Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Battle of Zaros
(Tank gunner)

Brilliant mission, good mix of action and suspense. I was with Evans in commander and an AI driver (they suck). We were towards the South east, and made contact last out of all the tanks. Evans spotted an infantry squad to the road towards the south and I engaged at about 600 metres with my machine gun, I didn't think it would be very effective but it was actually pretty good. Evans ordered me to stop firing just after I started because one of the other tanks exploded, giving us the impression we may have machine gunned friendlies. This wasn't the case and I preceded to engage once more. I killed maybe 6 CSAT, then a Marnid came from the same road which I dispatched with a shell through the front and one more for good measure.

After this engagement, the other two tanks had been taken out, and we were ordered to move to the AAA team to revive them. Because we were only a 2 man crew, Evans had some difficulty directing the driver as we were just in front of a ditch. He eventually took over and we proceeded to move west up the hill. As we began moving some one who had died previously spawned in as the crewman (was it Variable? I can't remember). We had little chance to make use of this, as I spotted a transport helo and we engaged. I hit it with an AP shell, but the new member of our tank was also hosing it with machine gun fire so I don't know who killed it. Alas, because of engaging the helo I missed a threat and we were detracked by I think a rocket launcher. Another marnid from the same direction as the previous one engaged us, and I killed it as it disabled our tank. I was injured as the tank exploded, but my comrades saved me.

We made our way to the AAA position and scavenged what we could as the team was dead. Someone grabbed a PCML and I got a backpack of explosives. We were ordered into the town by whoever had command at that point, and quickly moved. It rapidly became apparent that all but the South eastern blockade were dead, so I recommended reinforcing them and Evans agreed. We made our way there and after restocking selected a nearby building to hold. I was forced to take alternative cover and was then killed. Good game overall, enjoyed it. Good squad leader/tank commander as well, and a good mission!!

Warriors without banners
(Grenadier)
This mission went much worse for me. I was in Mishas squad, and after a bit of driving in pitch black we arrived at the ambush sight. It wasn't ideal but it would do. We had good sight lines etc. We were organized quickly and effectively, and my squad was essentially the blocking force, to prevent and trucks getting through. Me and Mjonir were ordered onto the southern side of the road as the last line of defence.

This would've gone much better had the BRDM hit the AT mine, but such is life. As it came screaming towards us we opened up on the convo, and the BRDM and truck sped through. I turned to engage and was swiftly dispatched by the technical that was driving down the road. Not a good day to be me. Nevertheless a good mission and an enjoyable end to my night!
Prince of Persia IV
(04-08-2016, 01:22 AM)Stagwine link Wrote:Locate & link up with Major Namdar. Rescue & retrieve his backpack.
Major Namdar
That was one hell of experience. On mission start I picked up the sensitive intel and looked up to the sky, trying to locate the big dipper. I failed and relied on the moon. Placing it at my back as I move should keep me oriented somewhat to the north, where the RV points awaits.
I moved carefully from cover to cover. Ahead lied a large office building and since being unarmed made me feel uncomfortable, I decided to look for loot there. I found a fellow soldier body inside, searched it and found a Rook pistol with one mag. I climbed up to look around and a NATO guy on a close crane detected me, he opened up and I returned fire, causing the idiot to climb down. He's lucky I had so few bullets so I held my fire when I had 4 bullets left. I cursed myself for using most of my ammo without even killing the bastard, and moved back down.
I crossed a wide road next to a fuel station and spotted a single sentry across. Damn me if I let such an opportunity go. I sneaked around him and moved closer on his right flank. I opened up and on the last fourth bullet he fell. I quickly nicked his vest and MX rifle and ran back into the shadows. The RV church seemed closer than ever. I spotted a distant wrecked building and moved in. That's when I first heard a Namer APC. When I moved out to the street I saw it, and decided to move back into the wrecked building. When it was too late a NATO soldier at the other side I failed to spot earlier shot me. I bled and knew that's it the end for me and that I won't be able to regroup with the extraction team. Bleeding heavily, I crawled to a chemlight that someone placed on the road, hoping it would make it easier for the friendlies to spot me and acquire the intel, and there I died.

Thank you team FHQ and Variable for trying so hard to make the server work!!!
Rainy Day
(Team Leader Stag-2)

Without the AK snipers for yesteryear, the mission was much more doable, although we still more or less all died. Opposition in the village was pretty fierce. I think the only major mistake of our Dear Leader was to keep the APC back for so long, with proper positioning hull-down somewhere on the ridge behind us it could have made a difference, especially with its 40mm grenade launcher.

Twilight Struggle
(Crewman in Charlie)

I admit this mission is brutal (I need to rebuild something of a reputation for tough ass missions). I think, however, that it is doable. Charlie team needs to really dig in and try to avoid getting into contact, which we essentially did the second time around. The BMP was a problem, and it probably cost us McGregor. But the convoy was ambushed, and so I think the amount and proximity of units near the convoy is justified. More are moving in from other sides, but after around 5 minutes, the air support will arrive and that will make a difference.

QRT needs to push push push. When they come under fire, gunners must suppress the hell out of them. The biggest danger is the technicals. I might reduce that, and remove RPG-Gunners from the ambush team, although that makes little tactical sense.

Day on a Farm
(Squad Lead)

The mission is brutal (says the author of "Twilight Struggle" hehe). We did not see the extra launchers/ammo at the base so we quickly ran out of AT, and that means we got overrun by the armor. Not one of my most glorious commands.

One thing (not about my team): If your team leader orders you to not shoot at something, you DO NOT SHOOT at something.

Hot Potato
(RPG gunner and brethren to Altair, the Eagle)

At this point, the dreaded "You selected a different difficulty but fuck you I'm Arma" bug for 1.58 struck again and we got all the nice things like cross hairs, name tags, third person view etc.

Mission setup is very cool, as Takistani insurgents steal US MRAPS from an Army base. I think Varanon really liked his role as "The Eagle" Big Grin Solid leading from Stag, but things went downhill once we were detected. Chopper was pretty much nailing us with door gunner fire, and the superior technology of the imperialistic Americans did the rest.

Eyes on Target
(Squad Lead)

Recon missions are rare, and even more rare are good ones. This was an excellent one.

I decided to check the FIA outpost and we promptly ran into a CSAT patrol. I left Etzu and Val on overwatch (Sniper and Medic) and went with Varanon down to the building after our CSAT guest had left. We found a couple of dead FIA guys and a file mentioning increased heavy lifter traffic on a road to the east of us, which hinted at the artillery.

Just when we were about to leave an Iffrit arrived with another CSAT dude. Varanon shot him through the window, and we quietly left the place.

We found a good overwatch position on near the church overwatching the whole Sofia valley. The artillery and command post were relatively easy to spot, but the location of the mortor rifle platoon first escaped us. When we saw an APC on the road going westwards, I decided to follow it and we eventually hit the platoon and relayed the info back to HQ. Up to then, only two shots were fired (one in the house, and one on a guy that was investigating the church).

HQ asked us to drop artillery on the three target. I have to admit that was way too easy with the damnable positions visible on the map, so dispatching the Motor rifle platoon and command post was rather easy. We retreated back onto the ridgeline north of the AO. There, I made my one and only mistake. We looked for the artillery and eventually found it, calling in an artillery strike of our own, while Varanon was guding a LGB onto the command post. I overstayed our welcome there, and eventually a helicopter spotted us.

Then all hell broke lose.

We retreated hastily, I dropped shit ton of smoke and harassing artillery fire on our backs. It was an extremely close call, but we eventually got back to our boat and extracted under angry machinegun fire.

Good job team and your competent leader. Only major issue was Etzu staying too long on the hill, apparently he hadn't heard that I ordered a retreat, but that meant we were slowed down and almost bought the farm.

Loved that mission. Not a shot fired by me, but it was awesome.
Rainy Day
(annoyed god)

Headless client worked nicely although in this mission it wasn't that necessary. One group refused to move, but I can't say if it was HC, ASR or some other issue. Happens but it made me annoyed.

This is a very straight forward mission. This time Lego chose to approach from forest. It was likely a good idea but resistance is tough. You are assaulting fortified positions with MG nests, snipers and one ZU-23 truck. They are however stationary targets and you have AAV-7 Beach Monster to support. That beached whale packs  .50 cal and 40mm with truckload of ordnance to both. It can turn the village into a smoking parking lot if need be. I think leader wasn't aware of the firepower potential and wanted to keep it safe. Mission was still possible to complete but now the objective was much tougher cookie.  You had one team flanking you and a BRDM-2 in the main village.

The fishing settlement had two technicals, one of them static and a truck as QRF.  Truck was blown up before it could unload the troops but the mobile technical surprised you. However you didn't give up and finished it with only one man standing!

Twilight struggle
(Chicken aka engineer)

My team was the golden geese. Maverick was the only medic and I was the only engi. My death would fail the mission so I spent most of my time admiring interior textures of Ridgeback (turning out = bad idea).  I did see the map on second attempt as I had to repair the vehicle but it didn't help very long. I have no idea what we were up against but considering the hectic radio traffic and sounds of rounds hitting the hull I missed a nice lightshow.  I think it was valiant two efforts and great job from Sphoenix as always. Look forward to try again.

Day Pitch black night on a farm
(A fluffy god)

Well the night was dark and full of..um. Lightning? White phosphor? Tanks?

I honestly have no idea whether this mission is monumentally frustrating, challenging or just dumb. The Thing for the mission is a night battle under artillery battlefield illumination. If it won't work, mission won't work. It isn't a bad experience even on daylight but I've intended it as a night fight.

There is artillery pounding on you on start (it is quite experience with Dynasound) and you have relatively little time to prepare. Alwarren's plan was solid and it made sense. In start you have to locate enemy mortar team firing, deal with recon BTR and later on you have tanks, infantry, enemy amphibious landing, all the fun.  It is doable but this likely requires few tries with trial and error to see what works.

Start went quite well. Your TOW gunner eliminated arriving BTR recon team, you took out mortar operator and dealt with first set of tanks. (Un) fortunately tanks didn't follow their waypoints and lead tanks got stuck > all of them got stuck. It gave you few minutes extra until they steamrolled through the farm to crossroads, and eliminated the supply trucks.

Couple of things to help:

- HMVs have 2 M136 launchers/vehicle
- Crates at farm entrance have extra flares, ammo, launchers, AT mines with quadbikes and carryall bags to distribute them. I likely should put a marker so players are aware of this at mission start.

Youth of Nation
(TL Shadow 2)

I liked the mission idea but I didn't like the shield. My team's job was to move in from south to prevent the execution of taking place. Sneak to the site was uneventful although I spotted firefight to our right. I wanted to avoid it  and concentrated keeping on the move.

We soon realized Shadow-1 was KIA and upon reaching the execution site there was nothing for us to do. I spotted hostiles at north, close, and got killed by friendly fire (sniper). 

Hot potato
(SL Alpha)

I too enjoyed the mission setup. We could already see the target area and it was relatively short hike. We had certain loadout issues but considering mission scope it made sense. Not even the Eagle's cell can have it all.

We started pushing to village and Outlawz's team went after optional target. Upon reaching outskirts of town I went to minaret tower to get a better look as I was expecting some sadistic surprise. We had short skirmish with approaching infantry  and during our push to airfield I got shot enroute to airfield. Huey managed to take off and even the Eagle got their feathers ruffled.

To do better:

We should have just pushed faster to airfield. My chosen route turned out to be good and there wasn't that much opposition. Just keep it moving, and grab the vehicles. I also forgot to use the assistant cell to south.

Eyes on target
(It is difficult to say you are a god and remain modest)

This time I decided to build the most encounters and detection rules by hand. Premise was that enemy is not expecting the team, and if they stay hidden as recon team should, they won't be magically detected either.

Detection won't occur unless there is clear audible firefight or a visual detection. Recon teams position won't be relayed to 'upper echelon' unless team leader or above receives information of their location, one way or another. In other words, remaining hidden is rewarded but one or two quick firefights with grunt sentries won't make the mission impossible. However if player IS detected, time will work against them. Enemy reinforcements aren't instant, but they are numerous.

Patrols were put to reasonable locations. There is no need for entire infantry platoon to patrol in middle of forest unless there is a reason for it.

Alwarren's recon team moved smartly, and eliminated sentries at FIA hut and chapel silently. Neither of them knew what hit them. It was fun to watch them to recce the motor rifle platoon at very close range, sneak in and out, and remain undetected. Well done!

Team was now ordered to call in artillery to spotted targets. When the shells started falling, enemy assumed there is a spotter somewhere and sent helicopter to reconnoiter the hilltops, aka most logical locations. Team was spotted in open hilltop. Closest unit to respond was the motor rifle platoon. In this case it was just pummeled to pieces by called artillery and Marids were either incapacitated or destroyed. As a result only one fireteam and a sentry pair went to search for the player. Had a Marid survived and went after the team the outcome might have been quite different.  Other enemy units further were sent to intercept the recon team and one special forces team was air dropped to nearby hilltop.  From now on it was running a gauntlet. More time you take, more the odds stack up against you. There was one patrol boat, armed Ifrit and two full squads approaching. A good move was to use the (bugged, you were supposed to have only few firemissions) artillery support against chasing hostiles.

It got very very close in the end but you made it. Awesome.
(04-25-2016, 05:56 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:Youth of Nation
(TL Shadow 2)

I liked the mission idea but I didn't like the shield. My team's job was to move in from south to prevent the execution of taking place. Sneak to the site was uneventful although I spotted firefight to our right. I wanted to avoid it  and concentrated keeping on the move.

We soon realized Shadow-1 was KIA and upon reaching the execution site there was nothing for us to do. I spotted hostiles at north, close, and got killed by friendly fire (sniper). 

I assume AI got pulled to the NW/N of the town to engage Shadow 1/Thunder 1 due to ASR AI.

Shields have been deleted and now Police Units should have MP5A5 and AA12s.

Police Units should be hard to be mistaken for enemy units. Enemy have masks/shamags etc.
Flycatcher
(Medic in Alpha)

Going through the town obviously was a good idea, since it worked against the vehicles. The AT gunners all did a great job at taking them out, that was one of the biggest dangers removed. The reduceDamage=1 however was too much, so we removed it after the mission.

Solid lead by Lego and later Stag after we lost Lego in that factory. Also, awesome shot by Varanon on the plane during take-off and for taking out that gunship; we would have been pretty fucked if that one was still around when we retreated.

All in all, the mission completed was deserved.

Greenback Mountain
(Machinegunner in Alpha)

Planning and execution were solid. It was a good idea to use the mortar to carve a path into the forest, and good job on McG's team on taking out that Mora APC. It all went pretty smoothly up until we reached the tower on top of Green Mountain.

Personally, I was diced by one of the machine guns at the main gate. Should have used a grenade on it instead of trying to peek out. Oh well. The rest of the team didn't fare well either, but when the compound was under control about half the team had survived and at that point there was a realistic chance that the mission could be completed.

Two mistakes, I think, were made there.

1) One of the tucks should have been moved away from the explosion before detonating, that would have made it possible to quickly get away
2) It would have been better to put the explosives on timer and retreat before blowing it up

The reinforcements kept streaming in, and at the end of the day only three guys were left alive, and were dispatched by enemies when they got out of the forest.

Nice try, though Smile

LZ Under Fire
(naked JTAC)

"I am a JTAC. I shall die a JTAC"
"A naked JTAC, apparently"

Well, after starting the round without my uniform or anything else but a rifle, I concluded that nothing is better than being all pissed and having your tube steak swing "al fresco" style, so we advanced under Evans' leadership to the farm house near the path instead of the construction site we usually occupy. The mistake made here I think was that we tried way too early to get into the chopper, and that there was no communication/coordination with the plane. The plane should be used to soften up the resistance, otherwise there will be half a gazillion barrels pointing at the helicopter. It didn't survive long.

Lost Squad
(Apache Pilot)

Not much to say. I had trouble controlling the chopper, and I hate how Kimi's head up display always makes my NVG's flare. We made it to the lost squad without any enemy contact. Was over pretty quickly.

VIP one (2x)
(Squad Lead)

Not much to say about this one, the mission stands and falls with the AT shot at the BTR in the beginning, and our AT gunner managed to miss. Twice. From 20 Meters Big Grin

Winter's Tale
(Rifleman)

I love the atmosphere on this mission. It was touch and go at some points, especially at the house on the island after we found the boats, and I think we lost Valhalian there. Other than that, execution was fine; this mission is hard to predict since there is no information in the briefing, you get the stuff piecemeal since HQ doesn't know what is going on either.

Bottom line: Good games yesterday Smile
In general: TT nights have been some of most fun coop nights for me. This was no exception.

Flycatcher [FHQ]
(Grenadier - Alpha)

Capture CSAT base, commandeer AAA, shoot down a jet taking off

This was/is a great mission and I can see how this took you many tries. I like the concept and the fact you are a guerrilla force, undermanned, undergunned, and you just have to make do.

Thanks to Legos leadership we made it to the factory with very little casualties (if any). Leader chose to hole up by the highway, deal with approaching vehicles and infantry there. It worked out well and we eliminated the patrolling vehicles, aka the biggest threats. Push to factory was mostly dealings with sporadic infantry.

However while setting up at the factory we met unexpected resistance which cost us few casualties, including leader. I took over and things started going down up the hill. I wanted to keep the momentum and move as soon as possible. I wasn't sure what we are dealing with but I wanted to push up the hill lest we get surrounded. Alpha started push to hilltop camp and Bravo covered/followed.

Opposition wasn't that tough but we started taking fire from behind us as well. At this point I wanted to clear the hillside ASAP and just push to camp. Resistance inside wasn't that tough but we had to deal with armed Ifrit. Fortunately it hadn't spotted us so we had a chance to take a shot while undetected. Problem was, we were still under fire from behind, and we lost Freeman, our AT. Mjolnir took the launcher, and Varanon set up for a shot as well. Our AT eliminated the Ifrit and we pushed to camp itself. Bravo flanked left, and my team moved right. Unnamed + MJ took overwatch at cargo tower and we located our target, AAA.

Alpha provided overwatch and Bravo was to take control of AAA. Varanon had the job as a gunner, and he soon spotted a jet taking off from the airbase at a distance. Missiles and tracer fire  = scratch one jet, primary task complete.

Now we had to bug out. Extraction was 2 kms away and I assumed we had truckload of infantry moving our way from airfield. I wanted to move ASAP. While organizing chaotic transport arrangements we spotted enemy gunship. Varanon's gunnery here saved the team.

Doveman's Bravo took over derelict Ifrit and started moving to extraction. We had no space for everyone in available vehicles. Sending teams to extraction separatedly was a risk but I wanted to move ASAP. MJ, Alwarren, Unnamed followed with commandeered Tigris, and I eventually found myself a truck.  Tigris crew had couple of encounters with hostiles enroute to extraction, but eventually all teams made it to extraction. Mission complete.

Great work people, great mission.

Greenback mountain [FHQ]
(Commander)

Destroy communications array. Destroy AA assets.

Need a cure to low blood pressure? Need to raise heart rate without exercising? Try leading FHQ mission. 
I still had our last attempt of this mission in my memory. It was delicious, murderous and wonderfully chaotic.

I had ALIAS as a medic and my combat buddy, MJ commanding Alpha (general purpose fireteam), Valhalian commanding Bravo (mg) and McGregor commanding Charlie (demo). 

I followed roughly the same plan as Misha did last time. Push to farm, hole up, deal with spotted contacts and liberally use the mortar fire to open the path to objective. Move to mast under cover of forest, stack up on the wall, detonate the wall, and breach through it. I wanted to avoid the main entrance and 2 HMGs.

Thanks to my excellent team leaders the first 3/4th of a mission went very very smoothly. Clearing farm was short and brutal, but we didn't suffer permanent casualties. We spotted several infantry contacts to forest and our flanks, and I called in mortar fire to deal with them.

I wanted to keep up the momentum and as soon the forest was pelted with mortar fire, teams started their push.  Despite mortar barrage we ran to resistance at forest edge which cost us our medic. At this time we also encountered a vehicle, but Charlies AT dealt with it. We continued our push. MJ's Alpha was our pathfinder and Bravo and Charlie followed. We evaded two patrols during our transit and as a result we got to tower somewhat intact. After last attempts experiences I was paranoid about Blue on Blue in forest and I kept teams in relatively close formation.

After short firefight at tower MJ informed me they have found suitable spot for breach. McGregors demo specialists set up charges, and we detonated the wall. I was victim of the rare but wonderfully annoying TP bug which teleported me back to farm. Shortly after it, I was killed and my watch was ended. 

What I observed from sky:

I see basically two options. 1) Hole up at base,  turn it to Alamo, man .50 cals, and deal with the arriving reinforcements there like MJ suggested. 2) Follow Alwarren's tip and breach/clear the compound FAST. Put charges to 5 min timer, grab a truck, and put pedal to metal and bug out before reinforcements arrive.

Mission wise:

One of best Arma missions I have experienced. Great setup.  I have a thing for night missions with illumination flares. Fantastic mood. I liked that mortar was available, but it couldn't be abused to nuke everything. It helped, but there was still close quarters customer service to be done.

One small detail. Group setup. Excellent. Mission makers, learn from this. Separate grp for a commander with a medic. Three fireteams with distinct flavours. We had one fireteam with heavy MG, one with marksman, and specialized demolitions team. This emphasizes fireteams concept: use of your team leaders instead of micromanaging a big chunk of a squad. It gives TLs sense of purpose, it gives specialists sense of purpose. Fun for all.

Mission also had a cool title picture. It also had a GoT quote. I liked.

(04-29-2016, 04:21 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:In general: TT nights have been some of most fun coop nights for me. This was no exception.

Flycatcher [FHQ]
(Grenadier - Alpha)

Thanks to Legos leadership we made it to the factory with very little casualties (if any). 

The first strider demolished Evans and I at the beginning.  :'(
Kitkat Boom
(Some dude with a Lee Enfield)

Went as expected, I really don't know how we should deal with the QRT without them hanging us like spaghetti from the trees.

Summer Rain
(Commander LAV-25)

This mission would have been much more enjoyable for me if the LAV-25 was actually used.

The mission was a success, and I really liked it, but as the Commander of the LAV I didn't really have much to do and I can only imagine how it would have been for the driver. The LAV is a real force multiplier, and should be used more aggressively IMO.

It took me a while to get to the right level of communication within the LAV crew, and I apologize to Varanon for a few misleading commands. Once we reached a certain point, though, things started to go smoothly.

The same cannot be said about the communication with the infantry. I'd like to point out that in spite of a rotating periscope, the view in the LAV for the commander even is rather limited. Hence, "Go support Bravo" is not a command that an LAV commander can make any sense of; most of the time, I had no idea where our guys were in relation to the machine. A command to the LAV should contain coordinates, compass directions, or something of that nature. The situational awareness inside this tin can is rather limited.

The same goes for directions like "Forward" (I think I complained to my crew once during the mission that I have no fucking clue what "forward" is supposed to mean. The same was true about the chopper. "LAV, shoot down the chopper" without a direction wasn't going to work well, it was coincidence that I spotted it at all since the range of the periscope upwards is also limited.

I'm not trying to complain here, nor do I want to blame anything on the squad leader (Evans, after McG had died). I am trying to point out the shortcomings in Infantry->IFV/Armour communication.

All Alone
(VDV Automatic Rifleman)

I am not sure I want to even talk about it. I'll modify it so that the mission fails when the Spetsnaz team is killed (interesting side note, Chrome's dictionary wants to correct "Spetsnaz" to "Netscape". Coincidence?)

Key to this mission is that the Spetsnaz team stays hidden. Hint: When you see a sniper on the load screen of any of my mission, it is meant as a gentle hint that you'll get shot at from above. Really, it's a recurring theme. You see a sniper on a minaret tower or on a crane - there will be snipers on minarets and cranes, and other elevated positions. I never meant to say it this clearly, since I had hoped the picture would raise a certain awareness, but I guess most people only take a quick glance at the load screen anyway.

One thing I want to mention is that if anybody starts a sentence that goes like "Mind if I spoil something", then you a) have already said too much and b) Yes, yes I *do* mind getting spoilers.
It was Den in this case, but the shout goes to everyone that things like that. Now, it might seem that you said this because you knew the mission was lost, but that isn't your call to make. If you think you are wasting your time playing a mission that is already lost, simply disconnect.

Coming of Shadows
(Villager with an RPG-7)

The rare occurrence when I like my own missions, but I guess I could rest assured that if something bad happened with it, I could always blame Bohemia Interactive for the original.

I missed the first shot on the BRDM, luckily it wasn't too pissed at me so I could take a second shot which hit it and took out half of the squad next to it along with it. We then tried to evac, found a truck by the supermarket (that was conveniently placed there by the mission maker) and I promptly shot Stag because I expected him to be one of the three Chedaki that I had placed near the truck. Sometimes, knowledge can be a problem. We finally made our getaway with the UAZ, picking Variable up on the way.

The mission was intended to be played without the text chat or radios, but in absence of a briefing phase, I suppose it was okay. Normally, during the briefing we would have agreed to bugger out and would have made a plan for a pickup point if we found a vehicle.

But, things went okay I guess.

Operation Doru
(Marksman)

Two hunters at the beginning of the mission were locked. WTF, so we were supposed to hike for 2.5 kilometers? I conjured up two unarmed hunters through the power of my intellect and gigantic "magic wand". The first thing that happened was that we got showered by mortar fire ("Take cover"? In the middle of freaking nowhere?). We then approached point 1, and the mission ended.

I think I was rather thankful for that. The mission looked interesting, but it has IMO a few flaws, namely:
1) The pilot is going to have to wait a long time if this had gone to the mission maker's plan of us hiking to the AA sites.
2) Hiking almost 3 kilometers.
3) Out-of-the-blue artillery fire. If they can reach twenty meters up the road, they could have as well dropped their arty on the US FOB that was literally a hundred meters behind us.
4) Did I mention 3 kilometer hikes?

Don't get me wrong, I am not minding a long hike, not if there is a reason behind it. But drawing out this part of a mission while someone waits for the result... not good.

Black Needle
(Rifleman)

In spite of a few hiccups, the mission was nice. I found the placement of enemies a bit illogical, since they seemed to be positioned right on top of our extraction, but other than that, opposition wasn't over the top like in so many other missions, and it wasn't drawn out to 3 kilometer hikes. The only nitpick I have is that there was no "real" insertion or extraction. I really don't like it when you suddenly get a mission end and it feels like you are still in the middle of it. But then, I know how fucking difficult it can be to make a reliable extraction where your chopper doesn't go chasing after imaginary foes, so I am not holding it against him.
Great games last night.
One request - if possible, and nothing is urgent to communicate, please let custom radio messages play to the end and do not interrupt them. The mission makers put a lot of efforts on implementing custom radio messages and sounds and it's a shame to miss them due to mundane radio traffic.
KitKat Boom
(Some dude with SMG)

I am not sure either. I think we need to charge down the hill ASAP so we can ggrab RPGs and AKs with GP-25s. There are vehicles incoming from every direction including one BRDM-2 from the east.  Technicals are very vulnerable to 40mms/gunfire if we just spot them first.

Summer rain
(grumpy old god)

Follow the brown rabbit on the forest road. 

Beef of the mission is co-op between LAV and infantry. Forest is thick and full of terrors so your vehicles thermals are best way to spot trouble before it hits you. Infantry scouts and clears the way, Bushmaster deals with spotted contacts. Grunts keep the vehicle running and clears buildings. Something like that. In start this worked quite well and LAV kept the infantry on the flanks at bay on the forest road.

I was surprised Beach Monster (LAV) wasn't utilized more in the farm defense, however Evans (acting leader) teleporting 500m away in middle of it all didn't help.

I assume that people want to keep vehicles safe as they never last. In this mission there were no guided ATs except with BTR-90s (2 of them). There are RPG gunners in limited amounts but CUP RPGs arent sniper rifles. Engagement range is relatively short and AI misses even stationary targets with CUP RPGs. If people keep eyes open, vehicle is quite survivable.

All that is easy to say from above. I can imagine things have looked different on the ground. : )  Vehicle- infantry interaction doesn't happen in every mission so it just takes practice. In general both leaders did well and props for Evans immediately stepping up after McG was killed in action by the roadblock. 

All Alone [FHQ]
(TL- VDV team Boris)

Assault airfield to provide diversion for Anton. Use signal flares to communicate.

One of the best mission ideas! This was something different and there were plenty of options. Karma is a bitch and designer of Winter's pack was now in middle of the snowy pea soup. Unfortunately severe technical issues  delayed the start. I also chose perhaps too cautious approach, although Variables idea of capturing the boats in start made too much sense not to try it. We encountered further desync/jip delays at boat stash. As it was last chance to get latecomers sensibly aboard I chose to wait. Eventually I sent McGregor's team to do advanced scouting but we had wasted valuable extra mins at that point and it made people grumpy. I also spotted green flare at a distance and I mistook it for Anton-squad's flare. Plenty of confusion all around! When we eventually got to disembark point, we had JIPpers from A- team joining, indicating a wipeout for Anton. We decided to terminate the mission.

I really, really want to play this again. I can give Boris-team lead another go. I don't think my plan was that bad and I am curious to see how this unfolds.

I also didn't think that I could TRANSMIT on LR. Anton just cannot RESPOND but I can provide them update of our progress! That didn't even cross my mind!

Coming of Shadows [FHQ]
(NAPA hit team SL)

This was a fun mission. No frills very simple stuff.  Problem was that we started mission accidentally and I had to plan stuff on the fly. We probably could have chosen more straight forward approach but I wanted to hit the BRDM and spotted enemy group by church from behind.  Insertion took time but Sphoenix as my good pointman we managed to sneak in undetected to strike distance of our target. Sneaking from hut to hut in village in moonlight was hell of a experience! As a downside there was long wait for Variable, our sniper aid.

We opened up, surprised the enemy, destroyed the BRDM and the firefight was over in 2 minutes. Variables SVD gunshots at distance were comforting. I got killed by green-on-green as we were to commandeer a truck and get out. Happens, especially clothing is similar on both sides.

As mentioned, premature start disturbed the planning. I am cool with text chat, but this would have been better without. Now it was de facto mandatory to uphold sanity. I see two options.

1) Short ranges only for TLS. Etzu Hot potato style. Cheap chinese 'hunting VHF'. Not unreasonable even for poor guerrillas.
2) No radios none so ever. TL gets AK with UBL and tons of flares. IMHO mission like this is perfect for comms with flares. Classic guerrilla style. It just requires pre-planning.

Even if we completed this, I would like to play this again with proper pre-planning just for cool experience.

Black needle
(Medic)

I enjoyed this mission. Briefing was missing and tasks were here and there, but it was simple nice setup which offered some hairy firefights. I was killed 500m from extraction but in general I enjoyed the experience.  Looking forward more from the author.

Summer rain

I had trouble with my longrange transmissions not getting through. I repeated most of my transmissions and asked for a call back, but sometimes you simply forget.
I wasn't aware that the view from the LAV was that limited, mental note added.

Since I started playing with CiA it has always been a priority to keep any and all vehicles safe. That is why I acted the way I did.
(05-02-2016, 04:46 PM)Evans link Wrote:Since I started playing with CiA it has always been a priority to keep any and all vehicles safe. That is why I acted the way I did.
The priority is keeping most, if not all, players engaged in the experience in most, if not all, of the mission time. Maybe pushing vehicle crews too far might get them killed prematurely, but keeping them back is certainly not achieving this priority.

I heard a lot of fire from the LAV, personally I thought it was having a lot of action.
(05-02-2016, 04:56 PM)Variable link Wrote:I heard a lot of fire from the LAV, personally I thought it was having a lot of action.

That wasn't my experience. For most of the mission we hung back. There was sporadic encounters, and sometimes I turned out and just fired my machine gun at suspected target for suppression, but I didn't even go through my second magazine.

I don't consider that action for the LAV either, only for the gunner. As a commander I had next to nothing to do. I would have preferred a bit more autonomy for the LAV, but for 90% of the mission the order was to hang back.

I am not saying I would have done it any other way, nor do I want to blame anyone for it. I am merely reporting how I perceived the mission. I definitely liked the bits of action, but I wish I had picked an infantry slot instead (especially after watching treendy's video) because as it was, I was pretty bored most of the time. Which was not the fault of the mission, nor the fault of anyone else, it's the problem that we are so scared all the time that vehicles will break that we don't use them.