Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Extended Displays - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Technical Support (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Extended Displays (/showthread.php?tid=2159)

Extended Displays - Variable - 01-18-2012

I connected another screen and now I work in extended display. I want to run Arma on the right screen while showing TS and chrome (for imo.im and the mission list) on the left screen.
I can press escape in Arma to bring up the cursor, and move it to the left screen. Thus far, it works nice.
Problem is, when I click the browser/TS on the left screen, Arma minimizes on the right screen
any solution other then running arma on windowed mode?

Re: Extended Displays - TonyMarony - 01-18-2012

i guess this wont work (at least i know no solution for this request).
As a workaround (to avoid alt-tabbing), i used my laptop as "secondary" ts viewer, where i could drag people around and browse the misison list. But i dropped the "laptop TS" again, because some people got confused about a second Tony in the lobby ;-). Now i use the extended as you mentioned (it helps me to identify the voices or who is speaking), but alt-tab to drag in TS. Works aswell quite good for me.

Tony

Re: Extended Displays - Zwobot - 01-19-2012

Do you run Arma2 in windowed mode?

Re: Extended Displays - Variable - 01-20-2012

(01-19-2012, 07:58 AM)Zwobot link Wrote:Do you run Arma2 in windowed mode?
As I wrote, I know that running the game in windowed mode will allow me to switch to the other screen without Arma 2 minimizing, but I don't want to run the game in windowed mode since it's somewhat of an immersion killer for me...

Re: Extended Displays - Zwobot - 01-20-2012

Why is it an immersion killer? You can configure the window size and position to exactly fit your monitor, so you won't even notice it is running in windowed mode.

Re: Extended Displays - Variable - 01-20-2012

How do I configure it? The only way I know is to resize the window by dragging one of its corner.

Re: Extended Displays - Zwobot - 01-20-2012

Locate the file Arma2OA.cfg in your user's folder. Within this file modify the lines

Code:
winX=0;
winY=0;
winW=1680;
winH=1022;
winDefW=1680;
winDefH=1050;
Resolution_W=1680;
Resolution_H=1050;
to the resolution of the monitor you will play Arma2OA on.
winX and winY are the coordinates of the top left most pixel of the window, so keep it at 0, 0
To be safe, make the same changes in the Arma2.cfg file

Be aware that entering the Video settings screen in Arma2 might reset those values already.

Re: Extended Displays - Variable - 01-21-2012

Thanks Zwobot, I don't mind playing on windowed mode if I don't see the window frame and the video feed populate the whole screen.
However, these two values:
Code:
winW=1916;
winH=1078;
I set them to 1920 and 1080 but once the game launches they are reverted automatically to 1916 and 1078. I guess that's why I still see the frame when I run the game in window mode.

Re: Extended Displays - Zwobot - 01-21-2012

Mhh, maybe that is due to the dual monitor setup. I've only used windowed mode on a single monitor until now.

Re: Extended Displays - Overlord - 01-24-2012

What kind of GFX card do you have Var? Nvidia and AMD (ATI) use different methods for this, it's all in the DX setup.

Part of mine config (used for editing):
Code:
Windowed=1; //Tells game to start in windowed mode
winX=470; //Leftmost window position
winY=64; //Top window position
winW=990; //Window width
winH=540; //Window height
winDefW=990; //Same as above
winDefH=540; //Same as above
And a big advantage when editing this file is to write-protect it after editing. AA2 will by default do a quick system analyze, and edit this file on it's own. By write-protecting it, you'll keep your own settings and force AA2 to use them instead of it's own "glorious" one.

Extended Displays - Variable - 01-25-2012

(01-24-2012, 10:30 PM)Overlord link Wrote:AA2 will by default do a quick system analyze, and edit this file on it's own. By write-protecting it, you'll keep your own settings and force AA2 to use them instead of it's own "glorious" one.

Overlord, you made my day! I edited the cfg, set it to read only, and voilà! The game now run in window mode but it's entirely unnoticeable since now Arma occupies the whole screen. No more minimizing when messing with TS, IMO or the mission list on the additional screen Smile
I have an nvidia GTX 275.

Re: Extended Displays - Overlord - 01-29-2012

When I run nVidia cards (long time ago), there was an option to launch DX (games etc) full-screen on one display. If I remember correctly it was only available in some modes (regarding screen mode - clone/multiple/wide).

Re: Extended Displays - doveman - 01-10-2013

I'm trying to do this but despite setting the .cfg to read-only, if I check the options it shows the 3D res as 1920x1174 and I can see the status bar of notepad (or whatever was last maximised) at the bottom. It doesn't change the .cfg obviously as it's RO.

Also, the taskbar sits over Arma unless I set it to auto-hide and then it pops up when I move the mouse down the bottom of the screen. How have you dealt with that? I'm running an AMD 6950 if that makes any difference.

This is what I've got in Arma2OA.cfg:

Code:
Windowed=1;
winX=0;
winY=0;
winW=1920;
winH=1200;
winDefW=1920;
winDefH=1200;
Render_W=1920;
Render_H=1200;

Re: Extended Displays - Variable - 01-10-2013

Doveman, I think the arma engine changed since those posts were made. I think that setting the cfg to read only is no longer required. try setting "windowed" from arma menu, and setting the resolution without cfg in read only mode.

What also could be the problem is they way you set your screens in the "screen resolution" windows dialog (right click on desktop > screen resolution). although my left, additional screen is lower than the right one I had to set it "higher" to make arma not being cut on top.

I'm sure this can be fixed.

Re: Extended Displays - doveman - 01-10-2013

OK, thanks Variable I'll try your suggestions and see if I can fix it.