Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: Mountaineering vacation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Anybody with experience or suggestions on how to get into amateur ice climbing?

I myself would like to get into this one day although it seems a like a far fetched and difficult venture. I've always enjoyed rock wall climbing but this would be my dream for one day.
Climbing looks fun. I got no experience with actually rock climbing and such. The only thing I have climbed over in nature were a few rock areas that's probably just about 3 times my height without gears where I would know that if I were to fall, it wouldn't be that bad and have enough places for me to put my barehands and feet into the rocks. Other than that I have only climbed over walls and structures. I however do find climbing up stuff quite fun.

(Maybe I should add all sorts of nature/outdoor expeditions to my bucket list...)
Nice vid Watchmen. I would suggest that you look up your national climbing association (most countries have one) and see if there is a local climbing club near you. They often have a variety of climbing courses ranging from basic rock climbing courses to more advanced alpine climbing. Or if you have plenty of the ol' Euro I can recommend http://www.chamex.com/ It is on the expensive side though
Happy climbing mate  Smile
Watchmen, I had a Singaporean friend who used to climb, so if you go with McGregor's suggestion I bet you'll find something.

I once met two alpine style (no oxygen equipment) climbers near the Chinese border in Nepal, they were just crossing the border into china on foot to climb. I asked them if they are not afraid to get caught and they said that the terrain is so tough there, that Chinese patrols can't catch them. You really need to be a crazy Australian to fuck like that with the Chinese....
(02-21-2015, 09:43 AM)McGregor link Wrote: [ -> ]Nice vid Watchmen. I would suggest that you look up your national climbing association (most countries have one) and see if there is a local climbing club near you. They often have a variety of climbing courses ranging from basic rock climbing courses to more advanced alpine climbing. Or if you have plenty of the ol' Euro I can recommend http://www.chamex.com/ It is on the expensive side though
Happy climbing mate  Smile
The funny thing is i live near the equator in Singapore(not native) where its just hot,hot,hot. The only climbing facilities here are rock walls and sports parks, and i got my "climbers" license some years back although ive stopped since then because it got boring climbing the same wall over again. If possible i might make a trip to somewhere in the northern hemisphere when ive saved up enough for a backpackers journey, somewhere far from the city and out in the icy parts for some good ol' adventuring.