Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03-30-2015, 07:02 PM)Variable link Wrote:Guys, until we get nkey to add this as an automatic feature, don't pass on setting your alternate radio channel to the LR frequency. understanding what's going on with the other teams is really a lot of fun, and it will help you to know when It's not a good time to try to speak with your leader since he's busy receiving a radio message.
I'll post a guide that explains how to do that for everybody who's not sure, it's very simple.

I wish I had done that last week on Archaeology, I would not have had to grenade people just based on them repeatedly shooting me .They were enemys in the end, but since the LR was not recoverable for our team( I had to abandon your position after you died while I was reviving you due to the amount of incoming fire and when I made my way back later on it had disappeared... and the position was still very visible to the enemy) I had no way to be sure.
In such a situation an alternate Chanel would have been a possibility to coordinate with the other team, even though on longer distances there might be the need to ( if the situation allows for it) use one or more teammembers as a repeater to pass messages farther on.
(03-30-2015, 10:04 PM)UnNamedGER link Wrote:They were enemys in the end, but since the LR was not recoverable for our team( I had to abandon your position after you died while I was reviving you due to the amount of incoming fire and when I made my way back later on it had disappeared... and the position was still very visible to the enemy). In such a situation an alternate Chanel would have been a possibility to coordinate with the other team, even though on longer distances there might be the need to ( if the situation allows for it) use one or more teammembers as a repeater station to pass messages farther on.

Yeah, it's very useful in such situations. I always try and retrieve the LR if possible, as it's more useful than the SR and it feels a bit lazy to just use the alternate channel on the SR but there's times when it's not safe to do so, or you're not close to where the leader died and being able to raise the other teams on the alternate has been a godsend, on more than one occassion.

Wood Cutters

I started with an AI but as he was my superior he he wouldn't take any orders from me, so he got to stay at the airport and drink tea, whilst I joined Variable's team. I haven't controlled a UAV for a while and it was great fun using it for recon and trying to assist by marking the enemy locations. I did struggle initially with matching the buildings I was looking at to locations on the map but it got easier after a while. It would have definitely been a good idea for me to use the alternate channel here, so that I could guide/warn the other teams, not just the one I was attached to.

I was surprised how long the UAV stayed up, as I recall on other missions the battery didn't last very long (which I found a bit annoying actually). Anyway, what ended me was some enemy sneaking up behind me in the field I was in near WP3, SW of the objective everyone was moving on. I was surprised there were any enemies that far behind us but I shouldn't have stayed in one position so long, or at least found better cover before launching the UAV, so I've only got myself to blame. I saw a helo valiantly landing to try and rescue me in my final moments, very atmospheric. I hope you at least plundered my body for supplies Wink

Lost Squad

Can't say a lot about this, it was just unlucky that there were so many AA in the area. Were they handheld or fixed weapons? Either way, maybe the squad should try and sweep the area and take them out next time before the helos come in (or at least the transport helo, as he's the most vulnerable), although that's not going to be easy in pitch darkness!

Versus: Operation Chirurgia Arcanus

If only we'd known there'd be enemy vehicles at the objective, we could have saved an AT or two for them. Oh well, we know now Smile What we could try is just fire one AT at the lead vehicle to try and get them to turn off into the fuel depot (as they did this time) so that they get hit by the airstrike and have the other AT guys positioned to fire at the rear of any that decide to keep going straight down the road. Hopefully if we're careful we'll have at least one AT left at the final objective.

I accidentally told Dagger to attack the final objective when I called in the airstrike (I think it was the first time I've had to use the radio menu, so it was all a bit new to me, yeah, terrible excuse I know), so they were pretty much wiped out by the time we got there. Next time, if we attack together I'm sure it will go much better. That machine gun was nasty though, we'll have to watch out for that. Shame the medic was bugged out for Phantom, we'll have to check that before we try it again.

Oil Leak

What's that I see? Three choppers in the air, a tank inside the compound. No problemo, we're on a suicide mission anyway Smile We've got an AA in the back of the APC, so perhaps we should assign someone to take that at the start and put them in one of the open vehicles, so that they can quickly stop and shoot the choppers if needed. Other than that, the flanking plan seems like a good one.
Wood Cutters
(03-31-2015, 04:31 AM)doveman link Wrote:It would have definitely been a good idea for me to use the alternate channel here, so that I could guide/warn the other teams, not just the one I was attached to.
Good point, I should have instructed you to do that. The fact that you are attached to a unit as a subordinate, doesn't mean you can't use the LR channel to relay information that is relevant to all teams. However, marking the map remains the primary tool to communicate such information. That is better to be done in other colour, and more importantly, keep the markers updated. That means that each unit superior or special role operator, be it the team leader, a gunship gunner, sniper lead or the UAV operator itself, should delete markers that are no longer relevant. I think that the overall responsibility for keeping the tactical map tidy is on the UAV operator, or whoever else who have the best oversight on the situation (could be the sniper as well in some situations). We need to discuss that.
(03-31-2015, 04:31 AM)doveman link Wrote:Anyway, what ended me was some enemy sneaking up behind me in the field I was in near WP3, SW of the objective everyone was moving on. I was surprised there were any enemies that far behind us but I shouldn't have stayed in one position so long, or at least found better cover before launching the UAV, so I've only got myself to blame. I saw a helo valiantly landing to try and rescue me in my final moments, very atmospheric. I hope you at least plundered my body for supplies Wink 
Well, I should have noticed that we left you far behind when we moved forward. It's easy to "forget yourself" in the UAV interface, remember that you can always let it hover and get back to moving with the team.

Lost Squad
(03-31-2015, 04:31 AM)doveman link Wrote:Can't say a lot about this, it was just unlucky that there were so many AA in the area. Were they handheld or fixed weapons? Either way, maybe the squad should try and sweep the area and take them out next time before the helos come in (or at least the transport helo, as he's the most vulnerable), although that's not going to be easy in pitch darkness!
At first, when we made very quick contact with the helicopters I thought this was going to be a very easy run... I like how this mission smashes your expectations every single time. I was not happy to see our rescue force shot down one after the other, but I'm glad that in Arma it's possible for that to happen Smile

(03-31-2015, 04:31 AM)doveman link Wrote:What we could try is just fire one AT at the lead vehicle to try and get them to turn off into the fuel depot (as they did this time) so that they get hit by the airstrike and have the other AT guys positioned to fire at the rear of any that decide to keep going straight down the road. Hopefully if we're careful we'll have at least one AT left at the final objective.
Not sure I understand. Why would we need to fire any AT at the convoy? Seems like the artillery fire mission can take care of them all, and leave us all three ATs to deal with the attacking BTR that arrives later.
(03-30-2015, 07:02 PM)Variable link Wrote:Wood Cutters
That was a good read unnamed, and for a good mission. Great job SPhoenix and gunship pilots for splendid communication and efficiency. I hope I didn't miss too much of your messages Phoenix, sometimes it was hard to fight and transmit at the same time. How was it for the guys on Bravo team?
We on Alpha saw a lot of action. It was cool to see the choppers engaging from above us...

On Bravo's side we only had a couple of engagements until we cleared the entire town. My team performed admirably - at the very beginning we had a fireteam of AI walk past us 10m away while we all lay down at a tree line... Until the very end I believe we only had one man down at some point.

We heard most of the firefight from your side - we could have helped a couple of times and it was fun clearing those buildings for you when you were pinned down. Although I think they were all already dead when we got there!
Oh, I thought you had seen some more combat... I guess your side of the town had less enemies. Next time, and that goes to all team leaders, don't fear of letting the mission leader know that your team is getting bored. It's more important to keep most players entertained than always doing the right thing tactically.
Absolutely not a problem Smile

By the way, we had one AI in our team as a machinegunner, and it was brutally aggressive. Very effective...
(03-31-2015, 10:14 AM)Variable link Wrote:That is better to be done in other colour, and more importantly, keep the markers updated. That means that each unit superior or special role operator, be it the team leader, a gunship gunner, sniper lead or the UAV operator itself, should delete markers that are no longer relevant. I think that the overall responsibility for keeping the tactical map tidy is on the UAV operator, or whoever else who have the best oversight on the situation (could be the sniper as well in some situations). We need to discuss that.

Yeah, I'll try and remember to use colour next time. I need to make a note of the keys to change colour, I don't think I've ever used them yet! I'm not sure the UAV operator can keep the map tidy though, as he can't delete markers made by other players can he?

Quote: Well, I should have noticed that we left you far behind when we moved forward. It's easy to "forget yourself" in the UAV interface, remember that you can always let it hover and get back to moving with the team.

That's the first thing I thought when I got shot, "Why the hell am I still standing here in the middle of this field? I should have let it hover whilst I moved closer to the rest of the squad and into better cover. Doh!"  ;D

Quote:Versus: Operation Chirurgia Arcanus
Not sure I understand. Why would we need to fire any AT at the convoy? Seems like the artillery fire mission can take care of them all, and leave us all three ATs to deal with the attacking BTR that arrives later.

It looked to me like the convoy only turned into the fuel depot because you fired AT at them. I thought they were on their way to the final objective and we needed to stop them getting there. Maybe I misunderstood the briefing though and they always stop at the depot, so if that's the case, yeah we can save all the AT for later. Guess we'll find out next time Smile
(03-31-2015, 10:49 AM)Variable link Wrote:Oh, I thought you had seen some more combat... I guess your side of the town had less enemies. Next time, and that goes to all team leaders, don't fear of letting the mission leader know that your team is getting bored. It's more important to keep most players entertained than always doing the right thing tactically.

In that situation, the UAV operator can help as well if he's got LR comms with all squads, by advising them where they can find enemies. The map should be marked as well ideally but sometimes it's more efficient to just tell them "there's a bunch of infantry in those buildings to your north" and then worry about marking the map, rather than have them standing around whilst you work out exactly where that place is on the map. Obviously the group leader has overall command and it's his call where he wants the squads to go but it's easier for whoever's got the best overwatch (UAV, Sniper, Helo) to actually direct them to where they need to go.

It's not easy to tell which squad is which from the air though, I thought I saw Bravo on the right (East side of the town, where most of the enemy were), Alpha to their left and the Sniper team to the left of Alpha, nearer the treeline where those enemies were lurking but it's easy to lose track when the squads move around whilst you're scanning another area. Maybe we can wear different colour hats Wink  I guess we could always use coloured smoke grenades if we have them, to clarify who's where for the overwatcher, if the picture gets confused.
(03-31-2015, 11:08 AM)doveman link Wrote:I'm not sure the UAV operator can keep the map tidy though, as he can't delete markers made by other players can he?
Everybody can delete everybody's markers.

(03-31-2015, 11:08 AM)doveman link Wrote:It looked to me like the convoy only turned into the fuel depot because you fired AT at them. I thought they were on their way to the final objective and we needed to stop them getting there.
I'm pretty sure we fired our RPGs only after they entered the fuel station.
I think the overview over the whole situation is why sithis intended the mission to be led by a command team consisting of the overall leader and the UAV operator.
Wood Cutters
For the longest time in that mission, I was the helo gunner, first in Val's gunship, then in Unnamed. My biggest problem during the mission was keeping overview and identifying targets. TBH, I marveled that I didn't friendly-fire anyone. Identifying units was hellishly difficult since the colors were approximately the same and at the distance we were. everything was vanishing into the fog.

On top of that the map was getting way too cluttered for me to recognize anything. It gave me an idea for MapDraw: I will add a key to quick-report targets, and start to fade out the markers to half-transparent after a certain amount of time, maybe even deleting them after a while. That will for one thing make it easier to report targets, and will unclutter the map.I can probably also display a UI during the mission (not sure about the briefing phase).

Still, I like the mission.

Lost Squad

Yeah, I cheated somewhat. I immediately knew where we were, and I knew that Devil's Castle was on top of the hill to the south (during the mission, I always kept saying Castle Black - I read too much "a song of ice and fire" I guess).

I guess part of the problem in this mission was that some people didn't react/move and we had some issues orientation, plus some technical issues (I remember someone saying "Drop your weapon and pick it up again"). The major problem though was the fact that the choppers dropped like flies. Etzu was immediately hit by an Igla (it's ridiculous how fast the AI pilots operate the flares - a human can't do that). Unnamed got his tail rotor shot of, and so was the last chopper (Den's?). I don't really know why it went so fast. We weren't very exposed, but as far as I could see we did not have gunship support which could have taken off a lot of heat from the other choppers.

I do think it should be possible to time the arty strike correctly so that it gets the convoy too. It doesn't seem to have a long flying time, and the convoy slows down when they pass the fuel depot.

At the high priest we were discovered too early I guess, putting us into a situation were we only could react and not act. That put us at a disadvantage.
co@12_ck_fishfingers

once on the beach we geared up at the Ammo crate an were on our way to our OP  after we had a look at the airfield we tried to set up for an attack but were engaged in the process, but quickly overcame the attackers an ran for the airfields outer wall. at the airfield we coordinated with bravo clearing the airfield. clearing the way through the town we made our way to the next compound, we covered the outer area while bravo moved in to clear the hangar and destroy the APC inside. once the APC was destroyed we moved on on top of the hills. after a few moments we were pinned down by a sniper. I tried to suppress him after I had a visual but ran for cover when told the third time and popped smoke for the wounded (of which there were three at that moment and we had lost Variable). Bravo soon got the sniper and moved in to destroy the radar while we covered the area from the next hill.

the mission is missing in the servers log, the french one

I disconnected early in the mission because I had problems with my addons (seems like the athena mod I installed that day was messing with the other mods). after I reconnected I somehow became Pilot instead of copilot.
As ordered by Alias I let the snipers and black team disembark on the shore below the castle of cavala and then landed the chopper inside the castle and tried to join up with the team on the entrance of the castle (maybe we should just all disembarked inside the castle) outside the castle I almost walked into a Patrol wich I was able to take out without them seeing me. when we finally were regrouped we started our way into the city, but after just 2 streets the mission was accomplished and we made our way back towards the castle and the chopper, where we finally found the gear for the snipers we had not been able to find earlier.

co@15_prison_break

another great mission Alias.

Following Aliases lead the partisans moved to the corner of the prosion hiding in the bushes behind two wooden sheds. there we waited for the promised NATO SF team to cut open the fence and lead us to freedom. once outside the sewers we moved op the hilland after the sf team had a short firefight we were able to steal weapons and vehicles from a checkpoint at the bridge. when we had moved about half a kilometer the SF team noticed they had lost a man, they moved back trying to help him, but he was dead before they got to him. when the SF regrouped with us we made a dash for the coast. when we reached the coast the ghost hawk picked us up and the SF team blew up the vehicles.

co@12_return_with_a_vengeance

that was quite a funny concept for a mission event though these short barreled revolvers seem a bit too powerfull and precise and the sniper in the end was a bit too clueless
We tried to move for the ATVs but got too close to the first objective to not attack it, unfortunately when we moved in enemy reinforcements showed up. these were quickly killed, but when trying to clear the leaders hut we had our first losses. afterwards we moved on towards the ATVs and stole one for each of us (what a view xD). we moved on towards the second compound, variable cleared the first building single handedly  from which he ordered us to clear two more buildings, unfortunately  while we were moving across the area between the buildings a enemy squad showed up taking a few of our guys (including me) out.
it was quite fun to watch what happened afterwards especially when the last two guys went towards the truck next to a very badly trained sniper, which they luckily spotted and killed before the sniper had the chance to kill them.

co11_operation_red_tiger_night_version

looked like a nice mission even though I was dead pretty soon
after a plan was agreed upon variable and I moved out in the blackfoot to scout the area and start engaging the enemys to try and soften up the enemys resistance. once we had a view we started engaging targets at the radar complex and thought we had, after taking a few hits, killed the AA vehicle. after seemingly killing the AA we moved a bit closer and went higher for a gun run. unfortunately when the thread warning went off I was a bit slow in my reaction, only deploying flares and breaking away only after one or two extra seconds which probably led to us taking a hit. due to the rough terrain an autorotation landing was impossible and we joined the other chopper pilots in the afterlife for watching the rest of the mission.
it was quite funny to see how after he noticed that everyone else was dead flashpoint moved back to the hunter and then singlehandedly killed more than half of the remaining enemys(about 30) before he was unluckily killed. it's a shame that the grenades were so awfully ineffective.

Alias missions

Afterthe coop night alias asked me if I could test some of his missions with him, I got to tell you they looked awesome everything else we will see when we play them
Hide and Seek

there was some intel in the second hangar(?) it showed up when I aproached the pc and used the option "show screen"

[Image: 1024x576.resizedimage]

Battle of Cavala

Wow was I bad in the beginning of the mission, first i accidentaly threw a grenade and killed someone, then the clearly visible enemy APC turns out to be the friendly APC. ouch  Sad .

after that I was able to take out one  Ifrit before I was shot down.  Luckily the crewmen of the APC I disabled were close and rescued me. I joined up with them  having disabled both our vehicles (yeay -.- ). I looted some weapons and off we were to our first objective, the HQ. Here we encountered some resistence wich mostly was quckly taken care of exept for the ones in the apartement complex. luckily the other team gave us a hand with the apartement complex, first trying to blow the whole thing up (alway to be prefered to clearing a building) and then clearing it. we split up again and were sent to take the supply area. we did our best not to blow up the fuel truck here (well... only after we noticed there was a fence blocking our RPGs we noticed that maybe we shouldn't blow it up anyways) while we were trying to get to the soldiers inside the supply compund we noticed an Ifrit in the next street on which we lined up our two RPGs firing two rockets quickly hitting and destroying the Ifrit before it was able to react. after clearing and looting the supplypoint (50 KG are okay if you only walk short distances in the city  ;D ) we joined the other team an the LZ. when there was nothing to do for us we set out to track down and kill the Ifrit we could hear.. and then another and another before the mission was ended.
I had this in one of my missions (All Saints). Check the bottom of the whiteboard:

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/f...=403147708

Smile
co@12_ck_fishfingers
(04-03-2015, 12:50 PM)UnNamedGER link Wrote:after a few moments we were pinned down by a sniper. I tried to suppress him after I had a visual but ran for cover when told the third time and popped smoke for the wounded (of which there were three at that moment and we had lost Variable).
That was a good mission. That marksman was well positioned and opened fire when we were in the open with no cover. Killing some of us was fair game. In retrospect, suppressing him might have been better than retreating, but I had no idea where he was.
I spectated Bravo while they assaulted the comm tower. That MG gunner really had you guys pinned, but the wise thing to do was to lay down suppressive fire and flank him. That could have been ideal because the terrain was sloped to his right and allowed a flanking unit to flank while in cover all the way to him. Eventually, Freeman flanked and shot him but that was only after he fended you off twice. 
Good job everybody, all performed well in this mission.

co@15_prison_break

(04-03-2015, 12:50 PM)UnNamedGER link Wrote:another great mission Alias.
that was a good read, thanks unnamed. As Doveman and I were in the Blackfoot, I didn't really know what went on with the ground team. Covering you guys while you ran away was cool, but until then we just took out some random targets.

co@12_return_with_a_vengeance
That was a cool mission and I enjoyed it very much. CQC with pistols is something we see too rarely in Arma. No revive script also fit in since the mission was rather simple and short.
One of the cool moments in this mission was detecting the enemy reinforcements while they moved through the high grass. That was scary!

co11_operation_red_tiger_night_version
(04-03-2015, 12:50 PM)UnNamedGER link Wrote:after a plan was agreed upon variable and I moved out in the blackfoot to scout the area and start engaging the enemys to try and soften up the enemys resistance. once we had a view we started engaging targets at the radar complex and thought we had, after taking a few hits, killed the AA vehicle.
The air assets are essential to this mission given the resistance at the objective. Next time we will know what to do!