Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: FHQ_GroupInfo (The addon formerly know as CommandBarLabel)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I hope it is also... functional Big Grin
Looks good Alwarren! Several observations:
  • [size=1em]Are these hexes part of the mod? I'd really like to avoid using an additional HUD element, never liked Shacktac's hexes.[/size]
  • [size=1em]As I understand the labels will not be visible unless there is a line of sight to units under 30 meters? I'm a bit reserved about that, if you remember we once used a mod that do exactly that (Zsomething) and we felt it's too limiting. In real life you have a myriad of cues that help you find your friends, even without LOS. And I always felt that mk4 compensate for the lack of them in the game's environment.[/size]
  • [size=1em]Have you looked at the FPS drop when activating mk4 we get since one of the game updates?[/size]
  • Addit: can we now activation map the key to whatever we want?
Awesome work as usual Alwarren. I do share Variable's concerns however. I'm not overly bothered by the hexes but it would be good to make them optional if possible. Shacktac uses an optional pbo for them which makes it easy.

I'm more concerned about not being able to easily identify friendlies though. I don't know how far away IRL it's possible but as Variable says, IRL you have lots of clues such as direction and distance specific hearing, give you a good idea where people are, not to mention familiarity with how your friends look, more visual detail which lets you easily recognise faces and uniforms. In ArmA even when I'm standing 10ft away from someone it can take me a while to be sure they're not friendly, so it could be argued it would be more realistic to have permanent markers on friendlies whilst they're within whatever distance it would be easy to recognise them IRL.

When it comes to shooting at far away targets, I just wait until someone else tells me where to shoot so I can blame them if it's wrong Wink Maybe I just need a 55" 4k monitor Smile
Just to reiterate, these cues I talk about are not only visual, and take part also when there's no LOS. It's just that in real life we have a better perception of our surroundings than that we have in the game, and the help mk4 provides by showing when your friends are even if there's a fence between the two of you, serves as a compensation. And I claim that it's a fair one.
Wow, good job AL. Looking forward to see it in action. Thank you!
Okay, first of all the Hexes are the standard Arma stuff. I am using default settings because I need to have third person view etc when I am testing. I wouldn't jump through hoops to get LOS working for the labels and then display Hexes anyway.

About LOS vs. Non-LOS, I personally feel that usually, mk4 hud reveals way too much. One reason is the range at which it works (60 meters), I think that is definitely too much. Secondly, I don't think that I should know that team member X is behind a wall. Yes, you usually have more feedback in reality but I still think that LOS is a requirement or you will start to rely on information you shouldn't have.

I can easily remove it, and I will do so if everybody thinks it is a bad idea. Personally, I am on the fence with it. 

About the slowdown, I have not experienced it myself so it is difficult to say what causes it. However, Group Info does not share any code with mk4 hud, and uses an entirely different method for rendering (drawIcon3D vs. setCtrlXXX) so it might not suffer from it. We'll have to see.

So, show of hands on the following issues:
  • Range: 30 meters right now.
  • LOS: Yay or nay?
I'm good with 30m. Mk4 is indeed a bit excessive in this respect.
Alwarren, what about a middle ground: have some slight visual indication when a friendly unit (from your team only) is behind an obstacle, just don't provide details like name and unit number?
In any case, I think you should choose what you think best.
Great work, Alwarren!

Is it possible to add unit type icons to the popup over their heads ? Like, you see the same icon taht you see below (heavy gunner, medic, etc) with the text over their head ?
Regarding LOS or no LOS:

How about showing the information even without LOS if the unit is within a certain range, say, the maximum display range is 30 m, and every unit up to 15 m is shown regardless of LOS or no LOS. All units further away than 15 m are no longer shown without LOS

Or, alternatively, use the same fading mechanics on all units, but make normal units 30 m, and obscured units fade out in 15 m
Great job so far Alwarren. You da man!

About LOS; I'm also on the fence on this one. I think it's one of those things that we really need to try before we can say yay/nay. I for one would like to try Al's vision of this before passing judgment that it is too impairing.
Range: I'm not much good at judging distance IRL or in game and I also have no idea how far away one could easily recognise a friendly uniform, so I'll leave that to others.

LOS:  It's a tricky one, as if someone's just behind a fence or low wall, IRL you'd still easily hear them shouting at you and catch a glimpse of them, or at least their helmet, occasionally, so you'd have a good idea of their location. If they've gone behind a building however, you wouldn't know where exactly they were or even if they'd moved away from that building until you next have LOS to them.

I agree with McGregor that we need to try out what you've designed in order to see how it feels in practice.
Gut gemacht! I like the changes you made and the new functions as well. I also agree with trying out the version with no indication of out line of sight units. I have one question though: is it possible to leave (or be 'kicked' out of) a group? I think its useful in case you join the wrong group and possibly creating new groups altogether.
This mod is currently not listed on the main entry page.  We might want to add it?  I missed it on the way in.

http://ciahome.net/needed-addons/
LOS is a must and I would also further reduce distance based on fog and light conditions.

There was an ArmA2 night mission we played where it would've been interesting if we had to put some effort in staying together, but mk4 hud ruined that; showing where everyone was even though it was pitch black.  >Sad
(12-19-2015, 08:48 PM)IceCreamSoldier link Wrote: [ -> ]This mod is currently not listed on the main entry page.  We might want to add it?  I missed it on the way in.

http://ciahome.net/needed-addons/
Thanks IceCreamSoldier, page edited.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6