Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-27-2014

(04-27-2014, 12:43 PM)Variable link Wrote:Thanks for Joining Sithis, I think you guys are just the right type for the CiA playstyle and I'm glad you guys are on board!
I really appreciate you making missions for that take advantage of our addon list and our player count, this is just great! I see you posted a new mission this morning, I'll do my best to upload it to the server before tonight's game.

Yeah, great to see all the new guys, gives us a chance to play all those high player count missions for a change Smile Can only second what Variable said about you making missions for us to play Sithis, much appreciated.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 04-28-2014

It was cool seeing a lot of new players this last session...everyone did really well.  ;D

It was unfortunate that the TFA update caused so much hassle and time spent trying to get it all working, but that's a pretty rare occurrence.

Sorry I failed in leading that last mission...seemed like a good plan until we hit that Hunter.  Even at that point, I thought we were behind the hill enough and there was smoke obscuring them...so I took a peek and got instantly headshot by the Hunter, even though it completely enveloped in smoke and I never saw it.  Sad  Luckily I was the only one that died permanently and you guys got to keep going.

I assume it has something to do with where the smoke appears to be vs. where the "smoke" actually is obscuring the AI's sight.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - McGregor - 04-28-2014

I just wanted to say thanks for last night. I had a good time despite the small issues and delays. I have to admit that I felt a bit lost at times. It's been a while since I played, especially with so many mods. I'm seriously thinking of installing Arma 2 for Tuesday (It's not installed because of new HDD). As you know it can be some work installing from scratch. I'll see if I can get a chance to do it in time.
Again, thank you for having me. I'm looking forward to next time  Big Grin

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 04-28-2014

Op Longshot - the first mission we played where we realized that we need to update TFA.

I checked it in editor and all playable units are civilians with NATO uniforms. Civilians do not get radios and so probably TFA doesn't replace the default radios with TFA ones, which is why we had no radios (aside from having different versions of TFA). Thing to note if we end up in a mission where we have no radios.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 04-29-2014

(04-28-2014, 09:52 AM)McGregor link Wrote:I just wanted to say thanks for last night. I had a good time despite the small issues and delays. I have to admit that I felt a bit lost at times. It's been a while since I played, especially with so many mods. I'm seriously thinking of installing Arma 2 for Tuesday (It's not installed because of new HDD). As you know it can be some work installing from scratch. I'll see if I can get a chance to do it in time.
Again, thank you for having me. I'm looking forward to next time?

You are most welcome McGregor. Joining the Arma 2 session is a good idea also because it's generally with a smaller team. It will help you adjust in a less hectic environment. Use our?PwS profile, it installs all the mods for you in a single (or so) click.
When you have the time and patience, go over our?Standard Operating Procedures. It's still WIP but I suppose we will announce about it in public soon enough. If you have any feedback or questions, please let us know!

(04-28-2014, 04:20 AM)MavericK link Wrote:It was cool seeing a lot of new players this last session...everyone did really well. ?

It was unfortunate that the TFA update caused so much hassle and time spent trying to get it all working, but that's a pretty rare occurrence.

Sorry I failed in leading that last mission...seemed like a good plan until we hit that Hunter. ?Even at that point, I thought we were behind the hill enough and there was smoke obscuring them...so I took a peek and got instantly headshot by the Hunter, even though it completely enveloped in smoke and I never saw it.?
??Luckily I was the only one that died permanently and you guys got to keep going.

I assume it has something to do with where the smoke appears to be vs. where the "smoke" actually is obscuring the AI's sight.

Yeah I agree with everything. Clash of Titans being the prime of the evening, I didn't get to fight that much in it. Kept moving between the guys that actually did the actual fighting. How was it for you guys? Too bad our pilots were unemployed, apparently the Blackfoor was waiting for the pilots at the extraction point. I suppose the briefing wasn't clear enough at that point. Already reported to Vanha about that. Everybody please thumb up and comment on the mission page here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=252624381&searchtext=clash+of+titans

One thing bothered me. It's the communication thing. In "Recovery", ck's mission, I asked my team to rearm before we moved out. The silence was very long and very loud. When I asked again one guy said that he doesn't need to rearm. Then why the hell didn't you say that in the first place? Well maybe he did but the transmission didn't go through but no effort was made to confirm the message was received. We were all standing there waiting for nothing. People, please put more effort in communicating. If you say something you might have been misherd or the communication didn't pass through, so if you don't hear a reply from the leader, such as "ok", or "roger"make sureagain that he received your message.

Good games, I really liked the drone attack on Outlawz' convoy mission, and I look forward to the chance to shoot these bastards down once we have some AA.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - McGregor - 04-29-2014

(04-29-2014, 08:50 AM)Variable link Wrote:You are most welcome McGregor. Joining the Arma 2 session is a good idea also because it's generally with a smaller team. It will help you adjust in a less hectic environment. Use our?PwS profile, it installs all the mods for you in a single (or so) click.
When you have the time and patience, go over our?Standard Operating Procedures. It's still WIP but I suppose we will announce about it in public soon enough. If you have any feedback or questions, please let us know!

Unfortunately I wont be able to have Arma 2 installed by tonight. Will definitely have it by next week. I will have a proper read trough of the Standard Operating Procedures before Thursday. See you guys then  Big Grin

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 04-29-2014

(04-29-2014, 08:50 AM)Variable link Wrote:Yeah I agree with everything. Clash of Titans being the prime of the evening, I didn't get to fight that much in it. Kept moving between the guys that actually did the actual fighting. How was it for you guys? Too bad our pilots were unemployed, apparently the Blackfoor was waiting for the pilots at the extraction point. I suppose the briefing wasn't clear enough at that point. Already reported to Vanha about that. Everybody please thumb up and comment on the mission page here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=252624381&searchtext=clash+of+titans

I assume this is the one where Outlawz and myself were on the heli team.  I think the new TFA version actually caused a fair amount of issues in this one, as when I started it seems that my LR frequency must have been different from the main squads, because for a long time I never heard anything until there was enough text chatter to confirm frequencies.  Similarly, Outlawz had one of the SR radios with pre-set channels and no custom frequencies, whereas I had one where I could set the numbers.  We spent a fair amount of time going back and forth trying to figure out what was going on until eventually coming to the conclusion that we had completely different radios.

I can see the idea of bringing more radio types in to enhance realism, but it just made it sort of frustrating overall.  I don't see the point in the team leader having the only custom frequency radio...if they needed to change frequencies between multiple squad SR channels, they could much more easily just use the same radio as everyone else and switch channels.  Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like it's making the process more complicated than it needs to be.

Overall, as far as the mission goes, I was not really sure what we were supposed to do with the transport helicopter.  It sounds as though we were expected to fly it to the extract point, and then pick up the Blackfoot?  With the enemy jet circling the area like a hawk I wonder if we would have even made it.  Definitely needs some clarity on the role of the pilots.

Good mission overall, though...just half the time I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be doing, and coupled with the communication issues it detracted from the mission greatly.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-29-2014

(04-29-2014, 09:10 PM)MavericK link Wrote:I assume this is the one where Outlawz and myself were on the heli team.  I think the new TFA version actually caused a fair amount of issues in this one, as when I started it seems that my LR frequency must have been different from the main squads, because for a long time I never heard anything until there was enough text chatter to confirm frequencies.  Similarly, Outlawz had one of the SR radios with pre-set channels and no custom frequencies, whereas I had one where I could set the numbers.  We spent a fair amount of time going back and forth trying to figure out what was going on until eventually coming to the conclusion that we had completely different radios.

I can see the idea of bringing more radio types in to enhance realism, but it just made it sort of frustrating overall.  I don't see the point in the team leader having the only custom frequency radio...if they needed to change frequencies between multiple squad SR channels, they could much more easily just use the same radio as everyone else and switch channels.  Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like it's making the process more complicated than it needs to be.

I think what happened there is the new TFAR update gives regular soldiers fixed channel radios now, which obviously causes some problems as you experienced. The author is going to provide a userconfig setting to disable this new feature though, so that it will go back to giving everyone the changeable radios. Hopefully it won't be too long, otherwise maybe we should switch back to the previous version until this is fixed?

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 04-29-2014

(04-29-2014, 11:12 PM)doveman link Wrote:I think what happened there is the new TFAR update gives regular soldiers fixed channel radios now, which obviously causes some problems as you experienced. The author is going to provide a userconfig setting to disable this new feature though, so that it will go back to giving everyone the changeable radios. Hopefully it won't be too long, otherwise maybe we should switch back to the previous version until this is fixed?

nKey on the BIS forum said that it should be possible to disable the rifleman radios by server config. Also, a team leader can "reprogram" the rifleman radio to his frequencies, although I don't know how that works.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 04-30-2014

(04-29-2014, 11:12 PM)doveman link Wrote:I think what happened there is the new TFAR update gives regular soldiers fixed channel radios now, which obviously causes some problems as you experienced. The author is going to provide a userconfig setting to disable this new feature though, so that it will go back to giving everyone the changeable radios. Hopefully it won't be too long, otherwise maybe we should switch back to the previous version until this is fixed?

That's good.  And actually, I don't mind the fixed-channel radios...actually it probably makes it easier to get everyone on the same frequency.  The issue is just having different radios among members of the same team, which makes it so if someone who is using a custom-frequency radio has their frequency set to something that is not supported by the fixed-channel ones, it's going to cause problems.

IMO either all custom-frequency or all fixed-channel for SR radios is best.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-30-2014

OK, Cool. Let's carry on the discussion about TFAR in this thread http://ciahome.net/forum/index.php?topic=3033.0

A couple of the missions I'm a bit vague about, so I'll wait for someone else to comment on them to jog my memory but for those I do remember:

Gryphons

This seemed like a cool mission as we had the helo to help protect us from tanks but at the same time the rest of us need to try and find and neutralise the AA to protect it. I'm not sure if it got taken out by AA on the second playthough though.

I don't know what weapons it's equipped with and what their effective range is but most of the activity seems to come down the road to the East and on the ridge to the SE I think, although there was also some fire coming from the forest to the NE. Maybe the helo could hang back a bit to the West and still be able to take out the tanks as they approach without being as vulnerable to AA?

I was long dead by then but it was clearly annoying for those who were still alive that the remaining enemy refused to advance on the base. I think we were meant to advance and take the town to the East once we'd defended the base, so I guess maybe we could have pushed forward and taken the fight to them (in a flanking manouevre). Without cover from the helo though, this would probably have been suicide.

Behind Enemy Lines

I was leading this one and we pretty much had to just try and head South and avoid the numerous enemies in all other directions. I thought everyone did a great job defending and calling out contacts when we got engaged in the forest. I decided we needed to move and get to the other side of the road as we were getting a bit pinned down by sporadic contacts from both sides and the rear but unfortunately there were two vehicles on the left which engaged us. Once I looked up and saw the helo staring right at me (I'd seen it out of the corner of my eye to the left but thought it was an unarmed transport!), I knew it was all over.

With hindsight, I wish I'd stayed there supressing and kept one AT guy with me to take a shot at the vehicles whilst I told everyone else to keep running for the trees, as they might have made it before the helo engaged us. Ain't hindsight a bitch Wink 

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 04-30-2014

(04-30-2014, 04:07 AM)doveman link Wrote:Gryphons
Maybe the helo could hang back a bit to the West and still be able to take out the tanks as they approach without being as vulnerable to AA?
Exactly. We got too close both of the times. At the second attempt we positioned better (not on top of your heads hehe, that went rather bad when we crashed on you), back to the west (I think). From there we could fire all our (eight) Hellfire missiles outside the enemy weapon range. The mistake was that after we depleted our missiles we advanced forward, and got shot down. I suggest that in the next attempt we will hold at the back, fire the missiles and wait for the attacking infantry to get closer, we can engage them with 20mm from that range. Can be useful against light armour such as the BMPs.

(04-30-2014, 04:07 AM)doveman link Wrote:Behind Enemy Lines
With hindsight, I wish I'd stayed there supressing and kept one AT guy with me to take a shot at the vehicles whilst I told everyone else to keep running for the trees, as they might have made it before the helo engaged us. Ain't hindsight a bitch Wink 
I think that at that point it was already too late. We can't stay put for that long in this mission, everything practically yells at you to keep on moving.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-30-2014

(04-30-2014, 12:46 PM)Variable link Wrote:Exactly. We got too close both of the times. At the second attempt we positioned better (not on top of your heads hehe, that went rather bad when we crashed on you), back to the west (I think). From there we could fire all our (eight) Hellfire missiles outside the enemy weapon range. The mistake was that after we depleted our missiles we advanced forward, and got shot down. I suggest that in the next attempt we will hold at the back, fire the missiles and wait for the attacking infantry to get closer, we can engage them with 20mm from that range. Can be useful against light armour such as the BMPs.

Sounds like a good plan, although you might need to save some missles for any tanks that are lurking in the distance or near the town we have to advance on later but I think the briefing said you can land and resupply, so you might not need to be too careful.

Quote:I think that at that point it was already too late. We can't stay put for that long in this mission, everything practically yells at you to keep on moving.

Yeah, tell me about it. It's just trying to trick you though. You see a pizza delivery van on the road and then an apparently unarmed transport helo and think it's OK to advance, then you get to the road and there's two armed vehicles waiting for you and the helo turns into a lethal gunship Wink

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 05-01-2014

We really could need something like this: link

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 05-01-2014

(05-01-2014, 04:41 PM)Varanon link Wrote:We really could need something like this: link
Yes we do! How are they doing it?