Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Dynamic Campaign
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A dynamic campaign. Something a lot of people learned to love in BMS and have been missing in DCS. The idea is to create a world that is more alive instead of a narrated experience.

Narrated experiences can be quiet enjoyable, but they have their limitations. It may be a nice story, but ultimately the story is pre set in stone. You may only achieve or fail the goals the narrater set for you. There is only black and white and no grey. So in the end you will have very little influence on the world.

An official dynamic DCS campaign has not been announced so far, but I want to try to create one by hand.
I will set up a scenario in which ground troops on both sides of a border have moved into defensive positions including all aspects beginning with layered AT and AA and going all the way to the rear supply and command bases.
Hostilities will begin in the first round with an air campaign to soften up the enemy. After a set amount of rounds the ground campaign will begin and CAS will become an important factor.

The scenario will be located close to the coastline, therefore ships will become a factor as well. This will create opportunities for Viggen missions and deep penetration without having to cross huge strips of enemy territory.

There will also be a system with which you can buy additional assets.
We will have 100 points in our account before the first round. For every round played we will receive 20 points per pilot.

The following assets are available:

10 points
Reconnaissance satellite: You can place a circle of 5nm diameter anywhere you want. For the next round you will be provided a map with every enemy vehicle and installation within the circle.

JTAC: A JTAC will be provided for one round in a position of your choice within friendly territory.

30 points
Air Intel: Activate your spy network in order to gain precise information about the enemies air force. You will be provided with the numbers, airports and types of aircraft taking of from enemy airports.

50 points
Special Forces: A SpecOps Squad will be provided at a FARB of your choice. They may either move via ground vehicles or be transported by you. The Squad is available for all upcoming rounds. Once inside enemy territory they can either slowly move by foot or can be picked up and moved by your helicopter. After crossing enemy lines they will need to be resupplied every five rounds.

AWACS: For one round an AWACS will go on station within your territory.

Air Intel 2: Same as Air Intel, just for 2 missions.

100 points
CAP: Two fully armed F15c will provide CAP for one round.

SEAD: Two E/F 18 will take off from a carrier of the coast and take out as many enemy AA assets as possible around coordinates provided by you.

Frigate: A OHP frigate will be deployed to a box on the border 3nm from the coast.

200 points: A cruiser will be deployed to a box on the border 3nm from the coast.

The scenario:  A holiday in Abkhazia

The Caucasus region is home to a host of rebellious ethnic groups struggling to create their own small and micro nations. The most famous one being the Chechnians who have gone up against the might of the Russian military several times.
Georgia has two rebellious children of its own. South Ossetia and Abkhazia.
Both are aligned with Russia, both govern themselves and both are not recognized nations. Georgia has been trying to gain back influence in these regions, but failed mainly due to Russian interventions.
As a consequence Georgia has been more careful. They have mainly focused their efforts on Abkhazia. Winning hearts and minds, encouraging Georgians to settle on Abkhazian soil, while still only paying Georgian taxes and sending the police over the border to conduct night time arrests.
The Russians would have liked to intervene early, but after the backlash from their actions on the Krim and in eastern Ukraine they were careful too.
In this tense situation a small spark was enough to ignite a huge fire.
One of the Georgian settlers was assaulted by a local Abkhazia. In order to solidify its claim the Georgian police crossed the border to arrest the man, who also happened to be a local politician.
What followed were three days of bloody pogroms against the Georgians living in Abkhazia. The Georgian police were unable to intervene since the Abkhazian military had taken up its positions on the border. The Georgian military mobilized.
The Georgian government has pleaded the UN to intervene. This was shot down quickly by Russian and Chinese vetoes. Instead a large number of Russian soldiers are currently on holiday in Abkhazia. They brought armoured vehicles and rifles. As a response several NATO countries formed a coalition of the willing and are moving into Georgia.

Preperation:
The first step will now be to choose how to spent our initial points and which aircraft to use on our first mission.
Damn, that soudns like a lot of fun for the next coop nights.

I would of course love to fly my trusted A-10 loaded to the limits, but with a little training the viggen might be jsut as good.

i am not sure what supplort we need most.
Is the 100 points per pilot or for our whole team ?
is the OHP permantent ? if yes, i would say we definately could use one, if only tp have someone create a safe heaven for us to retreat to quickly if we need to run from hostile jets.
the next most senseful thing seems to be AIR INTEL 2, becase the first missions will have a lot of hostile air assets as it seems
the other things seem to be stuff we only kniow where to use after the first mission, so we best save some (if we don't take the OHP)
Amazing idea Sithis, I love it.

Did you already plan/create the initial scenario? Do you plan to provide a map showing friendly positions?
That brings me to the thought that it would be great to have a persistant map that we can share where we can mark and share intel. I think in google maps one can create and share maps. Any other ideas?

Besides that, who will plan the missions? I figure it would make sense (and be much more exciting) that it's not Sithis himself, as he knows where the enemy is.

Without having details of the situation (who's already there and where are they) I suppose establishing a HQ (if not already there) and conducting some CAPs to probe the opposition would be the sensible thing to do?

My mission-ready aircraft are:
A10C
M2000C (AA or AG)
UH1 (CAS, troop or cargo transport)
SA342 (any variant)
I planned the initial scenario but I haven't done the work in the editor yet.

I will provide maps with Intel available to us in this thead. Of course if it is somehow possible toto share a more detailed interactive map that would be great. 

Our forces have a full frontlines with multilayers defense just like the enemy. All Georgia air bases plus some FARBS are available us.

The points are shared. That means we all have 100 together and will habe 100 available next round if we actually fly with five people.

Planning the missions will definitely not be done by me ☺. I was hoping some kind of discussion about future goals and missions would take place here, but If anybody wants to take on a squadron leader kind of role that would be great as well.
In mission one I will fly the SU-25 in a SEAD role.
Also if you gave any ideas or changes please let me know this is still very much work in progress.

Oh and yes ships are permanent
i guess since the first mission will be, like manuel suggests, a little cap to probe the enemy defences the AIR INTEL 2 would be our best investment, with the OHP or even a DESTROYER(given that we have 5 pilots) following the next round.
fot the first mission I guess I will be using the Viggen but if possible I would like the possibillity to switch into the A-10 in case that I find an oportunity to bring to bear a full load of weapons.... on the other hand, thats probably something to decide for the next day of the campain.

also I will probably be missiong one or two saturdays as the first big exam of my studies now got a date on it and its in two weeks already

but i am thinking about leaving my pc at my girlfriends place a little longer than the start of the semester to be able to participate in the campain Big Grin

do you have a basic map ? oder should we work with just the georgia map in mind with the abkasian border as a front line ?
I aill also try to have a look at the maps in google as manuel suggested, I think he is right and there should be a way for us to work on a shared map. if not or it proves to cumbersome, i guess there are other programms that allow us to work on one graphic together.
Yes the front line will be the actual border.
We also have to think about how long a round continues.

Does round end as soon as you die? That woumake it very boring in case of a takeoff accident.
I would propose we have a time limit. 2 hours per round or would that be too long?
i think 2 hour are fine, it gives us time for ingression with A-10 and several attacks with the faster jets. and it also allows for some intel with the a10
since there is no destroyer in the game i wouldsuggest we save points in the first round and buy a cruiser in the second which wie put up in poti.... with its range of aprox 54nm against air targets it should give us quite some atvantage and we could concentrate on ground targets early on
[Image: RFR3F1u.jpg]

So what asset are you going to choose?

Unnamed voted for the Air Intel 2
I'm coming, I'll post later about assets.
I agree with unnamed, lets get some air intel for the first round and save the rest of the points.

As for our aircrafts:
I suggest to have an A-10C conducting recon along the frontline, with fighters for air cover.

I would like to cover as much of the frontline as we can on this first mission to get a picture of what we are up against. I would suggest to note all discovered enemy assets in a style like "number/type/lat-long" during the mission so that we can plan the next mission based on that.
Alright, as long as Etzu and Misha do not vote against it by tomorrow I will give the Air Intel tomorrow evening.
I could still fly one SU-25T SEAD mission before hopping into the A-10c and doing recon or does someone else want to do the recon?
(03-09-2017, 10:38 PM)Sithis Wrote: [ -> ]Alright, as long as Etzu and Misha do not vote against it by tomorrow I will give the Air Intel tomorrow evening.
I could still fly one SU-25T SEAD mission before hopping into the A-10c and doing recon or does someone else want to do the recon?

Sounds like a solid plan

Sent from mTalk
Air Intel for round 1:
The enemy has 6 SU-27 at their disposal. They are on high alert with two always patrolling and 4 beeing on constant standby stationed at Sukhumi and Gudauta.
Their fleet of SU-25 and helicopters is mostly in shelters at Gudauta and not mission ready yet.
Small numbers of Mi-8 are on Transport duty around the area.
Let's hit their SU-25 and chopper fleet. Go low and invisible and take out threats to our ground forces. SU-27 don't bother us if they don't have what to protect. What do you say?
Pages: 1 2