Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-16-2014

Needle in a Haystack

After a few false starts, we got going eventually and I enjoyed it and thought it was well led by Victor. Even though we thought we were going round the enemy, we just ran into a shitload more of them and the trees didn't afford much protection. Varanon did a good job taking over lead and getting us through the trees to safety at the rock wall. Although we then couldn't see the guys we'd been running from to take them out, I don't think they could see us either. I can't actually recall how it ended but I think there was probably some enemy nearer that surprised us.

Block Party

Quote:A hint for anyone who would like to lead once and not get lost: Defense missions are mostly easy to lead since they just involve staying in one location and shooting everything that moves.
This one was no different. We killed the tanks, and in the end, only 10 or so enemies were left (of course, we were already decimated at that point). That damn APC flanked us good.

I thought you coped well with leading us, despite the frustrations of us not understanding the plan at first and all following you when you went to place the mines, certain people getting attacked by killer rocks  :o, etc.

I tried to take command when there were only three of us left but I couldn't think of much to suggest as we were under attack from several directions by then. I always think 'maybe we could have tried this' reflecting back on it the next day but under pressure I struggle to have an overview of the situation, what/who is where, etc. Hopefully I'll improve with practice though and some things will become second-nature, freeing up more of my brain for the other stuff.

Quote:Also, I think we should make it a rule that medics don't take mission-critical weapons, like AT launchers. If armor pops up at the time the medic is healing someone, it can be very problematic, to say the least.

Good point.

Air Patrol

It was unfortunate (and frustrating) that the truck wasn't where it was supposed to be (we searched the general area from the air and couldn't spot it) and then the tank was in a field with heavy fog, meaning we had to go right to the edge of the trees before we could see it and so were exposed and sitting targets once it spotted us. I guess we could have hung back a bit deeper in the trees and hoped that the tank would come nearer so that we could see it but we might have been waiting all day like that. Or maybe the helo could have flown over to spot it and tell us when it was safe to approach but I'm not sure if it might have opened fire on the helo.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 04-24-2014

Barely managed to gather on Tuesday until Victor_Q brought his friends. Is it because it's ArmA2 or because it's Tuesday?

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-24-2014

(04-24-2014, 06:31 PM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Barely managed to gather on Tuesday until Victor_Q brought his friends. Is it because it's ArmA2 or because it's Tuesday?

For me, neither. I planned to come but was knackered after the Easter weekend and fell asleep on the couch  :Smile Sorry you were left struggling to get a game going.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 04-25-2014

Flycatcher

This mission is hard, but I like it a lot. We're always getting pwned by the vehicles, so in the future, we should probably try to hunt them down before proceeding to the base.

Also, as a remark, if your team leader dies go get his long range radio.

Recovery

Not really sure what happened. I got shot pretty early and respawned as the Ghost Hawk's door gunner. For whatever reason, the Blackfoot engaged the ghost hawk, it seems the other door gunner had killed (accidentally) killed the wreckage and turned the whole helicopter hostile.

On The Point

Looked like a fun mission, too bad my squad was completely wasted (except for Knight) at the very start of it. Knight's idea of deploying glow sticks was good, we were able to shoot at a few that came close but the sheer number of them (at least 20 I counted after I died and started to spectate) meant we never stood a chance, more so since they came  up the hill. Retreating earlier was impossible since we only saw them once they already were upon us.

Operation Fast Hammer

Great mission! Mostly flawless execution. We had some trouble with one team (Schlange I think) because they had moved into the outpost without us knowing, so we might have opened fire on them. If you have captured a point it is better to let everybody know.

Blue line to Therisa

I'll have to say that I quickly got bored of this. I know that there was a point to leaving a team behind, but a) that team had no long-range weapons b) a single observer would have been sufficient and c) I think that fun for the whole team should have priority over "flawless execution". As it was, Sithis, Knight and myself mostly did nothing in this mission after we approached the last town, and considering the length of this mission, I didn't think that was necessary. About the rest I cannot say very much, as Charlie team was mostly out of the action for 50% of the duration.

(Don't consider this a rant; I am just saying that sometimes, "interesting" is better than "safe")

Ping Pong

A really cool mission because it is radically different. The big issue I think are the divers, they are just too good at spotting use with no chance of us spotting them, but with the latest modifications done by Varanon this issue should be solved. Looking forward to the next try.

One thing though: If you take a slot, make sure you know how the role works. Both UAV operators had their trouble with the UAV's; if you aren't 100% comfortable with the role, don't take it, or ask.

Boys gone wild

I wasn't able to spot the general with the UAV, which is partially because of the insane number of enemies in the town. While that is generally fine to make things interesting, I didn't like the fact that most of them were single guys distributed so evenly across the map that it was next to impossible to find a gap; the set up appeared unrealistic to me

Re: The Debriefing Thread - freeman - 04-25-2014

About the mission with the fortress holding, where we had support of 2 helis, "recovery" i think is called:
I'm just going to point my mistakes, which are clear to me in retrospect.  For a good extraction i should have briefed everyone in my team that the plan is to rush and get to the chopper as soon as it lands.

Failing to do that, my team was still in combat when i gave the order to board the copper, so i had to ask several times for them to even hear me. By the time people boarded the chopper, i was a man short, and confused about being a man short. The last guy even came to the chopper, about 2-3 minutes late asking me what are the orders Smile . Chopper was already overrun, and Variable did the only thing he could have done in a situation where the leader(aka me) is unfit , that is to try to save himself + friendlies inside.
It was too late though

Extra note: i complained childishly why i was team bravo and not team alpha, like in the slot screen. Its because i have a photo memory, and i like to associate more what i see with what to do. Still shouldn't have complained in the middle of the firefight , as i think i annoyed Variable :p

(04-25-2014, 02:54 PM)freeman link Wrote:Extra note: i complained childishly why i was team bravo and not team alpha, like in the slot screen. Its because i have a photo memory, and i like to associate more what i see with what to do. Still shouldn't have complained in the middle of the firefight , as i think i annoyed Variable :p

I have gone to naming each team member according to their team in the unit's "name" field. For example, the Team Leader becomes "Alpha Team Leader" or "Team Leader Alpha", that gets rid of some of the confusion.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Knight - 04-25-2014

Since this is I think my third time on CIA co-op evenings, I will give my first impressions.

I like the professional attitude on how to approach each mission and I very much enjoy the radio channels. I love the immersion that I get in this game, especially when you can't always be brought back up and die.

I like how everyone is welcomed and treated respectfully when asking beginner questions like myself. I am grateful for the patience.

I've noticed that once a leader dies, things start falling apart consistently. I suggest perhaps beforehand make someone second in rank in each squad to take over once that happens. Might make the transition of command easier in the thick of it and more professional.

I would like to lead myself when the opportunity arises. I work well under stress and I have decent tactical insight. For now if I am honest I would first like to get more comfortable playing ARMAIII itself, since I still struggle with controls. Once I can orient faster and no longer need to think on which keys to press, I will gladly volunteer. And if shit goes south, tell me so that I may learn!

On the missions:

I liked them all, even the ones that didn't get to start. I quite honestly can try something again 100 times so long as I enjoy the game-play, and so far I do!

For now I am mostly taking everything in, and trying to follow the leaders as they order and navigate. I am mostly trying every time to do the same thing on my own map and see how fast I am. I notice that I am quite a bit slower than this insane guy 'Variable' who always seems to know where we are Big Grin (Any help on how I can improve and navigate faster is welcome!)

Before you can lead you must learn how to follow so that is what I am doing! And perhaps one day, if you guys would have it, I'll give it a shotSmile

Thanks for the fun times, hopefully my job allows me to join again soon.

Knight.

Hey Knight, welcome to the forum ^^

(04-25-2014, 03:43 PM)Knight link Wrote:I've noticed that once a leader dies, things start falling apart consistently. I suggest perhaps beforehand make someone second in rank in each squad to take over once that happens. Might make the transition of command easier in the thick of it and more professional.

I agree, losing the leader usually means a certain chaos period follows. Normally there should be a "natural" order (Number 2 takes over), but experience shows that usually people do not like to lead so there is hesitation. It might really help that if the leader is dead and someone else has the command bar, he immediately declares either to take over command, or pass it on to the next one.  Other than that, having someone to volunteer as the second-in-command right from the start might work out well (provided he doesn't die earlier Smile)

Quote:I would like to lead myself when the opportunity arises. I work well under stress and I have decent tactical insight. For now if I am honest I would first like to get more comfortable playing ARMAIII itself, since I still struggle with controls. Once I can orient faster and no longer need to think on which keys to press, I will gladly volunteer. And if shit goes south, tell me so that I may learn!

Arma III is a very user- and beginner-friendly game... said no one ever Smile Take your time

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 04-25-2014

(04-25-2014, 01:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Recovery

Not really sure what happened. I got shot pretty early and respawned as the Ghost Hawk's door gunner. For whatever reason, the Blackfoot engaged the ghost hawk, it seems the other door gunner had killed (accidentally) killed the wreckage and turned the whole helicopter hostile.
Loved this mission. Intense! I'm sure we can do this if we work this right. I'm sorry, I'm not good enough of a pilot to land right in the middle of the castle...

(04-25-2014, 02:54 PM)freeman link Wrote:Failing to do that, my team was still in combat when i gave the order to board the copper, so i had to ask several times for them to even hear me. By the time people boarded the chopper, i was a man short, and confused about being a man short. The last guy even came to the chopper, about 2-3 minutes late asking me what are the orders Smile . Chopper was already overrun, and Variable did the only thing he could have done in a situation where the leader(aka me) is unfit , that is to try to save himself + friendlies inside.
It was too late though
Oh I took off only because I came under fire from, what I thought was, an enemy chopper. Didn't help much anyway...
In any case, good leading Freeman. Bear in mind that one of the hardest things in leading is making people disengage hehe. Even with the most disciplined soldiers it will not be sufficient to order to disengage just once once. It's hard in the game as it is in real life.When you need your men to stop firing and retreating raise your voice and repeat the order several times, like "Everybody to the chopper! Go, go, go!! That will get them moving.

(04-25-2014, 02:54 PM)freeman link Wrote:Extra note: i complained childishly why i was team bravo and not team alpha, like in the slot screen. Its because i have a photo memory, and i like to associate more what i see with what to do. Still shouldn't have complained in the middle of the firefight , as i think i annoyed Variable :p
We all know the game enough to let go of its deficiencies and enjoy the mission. Comments like that, or any comments during a firefight that point out the problems of the game reminds everybody that they are, indeed, playing a game. And that's an immersion killer. No biggy Freeman, I just sound upset Wink

(04-25-2014, 01:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:On The Point
Looked like a fun mission, too bad my squad was completely wasted (except for Knight) at the very start of it. Knight's idea of deploying glow sticks was good, we were able to shoot at a few that came close but the sheer number of them (at least 20 I counted after I died and started to spectate) meant we never stood a chance, more so since they came  up the hill. Retreating earlier was impossible since we only saw them once they already were upon us.
Great mission! We had some hairy firefights there at the darkness and it was cool. In retrospect, I'm just sorry I didn't put Varanon's team into the fight. I was certain they are just about to be attacked but it seemed like the majority of enemy attacked from Alwarren's team's flank, and the rest that attacked from the north was all taken out on the minefield.

(04-25-2014, 03:43 PM)Knight link Wrote:Since this is I think my third time on CIA co-op evenings, I will give my first impressions.

I like the professional attitude on how to approach each mission and I very much enjoy the radio channels. I love the immersion that I get in this game, especially when you can't always be brought back up and die.

I like how everyone is welcomed and treated respectfully when asking beginner questions like myself. I am grateful for the patience.

I've noticed that once a leader dies, things start falling apart consistently. I suggest perhaps beforehand make someone second in rank in each squad to take over once that happens. Might make the transition of command easier in the thick of it and more professional.

I would like to lead myself when the opportunity arises. I work well under stress and I have decent tactical insight. For now if I am honest I would first like to get more comfortable playing ARMAIII itself, since I still struggle with controls. Once I can orient faster and no longer need to think on which keys to press, I will gladly volunteer. And if shit goes south, tell me so that I may learn!

On the missions:

I liked them all, even the ones that didn't get to start. I quite honestly can try something again 100 times so long as I enjoy the game-play, and so far I do!

For now I am mostly taking everything in, and trying to follow the leaders as they order and navigate. I am mostly trying every time to do the same thing on my own map and see how fast I am. I notice that I am quite a bit slower than this insane guy 'Variable' who always seems to know where we are Big Grin (Any help on how I can improve and navigate faster is welcome!)

Before you can lead you must learn how to follow so that is what I am doing! And perhaps one day, if you guys would have it, I'll give it a shotSmile

Thanks for the fun times, hopefully my job allows me to join again soon.

Knight.
It's great to have you aboard Knight! Feel free to take the lead, we don't require expertise of any kind in order to lead on coop nights, just good will and communication, I'm sure you'll fit it perfectly.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - ck-claw - 04-25-2014

(04-25-2014, 03:36 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:I have gone to naming each team member according to their team in the unit's "name" field. For example, the Team Leader becomes "Alpha Team Leader" or "Team Leader Alpha", that gets rid of some of the confusion.

I think Freeman, this is one of my earlier missions- but now my missions are setup exactly as Alwarren has quoted  8)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 04-26-2014

(04-25-2014, 03:51 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:I agree, losing the leader usually means a certain chaos period follows. Normally there should be a "natural" order (Number 2 takes over), but experience shows that usually people do not like to lead so there is hesitation. It might really help that if the leader is dead and someone else has the command bar, he immediately declares either to take over command, or pass it on to the next one.  Other than that, having someone to volunteer as the second-in-command right from the start might work out well (provided he doesn't die earlier Smile)

Yeah...I can't play during the week but I will chime in on this briefly because it happens a fair amount.  I think part of the issue is that you can sometimes have ArmA making the "second-in-command" the medic or some other role that isn't necessarily fit as a team leader, since the team leader generally takes point.  This might just have to do with the mission itself and the unit order/numbers, but that is definitely something that has happened before.  Ideally you want the units that are more suited to take command near the top of the order so when the leader dies the command automatically transfers to the next most capable unit.

As for the people who play those units actually doing that and wanting to command, well...that's a different story.  Tongue

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Sithis - 04-27-2014

Good morning everybody,

as you might remember me and Unnamed joined the Coop night on Thursday for the first time.
We were both pleasently suprised how organized and focused everything was and we will both try to be back tonight to join the fun again.

For the missions:
1.Flycatcher:

Sorry we fucked up at the start when the group that we thought would go east of town stayed west of the other team so we just followed the eastern most group which turned out to be the wrong one. The HUD display helps a lot. Please forgive our noobishnes.

After we joined the right group the mission was intense. Really enjoyed beeing in a firefight with the constant "Oh shit" feeling. Sadly got killed by friendly fire, but hey shit happens.

Recovery:

When we reached the castle our assault wasnt really smooth. I dont recall who our leader was, but you cant tighten a formation while in full sprint with heavier people following you Wink . Also after forming a line we just kind of kept stumbling into the enemy on the open ground. Smoke and bounding overwatch would have worked wonders, but now Im just nitpicking. Overall the mission was good from my point of view until I bugged through a wall and died.

On The Point:

I was the medic in the mortar team and didnt really get anything to do until I kept sticking with the team that was covering the east(?). The firefight was intense and I think this mission would benefit a lot if the mission macker would switch from the current Squad makeup to a more realistic structure.

Operation Fast Hammer:

Yeah we played my mission. I was a little suprised when my Teamleader decided on a different ambushpoint than intended, but it worked just as well if not better. I felt like my teamleader did a great job in general. Just coms with the third team sadly didnt really work, but hey thats the kind of stuff that makes it interesting.

I now updated the mission so that it has the revive scipt, you get a notification when an objective is complete and the mission autoends when all objectives are complete.

Blue line to Therisa:

I really liked the concept of the mission, however it was dragged out to long with to little ammo. Espacially AT ammo was lacking considering we were up against tanks at the end. Triggers are also flawed, but it was fun nontheless.
I was in the team that was playing the waiting game. Which I personally didnt mind. For me that is part of the experience and I can sit there for quiet a while just giving position reports.

So yeah all in all I totally loved it. I started making a few more missions build around the CIA required mods pack and with a 10-14 player count. Also if anybody has ideas or wants to play a certain type of scenario let me know and ill see what I can put together.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 04-27-2014

Thanks for Joining Sithis, I think you guys are just the right type for the CiA playstyle and I'm glad you guys are on board!
I really appreciate you making missions for that take advantage of our addon list and our player count, this is just great! I see you posted a new mission this morning, I'll do my best to upload it to the server before tonight's game.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-27-2014

Flycatcher

I recall that there was some confusion about whether the contacts near us were enemy or not, at least until they started shooting at us, as some of the team had advanced a bit in front of the rest, so maybe that let the enemy get some (fatal) shots in? Once our team leader died, I took the radio but strangely the AT launcher, which I presume he was carrying, didn't seem to be there until we came back later to find his body gone but an AT launcher there. Our team were pretty useless once I took over I'm afraid as we had no GPS and I had trouble working out where we were but we would have had trouble advancing over the open ground with the vehicles patrolling anyway.

Recovery

I quite enjoyed what was essentially a defence mission for our team, although it was hard covering all the entrances and there wasn't much cover. I tried going in one of the towers early on but the small windows restrict the view too much but maybe we could have hung back nearer the centre behind some of the ruined walls rather than right at the entrances.

Shame about the AI gunner incident. Maybe we need to have players take those spots in future or maybe it's possible to edit their behaviour so they don't fire within the walls of the castle?

On The Point

I was flying the UAV and flew out a bit in all directions but nothing showed up (I was using thermals) until I saw the infantry and vehicle approaching. Maybe I needed to fly further out but I was a bit worried about losing comms as I only had SR (maybe there was a spare LR bag I could have taken after getting the Darter deployed?).

I got shot down pretty soon after spotting the enemy. I think I was at about 200m, so maybe I needed to be higher but again I was worried about losing comms. I need to get better at knowing where I'm looking so that I can mark targets quicker as well, as it takes me far too long to work it out at the moment.

Operation Fast Hammer

I was leading Schlange for this one. I moved us east then north onto the outpost to try and avoid crossfire from the team watching/advancing on the HQ, which was to the NW off the outpost (I think the team started to the NE of the HQ, so if they fired towards it they'd be firing SW, so not towards us to the SSE). Sorry if I didn't notify the other teams that we were at the outpost, I recall numerous status requests and saying that we were attacking the outpost and taking fire from it, etc and later after we'd moved in, saying that we were still there trying to find the stragglers to clear the task but obviously there was some failing on my part with the comms if the other team didn't know we were there.

Blue line to Therisa

I agree with Alwarren that it would probably have been sufficient to just have Sandbox in the vehicle acting as observer (as gunner he would have better visuals than anyone else anyway) and it's important to try and keep everyone involved and having fun. Nonetheless, it was a nice mission and I think SPhoenix did a good job of calmly and confidently taking control after our team leader died. We definitely could have done with some more AT, although I guess if we hadn't kept missing (myself included) we might have had enough Wink

Ping Pong

The last time we played this the airstrikes didn't work, so we just ended up on land and got killed pretty quickly, so I didn't really know what to expect this time. I very much enjoyed it, not least because it's very different from any other missions we've played and the whole scenario is very cool. I fumbled a bit with the transceiver when out of the sub, as I was pressing Alt to look around all the time and then getting confused and not pressing it when I tried to use the radio but I've got an idea to avoid that problem. I'm pretty sure there was fire coming from land, whether it was directed at me or not, as at one point I saw bullet impact/spray on the surface when I looked up and there was constant pings and whizzes around me and there was no sign of any divers at this point. It was only much later, when we spotted the mines, that I bumped into a couple of divers who were probably about 20ft away but didn't notice me immediately, although once they did it was over for me pretty quickly. Maybe the best thing to do when spotting divers is retreat and try and find another route to advance, as there's no cover underwater and so not much chance of surviving once two divers start shooting at you.

Boys gone wild

Didn't really get to do anything in this one due to the impossibility of identifying where the general was. I thought we might be able to spot his SUV but I think the briefing said he wouldn't necessarily be with it anyway, so that probably wouldn't have helped us much.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-27-2014

(04-25-2014, 03:51 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:I agree, losing the leader usually means a certain chaos period follows. Normally there should be a "natural" order (Number 2 takes over), but experience shows that usually people do not like to lead so there is hesitation. It might really help that if the leader is dead and someone else has the command bar, he immediately declares either to take over command, or pass it on to the next one.  Other than that, having someone to volunteer as the second-in-command right from the start might work out well (provided he doesn't die earlier Smile)

Yeah, I don't mind taking over a fireteam but sometimes it means taking command of the entire squad and that can be more daunting in the middle of a mission when we're engaged. Sometimes I'll end up in the number 2 slot simply because the other slots are full or are roles I know I'm not very good at, like AT but in future I guess we should discuss before starting if the number 2 will have to take overall command if the leader dies and if so, maybe swap a couple of people around if the person in that slot isn't comfortable, so that the transition is easier in game if the leader dies.

Is it even possible to pass the command bar onto someone else? I guess if there's no AI it's not that important, although it's probably helpful for the leader to be able to see who he's got but if there is AI the leader needs to be able to control it (unless the person who has the bar can handle commanding the AI as per the leader's instructions).