Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
My Mission Site - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Mission Making (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: My Mission Site (/showthread.php?tid=2320)

Pages: 1 2 3

My Mission Site - Phantom - 03-18-2013

Hey guys, so I've been working on a mission site that's still a WIP with a freeweb creator (weebly). Mainly got to finish the tutorial which might take me some time.

I'll put posting my mission packs on there for downloads, whatever screenshots I get during the coop nights, and a mission creating tutorials in a step-by-step guide with pictures intended to target total newbies along with a template.

(thanks to Alwarren and Varanon for the FHQ Task Script as well)

http://phantommissionsite.weebly.com/

Re: My Mission Site - Variable - 03-18-2013

Good job Phantom! Looking forward to that tutorial.

Re: My Mission Site - Nouty - 03-18-2013

Good idea. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated Smile

Re: My Mission Site - Legolasse - 03-18-2013

Nice one Phantom! Think I'm going to have to start learning mission making now. Smile

Re: My Mission Site - Alwarren - 03-18-2013

(03-18-2013, 01:48 PM)Lego link Wrote:Nice one Phantom! Think I'm going to have to start learning mission making now. Smile

No more excuses Big Grin

Re: My Mission Site - Misha - 03-21-2013

Phantom, how about doing a guide for Arma 3 editing?

I guess most of us will switch to playing Arma 3 anyway, and mission editing guide would be handy for those who would like to begin with that game.

I started to think about learning how to make missions long time ago. But now when Arma 3 is released I am sure that I want to make missions for this game instead for Arma 2.

Re: My Mission Site - Alwarren - 03-21-2013

Actually, there is hardly any difference between Arma 2 and Arma 3 (or Arma, for the matter). Most of what applied to previous games still holds true, and little has been changed.

Re: My Mission Site - Phantom - 03-21-2013

My guide apply to both games. Most of the screenshots on the guide is arma 3 anyways. Some 2 some 3. There's still the same technique involved. I'll add more probably Friday night and Saturday, I got a track meet today. Though I got to fix a few missions first.

Re: My Mission Site - Anthropoid - 04-03-2013

Thanks for that site Phantom! It is really great and I'm already making a lot more progress than I've made in the past  Smile

I'm gonna take this 'becoming an Arma 2 mission maker' in a few steps:

1. Spend a week or few weeks just piddling and fiddling to get a sense for what everything is and does, make some very small simple throw away 'scenarios' as a learning experience. If I get one that seems half way decent I'm happy to share it.

2. Advance to making a true mission that is intended to be shared with other users, but is relatively simple small and straightforward. Not sure if an SP one is easier to do to start with or if okay to jump straight into an MP/coop mission.

3. Make a few more missions of various sorts but still smallish and learn from those (this is probably a matter of weeks and months of elapsed time).

4. Eventually, dive into innards of MarkB50K's "Lost" and "Apocalypse" missions and try to make sense of how everything in those works with the goal of making some personal adjustments and additions to those. Not sure about sharing any changes I would make to his mission, though I understand getting his sanction would be the best way. He seems to have been completely inactive at BIS forums for about a year.

5. Assuming I get this far, and I seem to have successfully modded the Lost mission to my satisfaction, start to think about the longer-term goal of making a coop version of a Lost-like mission/campaign.

The idea is that each player would spawn alone, and be required to complete at least one mission solo in order to either rendezvous with his teammates or take a step toward rendezvousing with this teammates. In the 3rd if not 2nd mission, several team members would spawn together and then be tasked with rendezvousing with another group. This wouldn't necessarily go on endlessly, but the basic idea that I'm toying with is to try to capture the 'feeling' of the Lost mission of being behind enemy lines and having to piece together a stronger and stronger fighting force and progressively 'take back' the island.

Another idea that I have in mind, but not sure how it could be executed is that there is not really -any- respawn in the course of the 'campaign.' Meaning if you start as a particular soldier, say "John Smith" the US Marine Corps Assault Rifleman, and you get killed at some point, John Smith is DEAD. This is not to say that the player who was playing John Smith can't participate in the mission-series any longer (nor even necessarily that John Smith cannot be played by someone else, though if it were possible I'd prefer it that way). Rather, if your player character gets killed, then the way I'd like it to work is that, you then have to complete at least one solo mission spawning as a local partisan or POW or something of that sort in order to RV with the other surviving members of your force and then be able to participate in actual coop sessions with your team.

I realize that the current mechanisms for coop missions don't seem to be particular well suited for this sort of 'inter-mission' dependency, and perhaps it would depend on an 'honor system' and use of a large available pool of soldiers for 2nd and 3rd and successive missions and exclusion of those 'optional' but not yet unlocked soldiers using the Disable AI.

I don't know if each users account could somehow be linked to the data in the mission to make it so that each player can only play his 'unlocked' soldier character or not. If that was possible then I think it would add a lot to the flavor of the mission series as more of a campaign than a quickie.

The other thing I was wondering is if it might be possible to allow Saving of coop missions, so that if a mission is proving to be too much for a particular evening it can be saved and the team can return to it later without having to restart from the beginning.

IF Saving and reloading of Coop sessions is possible, then divvying the campaign up into separate missions might not make so much sense, and instead using triggers that are preset in a fully populated island might be the way to go instead. This is basically how the Lost mission works in SP. In setup, you tell it what forces you want to play with, and relative proportions of each, as well as the size of the enemy force you will face. It then uses its random spawning/placing/scripting magic to "create" an island that is populated with all of the enemy you will have to defeat to win the mission. It basically populates the island with an enemy army, as well as a friendly force which you are separated from, and also various place markers that will trigger spawning of additional friendlies as you search around doing your geurilla / partisan skulking thing.

If it would be possible to somehow load the Lost mission as a coop and then simply save it, that might even be the better way to go.

Re: My Mission Site - Phantom - 04-05-2013

You can save coop missions. That's always an option (well, much harder on dedicated server, you got to do the MSO way for that I think). I do not know how to do those, but I'm covering classic coop missions on this site. I'll be adding more stuff when I find time.

Re: My Mission Site - Phantom - 04-06-2013

Looks like I just need to fill up the advance section now and I'm done with the ARMA 3 side. The ARMA 2 side shouldn't take as long because I can just grab over most of the ARMA 3 stuff and change some screenshots around.

Re: My Mission Site - Phantom - 04-07-2013

ARMA 3 editing tutorial is now complete. Feedback is welcome Big Grin

Re: My Mission Site - Phantom - 04-13-2013

ARMA 2 part of the tutorial is done now. It's practically almost the same as the ARMA 3 one but there's a few things that are different. Just a few. Most of it is the same. I also added an extra section for extra tutorial stuff (so far there's only Easy Way to Put Unit inside Building Guide). I'll add more later here and there. Tell me how it is and what I should fix up if anything Tongue . I'll probably release this to the public soon.

Re: My Mission Site - Anthropoid - 04-13-2013

I'm interested in making my first mission Phantom. Idea is to make an ambush scenario around the Naran Darre Pass in Takistan. Have been watching this one guys tutorial series on the editor controls. It is quite good and informative, but only problem is, it tends to put me to sleep.

Found it via this page on Armaholic that Gunny pointed me to
http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=6751

Questions for you Phantom

1. I'ved used Armarize to update and "synchronize" a bunch of new addons. Should I use it to launch my game or use the Arma II Launcher Spirited Machine?

2. If I want a mission to be useable broadly, i.e., without a bunch of mods required, I should build it with all the addons disabled right? (CWR, CBA, etc., etc.)

3. Lets say I leave ACR and PMC activated but don't use any of the content from those expansions in the mission, will players who only have A2/OA be able to load the mission?

4. Are any of those mission templates on your site good for ambush missions?

5. Fiddling with the Spirited Machine Launcher: I'm a bit surprised that each expansion can only be in one group. That just means that the Groups are to subdivide expansion by type eh?

I thought it was to create specific permutations of groups for different startup situations. For example:

a. One group with all the basic CiA required Addons for a "CiA Basic" Group click that when you want to start up and play COOP on Sun or Tuesday.

b. One group with all of the above + ACE, CAA, Lingor, etc., etc. click that when you want to start up and play COOP on Fri

c. One group with most of the stuff in (a), but a few things removed click on that for when I want to play SP

d. One group with bare minimum stuff for editing / mission making.

Guess it doesn't really work that way though eh?

Re: My Mission Site - Phantom - 04-13-2013

1) Doesn't matter. Launching with whatever launcher is down to personal preferences. I prefer the Spirited Machine one, but that's my own personal preference. You don't have to edit with it either, but I thought it would make things simplier with different profiles, 1 for editing, playing, etc.

2) I recommend you disable the addons when you do that incase you accidentally placed an addon required item in there that forces people to need the addons. It won't make it a requirement unless you place it there by accident.

3) Yes (though they should grab the lite edition anyways since its free hehe Tongue )

4) Its for making missions in general so you don't got to go around grabbing or creating every single additional files that it contains yourself so you can just copy and paste everything EXCEPT the mission.sqm into your mission folder that you're working on and edit those yourself. As for the ambush mission, you'll set that up yourself from scratch in the editor. It's just that the template has the briefing, description.ext, and other files premade for you that you can add to, remove some stuff in, or modify it so it makes the job easier. Basically, they're just for making missions in general (well no revive/respawn ones that is.)

5) With spiritedmachine you can make folders and put the addons inside folder (1 addon only at any folder so you can't put more than 1 addons in each folder). Let's say you want all your weapons addon in one folder so you make a folder called "WEAPON" and then you put all the weapons addon there. Another addon for all the Islands called "ISLAND" and etc. CBA in a CBA folder and ACE mods in an ACE folder. Its on how you want to organize it.

If you want to make different startup situations, make a new profile called CiA Coop Night profile for example and add all the addons required for CiA coop night and then if you want to make another profile for editing, then you do that.

The groups is for you to divide by types as you please. Now if you want to make different situations, you make different profiles.

Just go to top left corner and there's the profile button, click it then click New and create a new one or duplicate to copy your existing one and you can modify it from there.