Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 05-10-2014

(05-09-2014, 03:05 PM)McGregor link Wrote:Hello and thanks for yet an other great coop night. I felt most of the missions were very interesting even though we failed hard on some of them. I must apologize for some of my derpy moves like unintentionally submerging the sub and being unable to resurface again. I felt like such a tool. But hey, lesson learned and I wont do it again.

I was also thrown into the deep end taking over the lead of my group when Varanon had to go. I had no clue how to operate the long range radio. But now I do and I won't forget Smile Luckily it was only me and Hellhammer left in the group so we managed to find our way despite my inexperience.

One last thought. I have noticed that on some missions we have taken a little extra time during the briefing to go over a rough game plan (5-10min). Who does what, equipment to bring, designated roles etc. I find that this makes for a better experience in-game with less confusion and so on. I truly believe that spending a little extra time organizing before we hit that magic "Continue" button saves us a lot of time and headache in-game. Even if the result is utter mayhem and failure.

So after playing with you guys for just a few nights I must say that first impression is amazing and I'm looking forward to many more!
Thanks for joining McGregor, It's great you like it!
I didn't realize you started diving by accident, I thought that someone just didn't follow instructions and dived on his own. No problem if you made a mistake, we all do sometimes...
Good job taking over Bravo, I feared you guys will be left behind and overrun by the enemy. It was a good mission. Although we took out our target and extracted without casualties, I think I might have been a bit too careful. But then again, if we attacked pre-maturely we could have failed miserably. Attacking from the north exposed our target to Leechy's sniper rifle bullet and Sithis' HE RPG rocket, AND allowed us to bug out quicker, but it did made the mission a bit event-less than it could have been. All please comment on the mission page to encourage the author to release another volume for this mission pack! http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?177397-MP-CO14-Campaign-Wolfpack-Vol-1

One request - if the leader is about to leave, and there's no emergency, it's his responsibility to pass over command. This includes making sure someone picks up his radio and establishes comms with mission lead.

Another comment - let's rearm faster. I think time wasted on rearming could be deducted by about 70% now. We got punished in one of the missions for taking our time with the uniforms and weapons.

The diving missions were really good weren't they? Please thumb up and comment on Mateck's mission page:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=176608867&searchtext=assault+from+the+deep

Also thumbs up for Sandbox! That was a great mission you made (the one with the Spetsnaz). Can we hope for a Spetznaz mission series now from you? Wink

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 05-10-2014

(05-10-2014, 12:53 AM)Variable link Wrote:but it did made the mission a bit event-less than it could have been.

The mission could have used some more patrols. Even avoid patrols is good, but mostly it was walking.

(05-10-2014, 12:53 AM)Variable link Wrote:One request - if the leader is about to leave, and there's no emergency, it's his responsibility to pass over command. This includes making sure someone picks up his radio and establishes comms with mission lead.

Another comment - let's rearm faster. I think time wasted on rearming could be deducted by about 70% now. We got punished in one of the missions for taking our time with the uniforms and weapons.

Let me add another one:
Please stay in formation. Please do not run off on your own to do things on your own. More than once during the missions I had to ask a team member to get back into formation or not run ahead. If you think you could do something better, take the leader slot and you are free to do as you please, but if you aren't, listen to the instructions and follow them.

Quote:Also thumbs up for Sandbox! That was a great mission you made (the one with the Spetsnaz). Can we hope for a Spetznaz mission series now from you? Wink

Indeed! That was a great mission and lots of fun. Too bad the Marshall hung us like spaghetti from the trees Smile

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Rund - 05-12-2014

(05-05-2014, 03:50 PM)Varanon link Wrote:Maybe we could add it to our server ? It looks like an interesting tool, especially if we want to find out what we did wrong in terms of maneuvering etc..

I'll try to invest some time in this soon, and see if I can install it on the server. Then we need a way to transfer the recordings to our (or mine) webserver to view it, but that should not be a problem.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 05-12-2014

(05-12-2014, 08:32 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote:I'll try to invest some time in this soon, and see if I can install it on the server. Then we need a way to transfer the recordings to our (or mine) webserver to view it, but that should not be a problem.
Cool, just backup everything before you make any changes please.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Misha - 05-13-2014

Fast forward four months and I find:
- Arma 3 now performs much better in mp, at least for me
- lots of new faces ready for teamwork and that's nice
- 3 out of 4 times I died like a noob

Castle Wolfstein:

First, let me aplogize for taking some time to figure Task Force radio, turns out I have indeed forgoten some things after not playing for some time. And of course, I haven't been prepared for informational overflow so it must have been weirdly mixing up Striker and Stryker, not answering to some prompts but answering where nobody asked anything.

I didn't see and still don't how to approach objective. I though that pounding the village from afar will at least reduce the number of infantry inside of it to acceptible level to enter it, but they still kept coming from the castle, I guess. And unlike many other situations before, enemies were not keen to approach our positions going into the open and making themselves nice targets. They mostly remained in the village instead or were probably getting killed before they had chance to go out.

And I saw no particular terrain features that would provide better tactical approach, so instead I opted for going head on to the objective. Additinal factor for the decision was also that I wanted to make up for the lost time while regrouping and figuring out the radio.

It did not end so well, but at least we had cohesion till many died after attempting to enter the village. And I was down just as I popped into the village. Met 3-4 infantry in the street and you can't beat AI's reflexes.

Was planning to write about other missions as well, but it's getting late, for sure I don't wanna be sleepy for the coop tomorrow!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 05-13-2014

(05-13-2014, 05:05 AM)Misha link Wrote:Fast forward four months and I find:

Can only second that... performs better, lots of new faces, and I'm also dying like a noob every time.

Good to see you back in the saddle, Misha

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 05-13-2014

(05-13-2014, 05:05 AM)Misha link Wrote:Fast forward four months and I find:

Good to see you back Misha. I haven't even been away for four months and I still die like a noob 4 out of 4 times, so don't sweat it  ;D

Quote:Castle Wolfstein:

First, let me aplogize for taking some time to figure Task Force radio, turns out I have indeed forgoten some things after not playing for some time. And of course, I haven't been prepared for informational overflow so it must have been weirdly mixing up Striker and Stryker, not answering to some prompts but answering where nobody asked anything.

Don't worry, we've all had to learn how to use Task Force radio and we're still learning in fact. I only added to your confusion by referring to my team's callsign Striker in the Briefing, when it would have been much easier to ignore this and just call us Charlie, sorry.

Anyway, I thought you did fine leading and it's always nice when someone's brave enough to step up and try (takes the pressure off fraidy-cats like me!), so don't worry about not being 'perfect'.

Quote:I didn't see and still don't how to approach objective. I though that pounding the village from afar will at least reduce the number of infantry inside of it to acceptible level to enter it, but they still kept coming from the castle, I guess. And unlike many other situations before, enemies were not keen to approach our positions going into the open and making themselves nice targets. They mostly remained in the village instead or were probably getting killed before they had chance to go out.

Every time I've played this mission, if I survive long enough to make it to the outskirts of the village I then can't find a way to get near the AA (on the east side of the village, I've never approached the other one). My team were hanging back and covering Alpha and Bravo as they climbed the hill to the village and then we moved in, advancing up the hill towards the east side AA. Once we got to the top, I could faintly hear Variable and his squadmates talking nearby but I think the other teams had lost their LR by then as I couldn't raise anyone, other than the dismounted Stryker squad who were advancing towards the village.

Anyway, it didn't take long before half my squad were killed by fire, either from further in the village (I moved us 10m from the rocks to the sandbags but we immediately came under fire, including grenades, so I pulled us back pretty damn quick) or from behind us down the hill, I'm not sure which.

The two of us still alive then tried to sneak round the rocky east ledge but the vehicle was looking right at me when I stuck my head round the wall. We took a shot at it with an AA rocket (which was all we had but it might have done the trick) but it wasn't possible to line up a decent shot whilst staying out of the line of fire. After the first try, it was too risky to try again, so we went back round the other side (taking some fire from down the hill to the east I think), found a body with AT and then I got killed (by infantry I think) trying to pick that up!

Whether it would work any better trying to start from the west end of the village and sweeping east, I don't know.

I'm not sure why my team had two people with AA, as I thought the mission was all about destroying the enemy AA so that friendly aircraft could come in, so what were we supposed to use our AA against? Perhaps grenade launchers would have been more useful, so that we could have lobbed a load over the wall where the vehicle was and carpeted the village with them to thin out the enemy Wink

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 05-13-2014

Lost Squad
Well I'll just state the obvious. This mission was awesome. One of the most significant OFP/Arma experiences I ever had. Let me described how it was for me as the leader of the lost ground team:

We started on a valley, surrounded by hills. I tried to contact friendly forces but received no response. Trying to get a better signal (you gotta love TFA Radio) we climbed up the nearest hill. Having reached the peak, we saw that sea is to our west. We positioned in cover on the peak and searched for enemies when I heard some aerial chatter on the comms. After several attempt I managed to communicate with aerial team over a broken line that we are on the western coast. While I was trying to communicate with the helicopters, an enemy patrol was detected to our north west. We held fire, hoping they will overlook us, and then we detected an enemy team not farther than 200 meters from us. I don't remember if who opened fire first, but a fierce firefight ensued, and friendlies were getting hit. I deperately tried to message the choppers that we are under fire. We lit up the sky so we could see the attackers at the dark and hopefully get noticed by the friendly helicopters, and hit quite a few as they were rather in the open. However, it didn't took long for the battle to draw the western enemy team to our position. We were engaged from two flanks and the situation looked grim. While constantly firing flares, I had Alwarren on the radio sometimes, but it didn't seem like the choppers are close to find us. I decided we need to evacuate that hilltop. I stopped firing flares, covered the eastern part of the hill with smoke and we started to move down the hill towards the coastline. At least there we could not be surrounded from all sides...

Once all the wounded were taken care of, we turned off our flash-lights, and ran down the hill. The enemy stopped firing, hopefully they lost us! While moving down the hill and to the shoreline we lost contact again with the choppers. We positioned in an area with just two garbage dumps as cover. We split up in two, having team blue taking overwatch on the distant dump while I stayed with team red. Then, the absent of any team radios became apparent (great design decision for this mission I must say!). The only way I could communicated with team blue was running over to them in the open so I could shout my orders. That would have to do...

We looked around while trying to direct our choppers over to our positioned. The hill we evacuated was still visible and we saw the enemy searching it in the green light of our nightsticks that we left there. The choppers was still unheard. I replenished my stock of flares that got depleted during the hill battle when we detected an enemy search team moving towards the beach. We held fire hoping to get our choppers to help us before we engaged. Team blue was far away but held fire as well as expected. Finally, I was able to have solid comms with a Mohawk chopper! I tried to describe where we are, which wasn't much. All I could say was that we evacuated to the beach, and that the hill we evacuated has been captured by the enemy.

The enemy was getting closer and closer as the choppers approached our position, but we had to open fire. Team red opened fire, and team blue followed as they realized we are engaging. All we had to do was keep the enemy suppressed far enough and long enough for the choppers to get to our position, which seemed closer than ever. The enemy returned fire and we stuck to the little cover we had around us, over the gunfire we heard distant rotor sounds. People were getting hit and we had to bug out from that place, before other enemy search teams arrive. As the situation was getting desperate, I saw a volley of tracer fire from the sky, followed by a salvo of rockets, hitting at the center of the enemy formation, that was quite a view in quite a timing! We couldn't have survived without it. The Mowhawk was calling but couldn't spot our position so I started flaring up the sky. Finally I saw the big shadow of a transport helicopter, I popped orange smoke on our position and tried to direct the Mohawk to the beach, trying to calculate the opposite bearing from him to our position, while trying to return fire to the flashes I saw at the enemy position. Finally the chopper pilot announced that he can see us. I wasn't sure if it was our flares, our weapons flashes or the smoke but I could see the Mohawk starting to approach us sideways with its tailrotor towards the enemy. The enemy saw it as well and started to fire on it. Time to say goodbye to the beach. The chopper was hovering a meter above the water line, waiting for us to board. It won't last there for long. I ordered team red to lay down heavy suppressive fire as I sprinted towards the distant team blue yelling "board the chopper now!". They heard me, disengaged and moved towards the chopper. I was gratified to hear people relaying my orders to people that was farther away. Last man reported all team blue are onboard. I emptied my last magazine and ordered team red to board the chopper, hoping the large aircraft will be able to sustain the enemy hits. Once team red was in yelled "go! go! go!" and a sigh of relief was heard over the engines sounds as the chopper quickly picked up altitude and took us to safety, with all soldiers accounted for.

That was a hell of a ride.

Castle Wolfenstein
(05-13-2014, 05:05 AM)Misha link Wrote:I didn't see and still don't how to approach objective. I though that pounding the village from afar will at least reduce the number of infantry inside of it to acceptible level to enter it, but they still kept coming from the castle, I guess.
Welcome back Misha!
I think hat was a good call. In any case getting the APC closer would have meant certain death to it by enemy AT teams.

(05-13-2014, 05:05 AM)Misha link Wrote:And I saw no particular terrain features that would provide better tactical approach, so instead I opted for going head on to the objective. Additinal factor for the decision was also that I wanted to make up for the lost time while regrouping and figuring out the radio.

My team was taken out by crossfire of two enemy teams that were in the open to our right, away from the town or the castle. Maybe we should try to approach from the left. In any case, I think the teams should stick rather close to one another, providing mutual support. Getting separated and rushing the town means death in this one.

(05-13-2014, 01:08 PM)doveman link Wrote:
I'm not sure why my team had two people with AA, as I thought the mission was all about destroying the enemy AA so that friendly aircraft could come in, so what were we supposed to use our AA against? Perhaps grenade launchers would have been more useful, so that we could have lobbed a load over the wall where the vehicle was and carpeted the village with them to thin out the enemy Wink

We could use a sniper team (and or mortar? Classical choice under the terrain and enemy circumstances) and also some close range AT's (PCML or RPG). These Tigris AA tanks can be dealt with only from close range and the Titan AT is not good in close quarters.

Great mission nonetheless!

Five Barn Monte
I really tried to keep the APC alive and failed at that. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to do that better I'll be glad to hear them! Good job everybody on the infantry team! Special thank you to Leechyboy who always knew when to provide a laser range measurement to the enemy.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - UnNamedGER - 05-16-2014

As with the last times,the CoopNight was great again. Im not much of a writer but I'm going to give the Debrief a shot too  ;D.

Peninsula

Cant say much about this one since i got unlucky and was shot down by a manpad. Seemed nice though.

Operation Flycatcher

We were a little bit impatient here i think.  I was with lizard squad, we were to kill the APCs patrolling the area at the main road. therefore we set up an ambush position in a small compound SSE of the Hill.We didn't need to wait long. The First APC was killed without too many problems, it got a few shots off but didnt hit anyone. Then we waited, but exept for a short appearance of a speding APC more than 1K  away nothing happened in the next 10-15 minutes so a plan was made to attack the hill from both sides, lizard formed up and  started moving NE. I jokingly said to Sithis, that as soon as we cross the road the APC would show up. I was proven wrong by the APC arriving, still at high speed, before the first of us set a foot on the road. everyone hit the deck, the APC Fired a few bursts an sped off again. I took Command  and had Sithis, the only one responding, check for wounded and took the LRR to give a SitRep to the other squad. Unfortunately there was no revive script so everyone else was killed. Sithis took a Launcher and some rockets and we moved out to the eastern flank of the Hill, our task changed from attack to drawing enemy infantry to the east. Sithis fired his HE rocket at the camp from distance and we were able to see a few enemys moving out to investigate. Near a road at the foot of the hill Sithis and me were shot at and we tried to get to cover. While we were crawling for cover the APC Sped past us (probably barely not running over Sithis). Sithis got up and Fired an AT-Rocket at the APC destroying it. Unfortunately we didnt have time to celebrate as 2 seconds later a grenade explodet on his Position Killing him. I gave variable a SitRep telling him Sithis destroyed the second APC, that he was killed and that i was going to retreat a bit to try and loose the enemys hunting me. few moments later I was dead myself.

After that it was quite Intense watching the last guys almost making it to one of the Ifrits, it was just awesome.

As I said, i think we were impatient and should have tried to kill all of the APCs before attacking the hill. Also i think that our spacing was too tight when we moved out from our ambush position. it was appropiate for  moving through a forrest , but not so much for crossing an open field.

(i hope my english is not too bad and the shaking bus didn't screw this up too much)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 05-16-2014

(05-16-2014, 04:59 PM)UnNamedGER link Wrote:As I said, i think we were impatient and should have tried to kill all of the APCs before attacking the hill. Also i think that our spacing was too tight when we moved out from our ambush position. it was appropiate for  moving through a forrest , but not so much for crossing an open field.

I agree, the spacing was too tight, but then the APC had a grenade MG, and that means quick death even for troops that are spread out.

I don't think we were too impatient. There is never a good time to run over open terrain. We could have waited half an hour and still run into the same APC... you don't know when they pop up.

My mistake was that I moved with the whole team instead of doing a two-team bounding overwatch, each sub-team with active anti-tank capabilities. That way, once team would have been read to engage at any time...

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Bubba - 05-16-2014

(05-16-2014, 04:59 PM)UnNamedGER link Wrote:I jokingly said to Sithis, that as soon as we cross the road the APC would show up. I was proven wrong by the APC arriving, still at high speed, before the first of us set a foot on the road. everyone hit the deck, the APC Fired a few bursts an sped off again.

Hah! I said the exact same thing to Lego before we started moving for the hill! Something along the lines "As soon as me move the APCs will come and rape us out in the open"! And so we summoned the hell spewing monster to take us to a better, safer place.  ;D 
Of course it would have been a smarter choice to wait until all the APCs were dead, but already we waited quite a while for them. Comes round back to the never old discussion of balancing between fun and making sure the mission gets completed.
Fun night though. Nothing bad to say for either of the missions. Although, we could have tried to get a better picture of all the AA threats in the area, and maybe if the A-10s would have stayed higher and just kept the flares poppin', they might have been able to fly a little longer.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - alias - 05-20-2014

Operation Flycatcher

I'd like to play this again soon. I loved the hardcore factor, the chosen location and settings. Can we play this again? Pleaseeeee  :-*
It wasn't very clear for me that an infrit is our objective maybe i would've done it better at the end when i was the last man alive Smile
This mission felt right, i had the feeling i'm part of guerrilla and everything seems well balanced... overpowered enemy, crappy guns on our side, i wasted so much ammo  :o i think i fired 30 magazines or so until the end.

Peninsula

It felt like a pretty large operation, with CAS, no scopes, i had to rely on my tracers most of the time being very difficult to hit targets at 400-500 m. I also liked the approach the commander decided to have. In one word  I want to see more of that.

Wolf pack - DAY 02 - KAJMAN FIRE

I hope to play the rest of episodes soon cuz this one looked great despite that i didn't have a NV when i started, the moon was bright enough to see the surroundings, everything felt natural... civilian traffic, patrols. My only problem was that corpses disappeared too fast and that could be an immersion breaker, i prefer to see them unless the map gets too laggy.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 05-20-2014

(05-20-2014, 06:06 AM)alias link Wrote:Operation Flycatcher

I'd like to play this again soon. I loved the hardcore factor, the chosen location and settings. Can we play this again? Pleaseeeee  :-*
Don't worry, good missions will be played until they are completed. We must have played this one five times already Smile each attempt was bloody and cool.

(05-20-2014, 06:06 AM)alias link Wrote:It wasn't very clear for me that an infrit is our objective maybe i would've done it better at the end when i was the last man alive Smile
They APCs and the Ifrits are not objectives. I just wanted to take them out before we attack the hill simply because it was too risky to let them attack us from behind.

(05-20-2014, 06:06 AM)alias link Wrote:Wolf pack - DAY 02 - KAJMAN FIRE
I hope to play the rest of episodes soon cuz this one looked great despite that i didn't have a NV when i started.

I think all of us had NVGs in our backpacks.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 05-20-2014

ArmA2 night:

co06_rhs_fortless

We started good, but attacked the castle too soon. We need to draw them out more, watched as the bird and the castle is pretty fortified.

co08_cwr2_oil_war

Completed it, woo! And without casualties as well, I believe my awesome RPG shot saved the day.  ;D

co08_cwr2_froward_echelon

Went well, but before we could set up any defences we had tanks rolling in. I barely got the T55 in position when the damn T80 rushed in and killed me. Ah Sander and his lightning fast counterattacks (that only happen once the last guy drops dead).

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Phantom - 05-26-2014

Good missions today for Arma 3:

Pandora Box
- Not much action for commanding team, but doing the overwatch and giving orders plus Fap sniping from hill position was pretty nice. Nice shot with the A10 on the trucks.

Green River
- Nice execution between the teams and little birds. I don't know if there were any casualties or not but nice quick action.

Operation Morning Glory
- Doesn't sound like difficulty extreme as the author suggest it I guess. Lots of arsenal of armor to choose from. It seems like everything been going pretty well. I don't know what happen after I left for lunch though but the armor sure makes the job easier.