Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 02-07-2014

(02-07-2014, 12:33 PM)Variable link Wrote:Too bad that boat was locked. Outlawz reached it and could have destroyed both choppers with it... Next time

The problem here was that we were too focused on the camp. When I looked around, I suddenly saw an enemy patrol right next to us, about 50 meter... they spotted us at the same moment I spotted them, and since I was looking through binoks, I was too slow and was shot immediately...

I think we should make a habit of doing a 360 defense even when scouting out targets. At least three team members should be assigned to watch the sides and back, while the rest scouts the target. That way, they will not be able to flank us that easily.

At the very least, one team member should constantly check the sides and back.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 02-07-2014

(02-07-2014, 12:33 PM)Variable link Wrote:Doveman check links in this thread's opening post, they include the SWEC website that logs the missions that are played on the server. Whenever I write a debriefing, I check it.

Cool, thanks for the tip. It even shows that I actually got some kills most missions, contrary to what Arma's debrief screen always seems to tell me Smile

Black Knights

I think this was the one where we were meant to meet Bravo on the beach at the start but they got killed by helos or something. Not sure if there's much we could have done to prevent this but it was an objective which makes me think we were meant to.

(02-07-2014, 12:56 PM)Varanon link Wrote:I think we should make a habit of doing a 360 defense even when scouting out targets. At least three team members should be assigned to watch the sides and back, while the rest scouts the target. That way, they will not be able to flank us that easily.

At the very least, one team member should constantly check the sides and back.

Sounds like a good idea. We probably need two people, one to check 6'o clock to 9'o clock on the left and another to check  6'o clock to 3'o clock on the right, with the rest covering the front and out to 10'o clock/2'o clock.

The only thing is it will be probably be hard for the two checking behind and the flanks to keep up with the rest, so we'll need to consider that and slow down the pace to avoid the team getting separated.

(02-07-2014, 12:08 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Saboteur

A very atmospherical mission. Unfortunately I crashed and had to start from the beginning, but it resulted in me having an MX with a scope ^^.
The downfall of this one was probably that the assault team was prematurely discovered, otherwise drawing fire from the hill might have worked. Looking forward to the next try.

As we were heading towards the sea approaching the base, so with it on our left, I spotted a camp on our right with several infantry which I called in but I think you said you had it covered from the hill. I'm wondering if the assault team got flanked from there after we started assaulting the base though, meaning we were taking fire from two directions.

It might be an idea to split the assault team in two parts next time, so that if the enemy has one part pinned down with fire, the other part are able to engage them and give the first part some breathing space to move, or each part just focuses on separate groups of enemies which will still stop them all firing on one position, which combined with the fire from the hill team should help. It depends on whether it's possible to find two suitable vantage points to provide both parts of the assault team with good overwatch of the base though.

Also, having an agreed way for the assault team leader to quickly communicate to the hill team where the assault team is taking fire from or where the biggest threat is, so that they can concentrate on that area, might be useful. So assuming the assault team is attacking from the same position as last time, i.e. opposite the hill team, "Sea, far" would indicate the part of the base nearest the sea and furthest from the assault position, "Centre, near" for the middle of the base and nearest the assault team and "inland, half-way", well you get my drift.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 02-08-2014

Glad I got to catch the end(ish) of the sesson...I have been missing playing ArmA 3 the last few weeks.

Saboteur is a fun one...we got really close to completing it, adn I think the "sniper" team on the hill worked out really well.  I ended up getting killed by a close enemy that snuck up the hill, because although I heard the gunfire, I could not tell where it was coming from due to that extremely annoying ArmA 3 sound bug.  >Sad  I really hope they work on the audio issues in the game.

I'm glad Black Knights went well.  It's pretty difficult attacking a hilltop camp like that, not to mention doing it twice with helicopters circling conspicuously overhead.  Big Grin

That last tank mission that Outlawz, Variable and myself tried wasn't bad, but we did get killed by some missiles from something like 400m away, so I'm not sure there was a lot we could have done to avoid that.

Slightly off-topic, but game related:

I haven't played for awhile but overall performance seemed pretty good.  I have been reading that performance has degraded in the later dev builds, but it seemed at least on par with what it used to be for me.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - ck-claw - 02-08-2014

(02-08-2014, 06:43 AM)MavericK link Wrote:I could not tell where it was coming from due to that extremely annoying ArmA 3 sound bug.

Apparently LordJarhead has located this Bug  Smile

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 02-08-2014

Saboteur

1. I counted 3 CSAT and two patrolling at the ammo dump. That should give us 5 Katibas to use and the other 3 guys can pick up the extra ammo. I went into Camp Tempest with 4 9mm mags.

Also when we line up to drop a bunch of unsuspecting enemies, we should do that right away, I think they spotted us just because we were starring at them for so long.

2. More explosives for that patroling APC, I'm pretty sure I saw it at the end of that valley to the north when we were moving into position.

3. I think the team to the south is further and higher, before we move in closer, they should mark patrols and such. We really were so preoccupied with the camp that we missed a patrol right next to us that got Varanon. I was gonna report him dead but forgot if it was him or Alwarren.

4. From the north side you can see when the barracks door opens, if we go for kill them all, have one guy watching just that door. I got one or two coming out, but SMGs are shit at stopping people.

5. I went through an opening in the cliffs and along the beach to get to the boat pier where I was 10m away from the chopper nearest to the sea, could be an approach route for a third team? I could have blown up one I think, but I made the mistake of running instead of crawling into cover after setting up some Claymores. Need the CSAT to be looking the other way for that approach to work.

6. Could we clear the base by getting all of CSAT to run out and follow a bait team?

At the end of this mission, my performance went to shit and stayed that way for the next two missions. I think I'll restart ArmA3 next time, not sure what's going on.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 02-08-2014

[Moved the technical discussion regarding a possible memory leak to the technical board]

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 02-10-2014

Well, mixed bag on today's session...lots of buggy missions and/or ArmA 2 idiosyncrasies.

The one with the mortar...I tried everything I could to get that stupid thing to work.  Short distance should have worked, but it wouldn't allow me to fire within the proper firing distance.  Switched to Far and it allowed me to fire on the town, but it fired and the explosions were nowhere near the target, though on the artillery computer it said they were still inbound.  Total weirdness.  It felt like we were doing pretty well until those  APCs came and wiped out the last of us.  Tough mission with that thrown in there at the end, not to mention that full squad strategically placed to the East where you have to take the mortar for it to be (theoretically) effective.

First convoy mission, AI shot us through bushes instantly after we detonated the satchels...sucked.

Second convoy mission, bugged out, never saw the convoy at all.

Mission where we had to get the Shilka, the thing drove off up onto the hill before we even reached the town.  I guess we engaged a few enemies before then, causing the AI to get in the vehicle, but we couldn't even see the Shilka from anywhere around the town.  Seems a bit bogus to give you little to no time after engaging an enemy (not even in the town, mind you) before the crew hops in and renders the Shilka more or less unable to be captured (since a single LAW hit destroyed it entirely).

Last mission with Misha and Horus (destroy 2 bridges and HQ)...4 AM in September is much brighter than I thought.  Big Grin  Should have taken some longer-ranged weapons and drew the enemy out of the town.  We successfully snuck in, but got killed by guys placed in buildings around the HQ.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Phantom - 02-10-2014

Operation Bone Crusher

Looks like they shot gwyn then I kill the dshkm car that shot him to be blown to bits by an AGS car somewhere. I guess our team was pretty much blown to shred besides for Variable left and it went to hell from there.

Provocation

Nice firefight in the beginning, but maybe if we take a some lesser amount of casualty it would've been nicer. I shouldn't have call for the shots on the fuel station and save the TOWs for the incoming APCs instead. I thought we were almost clear but there's a good amount of infantries left and a few vehicles too. Lots of enemies though, maybe if we drive all the cars away as soon as possible it might be more effective instead of wait for the fight to begin, don't know.

Starting to think of it, if the objective is clear out all enemies and destroy 2 objectives, I honestly feel that a better design choice would be to do one or the other but not both. Either its destroy the item and bug out or clear it and the objective is secured anyways, but that's my personal opinion about that now after looking at it.

Current Resistance

Technically, hiding behind a bush and clicking a button to blow up a convoy is technically a good idea. Like, who would know where you're hiding if a bomb blew up out of nowhere and you're on the other side of the bush out of sight... Nope, AI has no trouble shooting you through a bush. It seems as if an AI run over your ordinance and die, they'll immediately detect your location no matter how well hidden you may be. They knew you did it in which they shouldn't.

Stop Dead

Mission failed because we drove off faster in a truck what? The convoy never reached its destination, but we all know Sander never makes mistake, it's the addons  Wink  Wink

Needle Beam

Ok, so we got to kill the crewmen before they board the Shilka. I guess we found a repair truck but one LAW is all it takes to kill a Shilka, mission fail. Now if there's a detected by AI trigger, I'm sure we can't avoid that since we got engaged and ambushed from the woods and out through town so of course the AI would hear us and drive the Shilka off already. So how do we sneak up to it and kill the crew before they board the Shilka or would an RPG do lesser damage than a LAW or are CWR2 rockets 1 hit killers on pretty much all that it hits.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 02-10-2014

Also, in Provocation, why the hell did it take something like half a dozen satchels PLUS 3 TOW missiles to destroy that fuel station?  Totally ridiculous.

I get what Variable said about leaving it alone until the end, and that's fine, but regardless...what if you end up without enough explosives to finish the mission because it takes so damn many?

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Phantom - 02-10-2014

I think the car has extra back in the spawn. A lot of extra.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 02-11-2014

(02-10-2014, 06:08 AM)Phantom link Wrote:I think the car has extra back in the spawn. A lot of extra.

Yeah, but you are looking at half a dozen or more satchels to blow that thing.  And if the car gets destroyed?  Any way you look at it, it's silly.

Don't want to beat a dead horse here, though, so we can move on now.  ;D

Re: The Debriefing Thread - HKFlash - 02-14-2014

Yesterday session was great as usual. It was great to be back among the comrades.  Wink

Re: The Debriefing Thread - ck-claw - 02-14-2014

(02-14-2014, 08:55 PM)HKFlash link Wrote:Yesterday session was great as usual. It was great to be back among the comrades.  Wink

Wondered where ya been buddy, was only gonna message you on steam and hey presto you hop on TS-was great to see ya back!  8)