Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Virtual Surround sound for headphones - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Technical Support (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Virtual Surround sound for headphones (/showthread.php?tid=2340)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Virtual Surround sound for headphones - Horus - 05-17-2013

DX have C-media chip,too (C-Media Oxygen HD audio processor). If you only need audio card for headset go with DG/DGX Wink

Re: Virtual Surround sound for headphones - Misha - 05-17-2013

I see that they rebranded it. I would stay away from C-media, but I guess other specifications make the card worthwile.

Re: Virtual Surround sound for headphones - doveman - 05-17-2013

DX has:
http://uk.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_DX/#specifications

Audio Processor
ASUS AV100 High-Definition Sound Processor (Max. 192KHz/24bit)

24-bit D-A Converter of Digital Sources:
Cirrus-Logic CS4398*1 for Front-Out (120dB SNR, Max. 192kHz/24bit)
Cirrus-Logic CS4362A*1 for other 6 channels (114dB SNR, Max. 192kHz/24bit)

24-bit A-D Converter for Analog Inputs:
Cirrus-Logic CS5361* 1 (114dB SNR, Max. 192kHz/24bit)

DG has:
http://uk.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_DG/#specifications

Audio Processor :C-Media CMI8786 High-Definition Sound Processor (Max. 96KHz/24bit)
(it doesn't specify the DAC/ADC but it says it supports 16/24bit still)

No question that the DX has higher specs on paper but I still don't think it's worth it unless you'll be using it with a high end set of speakers (via the analog outputs and amp, if you'll be using a digital output it'll be the quality of the DAC/Receiver that matters and I doubt there's any real advantage over soundcard digital output vs onboard/HDMI digital output). Of course, if you think you might one day or the cost isn't an issue, then go for it but although I don't have any experience of any of these cards myself, the reports from others who've upgraded from onboard to DG/DGX seem to say it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Incidentally, I notice the DX says it supports DS3D GX2.0 whilst the DG/DGX support GX2.5. I've never heard of this before so I have no idea if it's commonly used by games. I know it's used to emulate EAX 1/2 and that EAX 3/4/5 can't be emulated because Creative won't licence them!

I'd say if you have a PCI slot you can use, get the DX rather than the DGX as you'll save some money and reports suggest it has slightly less problems than the DGX (nothing serious, mainly issues with the loudness of the front panel headphone output but you can just use an extension lead to plug in the back and it may only affect high impedance headphones anyway, which the Razer Carcharias aren't). I'd probably get that myself except my only PCI slot is right next to my graphics card and it would somewhat block the airflow to the fans on that, so I'll probably have to spend the extra to get the DGX.

Virtual Surround sound for headphones - Variable - 05-17-2013

How to tell whether I have PCI or PCI-E? Would it help if I'll dig in and find my mobo model name?

(05-17-2013, 01:31 PM)Variable link Wrote: How to tell whether I have PCI or PCI-E? Would it help if I'll dig in and find my mobo model name?

Yeah, if you run http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html then look under the Mainboard tab it should show the brand and model.

Re: Virtual Surround sound for headphones - Variable - 05-17-2013

My Motherboard is DX58SO

(05-17-2013, 01:42 PM)Variable link Wrote: My Motherboard is DX58SO

OK, I can see from the tech manual (p.11-12) that this has (from left to right) PCI-E x1, PCI-E x16 (Secondary), PCI,  PCI-E x1, PCI-E x16 (Primary) and PCI-E x4.

Assuming your graphics card is in the PCI-E x16 (Primary), with the heatsink/fan it probably blocks the PCI-E x1 below it but you probably still have room to use the PCI slot below that. You should take a look and satisfy yourself that it will fit though as I don't know how big your graphics card is. If it won't fit or if you think it will block the graphics card fan, you could move the graphics card to the PCI-E x16 (Secondary) near the bottom of the board, where it will probably block the PCI-E x1 below it but that doesn't matter and then you can put the DG in the PCI slot without it blocking anything.

I don't think it will make any difference whether the graphics card is in the Primary or Secondary PCI-E x16 slot but you could move it now to make sure it doesn't cause any problems before deciding whether to get the DG or DGX. If you decide to get the PCI-E DGX instead of the PCI DG, it only needs PCI-E x1 so it can go in any of the PCI-E slots.

Virtual Surround sound for headphones - Variable - 05-17-2013

See the picture. Looks like the black slot I circled in red is the only one I can use. The white one above it seems to be blocked by the GTX 680 card.

There's another very small slot, also black, right below the one I marked. I guess it's too small for a sound card.

It's hard to see from that picture but assuming it's the same as the manual (I'll use the letters from the diagram on p.11), the black slot you circled would be the PCI-E x16 (Secondary) © so you could move your graphics card to there and then you should be able to fit the DG in the PCI slot (white slot) (E) above it.

The very small black slot at the bottom is the PCI-E x1 (B) and the DGX would work in that, or the large black slot above it  (PCI-E x16 (Secondary)) ©, or (F) which is currently obscured by the graphics card but wouldn't be if you moved that to ©, or the slot above where the graphics card currently is (H).

I can freely use my "PCI Express x16 bus add-in card connector (Secondary)" which is on ©.
Edit: just noticed that the DX needs the PCI Express x1 connector  (B). And that one is free on my mobo as well.

So just to confirm:
I'll go with Misha's recommendation and get the ASUS PCI-Express x1 7.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DX and fit it there.

I got it all sorted out, right? :Smile

Yep, it will work in any PCI-E x1 or above so you can stick it in (B), ©, etc. This is the case for the DGX and the DX (and I imagine any PCI-E soundcard).

Re: Virtual Surround sound for headphones - Horus - 05-17-2013

(05-17-2013, 04:10 PM)Variable link Wrote: See the picture....
Your case crying for air compressor  :o

....and little review  Wink

(05-17-2013, 11:18 PM)Horus link Wrote: Your case crying for air compressor  :o
Oo...
Coming to play?

Re: Virtual Surround sound for headphones - Legolasse - 05-18-2013

Yeah, your machine could use some cleaning Variable Smile If you don't have a compressor use a vacuum cleaner. I vacuum the insides of my PC every month. Big Grin

Re: Virtual Surround sound for headphones - doveman - 05-18-2013

I recall reading that it was not advisable to use a vacuum cleaner as it can create a lot of static which could damage sensitive components, so an air compressor is probably safer. You can use a cotton bud to clean out any remaining dust stuck in the important places, like the heatsinks which need to be clear to let the air flow through them.