Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 01-31-2014

Kavala Rising
Well apart from the bugs and the lengthy event-less insertion on foot we had some nice close range firefights in the fog. I am really enjoying Arma 3 AI. About the first engagement - When we are detected and engaged in close range like we did we need to immediately put down a lot of fire towards the enemy so they will get down and loose their targets and accuracy (it works). That means that everybody fires AT LEAST one magazine towards the enemy EVEN if no target is visible. Especially machine-gunners. That should be followed by grenades (again, one from each) and a flanking maneuver which will be commanded by the leader.

Steal the Bomb
Now this is a great mission. The battle we had on the truck base was awesome. I was so mad for allowing myself to get shot. While trying to fix spectating mode I somehow managed to respawn in the insertion point (don't worry, with  lack of grenade, and lack of will to kill  immersion and ask someone to shoot me, I just tagged along to see what happens, didn't do much, and intentionally got myself killed by the enemy to get back to spectating.

Note for next time - apparently you can engage in conversation with the Iranian trooper at the base's checkpoint. He asks you what's your business there and then you have three reply options in the action menu. They were something in the lines of :
1. Fuck off
2. I know your name, your rank and your commanding officer, let us through.
3. -Don't remember-

I selected 1, and he told me to get lost. Next time I'll select 2. Maybe this will allow us to enter the base and get up to the trucks. Maybe even drive them out the base? I guess not, but it will be fun to try and see what happens!

The map indicate two checkpoints on the chopper base as well, we need to try to cheat our way into there as well ans see what happens!

Reinforcing Alpha
Can anyone edit the mission and get the rescue force a bit closer? Not too much though...

Annonymous AA
Wonderful mission yet again ck. Loved the firefights, it was pure fun. You actually had us freak out by the Ifrit on the road and us not having ATs and then immediately came under fire by a bloke with an RPG!! You cheeky bastard!

Great games guys, keep it up!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Outlawz7 - 02-01-2014

(01-31-2014, 09:06 PM)Variable link Wrote:Note for next time - apparently you can engage in conversation with the Iranian trooper at the base's checkpoint. He asks you what's your business there and then you have three reply options in the action menu. They were something in the lines of :
1. Fuck off
2. I know your name, your rank and your commanding officer, let us through.
3. -Don't remember-

I selected 1, and he told me to get lost. Next time I'll select 2. Maybe this will allow us to enter the base and get up to the trucks. Maybe even drive them out the base? I guess not, but it will be fun to try and see what happens!

I saw a hint that said "you are not undercover anymore" when we started the firefight at the first base. I'm guessing bluffing at the second one won't work after that, so it's probably better to just steal the trucks at the first one.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Phantom - 02-03-2014

RHS Wood Stock

Yay, we finally beat it. Last time when we got annhilated was AI on 0.5? I think 0.625 is working good. We still ran like hell back to the BMP when Variable got hit and got some guys getting shot up. Good thing I can fix it as engineer and we manage to salvage the extra BMP as well. Can't go wrong with more toys for the boys.

Oggy Men

Looks like I balance it enough this time. For some reason the OG7s inside the backpacks were gone and there were PG7s instead. Ghorband got bombarded with OG7s and mortars. I still put a handful of snipers and MG emplacements but as I thought the OG7s and mortars should do the trick. I wasn't expecting the ambush at the mortar site but that all went well.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - MavericK96 - 02-03-2014

RHS Wood Stock

Good mission, first time for me playing it.  Kind of one of those "run around for awhile and find things" missions, which is fun, but with people waiting it feels a bit long.  The weather desync was really bizarre in that mission for some reason...first it would be totally clear, then 5 seconds later I could barely see 50m.  Then, clear again another 10 seconds later.

Oggy Men

Much more balanced than the last time I played it, which was quite some time ago with all of the trucks and stuff in that one far town, and that base as well.  Still have that weirdness with destroyed buildings where the static weapons can be floating in the air and still manned, but overall it worked out well for us.  It might have been nice to have at least one pair of binocs or something so that we don't have to sit around trying to figure out where a sniper is with Lee Enfields, but it did add tension to the mission, so it was fine.

Balance-wise, with the enemy skill set at .625 I think is just about the sweet spot.  I might even see it going up to .65 or something, because at times it seemed as though I would see enemies running around not very far from us and still not able to hit us.  And like, in that first mission, it seems as though those trucks (at least the DShK one) that surprised us on the road should have annihilated us, but they never even got a shot off.  Not saying we didn't get engaged a fair amount (and at the start of that mission it was REALLY tense and awesome) but sometimes it felt a little easy.  Maybe I'm alone in thinking that, though.  Maybe we're just battle-hardened by superhuman AI and now comparatively it feels a lot easier, who knows?  Tongue

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 02-03-2014

Extraction on Cold Call was Hollywood Movie crazy. Did anybody record it?

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 02-05-2014

Congratulations comrades, last night we topped the 1,300 (yes, you read it right) completed missions mark. That includes OFP, Arma 2 and Arma 3 missions. We played some Arma 1 but it wasn't exciting enough even to keep track of it. Good job everyone!

Cache Dispenser
It was fun commanding a full force of AI. They were somewhere in between a cannon fodder to an effective force. I always thought that once we run out of missions that fit our player count, we will play the big ones and command full squads of AIs. How do you like this idea? I suppose not all like to baby sit some AI, but missions with such a big force tend to be a lot more eventful and "war like".

co10_a2rw_pk91 (the one with the car bombs and the road block)
Good job guys, you gave them a nice knife fight!

Beach Head
Awesome mission! However, we should try it again after a server restart and play against some more responsive AI.

Ground Bait
I think we should have taken it slower, and keep the Jackal further back. The HMG on top of it got a powerful scope, so getting closer just makes it harder for the gunner to spot targets since he's got a wider angle to cover. It also exposes him to RPG fire, and shortens its response time. This mission is a tough nut to crack mission though...

Sixty Fours Field
I fucked up on this one, but I think I have the solution for it now. Misha couldn't enter the base from the west since there is a fence there. But since the western approach seems to be the best (we attacked from the north), we will just make a hole in it with one of the many satchels we have. That might work and get us fast to the computer before the data about the locations of the Hind bases is wiped out.

Oil War
Great mission that really punishes you for moving too slow. Next time we move faster on the fuel depot, AND keep the tank with us.

Cold Snap Ambush
Great ambush execution. Although it seems like not everybody detonated their explosives?

(02-03-2014, 06:05 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Extraction on Cold Call was Hollywood Movie crazy. Did anybody record it?
Gwyn, did you happen to record that one?

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Gwynbleidd - 02-05-2014

I wasn't there on sunday night unfortunately.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 02-06-2014

Cache Dispenser

Agreed, controlling AI was nice for a change, although they pissed me off by staying behind most of the time. Eventually lost my entire squad to flanking fire.

Beach Head

Agreed. Great mission, we need more of that "This is War" feeling. Too bad they weren't returning fire in the beginning. Definitely should try it again.

Ground Bait

Difficult to say. I think that the first time we tried it the assault itself went quite well, but of course there is next to no cover anywhere. Someone proposed the southern approach, but I don't think that  is a good idea, on the slope of that hill we'll be pretty much exposed with our pants down.

Sixty Four Field

Need a machine gun and a sniper there.  Blowing a hole in the fence is probably the best way in.

Oild War

It might have been beneficial to have the tank along. At least it could have done something about the three BMP's. How we should deal with the four T-90's, I have no freaking clue though.

Cold Snap Ambush

Yeah, I think not everyone detonated. The Shilkas were pretty late, so the convoy was drawn out. Too bad, but I really like the idea of "spreading" the satchels to different people, it makes controlled attacks against the vehicles possible. Given enough people and charges, a second row of explosives can be used effectively against enemies dismounting from vehicles, as well as killing leftovers.

In the end I hurried too much and ran smack into an ambush.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 02-06-2014

Yeah, controlling AI could be fun. We could have every human player controlling a squad for some rather large battles if people were up for it.

I've read there's some issues with friendly AI (won't stand up from prone, running back to towns to pick up ammo rather than scavenging from nearby bodies) so we might want to check if these are fixed or if there are mods that fix them and make sure everyone has them before trying this, so we don't get frustrated with them doing stupid stuff  :o

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 02-06-2014

(02-06-2014, 08:40 PM)doveman link Wrote:I've read there's some issues with friendly AI (won't stand up from prone, running back to towns to pick up ammo rather than scavenging from nearby bodies) so we might want to check if these are fixed or if there are mods that fix them and make sure everyone has them before trying this, so we don't get frustrated with them doing stupid stuff  :o

These issues only affect Arma 3, this was Arma 2 Wink

Re: The Debriefing Thread - doveman - 02-07-2014

(02-06-2014, 08:58 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:These issues only affect Arma 3, this was Arma 2 Wink

They sound too similar, it's very confusing Wink

Anyway, if there aren't any major issues with controlling AI in Arma 2, all the better Smile

I'm trying very hard to think of something on-topic to write but I can barely remember what missions we just played, let alone what they were called. I blame the alcohol. Or the drugs (strictly prescription only children). ;D

Was it the SAS one which had the KA-60 that spotted us? Nice mission but we should definitely make it a priority to shoot that thing down as early as possible next time, to stop it ruining everything by spotting us half way through the mission.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - ck-claw - 02-07-2014

(02-07-2014, 05:13 AM)doveman link Wrote:Was it the SAS one which had the KA-60 that spotted us? Nice mission but we should definitely make it a priority to shoot that thing down as early as possible next time, to stop it ruining everything by spotting us half way through the mission.

Pretty sure there has been an update where the chopper spotting has been addressed/adjusted.

(02-07-2014, 05:13 AM)doveman link Wrote:I'm trying very hard to think of something on-topic to write but I can barely remember what missions we just played, let alone what they were called. I blame the alcohol.

Sry, i didnt make it last night-i also usually have the above issue  ;D

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 02-07-2014

Lion's Claw

First attempt, we were missing the guys in Camp #1. Second attempt later that evening, the chopper spooted us. I hate instant terminators like that,

Altis Airport Assault

The key element that went wrong here was team communication. It struck me in this mission that the only two people that were ever talking was Varanon and myself. Nobody said a word otherwise, and consequently the assault on the airport failed miserably. Communicate, people. We're not playing single player here.

Derrick

Total annihilation. I guess just storming the place wasn't the best idea Big Grin

The Guns of Altis

Great mission. Not much to say about it, well executed.

No Power to Persians

First try... let's not talk about it.
Second try... I think we did well, up to the point were we had to destroy the stuff. Which we couldn't because a) we didn't have any explosives and b) dead bodies disappeared. After that, it was just a matter of time when the CSAT overwhelmed us.

Dogged Prsopector

It's a shame that the server crashed on this one. It was pretty intense, and we were pretty on the edge with Outlawz completely out of ammo and me with my little peashooter SMG. I think we should have tried to disengage earlier when we were at the wall, but then, they were literally on all sides of us. I don't know what ultimately shot me.

Saboteur

A very atmospherical mission. Unfortunately I crashed and had to start from the beginning, but it resulted in me having an MX with a scope ^^.
The downfall of this one was probably that the assault team was prematurely discovered, otherwise drawing fire from the hill might have worked. Looking forward to the next try.

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 02-07-2014

(02-07-2014, 05:13 AM)doveman link Wrote:I'm trying very hard to think of something on-topic to write but I can barely remember what missions we just played, let alone what they were called.
Doveman check links in this thread's opening post, they include the SWEC website that logs the missions that are played on the server. Whenever I write a debriefing, I check it.

(02-07-2014, 12:08 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Lion's Claw
Let's update this as ck suggests and see how it goes.

(02-07-2014, 12:08 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Altis Airport Assault

The key element that went wrong here was team communication. It struck me in this mission that the only two people that were ever talking was Varanon and myself. Nobody said a word otherwise, and consequently the assault on the airport failed miserably. Communicate, people. We're not playing single player here.
I think Blindog and I had lots of fun. It was cool silently killing those sentries and sniping the base. Unfortunately, we couldn't spot the vehicle that naded you guys. It was well camouflaged.
Is this mission worth another try out of the perspective of the assault team?

(02-07-2014, 12:08 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Derrick
Total annihilation. I guess just storming the place wasn't the best idea Big Grin
hehe yeah... I just had the urge to charge through the smoke Smile

(02-07-2014, 12:08 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:No Power to Persians
First try... let's not talk about it.
Second try... I think we did well, up to the point were we had to destroy the stuff. Which we couldn't because a) we didn't have any explosives and b) dead bodies disappeared. After that, it was just a matter of time when the CSAT overwhelmed us.
I'll check with Bardosy, the author, on both issues. The firefight at the power plant was one of the most intense firefights I ever had. And the list of the most intense firefights I had is getting more populated with more and more Arma 3 battles- that's excellent! Smile

(02-07-2014, 12:08 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Dogged Prsopector
It's a shame that the server crashed on this one. It was pretty intense, and we were pretty on the edge with Outlawz completely out of ammo and me with my little peashooter SMG. I think we should have tried to disengage earlier when we were at the wall, but then, they were literally on all sides of us. I don't know what ultimately shot me.
Is there anyway to check if it's the mission's fault? I would really like to play this one again...

(02-07-2014, 12:08 PM)Alwarren link Wrote:Saboteur
A very atmospherical mission. Unfortunately I crashed and had to start from the beginning, but it resulted in me having an MX with a scope ^^.
The downfall of this one was probably that the assault team was prematurely discovered, otherwise drawing fire from the hill might have worked. Looking forward to the next try.
Too bad that boat was locked. Outlawz reached it and could have destroyed both choppers with it... Next time only one guy from the assault team  will move forward to observe. Can't let them spot us.

Black Knights
Great execution on this one. Well done Maverick!

Re: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 02-07-2014

(02-07-2014, 12:33 PM)Variable link Wrote:Is this mission worth another try out of the perspective of the assault team?

I do think so. The insertion is a tad too long because it doesn't really involve much, although Varanon spotted a random guy at a gas station. I don't mind long insertions, if they manage to build up atmosphere. This one sadly didn'T.

Quote:hehe yeah... I just had the urge to charge through the smoke Smile

Hehe, yeah.

Quote:I'll check with Bardosy, the author, on both issues. The firefight at the power plant was one of the most intense firefights I ever had. And the list of the most intense firefights I had is getting more populated with more and more Arma 3 battles- that's excellent! Smile

Agreed. I said it before, and I say it again, I am starting to like Arma 3 in spite of the quirks and issues. There are a few things that annoy the crap out of me (like, no briefing gear), but all in all, we're getting there. With Arma 2 content available and/or upgraded contemporary weapons and equipment, this will be even better.

Quote:Is there anyway to check if it's the mission's fault? I would really like to play this one again...

No idea except trying again I suppose. Things went smoothly up until that point, but then it started to get yellow chains, and the server was gone for a few seconds... No idea what happened.

Quote:Black Knights
Great execution on this one. Well done Maverick!

Didn't we finish that one before? I distinctively remember reaching LZ Baldy for helo extract. Good mission anyway, I liked it.