Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10-31-2014, 01:34 AM)Varanon link Wrote:I was about to write something, but I have to admit I don't want to. This was for me the worst Coop night of all times, and I'd rather forget it happened.

Also, remind me to never take the leader slot again.

Sorry for the rant.

I'm saving the debriefing for later but just wanted to point out that you shouldn't think like that Varanon. We all have bad days. We know your value, take it easy. Also Wolfpack missions really left a bad impression on me.
The last few coop nights I didn't really enjoy, especiall when leading. I will probably not join for a few weeks...
(10-31-2014, 03:42 AM)Varanon link Wrote:The last few coop nights I didn't really enjoy, especiall when leading. I will probably not join for a few weeks...

Sorry to hear that Varanon. Hope you're not going to be gone for too long
(10-31-2014, 03:42 AM)Varanon link Wrote:The last few coop nights I didn't really enjoy, especiall when leading. I will probably not join for a few weeks...

Aw, don't do that, we'd miss you. Maybe just take a break from leading for a few weeks if that's what you're finding stressful at the moment. I'm sure the rest of us can step up and take the leader's slots between us, so that you can have a break for a while.

The missions were particularly frustrating last night anyway, too long, too much walking/swimming and in some cases, like the one I tried to lead (Operation Orpheus Phase 1), too damn hard!

Avengence Needle

I enjoyed the first half of this, having one team flanking to the other side of the road whilst the other team covered and took out the sniper overlooking the road, then ambushing the vehicles as they arrived. For the latter part there were just too many tanks to take care of I think. After taking out two of them from the position we'd cleared, we came under fire and it was obvious we didn't have very good cover and we had to pull back to re-arm with AT rockets anyway. Perhaps if we'd had a full squad all with ATs and hidden in the trees by the side of the road, we'd have been able to ambush them but we didn't know how many were coming until it was too late and then had to get back to the trucks to re-arm, so we probably couldn't have got set up in time for an ambush. Knowing what to expect now though, perhaps once we've cleared the second position, we could send half the squad back to grab launchers/rockets and set up to ambush, whilst the rest take out the first couple of tanks and quickly retreat, luring the remaining tanks into the ambush.
I noticed again in Tank Busters how much I dislike the revive scripts like BTC or Faook (spelling?) - you just can't freaking die at all. The only way to fail is having all people shot at the same time. It makes the whole experience comic, also because healing is almost zero time. Psycho's is not perfect, but it is loads better than this, and I rather have no revive than any of that stuff.

(edit pressed submit too quickly -_-)

Avenging Needle
I guess things worked out quite well with the ambush the second time around. The whole of the convoy getting stuck is one of the annoying "features" of Arma. The mission has potential to become really good, but the tanks were too much IMO. See my proposals in the appropriate thread.
[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co12_avengence_needle[/color]

Went better on second try, I guess we got baited into that armor by trying to find the stuck vehicles. I think we could have taken them on, but with no backpacks to carry extra missiles its really hard, but that's an issue for missing design.

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co13_operation_orpheus_phase_1[/color]

Don't think this mission was made for a no-respawn kind of play, because every asset respawns and you're also put against larger forces (Heavy AA vs. Littlebirds anyone?).

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co14_wolfpack_vol1_day05_bullseye[/color]

I think this one went well until we were ordered to regroup on "bravo" marker, it was an open spot and one or two CSAT lone guys shot us all to shit. I watched on spectator thermal, the entire town had about a dozen lone riflemen running around. I think waypoints in urban terrain should be buildings.

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co14_wolfpack_vol2_day06_riga_hill[/color]

The roadside trip should have been its own mission. alwarren's Titan missile didn't seem to have locked onto the Marid and Alpha paid the consequences. I completely forgot that we shot an RPG gunner at Panochori while we were still there, could have used it, but then I remembered bodies were cleaned up.  >Sad

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co@05_tank_busters[/color]

I think farooq's revive was present because enemies had the killing abilities of a Terminator. At the very end, me, Valhalian and Misha all died due to two enemy guys, one shot Valhalian with 2-3 rounds and the other fired a GP25 and I shot him before it landed between Misha and me and took us out. We stayed alive while we were far enough, but the fight over that guard post hilltop wouldn't have been possible if we all didn't have more lives than cats.

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co04_otl7_sleepy_hill[/color]

Almost made it through the attack. I'll update this one, because the friendly reinforcements are not aggressive enough.
Avengance Needle
Very nice job everyone, on the second attempt we wiped them out so fast they didn't know what hit them. Suddenly it was all quiet and they were all gone. I think the last time we used SMGs was last year on one of Outlawz' missions. Your idiot leader said in confidence that the trucks are stuck on rocks eastwards on the dirt roads junction. It didn't occur to him that they might be full with infantry. Good thing we all got there together. I'm glad we did because the infantry battle that ensued there was very nice, I loved it. The ending with all those tanks was actually fitting the guerrila theme of the mission. I say we beat it Smile

Wolfpack Day 5 - Bullseye
I don't believe this is possible without getting detected. IRL this mission would have been given to an intelligence organization. One CIA operative would have made a much better job than three fucking armed to the teeth SEAL teams. Nonetheless, the decision to regroup on the Bravo point was wrong, I did that because I spotted an Ifrit and wanted to regroup and find another route. That didn't work out too well. Point taken regarding WP on buildings next time we are sent to an urban mission.

Wolfpack Day 6 - Rigga HillValhalian receives the CiA medal of honor on this one. He managed to sneak up to the Marid, place a charge, set a 40 seconds timer and made sure the mission will continue before he got spotted and died. Awesome shit Val!
We could have used the boat to bombard the radar as well, I wonder if it had enough GMG ammo to take it down. When I moved to help Outlawz and CO I got spotted and shot. It was actually a cool mission, I liked it.

Tank BustersOutlawz, what does Farook revive has with AI being terminators? In any case, it was an entertaining mission with lots of shooting, which is sometimes nice, eventhough the comical (I think Alwarren has coined a term here) cycles of revives.

(11-01-2014, 11:49 AM)Variable link Wrote:
Tank Busters Outlawz, what does Farook revive has with AI being terminators?

You'll get shot in the head and eat launched grenades, so it's in to help you make it anywhere at all, at least that was my impression.
Leper Island
I'm glad we played this one at night. We did good until those suicide bombers rushed us twice, killing all but HK. It was still nice to spectate and see how you guys barely managed to stop the bomb-boats from destroying the civilian vessels. Fun mission, too bad a lot of us died early.

LZ Under Fire
Great mission! That was so intense on the ground, I recommend you the pilots to give the ground team a shot next time. It's the first ever mission I played that is impossible to beat without effective CAS. I really look forward to playing it again.

Tips for the JTAC operator for this mission (and for any other mission that involves CAS):
  • If you don't have an LR have the pilot/s change their SR radio frequency to yours. Consider grabbing your leader's LR radio (good idea Etzu).
  • Keep marking enemy targets on the map and delete markers of enemies that have been destroyed, if your unit is on the move make sure to update your own position. Make sure to constantly update the markers.
  • Make use of smoke shells for dangerously close targets (preferably coloured ones) and better acquire a grenade launcher to mark longer ranged targets.
  • Mark targets with laser designator, but remember that the jet/gunship will probably not need a laser mark to engage vehicle targets with missiles, so use that for GBU bomb runs or for marking infantry concentrations.
Drop Down Selakano
Well, that was a fine lesson on how a single negligent discharge can fuck up a whole mission Smile
For next time - pack up both teams with all the available RPG launchers and with maximum number of HE and AT missiles. in addition, take some explosives and plan to ambush the patrolling Ifrits. Once these are destroyed, it should be a walk in the park.

Clean Sweep III
Fun mission! Good job both teams. A moment to remember - running through the open field while our MG gunners suppress that guard tower. That was cool Smile
*Excuse if I got names wrong*

Really bad night and unlucky night for me.

Team Exercise on Stratis
Got about 100 m into the forest. Enemy starts to shoot us. Got head shotted and insta-died at the beginning.
Unlucky, Probably won't happen again, right?

Clean Sweep 3.
Got to the very first tower. Got head shotted and insta-died again at the beginning.
Preety unlucky now lol.

Political Insecurity? (Hostage Rescue)
Finally a mission where i didn't die 2 minutes in, Good fun for a stealth mission. Chopper tried taking it off but we managed to HE. I thought i shot it, but after reviewing the footage it appears to be OutlawZ (0:48) who did that. Good hit to him. Good mission overall, went well.

Helicopter take-down footage with my magical eye camera [size=0.7em](shadowplay)[/size].
*poor shooting*

I would love to record more but I don't have the upload speed to upload them (Even this 1 minute clip took like 15 minutes to upload) Sad .

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co10_otl7_dd_selakano[/color]

That misfire was like something out of a sitcom for me.

"Ah, it's only one shot"

"Welp, the enemy heard it, guess we'll start early"

"Oh crap here comes the Ifrit patrol"

"Damn, Variable died somewhere with the only RPG, I'll just shoot the turret and hope it won't be able to engage me"

*3 belts later*

"Dammit, that GMG turret should be offline by now"

*spectator mode*

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co10_stratis_teamwork_exercise[/color]

I think we should use the Arsenal at start and bring more ammo next time, I kept running out. I guess we shouldn't take the frontal route towards that hill. There didn't seem to be any patrols on flanks, because I led my guys around and sneaked up on the hilltop but then got hit because the second objective was right on our six.
Tongue

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co@06_politicalissues[/color]

Wrong silencer and no IR pointer for the leader, hope that's not the default loadout for those massi units.  Tongue
I was cautious at first, but the enemy AI were in underpants and couldn't even find the broad side of the barn, let alone hit it. I liked the friendly reinforcement that came with the extraction heli, one thing I haven't thought of yet.  ;D
(11-04-2014, 12:12 AM)Outlawz7 link Wrote:That misfire was like something out of a sitcom for me.

"Ah, it's only one shot"

"Welp, the enemy heard it, guess we'll start early"

"Oh crap here comes the Ifrit patrol"

"Damn, Variable died somewhere with the only RPG, I'll just shoot the turret and hope it won't be able to engage me"

*3 belts later*

"Dammit, that GMG turret should be offline by now"

*spectator mode*

This could be nice for comic strip Smile Too bad i wasn't there.
Thursday was a fine game! Thanks for all the mission makers and all participants, it was a blast.

Operation Burning Sand
That was a suicide mission. Going like that uphill, in broad daylight is not possible without getting detected and from that point it becomes hopeless. I think we did what we can, does anyone have any idea of what could have been done better?

Road Song
Felt like an American administration nightmare and that means it was good Smile Good job to my team - Varanon, Ghost and Knight that kicked ass in this one.

Bad Moon Rising
Jewel of the night. All teams performed admirably. I loved how Gold team was very effective from the castle's tower! They covered us a significant chunk of the road. I made a terrible mistake by sending them up the hill, I should have ordered the much stronger Knights' team - Team green to clear it first and only then send Gold's sniper team to cover the assault on the checkpoint. Two great moments for me were attacking the bug patrol by Gold team's long range fire and my teams suppressed weapons, and attacking the second checkpoint. At the second checkpoint it was frightening because the enemy counter attacked while were weren't completely ready and was very aggressive. Good job everybody in fending them off.

Versus episode 6 - Operation Semideus Rabiosus
Loved both attempts! Hearing those AAF Hellcats approaching is really pumping the blood. Good job all who participated, too bad I couldn't get Derelictus team to the extraction point safely...

We played some more missions and they were good as well, I just don't have anything special to say about them PSmile
Big Bird Down

I hope you guys enjoy the quick warm up. I might make more short warm up stuff like these for a little morale boost (maybe some attack too instead of just hold off) plus they're easy and quick for the short amount of time I have sometimes nowadays.

Wetworks

Sounds like you guys at NATO had fun. AAF objectives was a bit long and unnecessary. The other objectives are easier than the airport anyways, but we were low on guys. Before I get to that, on the hill, I think it is best if you are communicating for longer period of time on LR to try in cover and have the rest of the team form a 360 defense parameter. There's a lone soldier who snuck up into our formation at close range and probably kill 2-3 guys in the team. Team leader down then the medic immediately shot afterwards. Also I think some people need to unmap their push to talk and VON keys, hearing constant really heavy breathing while VON lock is irratating, especially when it won't talk. Also making sure you have MK4 HUD up and load out weight stuff or whatever required addon that is required would be helpful... For the mortars, killing the guys isn't enough, you got to shoot them too. After losing a few guys from the lone soldiers, I have to take Etzu's long range. No medic + few guys left means I'll have to be more cautious too. Then on the way to the airfield, we attack from the south, we approach up and theres like 2 full squads of soldiers near each other 75-125 meters away. Overshooting formation was dangerous too... at that point we had casaulties so the bait and lure the enemies to gwnbleidd to snipe didn't work out since a person overshot from the formation. It was the only safe way to take them from the South since we can't watch down on them since we're at lower elevation with a ridge in the way, NATO as i spectate attacked from the North. Anyways, after the first casualty, no medic, low on FAKs, that went to hell for AAF.

- Anyways, I think just the airport for AAF and NATO default missions is enough for that mission. Keep the distance equivalent.

- My views on super long missions:
          - Long and fun are fine like I forgot that one german mission name where you're guerillas but actions throughout and FHQ mission (crap can't think it up from the top of my head at the moment in chernarus as I type this).... the thing about long missions are that, if things goes wrong in the making of the mission or bad design choices or it was just unnecessary, it can easily be more frustrating. Not to mention, they're much harder to debug and take longer to test editing wise to make up for the longer playtime with lower reward unless established properly. It gets ambitious and requires more tests and well done choices to make perfect. I think more short missions are better than long, not that all longs are bad, its just the ratios of time of what should be play at what times too. Its more frustrating when something goes wrong with hours on in.
Wetworks
NATO team deployed through SDVs. We have to ditch them and swim through the minefield to get ashore since the minefield was dense with different kinds of mines; some on the surface, some at the bottom, and some right in the middle. That was a nice experience!
We fought through some patrols and arrived to the medical station that was right in the middle of the swamp. The team fought like lions and it was great to be a part of that, good job everyone! We attacked it three times, each time from a different direction, losing Kruge in the process.
The best part was working closely with the UAV operator - Outlawz. He gave us real time, high resolution intelligence to the point of "the guy is hiding behind a shed, to its east, recommend you attack from the west". The information was accurate to the meter, and I think a lot of credit for the successful attack goes to Outlawz, that was some pro shit man.
One word of request - if the leader is peaking at the corner, don't get passed his shoulder unless ordered to!
I think NATO, overall, had a fine experience, I hope the AAF had some nice moments too!