Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think another option would be Bravo can attempt to go down into the mountain and through the ditch and hopefully the crew don't detect us then. It's close and personal option.
Volga Boatman
It was definitely a mistake to give Bravo a green like to move in before Alpha was in position too. For some reason or none whatsoever I thought it's just a matter of time before the trucks flee so I preferred  having one team attacking than no team at all, while Alpha strolled slowly in the river.
A mistake in my judgement that cost us the mission.

Tanks
I should have been clearer on the last phase of the attack on the base and ordered the tank platoon to only fire on infantry carrying ATs, and stay far from the base. However, if you are operating a tank, and there are other friendly infantry squads l, be mindful and limited when using your weapons, leaving no targets for the infantry is always an issues in Arma coop. Communicate about that with the mission commander to remove any doubt.

Missing in Action
I flew the gunship with Varanon. After the first touchdown of the transport LB, I was sure there are no more friendlies on-site and switched over to mop-up mode. I could have easily fired on the remaining friendlies and only luck and a blinded with blood copilot prevented that. That should have been communicated better. In addition, ground teams must be in constant radio contact with their CAS asset, reporting enemy contact, requesting specific runs on threatening enemy targets and providing BDA. Instead, there was complete silence. If no targets are available, periodically notify the pilot that there are non.
Yeah, i know that my communication is lacking when I lead.
But the only way I can get better is to keep leading, and there will most likely be more lacking communication before i get the hang of it.

The reason I did'nt task the gunship was that the contacts we came upon was rather sporadic and widely scattered and there was no greater danger, like a technical or armored vehicle, in the vicinity.

Since the premise of the mission is multiple extraction runs I did'nt think of clearify that there were still boots on the ground. But I will keep it in mind and try to be more specific
Yeah, I remember thinking that the infantry team must have took a lot of casualties to make a single run possible. I should have checked to confirm, too.
Mike Station

A nice mission, it was pretty easy but could have just as well turned into a slaughter. Brad did a good job with the APC, took it out on the first hit, and the rest of my team took out the gun on the Hunter, thus eliminating the most dangerous threats. The rest was mostly mopping up, and not getting shot by some damn clippers.

Tank Fest

Had to abort this one due to problems with disconnects and misbehaving AI. I still hold that to be effective a tank has to have three human players - see my arguments elsewhere on the forum.

Volga Boatmen

The big one. The strategy worked out, this time we really wiped up everything. Dunno if Zeus held back the trucks or not, but in general, I think we did well.

My highlight was, obviously, my insane dash to the Shilka, placing to explosive charges on it (I wanted to be sure) and running away from it, blowing the bombs. I wish I had recorded that, dammit. I had a real adrenaline rush there, in hindsight it seems ridiculous but in the moment, I really nearly wet myself.

Free Press

I liked that one a lot. I hope the hostage positions are randomized, it would be great if we could try this again, also because we had quite a bit of losses.

I really wish that Arma had better CQB. As it is now, it's hardly anything to write home about. I think a major fix would be something like this:

(starting at 3.35)

(EDIT also: Muzzle Flashes!)

Apparently, Arma 3 already has a similar animation - if you look around in the MH-9 while having your weapon ready, if you look far enough over to the guy next to you on the skids you will automatically raise your weapon. Something like this needs to be in to make CQB matter.

Operation Foley

What are the odds of having to free a hostage from the same building complex in the next mission? Well now we know Smile

In the beginning, at the wall of the compound, I tarried too long, should have moved earlier. The mines were a nasty surprise, I should have left Den take point but at that time I had forgotten about it.

Heavy losses in this one, but I doubt it can be done any cleaner, there is just way too many enemies in the compound. Definitely more than 20.
Hostage positions are randomized Smile
Mike station

It was nice to play mission on Stratis again for a change. I was just assistant MGer in Variables team and the guys above my pay grade did all the smart and right decisions. It was fun no frills mission with some good firefights. Alpha took heavy casualties when breaching the compound and I was left alone with Den. We RVd with infantry and cleared rest of compound.

Tank fest

I'm sorry I messed your mission. Client crashes are so trivial. Total surprise reboot and corruption of Arma launcher ftw. Last time we played this the initial setup and deciding who is whose playmate in a tank was a regular mess. I assume it wasn't any easier this time.

We heard good arguments with AI as driver vs full human crew. I tend to encourage the latter.  It emphasizes teamwork and coop. Human driver who listens comms and is responsive just works much better for me. Sure, with AI you can field slightly larger number of tanks, but if you want AI to boost numbers, I recommend using entire AI tank in High Command mode. AI driver works sharply with vanilla  in lag-free environment but for example with RHS vehicles the drivers have more issues than my ex gf. I don't know. It just doesn't work for me  but your experience may vary. Even then, make each vehicle a separate group regardless who is driving. I also found the Titan missiles sci-fi. Better to have dedicated tanks, and smal dedicated infantry AT-team. Otherwise this is a fun good mission.

CSI

90% urban setting this time. Good start until my team suffered 60% casualties when we came under fire from both ends of the street at same time. Smart thing to do = dash to cover at same millisecond if you are ambushed and not to attempt return fire in open. There weren't that many targets and we got upper hand but it was costy. Learn from your leaders (this case mines) mistakes. After that it was a urban hike with some good firefights with McG and Manuel until we linked with Alpha. Thanks to Bravo team and great job A-actual aka Evans. CSI is always a good snack.

Volga boatmen

Sharp execution all teams! I didn't hold back the trucks. First one managed to get away initially but you stopped it to midtown with rifle fire. Second one never got away as the driver never made it to truck. Variables Alpha-team cut him down near the logistics hub.

My biggest worries were AI. For some reason groups meant to ambush you didn't move an inch and did not respond to my waypoints. I had to delete them and add new ones manually. Not a biggie but lot of manual work.

One of toughest moments was the patrol boat. You have to score a direct hit. If warhead hits water, there is no shrapnel/splash damage. It did pretty good job pinning you down. I had to grab a late night phone call and missed watching the sniper teams pistol vs 40mm assault  8)

Other tough one was Shilka. Planting the charges was a great move! Looks like all teams had their slice of action. After a bit of a confusion with transport options, both teams made it back and reported in.
(02-08-2016, 03:35 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:One of toughest moments was the patrol boat. You have to score a direct hit. If warhead hits water, there is no shrapnel/splash damage. It did pretty good job pinning you down. I had to grab a late night phone call and missed watching the sniper teams pistol vs 40mm assault  8)

we were both out of rifle ammo and since AA threat was high we didn't want to ask command for resupplies, the AI were all facing away from us, but magic AI sensing allowed them to notice us in the bushes even before we fired the first shots and the turret turned on and massaged us into the ground.
I had probably missjudged how heavily alfa was pinned and though we had to relive them by at least distracting the boat.
Mike Station
The Orca lifted my team in position to attack from the east while Bravo got set with the UGV support  on the western side. It seemed only logical to attack from the east and avoid the open ground that was covered by the enemy's heavy weapons. My team was exposed by infantry teams patrolling the eastern approach. For some reason, the Darter UAV missed them. Given my plan, I should have been more clear about the necessity to confirm that the approach routes to Mike station are clear, and even request real time Darter monitoring while we moved into assault positions at the base's walls. I'm glad I switched command over McGregor's CAS bird to Bravo, they were in a much better position to provide target relay and BDA.
We were jumped right before I gave the order to Bravo to open up. We took out a patrol or two and pushed forward, I knew the way to win this is to break into the base as fast as we can and gain a foothold inside. Unfortunately, that cost us blood. The last thing I did before I got shot in the breach was ordering Bravo to move in, and that concluded my contribution to the mission.

Volga Boatmen
My trivial plan was to have the area covered by the sniper team as Alpha and Bravo assault. I wanted the teams to synchronize their attacks from a set point in the river. However, we detected two enemy targets that forced us to push the attack point eastwards, no big deal, our boats are fast.
My team quickly stormed our assigned compound, setting charges on armament carrying trucks when the sniper team detected a moving truck. I quickly ordered Bravo to its position while my team diverted from its original objective to back them up. Bravo was able to destroy the truck before we were in position.
We continued our systematic search and destroy pattern when we came under heavy fire from down the western street. It was wonderful to hear our sniper team's fire that cleared that threat for us. And then that damn patrol boat shredded us. We took cover and I diverted the sniper team to engage, I suppose I didn't explain how dire the situation was, we were already taking casualties. We missed two AT shots due to the limited zeroing range on the RPG 28s (the target was approximately 350 meters, and it's possible to range it up to 250, we had to manually compensate and missed). Using a smoke cover, we disengaged and continued with the mission.
The scene at the factory was epic, like only a victory over an armored enemy vehicle using stationary explosive can be.
Good morning all,

I have a few concerns from last nights final mission (Winters Pack)

1. It sounded like Alias didn't actually walk too far away, but was shot then teleported to the camp site?

2. I heard Alias call out he was bleeding, only to hear our team leader didn't hear this call shortly after

3. In the Standard Operating Procedure, its clear not to speak while someone else is speaking, however this rule is an exception if we are in direct danger... I called out I had spotted infantry were close and facing us, and was told not to speak by our team leader... maybe this was already apparent, so maybe i didnt need to say anything... but thought better safe than sorry?

4. Brad asked if there are friendlys near by, our team leader confirmed that friendlys are not close enough so anything seen will be enemys... Brad opened fire and was told by Variable to hold fire as he was shooting at friendlys... Also, unsure why, if we were out numbered by enemy, why we didn't regroup with team Alpha if they were so close, instead we walked away from them?

5. I tried to identify all targets and messed up on one, however, I was sure Alias was behind us, also pressed Tilde key, and tried to identify... but because enemy were in the same direction and shooting at us, it seemed clear this was an enemy target... my mistake... I will observe our uniforms anytime we start a mission in future!

6. Also... our team leader asked our Rifleman to plant explosives? then wasn't happy that our rifleman wasn't sure if he had explosives?

Stag... you made me feel very tense and stressed in that mission, so job well done, was perfect, the atmosphere really immersed me in the game, fantastic mission.
I did consider posting this there... but wasn't sure if that was for the full members to write debrefings? also, this is more of a check on how some things should been handled, and some concerns in general

I'm happy for this to be moved to debriefing thread if thats a better place
If you can't remember a mission's name, check here. It records all the missions we play, with data of start and end, so you can just look for the mission you played on that date.
perfect, thanks
Alright, your recollection of yesterday's events is kind of sketchy, let me fill in the blanks for you.

1. Yes, I misinterpreted Alias' reply. He said he was bleeding, I asked him where he was, he said "I am back at the campfire". Only later it became clear that he didn't walk there but glitched, still, for the reasons I have outlined in the teamspeak after the incident, it was a mistake to move that far away. A few meters would have been sufficient, and I expected that. I was unfair to Alias in this (and the next) point.

2. I was the teamleader, I was rather busy. I didn't hear the first callout from him, and the next thing I hear is "I am crawling back". If he had said something like "I'm down and need a medic, crawling back to you" it would have been better because I did not confirm his earlier report. Still, in the heat of the moment, things like that can happen, and I apologize to Alias for that.

3. You were "weapons free". Just open fire on them. I will notice that. But at this point Command was giving me crucial information, which I couldn't hear. There was no reason to ask for permission to engage, we were already being engaged, so just shoot them.

4. That is simply not true. I was already dead when this happened. I still expect you to ID your targets when you shoot something.
What do you mean "walk away from them"? We were moving towards the last position report I got from them, and we were around 150 meters away from them to the south, and moving north. So what do you mean with "walking away from them"?

5. You mistook one target that was literally three meters away from you. If you used mk4 you should have clearly seen that it was Alias right in front of your nose, and not behind you. On top of that he was facing AWAY from you. I had seen movement there as well, didn't even look at it (it was at the corner of my screen). Brought up Mk4, oh, it's Alias, good, no reason to worry. Then I see you aiming that way, and believe it or not I knew you would shoot him. You remember that I said "Stop it you are shooting Alias"?

6. That isn't a very accurate recollection of what happened. Here's the dialog, roughly, from my memory:

Me: Who's got explosives?
Brad: I have
Alias: I have some too
Me: Alright, Brad, plant explosives on both trucks.
Alias: Should I plant on the other one?
Me: Negative, only Brad.
Brad: Oh, I don't have any. Treendy has them.
*pause*
Brad: Oh yeah, I do have some
Me: Alias, plant charges on both trucks.

THAT is how it went. If you were the EOD Tech (which, in hindsight, I think you were because you asked about it in the briefing), why didn't you speak up there and then?

The same confusing happened later when I asked who has got the AT.

So, your account of what happened is pretty inaccurate. I did not ask Brad to plant explosives out of the blue, I specifically ASKED for it, and he POSITIVELY responded to it. The only other response was from Alias. So after that clusterfuck, I ordered Alias to plant the bombs.

This whole episode (and Alias not setting a timer even though he should have heard the LR transmission) was responsible for the long delay we had there.

Don't get me wrong. I have screwed up as well by missing the shot on that guard that was approaching the building,. I am not saying everything is yours, Alias or Brad fault. But that is besides the point. The things I have raised yesterday in TS are pretty valid points, regardless of who was ultimately responsible for the whole thing going south.
Akala Situation

The usual when I lead: I get nervous, don't know what to do, grope for words.. geez, and it usually ends in a mess.

Last night, Akala Situation was my command, and we were practically around the first bend and already both Hummers destroyed. Luckily, the Armor survived, and infantry proceeded on foot for some time, clearing out one of the larger compounds before allowing the armor to advance beyond it. Infantry was mounted up in the M2, with me and Evans procuring a freshly repaired UAZ with Dushka on top.

On the following ridge line, we lost the tank. I don't even know what hit it, but there was infantry around, probably RPG fire.

The next town down the road was the last one before the bridge, we cleared it but suffered some losses. That's when we saw the bridge head just south of us, together with the two tanks and a Shilka. I ordered the M2 around the town, but that was wrong, from there it could only see the tanks, not the Shilka. Getting rid of the Shilka would have been the better option, since it would have opened up the road for the air support. Sadly, I have forgotten about the air support, and so we all ended up Shilka fodder.

Hello Tanoa, part 3

I was in Alpha serving as engineer. I think Evans was the gunner in the UAZ, me the gunner in the SUV (Minigun, yeah! Feels like watering the lawn with a garden hose).

Early on, we were tagged by a chopper coming in low over the hills. On it's second approach, Evans and me succeeded to get it down with concentrated machine- and minigun fire. Proceeding along the road, we had multiple engagements, mostly light vehicles and infantry. Nothing we could handle, although we lost one of the vehicles. Luckily, the repair truck remained functional, and we succeeded in joining forces with Charlie, repair the plane, and, to the sound of around 10000 frogs being molested by 10000 squirrles, perfectly, without totally any incident like running into a tree or such, got the plane into the air, flying off towards that tropical island we're all waiting for. With a fully functional plane that had absolutely no need for a new paintjob.

Ahem. Good mission, Alias, perfect balance of enemy encounters (i.e. not every ten frigging meters)

30m Frogs

Two attempts at this one. The first ended with massive friendly fire. That's the problem with underwater missions at night: Since there are no colors anymore in NV, and the divers look the same with just a bit of different paint, it's a pain to identify them.

Well, second attempt went better, enemy divers dispatched, then we happily stepped onto the beach just to be brutally murdered by roughly 50 guns pointed at us. I took command after Variable was shot, and was promptly shot as well. Somehow, the remaining four survivers managed to kill the two targets.

Mission accomplished, although a proper extraction was missing. Sure, the targets are down, but it's somewhat anticlimactic to end a mission in the middle of a firefight.

Still good mission.

Winter's Pack

First off, I love the atmosphere. Absolutely brilliant.

Started out quite well, if "well" means screwing up at the first encounter and letting the single enemy guy kill one of our own before being dispatched, thus reducing our team site, and getting the whole island alerted to our presence.

What followed was basically running the gauntlet. Constant attacks from all side, the enemy was trailing us. A shilka crashed through the trees, only to meet an untimely, but well deserved end on Alpha's rocket (I think Evans was shooting ?).

Due to technical and other problems, we were heavily delayed throughout the mission. One of the bombs didn't go off.

While Alpha was holding position, some armored vehicle (I think it was a BTR) was sneaking up on us, and turned the snow around us into a mess of red blood and yellow piss (meaning, we were all killed).

Visibility was bad (which I love, hehe). Just to illustrate, this is Valhalian taking a piss 20 m ahead of me next to a tree (well, not really a piss):

[Image: OpSzQ8Vm.png]

I love this mission, and I'm looking forward to retrying this mission. Unfortunately, it was, due to aforementioned technical and other difficulties, a lesson in frustration for all involved.