Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

(01-29-2016, 09:12 AM)Phantom link Wrote:D: I missed a well made stealth mission pulled off and there's no recording?

(01-29-2016, 10:46 AM)McGregor link Wrote:Don't worry Phantom we all got slaughtered in the end 

Slaughtered in non-stealthy ways at the end.

Was very curious about this stupid rock that was so steep you couldn't walk forwards on it but you can walk sideways/backwards that I went on and the the BMP (I accidently said Grad when I was spooked by it in video) came. Looking back I can see Alwarren shouting at me but in the heat of the moment when its gun was swiveling torwards me and I was focused on the side bar scrolling, I honestly couldn't hear a word of it. Managed to take it out as a sacrifice (I had no time to move from the rock with due to the gunner instantly seeing me (Wasn't that hard tbh)).

There was also a boat behind us in the water that destroyed what was left of the squad.

(01-29-2016, 02:46 PM)Den link Wrote:Slaughtered in non-stealthy ways at the end.

There wasn't much point in stealth anymore once you are discovered. I fully expected this position to be the BM-21's, otherwise I would have left the whole thing alone. In the snowstorm, I only saw trucks, and since that is what BM-21's essentially are, I was certain we had found them (the position was just about right).

Quote:Was very curious about this stupid rock that was so steep you couldn't walk forwards on it but you can walk sideways/backwards that I went on and the the BMP (I accidently said Grad when I was spooked by it in video) came. Looking back I can see Alwarren shouting at me but in the heat of the moment when its gun was swiveling torwards me and I was focused on the side bar scrolling, I honestly couldn't hear a word of it. Managed to take it out as a sacrifice (I had no time to move from the rock with due to the gunner instantly seeing me (Wasn't that hard tbh)).

I wanted everyone to be in cover behind the rockface and then peek out and get the BMD from behind, but when I peeked out it was already dead. Too bad, it would have worked that way.

I have to ask, though, what were you doing on that rock anyway? It was very obvious that you couldn't get on top of it, so I don't really see why you tried it?

Quote:There was also a boat behind us in the water that destroyed what was left of the squad.

That was my fault. It hadn't spotted us, I was aiming at it with an RPG-7 ... and shot too high, missing by a few inches.

Of course I didn't know how the situation north of us would look like, but I was pretty sure that the area behind us was swarming with Russians, so my plan was to move north from there to lose them in the woods. Too bad it didn't work out, but this way we get to play it again.
Winter's pack

View from above:

War diary.

This isn't going well. Our last major counterattack near industrial site was a limited success, but that was last good news. Then the weather, and snow storm. It is a blessing, and a curse. Americans cannot send their helicopters, and Russian soldier fights best at the winter. But the weather bites us as well. Cold, short on supplies, and men are tired. I couldn't get some of them to wake up to watch duty. I let them sleep. No one attemps anything in this weather. Can't see a damn thing out there. Americans have their fancy night vision. What do we have? Flares, and their best-before date was during Stalingrad.

Junior sergeant Bulgakov reports in. He reports of distant sounds of engine out in the sea. He is not sure though. We are not expecting anyone. Americans? In this weather? Hardly. 
We have Albatros-class (Grisha-V) corvette somewhere, and naval minefield. They should detect the intruders. I should recall them, and let them sleep, but I've got a bad feeling of this. I give them order to check SE shore.

(Flares you spotted at your rear before and shortly after x-ing the narrow ford)

I fall asleep for ..20 minutes. A call in the radio. Sentry near battery FDC reported of movement in forest. Idiot! Why not to send someone to check it out instead of bothering me!  Patrol on western island reports sweep complete. Nothing found.

(Patrol you evaded at southern shore. They passed you 25 m away. You held fire)

Gunshot! Accidental discharge, or something else? I cannot raise anyone at FDC. Later a lone survivor reported that battery commander died with a empty pistol in his hand and command truck attempted to escape. Driver was able to return fire, but it did very little. Battery XO's Uaz returned ASAP, and was gunned down. Americans. Special Forces. GRU reports that elements of 2nd Recon Battalion out of Camp Lejeune are among Marine reinforcements.

(I don't remember exact course of events, but this is first fight at command center where you found the truck and where Variable nuked the Uaz)

Battery XO wants to relocate launchers. Just our luck. 10 minutes ago 1st Company called in fire support against enemy counterattack. Call is made. Launchers will not relocate. They will continue firing. My men will deal with the Marines. Had they wanted to hit them from air, they would have struck by now. My ZSU-23 is undergoing maintenance further away but I order it to hunt down the Marines. It shreds them to pieces.

Gunfights breaks loose. No one is able to report location. Unlike Americans, we can't afford a radio to every grunt out there. VDV Gaz Tigr is searching for the enemies but can't see shit out there.  We lose two launchers. Explosions. But now we have some location where to search. Motor Rifle company is responding to my alarm. It takes 15-20 minutes for reinforcements to arrive. It is undergoing RnR and will send BMDs and infantry.

It looks like two enemy teams.Our last Grad is out of ammunition, and holds fire. Americans cannot spot it. Their team misses it by 30 meters. Or they mistake it to a truck. Driver is hiding under vehicle. He manages to grab vehicle radio, and reports Americans are heading for northern shore, near our supply point.  Their first mistake.

I radio reinforcements. Helicopter team cannot land in this weather, but comrades in Navy arent that much of chickens. Patrol boat departs to assist, but they report they cannot see a thing, and cannot identify who is who. Later the idiots crashes boat on a rock. That's Navy.

Americans have put up a huge firefight near our supply point. I dispatch all available forces. Some teams have lost leaders and are scattered. First BMD makes to the scene, but it cannot see a thing. It moves too close and is destroyed. They put up fierce resistance but have backs against the sea. Now it is just a matter of time. Their god was not merciful this time.

Sergeant on ground calls in mortar fire. Denied. I don't want to destroy last of my supplies. My men perform frontal assault, and come to CQB distance. Enemies just appeared from the fog. Patrol boat reports unable to move, but bow HMG is still operational. I command it to fire at expense of collateral damage. Soon firefight dies out. We recover bodies of 10 enemies. Sleeve patch indicates CiA. Last time they defeated my counterattack while defending supply crates, but now their watch has ended.

Seriously, I cannot say when exactly it 'went south'. You didn't do anything that was precisely 'wrong'. On contrary, both teams did great job! You avoided contact, managed to move close, and spotted launchers with audiovisual cues. Perfect.

It is matter of time before you are detected, and spirit of scenario is to avoid it as long as possible, and then finish the job with quick brute force and bug out. More you spend in prolonged firefight, more the odds are against you.

You missed last Grad by narrow margin. It had stopped firing. I put up a flare, but either you missed it, or mistook it for a truck. Grads have random locations. Had it been in different spot, outcome might be different. Going north, then east by shore was certainly a good guess. Alarm had been sounded earlier, and you got reinforcements heading your way. More you put up fight in one spot, more accurate info enemy was to have, and in end you got your backs to sea and it was matter of time. There wouldn't have been any non-cheesy way to get you out of that one.

Mission worked pretty well, but AI was totally blind which led to lots of unintentional encounters. Patrolboat was crewed by landlubbers and bonehead helicopter refused to land a full squad on your asses. At least in one case enemy fireteam almost bumped to you. It isn't necessarily bad in this weather but I wish they could see just a little better. I put lot of manual flares, but still. So if anyone still complains about AI seeing too well, get your payback on this mission : )

Seriously, awesome job, especially leaders.

At this point, things were just about to start and all looked well... : )

Great read, as usual, Stag Smile

(01-29-2016, 05:40 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:Seriously, I cannot say when exactly it 'went south'. You didn't do anything that was precisely 'wrong'. On contrary, both teams did great job! You avoided contact, managed to move close, and spotted launchers with audiovisual cues. Perfect.

I think it was pretty much a run of bad luck. Bravo team got hit pretty hard by the GAZ, and then just south of the vehicle park we took too long and got this one group of Russians directly inbetween us. I think I shot Manuel just because he was surrounded by Russians and it was next to impossible in the snow storm to tell him apart from them. At that point IIRC Alpha team was either at full strength or lost one man, and Bravo was down to two because I had sent them ahead to the edge of the forest were they got hit by the large group of infantry and the Shilka.

It's too bad there is no AAR function in Arma 3, like there is in VBS.Would make it possible to watch the mission again and see what went wrong.
Definetely. It was bad luck. or in another words.. just war (Hoot voiceover). Decisions made were sensible and idea to plant bomb to first camo net as 'insurance' was very creative thinking.  There are some random elements in mission, and I created few more manually, i. enext time it could go wrong in some other way. I.e I had it setup that if your boats are found (small random chance for patrol to pass close enough) it creates 'silent alarm' and recon team will follow your tracks but you avoided this by narrow margin. You spotted the search flares at your backs but got away.

30m frogs

I still think there is great snack mission under the hood, but we ran to another T-1000 liquid metal prototypes.  Underwater combat is a real mess and I didn't dare to open fire until I saw someone aiming at me. 

The Bonnie Akala situation

For some reason I had psychedelic Pulp Fiction flashback. Can't explain. We could have used Winston Wolf to solve our AT problem. On serious note, I liked the mission/setup a lot. Simplest objective possible, get across bridge, but difficult to complete. Sign of a good mission. 

Overall plan was very good. My team saw action at 'pointy rock' ridge and Unnamed put out lot of .50 cal fire.  Alpha moved to shacks with spotted infantry fireteam 500m away. I accidentally transmitted directions meant for Alpha on Short range instead of LR. Alpha found some trouble at the building shacks, and soon it was Manuel reporting wounded and being sole survivor.

It was more observation duty for us as we weren't that effective with our rifles at that range, except Unnamed but we managed to take out few infantry targets and eliminate technical

We had lost one full team, one vehicle incapacitated, effectively that means almost 50% of our firepower. It was still basically the mission start area so continuation was so-so. I ordered tank team to slowly move out, engage what they see. Tank was able to eliminate targets at distance, but my order to advance toward Y-crossroads was bad. RPG round incapacitated tank and it would have been futile to continue mission. Btw, neither heavy vic was destroyed and crew survived in both cases. Definetely want to try this with engineer.

Lost Squad

What can be said that wasn't said before ? Flawless execution minus one Chopper being shot down by RPG fire from the ground.

Tanks

The mission was little more exiting than it's name., although it could have gone south pretty quickly. The amor did a good job destroying the enemy tanks, otherwise, it would have been a different situation. As it was, and with half the base shot to bits by the tanks, and me being in the APC, there wasn't much to do, at least not for me.

CSI Blufor

Alpha came up over a ridge, and there was two enemy dudes sitting there, and I was shot faster than I could say "Die you CSAT bastard"... Half of Alpha shared the same fate... the rest was an eays mob-up... for the enemy.

Warport

For some reason, the mission started lagging like hell immediately after BohemiaBeck disconnected due to internet problems. I think those two things are related, wasn't the first time.

Anyway, going here was tough. We came to the beach and immediately came under fire, and before we knew it, delta was down to two men. We joined forces with Alpha, and made a stand, but at one point I disconnected because of the lag.

Volga Boatmen

The mission setup is perfect, Stag. I love night missions where you don't need NVGs. The plan was good, Bravo was able to reach the insertion point with only minimal contact. After winning the beach, we set up on the only road that joined the main highway out of the town. Unfortunately, the sniper team was holding back in reporting the escaping truck, and when it was finally reported, it was likely already out of town. I still don't know where it slipped through, we had all angles covered, so I can't say what went wrong there.

I would also point out that people, especially team leaders, should really keep the comm channels open. If you see something that is worth reporting (and mission critical assets like that truck are worth reporting), don't be afraid to say "Break! Break! Enemy truck is leaving the area to the west", even though someone else is talking on the radio.

Missing in Action

I flew with Variable in the attack chopper, doing the navigation and looking out for enemies and smoke columns. Then I was hit by a stray bullet from the ground, and sat in the copilot chair for ten minutes, until I bled out and died somewhere in the Takistan sand after our chopper crashed.

Prodigal Son

We started out towards the southernmost compound when we saw a parked APC with it's crew dismounted next to it. We decided to attack it from two sides, so Bravo was moving in position south of it, and alpha moved around to the north. Unfortunately, someone (Bravo ?) got detected, and some crew succeeded in getting into the APC, using it to paint the walls with our spinal fluids.

The mistake was mine, actually. Check the screensho (click to enlarge)t:
[Image: mRJOpjLl.jpg]

The crew was right of the APC, which is parked in the wheat field near the lighted area. Range was about 200 m, and I had a heavy mk48. A bit of suppressible fire would have done wonders here, it would have either suppressed, or downright killed the crew, and they wouldn't have been able to get in.

I didn't say anything, though, because I wasn't sure, because of the tree, and the lamp post (both of which I could have avoided by moving a bit to the side, as I later considered).

So, sorry, I messed it up.

One more thing: as it turned out, four of our five men team were bleeding. The medic was the only one still up, but claimed he couldn't move. When I said we'd all be dead if he doesn't move, he just ran straight at the downed people and was immediately shot.

We were in a compound with several buildings. When being asked to go somewhere, and you know that the straight path is controlled by the enemy and basically a kill zone, don't run into it. Try to go around the buildings, but for gods sake, don't just run in and let yourself get shot.
Volga Boatmen

Sniper team (me and Unnamed) reported the truck as soon as it was spotted. 

I didn't actually see it, but Unnamed said he caught a glimpse of it heading west within the town.  I was trying to speak with Unnamed and long distance radio to keep you posted, but we had very little information on the trucks whereabouts once we lost site.

I also, should have used the word "Stand by" so you knew I was trying to find out where exactly it was spotted etc...

Thinking back... what I should have done... as I didn't realize it was "The" truck... I would have stayed put and tried to work out where it was spotted and try to gain site again.

Although we did take out quite  a few mounted gunners and enemy units along the way.
(02-05-2016, 11:49 AM)Varanon link Wrote:The mistake was mine, actually.

No, not at all. I was very well aware of this, because I was lying right next to you. I knew the crewmen were a problem (ugh, yeah, big surprise) but I wanted one team close to the compound. I sent Bravo to where they were because the overview from there was better (there was a tree covering up part of the field from our place) and I wanted Alpha team to be closer to the compound to hit anything that would be coming out of it when Bravo  opened up.

The issue here (note I say issue, not fault/mistake/blame) was that Bravo failed to take out the crewmen in time. I'd be interested to hear from someone in Bravo team why that didn't work.

This part wasn't anybody's fault. It was bad luck.

Quote:One more thing: as it turned out, four of our five men team were bleeding. The medic was the only one still up, but claimed he couldn't move. When I said we'd all be dead if he doesn't move, he just ran straight at the downed people and was immediately shot.

We were in a compound with several buildings. When being asked to go somewhere, and you know that the straight path is controlled by the enemy and basically a kill zone, don't run into it. Try to go around the buildings, but for gods sake, don't just run in and let yourself get shot.

Agreed, that part could have been handled better. If so many of your team are down, you must find a way to get to them. In this case, it would have been possible to try and go around the building. It's risky, granted, but just cowering behind a wall will result in certain death for your team mates.

Also, how come the SMAW shot exploded in the AT Gunner's face? Was there some obstacle in the way?
Quote:Also, how come the SMAW shot exploded in the AT Gunner's face? Was there some obstacle in the way?

Yes that was me with the SMAW I was on the roof waiting to get eyes on the APC, we started to taking fire I could see infantry 50 mtrs ahead but with the SMAW in hand I held back, next thing the APC move towards our position I moved out slightly conscious of being under fire, and im guessing did not have enough clearance through the door well, it was a massive f@~k up on my behalf, Sorry chaps :-[ was some great missions last night, will try to get a debriefing over at some point.
(02-05-2016, 12:18 PM)treendy link Wrote:Volga Boatmen

Sniper team (me and Unnamed) reported the truck as soon as it was spotted. 

Ah, I misunderstood then. I was under the impression that the message was delayed. My apologies
(02-05-2016, 01:46 PM)Brad link Wrote:and im guessing did not have enough clearance through the door well,

Ah alright, you tried shooting through the door. I just wondered what the rocket had hit, because I thought you were on the roof.
No problem, I could have handled the comms a bit better to be fair... first time as team leader... got in a bit of a muddle what with us being shot at too.
Lost Squad

Bread-n-butter. We have gotten much better at LS, or then we just have had easy time and good luck with last few runs. LS/CSI is always a nice opener. Great job leaders.

Tanks

Ok, even I can appreciate Spartan briefing but I didn't understand wtf was the connection of artillery and bridges 'blowing up'. Fortunately I was just a stupid gunner in Unnameds tank so I didn't have to think of anything above my pay grade.

This was a nice snack and I have to say I liked it. With couple of caveats. Good thing was that there was not entire Guards Division as OPFOR with every 2nd foot solider of wielding AT. However we had almost entire platoon of T-100s, IFV and a squad of infantry. Our vehicles alone packed hell of a punch. That unfortunately means mission maker has to beef up OPFOR with vehicles /AT to provide challenge. That in turn leads easily to other issues as we saw in last weeks coop. In this case author had chosen to put us against moderate opposition which isn't necessarily bad. Catch is, how to ensure everyone gets their slice of action cake? Tanks, IFV and grunts?  As mission maker I know that is difficult to implement at best.

From my point of view mission moment/turn point was when we came to contact with hostile tank platoon. Alwarrens tank was to our left somewhere, and Unnamed reported contacts at skyline. Fortunately they were in marching formation and we were able to score first hits. Usually 1 APFSDS was enough to incapacitate enemy tank.  However one tank survived and they were so close on thermals I wasn't able to determine differences between alive/dead targets. Our tank was hit, damaged but Unnamed was able to give me accurate bearing which enabled me to take it out.

After that it was a turkey shoot as objective was stationary camp with defenders in towers shining in thermals.

It was great to be in tank with Unnamed and ALIAS. Especially U as tank commander did absolutely top notch job. I just had to press the trigger.

Hindsight: Leaving 1 or 2 towers for infantry might have been justified. Not tactically but due fun factor. I sometimes get too trigger happy when virtual adrenaline kicks in.

Warport

My 3rd attempt and I knew this was a toughie. Navigating leg was longest for Delta and we had to adjust LZ midroute lest we had landed in sights of guard tower. We started taking fire at open beach with very little cover. I couldn't access magazines from my LR backpack and we were in situation where we had to take out enemies so we can grab vests, weapons so we can continue the mission. Alwarren and Rund were lost but we managed to clean the northern shore and finally got hardware. I was down to 2 rounds until I got OPFOR weapon. At this point I had people warping in my screen and single digit frames but it passed. It didn't exactly help.

We managed to clear guard tower with Varanon, then linked with Alpha. Merging team was smart thing to do. After that it was pretty intense jog by the beach. Mission moment was coming under 40mm fire from the tower in open and surviving. Indestructable trucks and ammo crates defied us but with a bit of divine intervention we (at least morally) completed the mission.

Seriously, outstanding leading Mjolnir in a tough mission.

Volga Boatmen

This was much better go with good plan. Boats were still pain, but this time Bravo hit target faster and cleared the beach of rabble with firepower and started sweep.

From my point of view Alpha was still in their transit as Bravo moved in and opened fire. This triggered alarm but Alpha had still some time before they could be effective. Mission beef is more a SWAT team raid than military op. You really have to hit targets fast. Like..setup both strike team boats (if using 2)
just behind the closest river bend and move in exactly at same time.

Without spoiling anything big, here's the mechanic. There are two trucks escaping. If both makes it, mission fails. Even stopping one will do. It was narrow margin this time and I likely give a little bit more leeway to truck escape timer. I also put sniper team to the forest behind hill so  they have shorter transit and can provide intel to strike teams faster. I also add another PT boat (unarmed) so player has two boats of even speed at their disposal. Thanks for feedback after the mission guys.

Missing in action

Great job guys. Your mission catch this time was that in addition to usual h/k teams two divine mortar teams were arriving by trucks to make your life miserable. First truck was destroyed by light gunship, second was damaged, but men survived and managed to set up the mortar. However, apparently by luck, you found it and eliminated it/me it before I was able to 'correct fire for effect'.  Last pickup was tough. BTR was putting fire on you, but made it out. In end I ejected the crew to give you guys chance to escape. Great flying.

I check the mission and see what is it with insane revive timers.

Prodigal son

I was in Bravo. I am pretty sure it wasn't us who crashed the party in the start. We were in decent cover, and BMP crew was in our sights all time. Phantom (Bravo actual) reported they woke up, we put truckload of fire to them, but with aimpoints only we weren't that effective from 200-300m. Gunner managed to get in and pinned us down. Alpha moved to help, and found trouble. We moved in to help in our turn but got gangbanged on the field by Hind.
(02-05-2016, 03:47 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:I was in Bravo. I am pretty sure it wasn't us who crashed the party in the start. We were in decent cover, and BMP crew was in our sights all time. Phantom (Bravo actual) reported they woke up, we put truckload of fire to them, but with aimpoints only we weren't that effective from 200-300m. Gunner managed to get in and pinned us down. Alpha moved to help, and found trouble. We moved in to help in our turn but got gangbanged on the field by Hind.

I didn't think it was Bravo that got detected, it surely was us.

About being effective - not that it would have helped in this case since the damage was done when Alpha was detected - I had told Phantom that his team's job would be to take out the crewmen, and I stressed how important that was, so to avoid this, next time when you are ineffective from a position let the squad leader know and/or move into a more effective position. I mean, the task in this case was pretty clear (Kill the crew of the APC) so I would naturally assume that the team's leader would let me know if they are ineffective, or move into a better position himself since it was the task that was important, not the position.

No idea what I should do about the Hind. I don't really want to take it out, I might make one of the guys an AA solider.
(02-05-2016, 03:47 PM)Stagwine link Wrote:Mission moment was coming under 40mm fire from the tower in open and surviving.

I thought that might happen so I set up my LMG in a position where I could've seen all mgs and have bipod deployed and as soon as they opened up, I sprayed them down. We got pretty close before they spotted us.

My mission highlight was when Varanon disconnected, I think he had just vest by that point not rebreather, his AI decided to fuck off, swam out into the ocean and drowned.