Comrades in Arms Discussion Board
Different Sound Volumes in Radio Trigger and Area activations - Printable Version

+- Comrades in Arms Discussion Board (http://forum.ciahome.net)
+-- Forum: Comrades in Arms Life (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Mission Making (http://forum.ciahome.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Different Sound Volumes in Radio Trigger and Area activations (/showthread.php?tid=1858)

Different Sound Volumes in Radio Trigger and Area activations - Variable - 03-31-2010

I am creating a mission where a truck driver is supposed to "talk" to the team by playing a sound file.
The sound file activation is triggered by an "Independent present" trigger. When the sound is played (When the truck passes through the trigger area) the volume is too low. However, when I test the desired sound via "Radio Alpha" activation, the sound volume is just great!

I tried to mess around with the db values on description.ext for my sound files but it seems like they have no effect on the sound volume. On this note I would love to hear from experienced editors how to handle these db values- what is the maximum, what is the minimum etc., and why I see no effect over the sound volume...

Does anyone know why the different sound levels are caused with the different activations?

Re: Different Sound Volumes in Radio Trigger and Area activations - RKDmitriyev - 03-31-2010

You're probably more experienced than I am, but just to throw this out there: I too have noticed (at least in OFP) that the decibel volumes don't really effect the volume when you're standing right next to the sound. It seems to affect how far the sound will carry.

Re: Different Sound Volumes in Radio Trigger and Area activations - Zwobot - 03-31-2010

Changes in the description.ext file only affect the mission after you save or load the mission in the editor again. So after you adjust the volume for a sound from db+10 to db+20 for example you have to load the mission again. I recommend to make bold adjustments when you think a sound is too low or too loud in the mission and then finetune it because small changes in the volume are hardly noticeable until you reach a certain level.

There are different sound classes and also different possibilities to play those sounds:

Code:
unit say "sound"
works much like the direct talk VON (and chat) channel, that means the sound will be said by the unit and the volume of the sound as you hear it ingame is dependant on the distance between the player and the unit saying the sound.

Code:
playSound "sound"
will play the sound everywhere on the island and everyone should hear it in the same volume.

The above commands for for sounds which you defined in the CfgSounds class of the description.ext

If you want to transmit radio sounds via group- side- or globalchat channels you have to use the CfgRadio class in the description.ext and groupRadio, sideRadio and globalRadio commands in the editor or script.

Now with your trigger it depends how you play the sound. You can use say or playSound and you will get results like described above. But you can also use the Effects button in the trigger. There you can select sounds defined in CfgSound class from the Voice drop-down. This will then behave similar to the say command where the unit saying the sound will be the one which activated the trigger.
You can also select the sound to be played from the Anonymous drop-down which will behave like the playSound command.

Further information:
Biki description of trigger effects
playSound in the Biki
say in the Biki

Re: Different Sound Volumes in Radio Trigger and Area activations - Variable - 03-31-2010

Thanks for the quick responses!

I use the "say" command because I want the driver of the truck that picks up the team to give them some inside-briefing. I also want to use the lip-sync effect of ArmA 2 that is enabled only through this command.
Zwobot, did you find adjusting the db values to have effect on the sound level? I did reload the mission after each change but still found the changes to have no effect whatsoever on the levels. In order to reload the mission (I edit through creating a local server) I simply got out of the mission by hitting "suspend", clicked on "back", clicked the mission and then "edit". Shouldn't it reload the description.ext file?

Zwobot, you made me think of one strange phenomenon, when I test the sound file through the radio alpha trigger (driver1 say "driversay1"Wink I hear the sound in high level, even though the truck and its driver is about 100 meters away. However, when I sit right next to the driver, the levels are much lower.  It's like the range doesn't affect the level at all.

Edit: One more finding- The low sound level is caused by the player presence in the truck and not by the different trigger activation methods. When I sit in the truck and activate through "radio alpha" the level is also too low.

Re: Different Sound Volumes in Radio Trigger and Area activations - Zwobot - 03-31-2010

The db values should affect the sound volume and reloading or saving the mission in the editor should reload the description.ext (no need to exit the editor, you can reload the mission with the Load button in the editor).

Your report about the differing sound levels are strange indeed, it could be a multiplayer problem but to be honest I don't know.
I suggest posting this over at ofpec.com or the BI boards, you will reach more competent people this way.

You also might want to look into this tutorial. It was written for Ofp but should still be valid for ArmA/Arma2
Bloodmixer sound tutorial
There are some more sound tutorials in the ofpec.com editors depot.

Re: Different Sound Volumes in Radio Trigger and Area activations - Overlord - 03-31-2010

Remember this is also affected by the audio settings on each individual client, how high/low he or she have set the different sliders.

Well I think Variable can rule out different sound settings on clients since he tested the mission on his machine, right?  Smile

Re: Different Sound Volumes in Radio Trigger and Area activations - Variable - 03-31-2010

Note Wolfrug's reply on OFPEC, seems like I am facing a BI bug over here. Very depressing, I'll just leave it like this with low sound and will grant my anthropologies to those who will play it Smile

Re: Different Sound Volumes in Radio Trigger and Area activations - Overlord - 03-31-2010

(03-31-2010, 06:49 PM)Zwobot link Wrote: Well I think Variable can rule out different sound settings on clients since he tested the mission on his machine, right?  Smile
Sorry , he can't.
Two different players can have different levels on "radio messages" (or whatever it's called), music level (basically all other sound than radio and game effects). I have turned music OFF cause I like to get rid off all useless interference in game, so if important game messages is transfered by the "Music channel" I miss'em. If transfered by "radio channel" it's more likely players get a hint anyway.

@Variable
You could also try "hint" wich will give a text message top left of screen.

Well guys thanks a lot for the help, problem fixed using the playSound, for some reason it didn't solve the problem last night but now it works. Thanks again!

(03-31-2010, 08:08 PM)Overlord link Wrote: Two different players can have different levels on "radio messages" (or whatever it's called), music level (basically all other sound than radio and game effects). I have turned music OFF cause I like to get rid off all useless interference in game, so if important game messages is transfered by the "Music channel" I miss'em. If transfered by "radio channel" it's more likely players get a hint anyway.
I see where you're coming from but music is played with playMusic and not playSound. Well you can also play a soundfile containing music with say or playSound and vice versa but that's not the case here.

Oh, I got that impression (but then again, watch my sig. Wink )