Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Mission Contents Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm sat here with a shitload of time to myself, and Strike Back on, and I get to thinking about certain aspects of certain missions. And we don't have a thread like this, for suggestions for parts of missions, not the idea so much as mechanics.

The 2 that come to mind immediately are:

Stealth missions. This is not aimed at anyone in particular, its just something that happens even in AAA games, and that is on stealth missions you are given the tools but then the enemy isn't really setup for it. You come across a camp and for no readily apparent reason they seem to be on high alert. 8 sentries on the guard towers, like 30 guys out on patrol both inside and outside of the camp, patrols across the countryside around the base. Which is good action wise, but doesn't really make sense from both a game design POV or a real life one. Especially in Arma, where silenced weapons aren't like in other games. But from the realism POV, how are they going to support having their whole force up and patrolling 24/7? Why have few enough sentries that they can cover 360deg, maybe even with a blindspot the players can take advantage of, with a patrol or 2, maybe have the patrol cover the blind spot, and then have the rest of the force inside the base, in barracks blocks, or stood around "talking" (LAMBS has a function for this IIRC). Or even have it so that they are spawned inside the buildings and go out to patrol/defend when the base is alerted.

The second point is for combined arms. Currently, in missions, they are set up so that all arms are focusing on a single specific objective. And then the next, and so on. However, this need not be so. The idea that came to me, is for example, having to take a city. You have the infantry, who have the job to physically take the city. The tanks, who need to help them break in, but then have to ring the city and prevent enemy reinforcements from reaching the place. Air units who are their to provide airstrikes (use dumb munitions and civilians to prevent them from being too OP) and also air superiority (have planes and helicopters come for the friendly tanks). That way, you can scale the threat for each individual arm of the fight and don't get say, AH and tanks doing everything while the infantry does nothing, and it's still teamwork to achieve a single objective.

These are just 2 ideas, feel free to add to them, and also, they are suggestions, not digs or anything like that. I'll probably add some stuff as I think about it the next couple of weeks.