Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 06-17-2014

On Flycatcher I was impressed at how many guys we actually took out in Alpha with just a few of us.  Actually almost cleared it when that APC snuck up (I was a split second from firing on it with an RPG when it shot me in the face, peeking up above the reeds  >Sad )

Re: The Debriefing Thread - alias - 06-20-2014

Pandora's Dawn

Impressive atmosphere, very tense and dangerous, great job FHQ! I like the load out, the location, the feeling.
Too bad the FPS drop is making the mission lag and impossible to record at some points, it's such a nice looking mission. I'm looking forward to play this again after the update.

Wolfpack day 3

As AL said, was an over-engineered mission, fancy loading and initialization system... too bad after that was more like a running simulator. 
Submarine insertion could have been scripted as well, didn't make any difference really, only caused issues with gear and radio.
IMO if you have a fixed RV point and you don't let the player choose insertion at least make it count. In our case was only something to put on the map. Missile strike didn't work. Took ages to rearm and get to objectives which is understandable since we were so many. End mission trigger didn't work, we never got the exfil info.

However all teams did a good job, we destroyed all objectives, many thanks to squad leaders for the help and all players for support.

Road not taken

Cool insertion, and again great atmosphere. Nice start. Too bad we didn't play it. I'm looking forward to do this again after update.

Line of fire

Nice mission, some scripted events didn't quite fit, but overall nice settings. I think this mission is too easy for so many players.
Is very difficult to simulate a large scale attack in ARMA, the engine is so demanding. In order to make this mission better the only way is to go up with the numbers of enemies and the type of vehicles they use which is undoable in ARMA without breaking the immersion and/or our computers. Maybe a run for your life scenario would bring more to the mission after that beach assault.
The enemy assault felt a bit insulated for me, the lack of danger was compensated by the scripted events which was an interesting approach.
The end was a bit confusing, MHQ wasn't marked on the map but i think is the big metal building known as barracks. I was hiding in it when the bombardment started, but i left when building started to take damage, the building resisted until the end tho.
When we played this mission on VforVictory server we just moved away from frontline in vehicles and that triggered the end somehow, seems that all we need to do is survive the bombing.
This is a mission i'd play once maybe twice, it gets to repetitive to be a re-playable map. This is a good mission for beginners tho.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 06-20-2014

(06-20-2014, 12:09 PM)alias link Wrote:Is very difficult to simulate a large scale attack in ARMA, the engine is so demanding. In order to make this mission better the only way is to go up with the numbers of enemies and the type of vehicles they use which is undoable in ARMA without breaking the immersion and/or our computers. Maybe a run for your life scenario would bring more to the mission after that beach assault.

I don't pretend to know much about the ARMA engine but couldn't ALIVE help out here, by only activating the enemies that we're near? Obviously, if we're split up into teams in different areas, it might have to activate more enemies than if we're all together but even so, it will still probably reduce the number of AI it has to process, which seems to be the main problem the engine has.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - freeman - 06-20-2014

On the first mission where we had to conquer and hold a town I want to praise Alwarren(?) for the good programming of the mission because for me it ran very good(~30 average i estimate) ,  with my usual spikes from time to time , which i now am more sure its because of my older video card, an ati 4850 with only 512MB Ram.
The new cpu did most of the work :p

The mission had a small town also and it still worked nice.

But Arma is a strange beast, as for some, this mission had low fps.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 06-20-2014

[quote='freeman link' dateline='1403281395']
On the first mission where we had to conquer and hold a town I want to praise Alwarren(?)]/quote]

Thanks Smile

Quote:But Arma is a strange beast, as for some, this mission had low fps.

Cleaning out the corpses from time to time makes a huge difference. I'm glad it came out playable, there were around 200 AI on the map and Arma 3 has its problems with that number.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 06-21-2014

Pandora's Dawn
Great mission! Was a good mission to start the night with, sure had my Arma dose with it, which is not trivial after so many missed nights. Freeman thanks for taking the lead, at the time I thought we shouldn't have taken our stand right in the middle of the town but your decision proved to be correct. We were able to engage the vehicles with Titan fire from almost a safe distance and finish off the infantry. I would just suggest to make sure that as a leader, you are heard at more often, there were some (not many) "ok what now?" moments.

Wolfpack Day 3
Thanks Alias for taking the lead! Always great to see new and good leaders emerging on coop nights.
I was leading Alpha 2. I wonder, I thought you are sending us on a flank position to assault the comms tower while Alpha 3 is engaging it from the east (we were in a great position to do so). Or have I misunderstood your orders?

Line of Fire
It's good to have some more relaxed missions like this one, I liked it. I think everyone did really good as well. However, I do think we could have used that mortar a bit earlier, made things a bit more easy (maybe too easy though). Someone told me about it at the beginning but I simply forgot until we have beaten the bulk of the attack.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - alias - 06-21-2014

(06-21-2014, 12:07 AM)Variable link Wrote:Wolfpack Day 3
I wonder, I thought you are sending us on a flank position to assault the comms tower while Alpha 3 is engaging it from the east (we were in a great position to do so). Or have I misunderstood your orders?

The plan was to send Alpha 2 towards power plant once that A1 and A3 will start drawing attention so you don't shot in the back from hill. Initially A3 was to cover our east and maybe push towards power plant from that direction i was expecting more enemies but wasn't the case so they were free to flank radio tower as well.

Thanks for having me, i'll do better next time. FHQ drawing tool is very useful and we should use more.
Q: Once you draw a line can it be deleted later?

Re: The Debriefing Thread - 3lackrose - 06-23-2014

Stop That Train
Nice perform during the mission, i had some problems tracking some radio conversations as i couldn't hear the orders given to the others (however sometimes i could hear him so maybe it was either intended or a channel issue) but luckily i stayed most of time before Misha (which was in charge of leading) so i used his direct voice to keep up with the situation. The mission plot seemed to be interesting even tho i should have payed more attention to the scripted conversations.

After clearing what seemed to be an insurgent camp and destroyed the cache, we got tasked for extraction, but i lost connection for a few minutes and when i came back in the situation was changed suddendly there was enemy CSAT flowing all around the map (which wasn't supposed to be present in the territory previously).

After that point i started losing fps and through the following phases i dropped to a constant 5 fps so i was pretty useless.

Meanwhile our extraction point got moved and Misha tried to guide us there using a stealth approach. We did well overall but enemy presence was quite dense and we got spotted in open terrain, very bad zone. Our teams reacted very well in my opinion, our AT capabilities has been used at their best against armor that deserved special attention, and the fight lasted for some time. However in the very end being in an open field we didn't have places to retreat and we ran out of AT.

During the fight i was trying to stay alive and heal whoever was injured, but the low fps were giving me a really hard time in doing anything. During one of those moments, i saw Alwarren downed and a friendly healing him. I tried to throw a smoke grenade to cover them (previously during the mission i had used them so i thought it was still equipped)  but instead i threw a grenade, which luckily was a bit far ahead from his current position. Ironically, when he got patched up he sprinted directly toward it and got blowed up again (sorry!), i tried to warn the "frag out" but i wasn't sure if with my current fps my nearby friendlies could hear me.

This accident happened due to not having the hud showing me what grenade was equipped, and me not checking it before throwing (to check you could use F to switch fire mode, it opens up top right hud).
On the other hand after this event i'm starting to think that an utility/defensive grenade shouldn't be binded to the same key as an offensive one. Scrolling grenades with ctrl+g isn't very fast / comfortable either, at least for me as it also happened the opposite in other occasions (mistakenly throwing a smoke instead of frag).

Luckily that accident didn't have a severe consequence and Alwarredn got patched up again. Anyway, despite the good fight our teams had, we were still sorrounded and outnumbered by a better armed enemy (armored and helis roaming). At that point it was a matter of time and we got slaughtered by flying grenades and other weapons fired at us. The fps didn't help much, but in that situation i don't think it would have made a significant difference since we were pinned.

We had the numbers to do it, but limited gear to stand against such a numerous enemy. That combined with being forced in a fight for our life in a bad spot ended our otherwise nicely performed mission.

One Hell Swoop
One of the coolest insertions i've played, interesting mission with replayability structure. Through Halo'ing you have the chance to put yourself in an advantage position or simply screw up badly from the very beginning.

We knew where we had to land, but things didn't go as planned and at the end the wind forced me and probably the others a few hundred of meters away from the objective, where i landed near Phantom. I tried to run to cover as soon as i touched ground but unluckily he got shot almost instantly. I was able to patch him up and take cover with him in a little abandoned house, our rest of team was scattered through the town.

Variable and Alwarren were apparently in 2 different positions, but we had anyway to try to reach the designed AT depot. Even though we managed to put ourselves in a relatively "safe" position, i've done the dumb mistake of face checking outside the house door and got shot, that way wasting the last bit of luck i was granted for the mission and and negating what could have turned into a "come back". Phantom tried to heal me but apparently i was bugged up.

Even if it lasted shortly, i really liked the type of situation this mission pulled us through. I had too much a "rush to the AT" mindset and that is proably what got me killed (didn't pay enough attention to the sorroundings). This mission teached me twice that i should be more careful and take steps more steadily.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 06-23-2014

Only stayed for 2 missions (because they both ended up being REALLY long) but I have to say they were both extremely fun.

Ghost Watch

Very good mission, nice amount of combat and good coordination between the teams, although once we were in the town we got downed quite a bit and couldn't make it to Alpha to revive them before they died.  Etzu did a very good job leading...nice to see some new leaders!  It's also nice to have a mission work correctly at all points, though I have to say it was a bit confusing after the first objective when we didn't receive the location of the final objective (since that was supposedly the intel we were gathering), and it didn't show up until after the second objective was ticked.

Stop That Train

Another great mission.  I felt like the time I was staring down a sniper scope waiting for orders was a bit long, but I don't know what the other teams were doing so maybe it took that long to get into position.  The assault on the training camp went flawlessly, but then of course once reinforcements came we were heavily outnumbered.  I'd love to know how many infantry/APCs/helicopters there were in that mission at once (I know Alwarren said they respawn endlessly), because I swear I could see at LEAST 6-8 helicopters in the air at once, and a dozen or more APCs roaming the area.  It was very intense and fun, though I don't feel like we had ultimately had much of a chance due to sheer enemy numbers and low amounts of AT ammo/launchers.  Still, a good mission and I wouldn't mind giving it another try.  I did start to get some pretty low framerates near the end, but it sounded like Alwarren is going to try to implement some corpse clearing to help alleviate that.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 06-23-2014

(06-23-2014, 04:22 AM)3lackrose link Wrote:Stop That Train
Nice AAR Blackrose, glad to have you on board. That mission was highly immersive for me, the way the situation deteriorates is stressing in a cool way. Looking forward to the next version, at one point it was indeed almost unplayable for me. I was shot by friendlies while returning to formation after taking some more Titans from a fallen enemy. However I take responsibility for that, I should have made sure everybody are aware that I was returning from a position the enemy was firing from a moment earlier.

(06-23-2014, 04:22 AM)3lackrose link Wrote:Wolfpack Day 4 (have to verify if this mission name is correct)

You mean "One Hell Swoop" from the HARDCORE pack Smile (Wolfpack day 4 didn't work). That IS a great mission, I hope Igor will release a fix to not being able to take the backpacks.

(06-23-2014, 04:22 AM)3lackrose link Wrote:
One of the coolest insertions i've played, interesting mission with replayability structure.

Yeah, the wind is strong, and makes everything much harder. I got shot while still airborne and bled my way to the AT stash. It seems like the key is to dive right above the intended RV point, and open the chute as low as possible to avoid enemy fire. I think the lowest you can get is opening the chute at about 70 meters. Need to test that hehe...

(06-23-2014, 04:22 AM)3lackrose link Wrote:
Even if it lasted shortly, i really liked the type of situation this mission pulled us through. I had too much a "rush to the AT" mindset and that is proably what got me killed (didn't pay enough attention to the sorroundings). This mission teached me twice that i should be more careful and take steps more steadily.

Yeah, I also moved too fast and got ourselves all killed. I just love how they climb stairs and shoot you through the windows.

(06-23-2014, 07:22 AM)MavericK link Wrote:
Ghost Watch

Very good mission, nice amount of combat and good coordination between the teams, although once we were in the town we got downed quite a bit and couldn't make it to Alpha to revive them before they died.  Etzu did a very good job leading...nice to see some new leaders!  It's also nice to have a mission work correctly at all points, though I have to say it was a bit confusing after the first objective when we didn't receive the location of the final objective (since that was supposedly the intel we were gathering), and it didn't show up until after the second objective was ticked.

Great job Etzu for leading the mission to completion once Alpha got chopped to pieces. If only we had waited a bit longer on that hill instead of joining the assault on the town, we would have taken those reinforcement trucks from afar with no problem. Freeman even had an AT that could have just blown them all up...

(06-23-2014, 07:22 AM)MavericK link Wrote:
Stop That Train
Another great mission.  I felt like the time I was staring down a sniper scope waiting for orders was a bit long, but I don't know what the other teams were doing so maybe it took that long to get into position.

It took us 50(!!!) minutes to flank around and attack the objective from the opposite side. Spending so much time to flank is just too much... It wasn't even better from the north side, too. From our initial vantage point we had elevation advantage, could see most of the objective and could have easily taken out those static MG gunners. In the balance between gameplay and survivability, it was clearly a case that gameplay was preferable (actually, maybe even survivability, moving from north made it harder for us to see the MG gunners clearly. The "other side" is not always the better one). My point is, in short, even if it was much more tactical to engage from the north, it can't justify spending a time that can be used for a full mission just to perform one maneuver, the fun factor must always be kept in mind.
Apart from that, good leading Misha. After the invasion, we moved in the right speed, didn't engage when we didn't have to and did engage when we were forced to. Looking forward to playing this again.

Werewolves
LOVED that mission. The rough navigation through the sea was highly immersive. Too bad I was shot by the first enemy we saw! Smile Looking forward to playing this one again, I'll remove the respawn.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 06-23-2014

(06-23-2014, 10:25 AM)Variable link Wrote:It took us 50(!!!) minutes to flank around and attack the objective from the opposite side. Spending so much time to flank is just too much... It wasn't even better from the north side, too. From our initial vantage point we had elevation advantage, could see most of the objective and could have easily taken out those static MG gunners. In the balance between gameplay and survivability, it was clearly a case that gameplay was preferable (actually, maybe even survivability, moving from north made it harder for us to see the MG gunners clearly. The "other side" is not always the better one). My point is, in short, even if it was much more tactical to engage from the north, it can't justify spending a time that can be used for a full mission just to perform one maneuver, the fun factor must always be kept in mind.
Apart from that, good leading Misha. After the invasion, we moved in the right speed, didn't engage when we didn't have to and did engage when we were forced to. Looking forward to playing this again.

It's always a weird thing to witness how people approach a mission. As a designer, you have a certain idea how you think people will approach it, and then you play it and it turns out completely different. I would have thought that the leader would leave Bravo team (with the sniper) back at the OP and do a frontal assault. There is a small valley in front that can cover the approach, and with silencers it is possible to take out the patrol around the camp quickly. The sniper can then kill the machine gunner, and move into the camp to kill the rest.
For the sake of gameplay I could add a UAV to make recon easier.

In any case, the camp is supposed to be easy to crack, and the real challenge of the mission is to return to your unit after the invasion starts. I wanted to have people piss their undies when the first choppers buzz around them, and I think it captured the feeling of an invasion quite nicely Smile

I should probably also try to voice-over the radio messages. If anybody is willing to lend me their voices for recording, I'll  add the lines to the thread here: http://ciahome.net/forum/index.php?topic=3178.0

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Misha - 06-23-2014

Stop That Train

Hey guys, I'm pretty satisfied by how you all played and for how long we maintained cohesion in the midst of war chaos towards the end of mission. That big column formation looked like a snake in the desert, such a view.

Sorry for the lost time at the first objective. If I knew that the camp was not our only objective I would have certainly made more hasty attack. But in this playthrough I wanted to check every position. We could have went straigh on with likely a successfull attack, but I wasn't shure are there enemies in the city, are there any more enemies behind the hills west and north, and so on. And I did not trust that with Arma 3 aiming and gun accuracy we could have get rid of the machinegunner in front. However, I hope that rest of the mission compensated for the lack of action during the fisrt 50 minutes. I think that in the end we were not far from the exfil area. It would be interesting to explore different routes next time.

Great mission, I would only decrease number of choppers and vehicles to some extent, or spread them more across the territory.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - 3lackrose - 06-27-2014

Clearing
First time leading on CiA Server and generally not my cup of tea when playing ArmA, but the role had to be taken so no complaints and let's do it. I tried to keep a safe and slow pace, trying to keep the team to a reasonably low risk (where possible) and exposure.

I'm aware i sometimes crossed open fields a bit unguarded or have not been properly in cover.

I should improve my way of communicating as sometimes i had some problems in finding the proper words/terms to broadcast the informations. I also lost track of some of the team compositions at certain moments as i think in one or two occasions i've seen people not belonging to our team following us.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the overall behavior of the partecipating players, most of times the teams took directions cover and terrain distribution without the need of telling or providing additional "management", and most of times i've seen people being exactly where i would otherwise wanted them to cover.

Things didn't go exactly as i was planning them mentally, but that's bound to happen as i usually tend to modify the plan / movement directly depending on field and situation.

Moving to the sniper OP revealed to be an overall reasonable decision (but i'm curios to hear feedback from the others about how things were performed and planned), originally i wanted only the sniper and another man as personal cover to maintain the sniper OP, and move the vehicles to another elevated zone to provide ranged fire from different directions, but in the end i decided to begin the engage all together from there, as i remember correctly we didn't have time to relocate the rest of vehicles due to being spotted.

Losing the vehicles was a low blow i was hoping to keep them providing superior fire cover for the infantry, but enemy AT had to be expected.

I should have maybe considered better how to position the vehicles and the order of which squad to drain fire and engage, to maintain the aggro on our vehicles low.

When venturing in town, at a certain point i decided the sniper team to regroup with us as i felt we were approaching areas not coverable by them. From there it was an hybrid of urban combat and hunt for the target, which took quite some time.

I think some people were getting bored but i can understand that (see slow pace above), ArmA teached me to take things cautiously (unless obviously it is a timed mission) or pay the consequences.

In the end, some problems in commanding AI or other things but mission accomplished!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 06-27-2014

Wolfpack Day 4

I died because of the fact that there were four Iffrits with GMG's in the base, two of which were manned and immediately murdered the shit out of me and most of my team. In General, there were way too many GMG's in this mission, given the fact we had ONE Titan.

The mission was also WAY too long. On top of the already long first part, it added another "go there" part, which apparently it wanted us to walk since all Iffrits (even the ones with people in them) magically locked themselves. There were two lonely CSAT soldiers at the target area. Then it added another "go there" in the form of a 2 km voyage to the extraction point, adding a completely pointless "ETA 10 Minutes" in which nothing happened. Bottom line, 2 hours 40 minutes, which IMO is one hour 40 minutes too long. Would have been a great mission if it had been an hour long, as it was, it was a drag.

At least this time we all had radios, but I still find the mission framework used completely over-engineered; just as an example, we had to manually equip the NVG's, and the briefing is only visible after the mission starts. Radio messages are displayed as hint boxes (thus not visible in the LOG), and tasks are not shown. All in all, this framework does everything different than normal mission making for no apparent reason. I don't think that is a good idea, it comes across confusing.

Chesty Puller 04: Clearing

Good work leading this one, Blackrose. A good Bardosy mission, although I found the distance between the two targets, again, way too far. At least we had vehicles, but there was nothing in between, I seriously wonder why people insist on making missions were you have to bridge huge distances without any merit to it. Once into the action, things were good, although I still don't know for sure what killed me.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - 3lackrose - 06-27-2014

(06-27-2014, 01:46 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:At least we had vehicles, but there was nothing in between

There were a couple of towns occupied by enemy rebels that were supposed to be avoided, which we did. Maybe i forgot to say it in the short on-field briefing, the path i decided to get to sniper OP was also affected by that.