Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 05-02-2014

Hah, that reminds me of the dynamic maps for Minecraft.  Pretty cool.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Rund - 05-04-2014

I tried that script a while ago, and it works pretty nice, but then the web interface was not done yet.

I just found they released it: https://code.google.com/p/axy-aar/wiki/MassAAR_intro

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167387-Automated-After-Action-Report-Generator/page5

It can be run by either the server or a client, and the web page should be failty simple

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 05-05-2014

Lost Squad

I actually liked that mission, too bad there were no enemies. Still, since I didn't know this while we were playing, it was still pretty exciting.

Reinforcing Alpha squad

Not much to say about that one. First time we took it too slow I guess, but then, it's rare that kicking in the door and going in guns blazing works.

Mountain Lion

There is a couple of things I strongly dislike about this mission. For one thing, special forces that are worse equipped than the Guerrillas. Not even binocs, no GPS, and the wind was so strong that I almost couldn't go south. And the rain...  There was also an unnatural amount of enemies, it had the feeling of us against the world and we won... When I got shot, I looked at it from the top, and the amount of corpses lying around was probably on par with an average "Song of Fire and Ice" book battle scene.

Clear Gori

I was lucky I had my cell phone near so I could continue reading an e-book, because frankly this mission was boring as hell. The premise was fine, I just think that
1) We should have left the teams as they were, there was no point in mixing
2) In a combat situation with an APC, the infantry should be out. We were hit by RPG fire several times, that is what infantry normally should shield the APC against. But the mission didn't really allow this, and so it was mostly sitting around in the APC and admiring the interiors.

Extreme Measures

I very much like the premise of this mission, but due to the pea shooters and no first aid kits at all, the first time you are injured it is basically game over. We had two guys that could only walk, no means to fix it. This makes any mission just a drag (literally). A few first aid kits would be welcome, and a few more mags for the the KRISS, I had three mags and that is never enough.

Might be just me, but the bottom line is I thought that mission wise it was a pretty disappointing evening.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 05-05-2014

Lost Squad

Has the potential to be awesome, just needs JIP fixes and...enemies.  ;D  Great concept for a mission though, and it really showcased the lighting engine nicely (full moon, no clouds).

Reinforcing Alpha Squad

After two of our team got killed it felt pretty disjointed...Bravo showed up and we completed the mission, but I'm not sure I really did much of anything other than crouching behind walls most of the time.

Mountain Lion

Much better execution than when we tried it before, but again in this one I felt like I was tagging along most of the time trying not to get shot/killed.  I guess that comes with the territory of medic, but after everyone else on my team was killed it was a bit hard to see/keep up with the other team.  Related to that, the rain in NVGs is absurd...BIS needs to fix that sooner rather than later.  I am amazed it was not fixed in the latest stable patch...thought it had been in a dev build awhile back but I guess not.

Clear Gori

I had a decent time but I think that's because as the APC gunner I was the one getting all the action.  I think I ended up killing like 95% of the enemies in the mission with thermal optics from 500-1000 meters.  I can see how it would have been really boring for the other APC occupants, and possibly even the ground team as the mission basically ended as soon as they first made it into the compound.

Extreme Measures

Looked fun (although fairly long, so for the last mission of the evening/afternoon it might not have been the best), but without medkits or a medic it ended pretty badly for the main assault team.  Really no reason why they shouldn't have at least had some medkits available from the start of the mission.  Also, we started so far away from the objectives on foot it felt long for no reason.  Giving the main assault team SMGs on that terrain was pretty bad, too.

Overall feeling was, good at the beginning but slowly started to devolve in terms of missions...not really anyone's fault, though.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 05-05-2014

Lost Squad
Awesome mission. And regarding your comment, Outlawz, even in its current state it's WAAAAY better than most of you know who's missions. Really looking forward to playing this under fire.

Reinforcing Alpha Squad
Thanks Outlawz for fixing this mission. You really hit the nail on the head with setting the initial positioning of Bravo, the timing is perfect. First attempt (leading Alpha) was rather hectic, we were gradually taking casualties, and me and McGregor ended up in the chappel getting chopped to pieces by bullets that pierced the walls. It was an intense combat, I loved it. Being aware of how fast we need to act, as Bravo lead, we just took the direct route in. It was clear we need to hurry when Alpha lead stopped responding on the radio. I died during the knife fight at the graveyard, but I liked the shootout, it was cool. We practically had to fight for our own lives before getting there, the enemy has detected us and we were engaged in the town's streets. I died rushing inside the perimeter. Cool mission! I really enjoyed it in both attempts.

Mountain Lion
Another one I enjoyed. We (guerrillas team) managed to get to the assembly point undetected, and proceeded to flank the castle. Seeing the Specops lasers, we become aware of their position and approached closer. We planned to set AT mines on the road when the Marid came so we took it out with a PCML shot, and bugged out. When approaching the castle we suddenly saw a group of infantry just standing there, luckily with their backs on us. We got set, threw hand grenades and shot the survivors. They managed to shoot back but we were too close and in too good position for them to cause any damage. Just as we finished them off, reinforcements that probably responded to our hit on their Marid attacked our team blue, that remained next to the statue on overwatch. I cursed myself for engaging the Marid prematurely, should have let it go and have rund plant an AT mine on the crossroads, would have bought us some time and would not have detected our position (I think).

Then we proceeded to the town and the firefighs were just awesome! Too bad I disconnected and couldn't respawn to my AI. Maverick good job as medic, you kept both teams going. Good job to everyone at the town, I doubted we can take them but you did it! Smile

Clear Gori
Sorry Sithis if I didn't reply several times, I think I fell asleep in between your movement orders hehe. It's not a well designed mission, but Sithis did a good job handling the APC as commander, you all need to blame him for taking all the kills Tongue and hey, I took out the attacking tank! As driver, almost forgot I carry the Titan.

Extreme Measures
I don't share your guys' gripe with the weapons. I like it when you start a mission under-armed, it gives some new challenges and fresh experiences, having the exact weapon for each situation can get boring. Also, if you didn't have the right weapon for the job you shouldn't have engaged. After all, that patrol was detected and could have been engaged solely by the sniper team. Your sub-machine guns were probably for you to clear the weapon depot. Not being able to walk was also not a reason to stop the mission, as long as one of you could walk, he could have moved to the enemy corpses, pack up with FAKs and get back to fix you. The sniper team could have helped in that as well.
I'll direct SPhoenix, the maker, over here, but I do object to the recommendation to put any change the weapons, because the current setup forces cooperation and planning. The mission could use Psycho's revive script.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Sithis - 05-05-2014

Lost Squad

A little excercise to get warmed up. Nothing wrong with that.

Reinforcing Alpha Squad

I like the concept, but I think it would be great if Alpha didnt start right next to the enemy and got a few seconds to orient itself.

Mountain Lion

Like Alwarren already said their is a lot wrong with the premise of the mission.

Clear Gori

My first time leading something with TFR so sorry that it was a bit chaotic at the start. I know I made it boring as hell for the Infantry in the back. Im sorry about that, but I wanted to stay mobile for the first part of the mission and thats hard to do with dismounted units and because of several problems involving false information from the other infantry squad it took us longer than planned to reach the dismount point.

Extreme Measures

Im not a big fan of missions that require you to walk 20km espacially without decent weapons and espacially espacially at mid day. This mission at night, closer to the target might actually have been pretty cool.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Rund - 05-05-2014

Lost Squad
As I said, this is the mission  I always wanted to make (maybe even more difficult in terms of navigation).  Such missions really justify the detailed map, searching for road signs is not something you do often in games Smile
While we where expecting enemies it was still pretty intense.

Reinforcing Alpha Squad
Leading bravo, I took the safe route, as I expected some resistance on the main road. Took us too long, and the mission ended, just when we entered the town. It also reminds me that I have no clue about the A3 maps and navigation is harder that way.
The next round I died while getting stuck in a grave, 30 sec into the mission. How ironic.

Mountain Lion
The alternative take on this mission worked pretty well, but we could have been more cautious/awaiting and wait to spot the Marid patrol route before engaging it. Team red  in variables team (covering the town/second objective) had some incoming infantry, but we didn't engage them. 2 minutes later they surprised us with a close engagement, but we managed to suppress them. Next time we'd better kill known enemies that are coming into our backs  ;D
But it worked, up to the point where we came together to fight near the graveyard. I lost track of the enemies, and when regrouping, I got shot from an unexpected angle.

(05-05-2014, 09:42 AM)Variable link Wrote:[/b]I don't share your guys' gripe with the weapons. I like it when you start a mission under-armed, it gives some new challenges and fresh experiences, having the exact weapon for each situation can get boring.

True, but there is a difference between under-armed and completely useless. We could have been unarmed for all intents and purpose. This was broad daylight, on mostly empty terrain, I was surprised we weren't spotted earlier. A challenge is all nice, but this wasn't a challenge, it was a gamble. Roll a die to determine whether you live or die.

Quote:Also, if you didn't have the right weapon for the job you shouldn't have engaged. After all, that patrol was detected and could have been engaged solely by the sniper team.

We didn't engage; we were engaged. And I radioed Maverick and he said that you had moved beyond the mountain range and were out of sight, so I assumed we were alone against those guys. They engaged us with aimed grenade launcher shots. We didn't have much of a chance.

Quote:Your sub-machine guns were probably for you to clear the weapon depot.

I don't even think there was anyone at the weapons depot.

Quote:Not being able to walk was also not a reason to stop the mission, as long as one of you could walk, he could have moved to the enemy corpses, pack up with FAKs and get back to fix you. The sniper team could have helped in that as well.

It surely was reason enough for me. It was late. I didn't feel like crawling through the landscape for an hour, so I gave up my mags and intended to blow myself up with a grenade. Plus, the weapons cache moved. If it were at its original position, we would have been even further away and would have had even less chance.

Quote:I'll direct SPhoenix, the maker, over here, but I do object to the recommendation to put any change the weapons, because the current setup forces cooperation and planning.

TBH, there isn't enough information to do any planning. This was just some random patrol. I lost sight of them so I tried to move out of the open were we had been into cover, but they apparently spotted me ( I still wonder how) and opened fire. No amount of planning would cover that. If at all, the mistake was to split up the teams. But out in the open, with no weapon to speak of, the four man team is useless.

I also don't remember the background precisely but as with Mountain Lion, I always find underpowered spec-ops teams fishy. At least one of the team should have a decent weapon, otherwise this is going to be frustrating as hell. Open terrain broad sunlight, and the AI's magic spotting abilities add to that.

Quote:The mission could use Psycho's revive script.

It does already.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 05-05-2014

(05-04-2014, 01:51 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote:I tried that script a while ago, and it works pretty nice, but then the web interface was not done yet.

I just found they released it: https://code.google.com/p/axy-aar/wiki/MassAAR_intro

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167387-Automated-After-Action-Report-Generator/page5

It can be run by either the server or a client, and the web page should be failty simple

Maybe we could add it to our server ? It looks like an interesting tool, especially if we want to find out what we did wrong in terms of maneuvering etc..

Re: The Debriefing Thread - SPhoenix - 05-05-2014

Hey guys,

Let me answer some of the concerns you guys have brought up with regard to the mission Extreme Measures.

1- Weapons
The choice of SMGs was deliberate, with long-range weapons given to the 2-man CIA team.  That being said, I do realize that there is no middle ground for engagements at medium range and it would be severely lacking indeed.
I'll make sure to give the team leader something like a MXC and switch it up a little, perhaps give the medic something with a little more oomph. The key is to be undergunned until you get to the weapons crate. But as Alwarren pointed out and it's very true, there is a gap between being underpowered and useless.

2- Medkits & FAKs
Yup, that's my bad. I mean there's a guy literally called Medical Sergeant. He should have had a medkit and the rest of you 1 FAK each. Duh.

3- Walking distances and daylight
I realize some of you think you have miles to cover but this is Stratis. Each objective is within 15-20 minutes of the other to keep the rhythm going and you need to not run. I don't want to ruin the fun but basically, no valley between the starting point and the exfil is safe.
As for the daylight, the mission allows for you to change the time and weather before mission start. I'll change the default to dusk as it's best played around that time.

4- Misc
Psycho's revive script has been included. Varanon's FHQ Task Tracker as well but I've ran into some issues and have reached out to him for ideas. It should all be working very soon.

I thank you all very much for trying out the mission and I'll come back with an updated version that should hopefully make you guys a lot happier for next time. Keep in mind however that it is a long mission (times out at 2 hours and that should cut it close) and is probably not suited for the last mission of the evening... which is when you guys are just 6.

And thank you all for the criticism! As a mission maker nothing is worth more than people telling me what needs to be improved Smile

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 05-05-2014

Thanks for the mission and replies SPheonix!  I look forward to trying it again with the updates.

I will say that if we play the mission at dusk and it becomes night, it might make the sniper team a bit ineffective because I don't think the scope I had was a NVG scope.  Maybe make that an option as well for night missions?  Doesn't need to be thermal or anything but unless we have flares then a normal scope doesn't really work.

Agreed, sounds good. Looking forward to the new version.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - SPhoenix - 05-06-2014

Thanks to Varanon and you all for your feedback, I have updated the mission. It should be uploaded and ready for you whenever you want to try it again.
Hope it works out better the next time!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 05-07-2014

Mission updated! SPhoenix, if you are to make more missions feel free to open a thread on the mission released board. This way we can provide support and feedback more easily.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - McGregor - 05-09-2014

Hello and thanks for yet an other great coop night. I felt most of the missions were very interesting even though we failed hard on some of them. I must apologize for some of my derpy moves like unintentionally submerging the sub and being unable to resurface again. I felt like such a tool. But hey, lesson learned and I wont do it again.

I was also thrown into the deep end taking over the lead of my group when Varanon had to go. I had no clue how to operate the long range radio. But now I do and I won't forget Smile Luckily it was only me and Hellhammer left in the group so we managed to find our way despite my inexperience.

One last thought. I have noticed that on some missions we have taken a little extra time during the briefing to go over a rough game plan (5-10min). Who does what, equipment to bring, designated roles etc. I find that this makes for a better experience in-game with less confusion and so on. I truly believe that spending a little extra time organizing before we hit that magic "Continue" button saves us a lot of time and headache in-game. Even if the result is utter mayhem and failure.

So after playing with you guys for just a few nights I must say that first impression is amazing and I'm looking forward to many more!