about the resistance of the vehicles armor? Was that the mission or the game? I don't remember we had the same issue in the other missions. In Operation Kinetic I remember an Ifrit completely blown up from one hit so maybe it was the mission?

Don't think it was the mission, there is nothing in it that could do it. I have no idea what specifically triggered this behavior. When I tested the mission, the chopper went down after the first hit, which admittedly took a while because these damn flares are just too effective and the chopper always reacts in time.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 07-02-2014

Interesting conversation with bardosy about his great "Narrow Pass" mission, with some debriefing value. Read from this post onwards.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 07-02-2014

(06-27-2014, 04:09 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Popping smoke wouldn't make the situation any better for me to go heal the downed guys from Alwarren teams.
(06-27-2014, 10:46 AM)McGregor link Wrote:And yeah sorry for my stupid suggestion about the smoke Phantom. We should have crawled to you instead
See PoorOldSpike's smoke test. I was glad to find out that AI vision IS blocked by smoke! Smile
Just note that if the AI sees you moving into the smoke, it will predict your location and fire at it, just as humans would do. maybe that's what happened to you in Wolfpack Day 4.