Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 04-11-2014

(04-01-2014, 05:43 PM)MavericK link Wrote:And thanks!  I feel a little more comfortable leading a smaller group than a large operation, and overall I think it went well enough.

I know this is off topic for the thread, but honestly, what's the problem with taking the lead ? I don't particularly LIKE leading, but there's nothing to it, and I really don't understand the reluctance of most people to lead. If it's a larger operation, divide your large team into smaller teams, and command only the teams, and you've really solved any problem that usually present itself with large teams. Assign fire team leaders, and that's it.

To the debriefing topic:

Missing in Action

Long but good mission, solid leading by Variable.

A few points to note: PLEASE, speak! If you lose sight of the others, say so. If you see an enemy, say so. If the question is asked about who has special weaponry, speak. If you are given orders, confirm that you got them. If you didn't understand, ask the leader to repeat. Orders are easily drowned out by gunshots sounds or engines, so it's easy to miss something. So, confirm orders, say when you  see enemies or are lost, etc.

I suggest everyone to read this document as it contains vital information, especially on these subjects. And don't be afraid to speak!

Thornbill

Another case of miscommunication. I asked the team to start working on the wounded, and no one even did anything, not even our medic. This is not really acceptable. The result was two team members dying from bleeding out (including me).  That prompted me to quit for the night (so no further comments on the remaining missions from me).

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 04-14-2014

Abdera Sanctum

I got shot immediately in this mission, the convoy was too close so there was no chance to get away - I couldn't place the mines. The truck down the road was pretty far off, since I went there first to check it was already too late. If we had gone directly to ambush and not bothered with the ammo box and truck, things might have gone different. Still, in spite of the chaos the mission was good.

Deny Enemy Resupply

Too bad we lost the Gorgon, other than that the thing went well. Freeman did a good job at leading this. All in all a long but enjoyable mission.

Operation Mountain Lion

The concentration of enemies in the village was insane, and two HMG cars opened fire on us at the same time. When I counted later there were over 40 enemies in the town, and I hated it that the mission has you go down into the valley to a staging area that is entirely unnecessary - since we were inserted by helo, that could have carried the supplies instead of stowing them away in the forest.

I think the way to crack this is to have both teams attack the castle and then the town. Otherwise, there is no way to have enough barrels to succeed, more so since we have the weak 5.56 to start with. On the plus side, the mission doesn't have VAS.

Wraith Recon 05

Can we say "motherfucking" on the forum? Because this mission is motherfucking tough. I would say that the best way to approach it is to attack the targets south to north, i.e. go for the factory last. The reason for this is that the factory needs a lot of explosives, and we more or less need to collect them. If we start south, we might have enough carry capacity and explosives to carry wipe out the entire complex.

Also, we should use timers on the charges. Since detonating any of the targets will provoke the gunship attack, we might try to put all charges from south to north on 30 and 20 minutes timers, and detonate them on timer once we're further away.

Spiros' Folly

Finally cracked that one. If this is how this Poltergeist campaign will look like, I do have high hopes for that Smile Not much else to say, the execution was good at the second attempt, going slower was definitely the way to do it.

Saturday's games:
After the Zeus event, we got together and played some more missions (probably because we had to get rid of the stench of respawn Smile)

Hack'n'Blast

I love this mission, even if it kicked our asses again. One of the best Arma missions so far IMO. Constantly on the edge, firefights everywhere, and still you manage to get out - mostly. This time we got all the objectives except to get out, because they shot us all after the bridge. Could probably have avoided that by not going back to that housing area to scavange for ammo. Still, great mission, looking forward to the next try Big Grin

OSN Shutdown

Who the hell came up with the idea that CSAT would call their own spy network "OPFOR Surveillance Network"?

The mission, however, was good (as long as it lasted, since we got shot at the end). I liked how the speech of that general was audible over the plains. The mission had attention to detail, and a good amount of enemies without getting too crazy with it.

All in all, good games in the last two days Smile

Re: The Debriefing Thread - freeman - 04-14-2014

One thing i want to say regarding the long mission on sunday. I was a bit to strict and micromanagement with Setup i think. We went for a small intercept with Variable and the other rpg guy(sorry cant remember). We didn't meet with them ,but we did end up at a view of the city. Enemies were there so i told Setup to fall back several times, too many i should have Smile . But my only concern was him not get killed rather then enforcing my "because i say so".
I felt bad after repeating myself to him, worried he might take it the wrong way.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 04-14-2014

(04-14-2014, 12:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Abdera Sanctum
I got shot immediately in this mission, the convoy was too close so there was no chance to get away - I couldn't place the mines. The truck down the road was pretty far off, since I went there first to check it was already too late. If we had gone directly to ambush and not bothered with the ammo box and truck, things might have gone different. Still, in spite of the chaos the mission was good.
I have no idea what was going while I was babysitting the civilians to the chapel. I came only later to join the mop up. Were the mortar fire missions I called effective? I'll direct Vanha, the author, over here.

(04-14-2014, 12:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Deny Enemy Resupply
Too bad we lost the Gorgon, other than that the thing went well. Freeman did a good job at leading this. All in all a long but enjoyable mission.
Fuck the Gorgon, it made its share by killing lots of infantry, losing it was was a good trade-off. Great leading Freeman, looking forward to follow you into the fray again.
All, please like the mission, participants please feedback the author: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182427542&searchtext=enemy+resupply
He's the one that made that awesome mission "Decently Righteous" , the one that we as guerrilas had to take out some AAA in the town and fight the CSAT counter attack whith NATO support.

(04-14-2014, 12:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Operation Mountain Lion
I think the way to crack this is to have both teams attack the castle and then the town. Otherwise, there is no way to have enough barrels to succeed, more so since we have the weak 5.56 to start with. On the plus side, the mission doesn't have VAS.
Sounds good, the insertion of the Paras was challenging and cool, I liked it. We were outnumbered at the castle, too, so yeah we better tackle both objectives together. Let's try it next time.
All please feedback the author here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=235160280&searchtext=operation+mountain+lion

(04-14-2014, 12:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Wraith Recon 05
Can we say "motherfucking" on the forum? Because this mission is motherfucking tough. I would say that the best way to approach it is to attack the targets south to north, i.e. go for the factory last. The reason for this is that the factory needs a lot of explosives, and we more or less need to collect them. If we start south, we might have enough carry capacity and explosives to carry wipe out the entire complex.
Also, we should use timers on the charges. Since detonating any of the targets will provoke the gunship attack, we might try to put all charges from south to north on 30 and 20 minutes timers, and detonate them on timer once we're further away.
Good suggestions, let's try them. I just LOVED the first engagement at the mine (well, the second, successful one). Team red was taking out the Hunter and suppressing from range, and we on team blue snuck close on the enemy left flank and saw them firing back. We hit them from the side and killed like 5 of them in seconds. I just love when suppression, diversion and flanking work! Big Grin I think I'll put up a video with this part only.
All please feedback the author here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231277008&searchtext=wraith+recon

(04-14-2014, 12:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Spiros' Folly
Finally cracked that one. If this is how this Poltergeist campaign will look like, I do have high hopes for that Smile Not much else to say, the execution was good at the second attempt, going slower was definitely the way to do it.
Yeah, glad I managed to take over that AI. Good execution everyone.
All please like the mission, and participants please feedback the author here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=177370502&searchtext=Spiro%27s

(04-14-2014, 12:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Hack'n'Blast
I love this mission, even if it kicked our asses again. One of the best Arma missions so far IMO. Constantly on the edge, firefights everywhere, and still you manage to get out - mostly. This time we got all the objectives except to get out, because they shot us all after the bridge. Could probably have avoided that by not going back to that housing area to scavange for ammo. Still, great mission, looking forward to the next try Big Grin
This mission is mind blowing. Probably the best Arma 3 fire-fights I ever had thus far. I just love the fast paced combat under the preasure of time. First, you need to hurry to hack the transmission before they manage to call reinforcements. Later, you need to hurry up and get in position before the convoy arrives, and then you need to hurry up and raid the factory for intel before sundown. Great job everyone for great comms and mutual support, this mission surely demands us to be in our best.
Let's get into the head of Igor, the mission maker. I bet he keeps the most of the patrols and the APCs on the road, so we need to avoid it when extracting. The problem is we will need to find another landmark to help us navigate in pitch black.
All who participated, please let Igor what you think of the mission: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?168900-5-H-A-R-D-C-O-R-E-COOP-05-Missions-(no-respawn)-Chapter-I-guerrilla

(04-14-2014, 12:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:OSN Shutdown
Who the hell came up with the idea that CSAT would call their own spy network "OPFOR Surveillance Network"?
The mission, however, was good (as long as it lasted, since we got shot at the end). I liked how the speech of that general was audible over the plains. The mission had attention to detail, and a good amount of enemies without getting too crazy with it.
Good mission. All, please vote it up. Participants, please vote and feedback using a comment on the mission page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=219235682

(04-14-2014, 12:26 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:All in all, good games in the last two days Smile
Indeed. Looking forward to the next coop night!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 04-14-2014

(04-14-2014, 04:36 PM)freeman link Wrote:One thing i want to say regarding the long mission on sunday. I was a bit to strict and micromanagement with Setup i think. We went for a small intercept with Variable and the other rpg guy(sorry cant remember). We didn't meet with them ,but we did end up at a view of the city. Enemies were there so i told Setup to fall back several times, too many i should have Smile . But my only concern was him not get killed rather then enforcing my "because i say so".
I felt bad after repeating myself to him, worried he might take it the wrong way.

I wouldn't worry about it.  I thought you did a good job.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 04-14-2014

Vanha's mission discussion moved to mission releases thread, here: http://ciahome.net/forum/index.php?topic=3121.0

Re: The Debriefing Thread - setup - 04-15-2014

(04-14-2014, 04:36 PM)freeman link Wrote:One thing i want to say regarding the long mission on sunday. I was a bit to strict and micromanagement with Setup i think. We went for a small intercept with Variable and the other rpg guy(sorry cant remember). We didn't meet with them ,but we did end up at a view of the city. Enemies were there so i told Setup to fall back several times, too many i should have Smile . But my only concern was him not get killed rather then enforcing my "because i say so".

Hi Freeman,
I don't recall feeling bad about anything Smile don't worry...
and anyway, being very tired at the time we play - I hardly remember anything later...
Sorry you had to repeat so many times as you say, I must have not heard you correct or was distracted by RL things around me, so i didn't feel enforced or micromanaged.
In firefight's I can hardly hear anyone talking at all (as it should be..) I use JSRS sound mod and the firing sounds are very loud there, I would say even too loud, so I miss all the talking on TS while under fire.
If I try to make TS louder, and in game sound lower - for firefights, then it's totally out of balance for me...
Anyhow, It was a good long mission and good leading by you.

General remark: What I always miss in most missions is real immersion.
distant firefights and especially the aerial side... No helicopters flying today in modern battlefields? no airplanes?
It's too quiet for an island in war...
I would expect mission makers to consider this while making missions, even to put some air assets looping in the distance for ambiance and immersion,
they might even surprise you with one of them coming and attacking you...

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 04-15-2014

There were 10 players on "enemy resupply", and still only 4 comments on the mission page. All they ask for is some feedback, and that for hours of fun mission makers provide us. Please, guys. It doesn't take much from us to leave a "thank you" comment.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-15-2014

I wasn't there so can't really give feedback but I trust you and Alwarrens' judgement enough to vote them up based on your comments Smile

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 04-15-2014

(04-15-2014, 02:11 PM)Setup link Wrote:Sorry you had to repeat so many times as you say, I must have not heard you correct or was distracted by RL things around me, so i didn't feel enforced or micromanaged.
In firefight's I can hardly hear anyone talking at all (as it should be..) I use JSRS sound mod and the firing sounds are very loud there, I would say even too loud, so I miss all the talking on TS while under fire.
If I try to make TS louder, and in game sound lower - for firefights, then it's totally out of balance for me...
Anyhow, It was a good long mission and good leading by you.

Have a look at the Teamspeak Volume Control plugin, as it allows you to set a percentage (e.g. 80%) which it will drop the game volume to (not by, as I learnt) when someone is speaking, so you still get to have loud game sounds when no-one's talking but it's easier to hear them when they are.

http://addons.teamspeak.com/directory/addon/miscellaneous-plugins/Volume-Control-(Windows-only).html

Re: The Debriefing Thread - setup - 04-15-2014

(04-15-2014, 03:56 PM)doveman link Wrote:Have a look at the Teamspeak Volume Control plugin, as it allows you to set a percentage (e.g. 80%) which it will drop the game volume to (not by, as I learnt) when someone is speaking, so you still get to have loud game sounds when no-one's talking but it's easier to hear them when they are.

http://addons.teamspeak.com/directory/addon/miscellaneous-plugins/Volume-Control-(Windows-only).html

Thanks Doveman,
I will have a look at it.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Rund - 04-15-2014

Quote: I'm kinda touched by these comments, I thought my missions were complete crap... The reason for missing ambient firefights is that I wanted to keep the missions working without major lag. My missions generally also use heavy scripting to keep the AI on the field minimum.

Our group has been mainly playing with Alive mod nowadays so haven't done that much mission making. But I think I will make some missions in the future encouraged by you.

Seems it works to comment there  ;D

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 04-15-2014

(04-15-2014, 11:25 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote:Seems it works to comment there  ;D

I know how disappointed I am that nobody comments on my missions. Even if people want to criticize, it's better than nothing. One of my missions has a down-vote, and I don't even know why.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 04-16-2014

(04-15-2014, 11:25 PM)rundll.exe link Wrote:Seems it works to comment there  ;D

Yeah, it really takes very little time to upvote and comment, and encourages mission makers to keep making good missions.  Plus, you can comment if there's an issue so they can fix it faster.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 04-16-2014

(04-16-2014, 02:20 AM)MavericK link Wrote:Yeah, it really takes very little time to upvote and comment, and encourages mission makers to keep making good missions.  Plus, you can comment if there's an issue so they can fix it faster.

Indeed. And nothing spurs more development than encouragement, even if it's criticism...

Well, on to last nights games:

Needle in a Haystack

All in all, solid leading by Victor. The forest was unfortunately crawling with OPFOR, and as such, we had little chances there, but that was unforeseeable, since we also couldn't spot anything in that area from the top of the ridge... bad luck.

One remark, though, if we're in such a situation, the only thing we can do is retreat, preferably to somewhere with a lot of cover.

Also, when you drive down a road and suddenly a BRDM pops up in front of you, break hard, all get out and open fire... I was able to jump out and destroy the BRDM, but the cannon already ripped our Jeep apart.

Block Party

A hint for anyone who would like to lead once and not get lost: Defense missions are mostly easy to lead since they just involve staying in one location and shooting everything that moves.
This one was no different. We killed the tanks, and in the end, only 10 or so enemies were left (of course, we were already decimated at that point). That damn APC flanked us good.

Also, I think we should make it a rule that medics don't take mission-critical weapons, like AT launchers. If armor pops up at the time the medic is healing someone, it can be very problematic, to say the least.

Air Patrol

Solid leading by freeman. There wasn't much that could have been done once the tank spotted us. If there's nothing between you and an angry tank's guns, you're dead meat, and this was no exception. The AT shot was just a little bit too high, and that was our undoing...

The only thing that we could have done different would have been to go to the FOB and stock up on AT munitions and weapons. But yeah, it's easier to think of that after the mission. Well, next try, hehe

Overall, good games, although we didn't make any mission to the end... oh well Big Grin