Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

(04-26-2015, 09:13 AM)Variable link Wrote:Isn't playing a tank mission is training enough, just more fun?

Indeed.

In general, I don't see any point in training sessions. I know some clans do those, but what is the point of that?  In real life, you have training because you don't want to die on your first deployment,  but in a gane, the worst that can happen is you have to wait for the next round.

The only only point I would see in training sessions is to teach things that are not obvious, like infantry tactics (peeling, bounding overwatch) but the best way to learn those is via the net (someone could post abfew links for this on the forum), there is no need to actually train those, this can always be done in a normal mission.

Again, real life training is because there is no next round when you get shot.
(04-26-2015, 09:13 AM)Variable link Wrote:Do you mean missions like Lost Squad? The best thing I could think of is a server side addon, but in any case there should be a way to disable this feature, at the mission side.

Any mission that relies on groups, FHQ Task tracker can add tasks to only certain people based on their group, triggers can rely on a group existing etc., for example: http://ciahome.net/forum/mission-making/.../#msg30765

I never had issues leading people from other groups as long as TFAR radios were configured, in large groups I think a team color and channel split is enough.

Even if mission makers at CiA account for this addonside group management in their missions, others on Workshop probably won't.

Unless the mission introduces a group management system itself, I'm against this from a player and mission maker's perspective.

I'm with Outlawz on this one.

We checked the system yesterday, and it doesn't appear to be generally usable atyway.

There is a very big problem with dynamically allocate groups: triggers that require all group members to be in.

So yeah, I'd not make this a general feature. Besides, it only works for players, anyway, so you can't use it to transfer AI. It's a typical example of the BI paradigm shift of doing things exactly how they need them instead of universally applicable
I see. Case closed then.
(04-26-2015, 09:13 AM)Variable link Wrote:Isn't playing a tank mission is training enough, just more fun?

Indeed it is. We need more tank missions. And people should watch that video by Dslyslyslysslexi
(04-26-2015, 11:06 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:Indeed it is. We need more tank missions. And people should watch that video by Dslyslyslysslexi
Yeah, that's all I meant by 'practice', not that we should do tank training sessions. Of course the downside is we're more likely to get blown up whilst trying to learn which might be a bit frustrating especially if it happens early on and we then have to wait 30-60mins for everyone else to complete the mission/die. So let's try and communicate roles and instructions (who's going to navigate, whether to report all contacts or only certain ones, etc) at the start, so we're not trying to sort things like that out when we're in the thick of it or there's a lot of radio traffic.
Yep, everything in Desylexcxcxcy's guide is pretty straight forward and rather obvious and can be communicated in 1 minutes by the tank commander to his crew when the mission start.
Administrative notice - to avoid the annoying formatting problems we have on the forums, click the
"Toggle View" button (rightmost)  before you start writing.

Breakthrough
I wish it was more interesting for the infantry team... Enemies inside buildings would have been great as the Kajman, Armor, and Sniper team can't do much against. In retrospect, I should have recommended to let our infantry engage the enemy infantry and only use the Kajman gun as support if the need arise :-\ trigger happiness is bad for joint ops. Great flying Etzu, we really nailed them!

Clean Sweep Infinity
I have one, but very important conclusion from this mission - we don't know how to assault an enemy position. By assault I mean the action of the element that moves fast towards the enemy, usually in a flank maneuver,  in order to kill from close range. This is how I was taught to do it and I think it applies in Arma as well:
When assaulting, never stop advancing until you reach kill range or to cover by the enemy position.
If someone is hit and goes down leave him behind and keep advancing. Get back to him after the enemy position is destroyed or let the rear element take care of him.
If the leader is hit, keep on moving while assuming command and urging others to complete the assault.
If a grenade is thrown - keep advancing. well, you get the picture: don't stop at anything.

A bad example is what happened last night when Alpah's team red assaulted under team's blue covering fire. I got head shotted after the first two meters in the open. The rest of the assaulting element dropped to the ground and returned fire and also got hit, and the worst of all - the maneuver was not completed and the enemy remained intact for too long.

Foehammer
Another good attempt at this cool mission. Another reminder for the Apache pilot - don't fly above the enemy, it puts you in their RPG fire range, and limits your survivability to zero. Hover 500 meters away from the enemy, or better yet circle in wide, 500 meters radius away from the enemy (not complete circles necessarily) and use the gun to take them out.

Bloodlines
My element (Alpha's team blue) had good action. Unfortunately we didn't manage to lase even a single target but we put our Javelins to good use and took about 5 enemy vehicles. Good job Etzu on supplying us with Jav ammo.
The mission has an awesome potential, pure coop! I'll put some suggestions on the mission thread.

Didymos Pass
Too bad we lost all the armor on this, but it unfolded nicely once we moved on foot on the hill overlooking the enemy force after the pass. The AI was great in this mission, they were highly mobile and surprised us from multiple directions. We managed to complete the mission by using all our (highly unreliable) fire missions and a captured Strider GMG. Good job everyone, I think all of us performed exemplary! Comes to think of it, we could have repair and capture the enemy T-72(?) we disabled by RPG fire and use it as well.
(04-27-2015, 10:58 AM)Variable link Wrote:A bad example is what happened last night when Alpah's team red assaulted under team's blue covering fire. I got head shotted after the first two meters in the open. The rest of the assaulting element dropped to the ground and returned fire and also got hit, and the worst of all - the maneuver was not completed and the enemy remained intact for too long.

The rest of the team was not actually hit and retreated to the previous position. I actually think that was a sound decision, given that a) we needed to secure the long range radio and b) without knowledge where the enemy was, advancing further could have brought us smack into the middle of the enemy position.

So dropping, returning fire, retrieving the radio and then retreating was IMHO a good idea. Especially since we knew that we had other tactical options on the other side of the street.
Clean Sweep Infinity

Somehow I thought we were facing FIA, which gave me more confidence to run into fire, it wasn't until I got within 50m of one enemy soldier that I realized they were CSAT.  Tongue

I split us into two teams, we only lost Stick after the building we were in started getting hammered by grenades.

Foehammer

I still stutter/rubber band lag on this mission, not sure why.

Bloodlines

Had a Javelin with a loaded rocket from start, then I dropped it into the programming abyss that were those crates and couldn't get anything out of them again while the enemy armor drove past me.

Didymos Pass

I knew this would be a long one and thought we'd play it first, then 17 people showed up.  ;D

Sorry about the sneaky RPG-26 guy, that was a bit cruel and for mixing vanilla vehicles with RHS weapons, the different damage/armor system meant that those RHS RPGs barely did any damage to AAF tanks. Kudos for pulling it off.
(04-27-2015, 11:31 AM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:Didymos Pass
Sorry about the sneaky RPG-26 guy, that was a bit cruel
hehe nah, well played. That bastard not only disabled our BMD, he also shot me in the face when I disembarked.
(04-27-2015, 10:58 AM)Variable link Wrote:I wish it was more interesting for the infantry team...

It was okay for me as the command team, although the Russian made it difficult to say what was going on. I felt bad for the sniper team that essetnailly was just moving around doing nothing.

Quote:A bad example is what happened last night when Alpah's team red assaulted under team's blue covering fire. I got head shotted after the first two meters in the open. The rest of the assaulting element dropped to the ground and returned fire and also got hit, and the worst of all - the maneuver was not completed and the enemy remained intact for too long.

Well, several reasons why I think that it wouldn't have been a good idea to continue.
First of all, we had no clear idea about how many enemies we were facing. I just saw you go down, and it sounded like the shooter was pretty close. I had no idea of the exact enemy position - for all I knew, it could have been the house we were trying to reach. Since the terrain was slightly elevated in front of us, going prone kept us from getting hit as well, and the suppressive fire from Blue made it possible for us to retreat. I very much preferred that over trying to charge ahead into uncertainty. Since we already new Alpha was in the vicinity, I thought it would be better to try and have them flank the position if possible.

Secondly, we needed the LR. My alternate wasn't set up (dratted addon didn't work) so there was no way of contacting Alpha, and I greatly dislike using global chat.

Quote:Another good attempt at this cool mission. Another reminder for the Apache pilot - don't fly above the enemy, it puts you in their RPG fire range, and limits your survivability to zero. Hover 500 meters away from the enemy, or better yet circle in wide, 500 meters radius away from the enemy (not complete circles necessarily) and use the gun to take them out.

Yeah. I had thought the northern part of the castle was clear, I was under the impression that the enemy was only coming from the south. I was quite surprised to hear that they have been attacked from the north, I should have moved away immediately.

I should fly CAS more often I guess.

Quote:My element (Alpha's team blue) had good action. Unfortunately we didn't manage to lase even a single target but we put our Javelins to good use and took about 5 enemy vehicles. Good job Etzu on supplying us with Jav ammo.

Unfortunately, we never had much to do as the second half of Bravo. We saw one tank column which we engaged with our Javelins, but the missiles only did minor damage and we didn't have any working choppers anymore at thsi point. During the mission, I moved our position forward a bit since the position we had initially  was completely shielded by the mountain range in front of us. We could see more from the position of the Bulldog LD, so I proposed we moved there.

It looks like I should divert some of the Armor to the southern flank, or Bravo 2 will have a rather boring time.

Quote:The mission has an awesome potential, pure coop! I'll put some suggestions on the mission thread.

I am more and more getting the impression the mission looked better on paper than it does now. The coop aspect is certainly there, I have not even tried to make it single player compatible since I do not see how anyone could pull that off. I'll try the suggestions from the mission's thread, see if that works. If not I am inclined to just let it go, but that might be my currently very disillusioned modder self speaking after the latest revelations from BIS.

Quote:Didymos Pass
Too bad we lost all the armor on this, but it unfolded nicely once we moved on foot on the hill overlooking the enemy force after the pass. The AI was great in this mission, they were highly mobile and surprised us from multiple directions. We managed to complete the mission by using all our (highly unreliable) fire missions and a captured Strider GMG. Good job everyone, I think all of us performed exemplary! Comes to think of it, we could have repair and capture the enemy T-72(?) we disabled by RPG fire and use it as well.

This time around teamwork in my tank worked out quite well, kudos to Varanon and Den for this. The T-80 shot us in the side (at least our hull shielded the second tank), and TBH I didn't expect it to blow up since we were only tracked and had some hull damage but the engine was still good. We exploded none the less.
co@17_rfaf_altian_vacation_peoples_militia

Well... quite laggy. it looked quite promising, but some things were just f**ked up like having a RHS AA launcher but vanilla AA ammo. And of course the 350 AI on the map (or was it in the city?). I was killed soon after we took cover in the first compound. I only once saw an enemy but it was too laggy for me to get the aim right and he disappeared again.

co17_breakthrough

a nice mission, although a little easy and Lego an me didn't see too much action.
We started about half a kilometer north of the first objective ( I guess Google translator didn't come handy only for me on this one). when we had view of the outskirts CAS showed up over us and started everything we were able to see so we asked Command for permission to move on to scouting the factory.
there we noticed that we had to get very close to the factory, which was no problem as there only were two APC in the compound (of which we could see one) and two men on the opposite side of the valley, all of which were quickly wiped out by the Tank and the CAS team.
Command gave us a ride to the other side of the valley where we got up onto a mountain south of the city we were to defend. while we were scouting the city and trying to decide were to set up Command killed an infantry squad on the top of the mountain. we then moved a bit around the city being able to watch a MBT being shot by CAS. since nothing else came up down the street we moved on to the southern side of the mountain from where we watched the Tank take out a mechanized squad and a tank before the mission ended.

personally I din't mind having to walk a while when playing sniper/spotter, but enemys at the objectives were very few and maybe we should have tried to get onto the mountains south of the road from the beginning to have a view of the objectives.

co@14_foehammer

It worked... almost... again xD

Deploying Alfa was a piece of cake, since the north east of the castle was clear in the beginning of the mission. since I took fire when I took off I went to a waiting position  1km east of the castle waiting for orders.Only after a while hovering there it came through that CAS was down on the ground. I gave their crash site a pass, but there was no way I could be able to land close to them as they crashed in the middle of the forrest so I returned to my waiting position. When Alfa called I was not too sure about the LZ they designated me, inside the the castle perimeter, so I gave it a pass decided it was okay and landed. As Alfa and Charlie had taken some hits and were engaged boarding took a while but went without incident and we took off again and made it back to the airfield without trouble where, after landing, for some reason the main rotor decided to break.

something was a bit weird about the chopper this time, I did not have  HUD this time (not too sure I had one the last time though), I did not have a radar (had it last time) and for some reason the blackhawk handled like a little bird which was really weird.

co@15_fhq_rhs_bloodlines

Deployment to our (Alfa 2) OP went smooth and we were soon supplied with an ammo crate. at that point one or two of us should probably have taken a stinger instead of a javelin, but we could not have known how close the  enemy gunship was going to pass us.
the first wave of tanks was easily destroyed, as was the second. At that point we started to run out of ammo and were engaged by at least one infantry squad and at least once shot at by an AAA-vehicle and I pretty soon took a bullet to the head.

co@13_otl7_rhs_didymos_pass

that was an intense one.

in the beginning there was not much to do for me even though I was lucky to get the front right maschinegun of the APC and was able to look out front and even shoot at one or two things.
everything was going smooth until we ran into an ambush and our vehicle was destroyed. luckily I got out and put some distance between the apc and myself before it blew up. I was then being shot at by the RPG gunner who had destroyed the APC but was able to kill him. luckily I was not too steady as I turned towards another gun sound and shot twice before I noticed that it was not a foe.
We then moved on foot to the next village and were engaged on our way. after a short engagement Variable ordered us to get to the other side of the road and then into the village were we encountered a tank which did not notice Us and we were able to take out with three RPG-7 in quick order. after the village we moved up the hills and were engaged close range by a Squad we were directly runing to. we were able to overwhelm them and take their ammo and weapons. when we moved up the hill we were engaged by the squad which had engaged us on the other side of the village again. we suppressed them and moved up on the hill  until we had a superior position and killed them off. while we were busy with that squad more enemys showed up and we spotted a survivor of our tank troops trying to find a weapon and engaging enemys. we suppressed the enemys around him to enable him join up with us. when he arrived at our position we disengaged and moved to the hilltop and had our first view on the enemy camp. variable called artillerystrikes on the camp and killed two enemy APC and a bunch of infantry when we were suddenly attacked from behind. we moved to engage them and flanked them, killing them without taking losses and even being able to rearm on their gear.
we then moved to another hill closer to the enemy camp  from were we had a better view when a tank showed up on the road below us. while we were still setting up on it its turret turned towards us and I shot my first rocket, missing it by 5meters because it still was moving and I have no experience with the rpg 7 ^^. then we tried to maneuver to positions to shoot the tank while being shot at by a maschinegun in the valley. went the tank stopped in our west Outlawz gave it a shot, missing by one or two meters and I shot a rocket too missing by 50 meters at least and getting shot in the head in return.
(04-27-2015, 01:28 PM)UnNamedGER link Wrote:we spotted a survivor of our tank troops trying to find a weapon and engaging enemys. we suppressed the enemys around him to enable him join up with us.
Right! Forgot to write about that. That was one hell of an epic moment. I was sure all of McGregor's tank team was burned inside its tank, and I even acknowledged my team that there are no friendlies around that area, and when Outlawz insisted, I used the binocs and saw a Russian MG gunner suppressing an infantry squad that was moving up on him. That was amazing to watch. It was Etzu returning to the tank to retrieve McGregor's LR radio! As Unnamed said, we provide suppressive fire and allowed him to regroup with us. Eventually, he was one of the remaining four survivors of that bloody mission.

As promised during the mission - For exemplary performance in the field of battle, for retrieving his CO's radio and regrouping with friendly forces while facing overwhelming enemy opposition, I hereby grant Etzu the CiA bug out medal:
[Image: c0cu1ex.png]

Seriously, we need some cool, funny, CiA medals that we will grant each other on the Debriefing Thread.
Bug out service medal... LOL