Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
The Debriefing Thread - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CiA Coop Nights (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: The Debriefing Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2437)

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Evans - 09-25-2016

Great job with the ace tutorial.
Really helpful

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 09-26-2016

(09-25-2016, 08:48 PM)Evans Wrote: Great job with the ace tutorial.
Really helpful
My pleasure ;-)

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 09-27-2016

Rescue
(David Armstrong)

Black bear did a good job killing the tank. This should have been the opportunity for us to advance further in this mission.

Unfortuately, the team that stormed the town had next to now cover from the machine gun team, and the BRDM made mincemeat of us.

Too bad, it had a good start.

Ambush the Convoy
(Ops lead)

Somehow, this mission went south really far. After we've set up, the damn Humvee saw us and opened up, which resulted in Bravo casualties, and a general slew of reinforcements coming in from Rogain. Sadly, that was something I didn't really consider, namely that Rogain was very close oand reinforcements would be on top of us very soon. Basically, they had us killed before the convoy even arrived...

Wild Waves
(grunt in Alpha)

We were quickly overwhelmed and taken down. Too many enemies in too close vicinity.

What could have helped would have been the grenade launcher on the boat. Unfortunately, Misha decided to join the boat crew to the ground crew, and if I may say so, "because I am too lazy for proper communication" isn't a good reason. Result: All dead. It's true the boat would not have been able to see much from the water because of the trees, but at least it could have made it rain 40mm grenades.

Ace in the Sleeve
(Spotter)

Alwarren as leader of the sniper team and me set up shop on a hill overlooking the combat area, providing intel and fire support. Unfortunately, I was pretty useless in terms of firepower, because 800 m shots with a 5.56 are rarely lethal. So I limited myself to measuring distances for Alwarren. Sniping in ACE is a challenge, but he was able to dispatch quite some bad guys (especially those pesky static machine gun).

At one point, the ground team was pretty much decimated, and since we had a lead on the stolen vehicle (follow the oil stains), Alwarren and me took after it. After searching the next town, we were able to pick up the trail again, which lead us into the mountain pass north of the town, were we were ambushed, but were able to kill our attackers. What followed was a high speed ride home through basically darkness but luckily smooth terrain. Mission accomplished, but under heavy losses. A moment of silence for Alpha.

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 09-27-2016

Note: I've updated the first post by Variable with the link to the mission log of the secondary server, so you can find out what missions we played on this one, too

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Stagwine - 09-27-2016

Wild Waves
(Sailor --> grunt, (Variable)) 

I was in the boat with Variable captaining the battlecruiser. Upon landing we had orders to join the infantry on the ground. We had intense firefight at first compound, and I was killed due frag grenade. I am not sure if you guys actually completed this, but if not, I wouldn't mind trying it with boat in support. 

I too made a mission where gunboat supported assault (Volga boatmen) but it can be hard to hit anything accurately if there is even slight sea state. However we might have had angle on the first compound, and what you miss in accuracy, can be replaced in volume. 

Ace in the sleeve II 
(Engineer, (McGregor)) 

This was intense one. With McGregor leading assault team and team FHQ in overwatch, we set up to assault the town. Upon approaching we soon noticed we are in the minefi..a mine restricted area. Whops. Backtrack. Detour. Another approach. 

Sniper team reported multiple threats, including AAA and a BTR. Our AT operator (Variable) took a shot on mobile Zu-23 truck. A hit! We reached first set of buildings and had one heck of a skirmish in the village. In the process we had several casualties, including TL, but somehow managed to eliminate the BTR. 

We took cover in buildings  and eventually we found truck, which was empty and Misha recovered files from enemy command post. We had soon new intel regarding whereabouts of our target, but I was (again) grenaded with rest of my team before we could do anything about it. 

Watching from the sky, sniper team did great job with continuing the mission, and eventually, retrieving the cargo.

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Mjolnir - 10-24-2016

Just do a couple, specifically the most memorable bits:

Seven-Up:
Autorifleman (Then secondary Zeus)
Didn't really do much, though I will point out that maybe the team leader shouldn't lead from the front when going through somewhere as likely to have a contact as the canyon, its luck as much as anything the we didn't lose the commander when we got to the train.

The more interesting bit was when I jumped in the second Zeus slot. I jumped into the last guy at the bridge and threw some rounds you way and died. Then I noticed that a patrol was heading directly for the vehicles, and the timing couldn't be worse as they got there just as you did (although if they got there early, I'd have jumped into the leader and held them there cause they wouldnt just walk past in real life). The first guy I jumped in was shot pretty quickly, but the mdeic who I jumped in after gave you some trouble, while I had many opportunities to shoot one or more of you, I figured near misses would be more interesting. Which is part of the reason why I was hosing away on automatic. I didn't actually die as him, but I was hit a couple of times.

Also, at the end you came so close to getting whacked by a technical at the end too.

Game of Phones:
Glorious Leader
First, I like the idea of being able to change grouping, splitting large groups and maybe changing groupings as needed, its one of those things I really like about ACE. I think in reality, 4 people is the most a single person can properly micromanage, and being able to nominate a 2ic to take command of a second team in the case of large teams. Even if you can't split the teams due to scripting, maybe we should consider splitting down into ~4 man elements just using radio channels in future when in bigger groupings. 

The first attack: Basically, it was a textbook section attack. One element (in this case, fire team) suppresses, the other flanks and assaults. My favourite way of ending a firefight like that is the glorious ultraviolence of getting up close to a pinned enemy and riddling them with bullets. It has a finality that an extended firefight does not. One point is that I should have told Alwarren(?) to flank straight off, because his initial approach was directly under our line of fire, I kind of made the assumption that he would have come in from a flank and we nearly paid for it.

From there, the idea was to infiltrate around and replay this first attack (using a 90deg angle between the 2 elements, allowing for the safest approach for the assault element, plus it leaves a lot of autonomy for the other team leader, which is much more fun for everyone involved) it didn't really work out due to running into multiple patrols. From there, I figured that the enemy would probably converge on us, so I tried to keep us on the move (hindered by stamina). I am of the opinion that momentum is as important as anything in a firefight, which explains my always forward style of fighting. 

After fighting our way through to the camp that was almost exactly where the split point was going to be, we were still in contact, so I tried to bound forward to straight assault the camp. Between the wind making shooting difficult, and the sheer numbers of enemies, we just started getting picked off one by one. Once it was down to me and Etzu, the plan went to get in, shoot the commander, steal the USB and then steal the helicopter and go find a cell tower. But that died when myself and the machinegunner killed each other.

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 11-21-2016

I haven't written any of these in a long time, so I guess it's time again to restart it.

SRCS Random Assault
(Rifleman)

I think that the team split was too early. IMO (and that is in hindsight of course which is always easy) it would be better to move to the overwatch position as a team, and leave and overwatch element there while the rest of the team heads north off the hill and around to the beach. 

Also, given how small the AO was, it was somewhat expectable that the whole of the enemy force hears and investigates the shooting. We should have turned south at the first sign, or moved the overwatch element back to us immediately, they were compromised and couldn't fulfill their task anymore anyway.

Stewed Rabbit
(Machinegunner)

My career in the CDF was rather short lived, and I think there are two reasons for it.
1) The BMP-2 cannon's overpressure caused a lot of ruptured eardrums and injury. Better to only use MG at this point.
2) I think the enemy engaged the APC with rifle grenades.

I have no idea how to prevent #2, no idea if we used the smoke screen or not. There might be a better, more protected disembarkation area, or maybe we can get out further away from the town, although it's all open field and does not offer any cover.

I got taken out pretty early on

Goat Song
(Charlie Engineer)

The attempt wasn't too bad, after all we got pretty far. The big issue is the gunship (apart from the HMG's and the infantry firing at us), if we can't get that gunship down we're pretty much screwed.

Goat Song
(A benevolent (haha) god)

As you found out in the meantime, there is a single AA solider in the camp and that is an opportunity to take down the gunship IF moving fast enough. But it isn't worth getting bogged down if the gunship is taken out by AT, so I would think that the camp can be stormed if and only if the gunship is not taken care of.
(not meant as a spoiler. I don't really know if that will work)

FIA Rescue Mission
(Marksman)

I was hit pretty early by a grenade. I saw someone of the team (Sempri I think) get a rifle grenade to the face, I yelled "We lost someone" and promptly followed up on grenade-to-facing.

The Silver Key
(Helicopter Pilot)

This was a stressful mission for me, in a good way. When it was over I was really sweating.

I think I did a decent job, although I certainly was too close to the speedboat that finally got us. The Mi-17 was also a tough nut to crack. But we managed to get a lot of the vehicles, and the coordination between McGregor and myself went flawlessly, with McG changing sides as I made flyovers over the mission area.

The speedboat damaged our rotor and engine, and I had a warning tone in my ears and smoke coming out of our tail. I had spotted trucks in the hangar, so we set down on one of the helipads hoping for a repair truck. We found one, plus a fuel truck, so we repaired and then refueled one of the choppers on the pads (it had more ammo than our original one). With that, we took back to the air. Mission accomplished, only one KIA (murdered by action menu).

Great mission!

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Gwynbleidd - 11-22-2016

Well, now that I look at it on the video, it looks worse than I thought, it played out a lot faster in my head last night.
Maybe because there is no build-up to extraction in the video, it all looks kinda underwhelming to me,
but by the time I've got to you Alwarren, I was on the edge of my seat, I think adrenaline was flowing out of my ears.

I just caught a slight glimpse of you in that grey suit with a weird helmet to my right, and completely panicked (thought you were that urban csat that wear grey camo, even had a katiba)

Of course it doesn't justify it, especially considering how many hours I have in Arma, but at least you have some background of how it happened, and sorry once again  : )

The part with Varanon, I was so sure someone was about to jump out behind that corner in front. 
I would've bandaged him anyway if he didn't wake up, but since he did, I aborted immediately to check for enemies.

I thought we would rush straight for the chopper, and he would bandage inside (since you can bleed for a while if it's only one wound in basic), but he was out for a while, and didn't know the chopper is still on the ground, so I'm not surprised he decided to bandage first.

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Alwarren - 11-22-2016

No worries, White Wolf. Things like that happen. No hard feelings :-)

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

RE: The Debriefing Thread - McGregor - 11-22-2016

I would have capped his ass too Wink

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Varanon - 11-25-2016

CSI Bluefor
(Alpha Lead)

Well, it worked, that's the good part. It was a pretty shitty location with little cover for Alpha, so basically everything was in the open and shot at us or Bravo. Final confontration was at a barn with three guys in it. The last one managed to shoot me, but that guy was Iron Man for sure, he survived three frag grenades to the face, two magazines of 5.56 ammo to the face, and another belt of 6.5 going through the wall he was camping behind. He only said "LOL" and shot me, then probably tripped and impaled himself on his own massive errection.

Guerilla Tank Hunter
(Bravo AT Guy)

Solid leading from Variable as Ops leader, and Stag as our group leader. With good firing positions and decent estimates on distance, the tanks were hit on first or second shot. Later, on that hillside, I had the AT shot of my life, 600 m, down hill, a tank standing behind H-barriers in the woods, and I hit if first shot. That was an Armagasm right there. 

FIA Rescue Mission
(Ops leader)

That was a difficult one. I opted for attacking the middle outpost, and only by luck I spotted the armed Stride on the road. With the team split in two, Variable took out the Strider while my team engaged the outpost directly. The latter quickly fell, and we moved on from there through the swamp (always praying the water wouldn't kill the engine). We came under fire and I brought the truck to a halt behind a ruined building. From there, we saw that the whole area was dotted with small bunkers, with little to no cover. Still, we succeeded in bringing most of the team to the edge of the camp, where  I was again killed by a camper. Ultimately, the mission failed since our whole team got wiped out.

King's Evidence
(Spec Ops Medic)

The SpecOps team set out immediately towards the sugar cane factory, with the sniper team taking up higher ground overlooking the latter. On the way, we already heard the Blackfish engaging enemies with it's massive armament. The sniper team called out a Taru approaching the factory to pick up some suspicious cargo pod. Sadly, we didn't make it in time, and the cargo pod vanished at the horizon. Followed shortly thereafter by the other target that we had to kill. Bummer.

Wrecking Crew
(Engineer)

Three tries, and three times the tank was killed. Was close the last time, but no cigar. 

General Remarks

When you're dead and floating above the world, any sort of tactical analysis becomes a lot easier. So no offence intended, I did the same mistakes on the ground. 

The point in question is spacing. I noticed it today, and the two times before that: People cluster behind the same rock, stay close to each other when taking position behind a brick wall, rush to the same dead guy to check him for useful equipment. More than two, three or even four people on one spot, grenade flies in, all dead. I've seen this from the sky several times in the last three coop nights. Remember, the grenades with their shrapnel are pretty lethal, their kill radius is pretty big, and four guys on the same spot are a juicy target that even an AI will get a boner from. So, definitely, watch your spacing.

Another thing is formation: I noticed that it's still hard for some people to stay on the correct side. Even go right, odds left.

Finally, please, everyone, set up your Arma. Know the keys for the radios (we use TFAR since Arma 2, for crying out loud). Also, take some time to set up your ACE. Yes, you won't see the command bar by default when you take command, you need to enable that in the settings. If you don't know how ACE works, let me know, we can meet up on the server and I'll run you through it.

Thanks for listening

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Sputnik Monroe - 11-26-2016

I messed around in the editor practicing using the TFAR alternate channel set up and think I finally have it down now. Question though, I thought the leaders were always communicating over long range, but when leading are we supposed to use alternate then, keybow "T" for short and "Y" for long?

I agree on spacing but I completely sympathize on every one bunching up on a single piece of cover in an open field. We had a few missions yesterday with with very little cover in the operations areas.

Gwyn, in your video I saw you medical menu is a lot different in ACE, what is the option name to use that version? I haven't had an issue with the medical menu but I know a few people have had trouble targeting the injured areas, usually the torso, the menu version I saw pop up that you were using might be helpful for them.

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Variable - 11-26-2016

Team leaders have LR (long range) radios and SR (short range) radios.
Non-leaders have only SR radios.

There's a single command frequency everybody listens to and are able to transmit on, leaders are on it using their LR radios, non-leaders are on it using their alternate channel (channel 8) on their SR radio. Leaders don't have this alternate channel on their own SR radio since they have the command frequency on their LR radio.

In addition, each team has its own SR channel for communication within the team.

Non-leaders can transmit on the command frequency using their alternate channel (default T key). The only drawback is that the range of the SR radios is shorter, so transmitting on the command frequency using an SR alternate will not be heard by units farther than about 2 klicks.

I hope that clears things up, please let me know if you have further questions.

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Sputnik Monroe - 11-26-2016

That makes so much more sense now, all this time I was a little confused but it all finally makes sense to me now

RE: The Debriefing Thread - Stagwine - 11-26-2016

CSI
(Medic) 

Good bread-n-butter fun and good opener. Not much for the medic to do except to patch one AI. 

Guerrilla Tank Hunter
(TL Bravo) 

Finally beat this, and with flying colours. 

I got good notes and attack plan from Variable and my team performed just great. Plenty of driving avoiding rocks and short foot march to our 1st attack position. We got good eyes on both tanks, and my AT gunners Alwarren and Varanon set up. Our target was northern tank, and we were to fire right after Alpha. Good coordination and teamwork there. Hits were observed and next shooter corrected fire for effect. 2 rockets = scratch one tank. 

Another vehicle march to next objective. During approach my team took fire from tanks on the valley and we lost Evans. We also came under fire from hill 189. Alpha ordered us to suppress while they flank the outpost on that hill. 

As soon it was cleared, my team joined Alpha, and during set up for next set of tanks we lost Variable. McGregor, new Alpha actual reported in. Again my AT gunners did great, we got good solutions to Ifrit and one of the tanks. This time they were much further away, but again we were able to correct fire for effect. 

Real mission beef was taking care of the last tank at 600m. It was downhill, and top of that, it was behind sand bags in middle of trees. Initially I wanted to get closer somehow, but my AT team was confident they can take the shot. We also found extra AT ammunition so we had some extra reserve to play with. It didn't help that we were also under sporadic infantry fire, and I knew there was hostile infantry down that hill. Our riflemen kept the trash at bay and AT team got a solution. Scratch last tank.  We disengaged back to vehicles, and got back to base. Mission complete. 

Everyone did just great but medal recommendations goes to team FHQ. One of best shows of AT gunnery I have seen in my coop days. 

FIA Rescue 
 (Grenadier) 

This is a handful. We followed roughly the same plan as before, and enjoyed good firefights at outpost, exciting swamp exploration, and finally came under fire at the objective. We took refuge in nearby building.  

Eventually Varanon, SL, put one team behind rock wall to suppress the objective while other team moved in from right flank under cover of the trees. We had relatively good cover, good optics, 40mms, and after intense firefight we were able to harvest the camp quite effectively. Unfortunately flanking team had taken heavy casualties. 

There wasn't that much opposite left, only handful of guys, when we started our push from the wall, but we got one  casualty, Varanon, by a camper behind sandbag. I also wasn't able to loot any ammunition from enemies (MJ gave good tip in lobby, grab vest instead). 

While slicing the corner I was killed by grenade. I saw the guy, I killed him but he had already nade on the air. It was only 2 bad guys left in camp that time, and eventually remaining team got to prisoners. They escaped on foot with prisoners, but came under fire from single autorifleman. I am honestly not sure how to extract the prisoners. FIA base is very far, and apparently there wasn't any option to command POWs to trucks or something. 

Good leading Varanon, good team work, and with a bit better luck we likely would have made it. It was real close even now. Objective is a tough nut to crack. There isn't really that much cover save the set of trees and rocks where other team flanked now. I guess another alternative is just to grab truckload of ammo, especially for MGs, and just push from the wall where fire support team was now under heavy heavy heaaaavy suppression and smoke. There's going to be casualties no matter what, but we knew the risks when we signed in at the lobby ^^

King's Evidence 
(Autorifleman) 

Our mission was to obtain narcotics filled fuel truck, or alternatively, a fuel pod as evidence of narcotics scheme on Tanoa. 

I was fire support in McGregors team. Sniper team left to provide overwatch while our team trekked through the jungle. Our fire support, 'Steel Rain' (105, aerial) was already on the sky, engaging targets with exciting visuals and most satisfying sound effects. Yum. 

We were still 200-300m from the factory when enemy reinforcements started pouring in. Taru managed to cargo lift the fuel pod and escape with it. We put rounds after it, but it was already out of range. We eventually managed to push to factory, we started our look for the alternate evidence, fuel truck, but we were shortly informed of enemy officer escaping, and thus, failing the mission. 

I admit I was concerned of the viabilty of the mission, but after feedback and bit of thinking, it is doable setup. I've made certain fine tunings, re-wrote some parts of briefing, and adjusted balance with AAA just a bit. New version should be available by next coop night. 

Wrecking Crew 
(Several roles, engineer, driver, medic, navigator, etc) 

Mission beef is for engineer team to race to the tank and the crew, repair it, refuel it, and escape before enemy overruns the site. 

It is tough, but it -is- doable. I prefer at least 1-2 more tries before I check for possible adjustments. In last attempt we got pretty close. Mission moment for me was bulldozing the BTR-70 off the road with our MRAP and surviving the encounter.