Comrades in Arms Discussion Board

Full Version: The Debriefing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Man of Faith

Another mission to try to beat that 3 hour Big Grin . I find it fun for a long mission. Sorry if I don't notice the LR comms sometimes when I try to listen to the SR comms at the same time, I'm not too good with multi-listening multi-tasking. The house with the .50 cal that was pinning Bravo was a good cover for a bit until the enemy start to overrun us a bit until we have to fall back. It was working well for the moment to take over the .50 cal to pin them down until it was time to move out. Seems like bravo expended the rockets to take down one of the AA. We took out the other AA from the airport after. Alwarren disabled both Merkervas. Don't know what happen at the end of the mission but it was bugged with no chopper? Well another one of those very long mission complete.
Man of Faith

I think we could have been more aggressive in places. Obviously, the success makes it more or less a mood point, but part of the reason why the mission took so long was also because we spent a long time in the town without moving.

One thing that annoyed me, though, was the team leader taking over an AT shot. I had one job on this, namely anti-tank, so I should be taken that shot. As a team leader, I always try to make people use their roles, even if I have to step back from something, and this was one of these moments. It also didn't make sense for the team leader to take that shot because it could have easily ended with the shooter dead if the rocket didn't hit.

Zero

Not much to say. Under the competent and charismatic leader, this mission was bound to be a success. Good job on the execution. Too bad we lost Variable.

Alcyon

I have the feeling that the diversion, albeit successful, didn't really have the effect it was supposed to have, namely drawing off the boats. Still, it was one of those moody experiences that you keep in your memory.

A general word

One thing that annoyed me here was getting teamkilled. I don't mind a bit of goofing around at the end, but things went way over the top here. 

Stop shooting at the end of each mission. I can see that being okay when we are playing Taliban and fire our AK's into the sky at the end, but in this case, so many people shooting inside a fucking building was bound to hit someone, in that case me. I have no clue who did that, and it doesn't matter. Just stop it. I feel like putting an enemy team close to the extraction just so that the shooting attracks them.

Refrain from dropping 150 smoke grenades, or all the chemlights that you have. This happened in the first and the third mission.

I play this game for the experience. That may include waiting at a certain point for regrouping. I like to think of that as a tense moment and I do not like to have that spoiled by nonsense like that.
Very good missions tonight.  I agree the smoke near-ish the end of a few missions was annoying and unnecessary.

Glad we finally finished Man of Faith (or at least, as close as we could).  Zero was also a good mission, well executed and everything task-wise worked flawlessly.

Somewhat off-topic:  I was getting a weird issue where after 30-45 min or so into a mission, my framerate would drop to 10-15 FPS (literally, not exaggeration) whenever I moved the mouse.  If I was still, the framerate returned to normal.  No idea what is causing that, I guess it's either got to be the 1.32 patch or TFAR, since those are the only things that changed since last week and I haven't updated any drivers or anything like that.  Anyway, my point is that if I was ineffective/distracted at any point during Man of Faith or Zero, that was why.  I restarted the game later in Man of Faith because it was bugging me so much (it was literally becoming unplayable), and that seemed to fix the problem, but it cropped up again in Zero.
[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co16_fhq_a_man_of_faith[/color]

Took two hours, but it was worth it. Didn't lose anyone in Bravo even though when we were taking out the first AA, it fired several times on us, destroying the walls around us. After the second AA blew up, we pulled back under a hail of enemy fire and just in time as the tanks reached Feres and almost got us.
I'm pretty sure Charlie saved us as they were right outside Bravo all hid in. Still had some opposition taking the fuel station and refuelling the UAV, but after that the enemy was mostly gone. Too bad the extraction didn't work.

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co12_zero[/color]

Was fun, instant action from the start, I dare say somewhat too easy as the enemy bunched up in small groups and we had silencers.

[color=rgb(85, 85, 85)]co10_pmcvcro04_alcyon[/color]

Time pressure!  Tongue 
On first attempt I lead my team slowly to the boats and waited for Variable's team to take the CDP. We watched the patrol boat patterns and two times they were all on the east side of Cap Makrinos, making it safe to cross. When we got the message that the helicopters will be here in 5 minutes, I decided to risk it and just take the boats and race across the strait. We got the the AA position in time, but there was a squad of enemies behind the lighthouse and 3 of us were down, with the AI back at the lighthouse since I thought he would be a risk (read: move too slow and probably fire on the enemy boats), so we couldn't clear it and prepare the AA in time.

On second attempt I had a full team and we just ran towards the boats, waited for the boats to move away and raced across again. We took both boats on the first attempt to minimize the risk of everyone getting killed in the same boat, I didn't think the other team would ever have a chance to join us on the island, sorry.
We cleared the AA position, but lots of stragglers were still running around, almost missing the helicopters again, thankfully Etzu got on the .50 and I grabbed an AA Titan in time.

As a side note, when we got to the AA position, the launcher boxes had AA as well as AT Titans in them, I guess we could have all went to the island, clear it on time and use them against the boats.

Man of Faith
I'm not so sure how was it for you guys? I see that Maverick had a good time, what about the rest? I know for sure that Den and Unnamed were somewhat bored and I take responsibility for that. I should have let Den control the UAV and not do it myself - mistake no.1. I hope you guys had some fun later on when I decided it's time to be less careful.
I think Bravo and Charlie made an excellent job. That goes to all team members but especially for Phantom and Outlawz that managed to preserve their teams while taking down lots of enemy! Great job Charlie team for taking out the tanks, and saving Alpha when it got hit by the Hunter.
We had lots of communication problems, I think the latest version of TFAR is not stable yet. At one point Den could not hear me although he was on the right channel, and I think Outlawz and Phantom also missed some messages (apart from those that were transmitted while they were listening/talking to their subordinates).
In such complex and long missions we should have everybody set an alternate channel that listens to the command net. I usually prefer to avoid it because it has a potential for people messing up their frequencies and hear nothing at all, but taking even five minutes to sort everybody out would have been worth it for such a mission because people were not aware their team leaders are speaking or listening to the LR frequency. I wish nkey will implement the feature we propose to him to set the alternate channel automatically...
Mistake no.2 for me was to be overly confident with the positions of the AA tanks I spotted in my Darter UAV run. I should have ranged Unnamed mortar rounds while I still had the UAV on station or ask Outlawz to correct my shots. Instead, I just ordered Unnamed to blast a small radius around the northern AA marker which was off enough for all the fucking mortar rounds to miss. Stupid ass leader. Luckily you guys saved the day and took it out.
I'm not sure we were  moving slow. We were constantly engaged and there's a good chance that leaving Feres earlier would have ended in our demise.

Zero
Too bad we lost Variable? Fuck Variable. I took out a Marshal while dying, that's a good tradeoff, and I was pleased Smile

Alcyon
Another wonderful mission. At the first attempt we did a wonderful diversion and inserted three of our operators close the the enemy while it was busy dealing with Den's and Yakir's suppression fire. I love it when the enemy is fully concentrated on one side and we shoot him from up close from the other side! On the second attempt the diversion would have worked had Alpha waited a bit longer for us to destroy the CDP tank. I'm all for switching sides next time and play it again as the two teams had a completely different mission! Smile
(10-20-2014, 11:12 AM)Variable link Wrote:Man of Faith
I'm not so sure how was it for you guys? I see that Maverick had a good time, what about the rest? I know for sure that Den and Unnamed were somewhat bored and I take responsibility for that. I should have let Den control the UAV and not do it myself - mistake no.1. I hope you guys had some fun later on when I decided it's time to be less careful.

I at least had fun.
I think I should point out that "fun" for me doesn't mean having constant enemy engagements. As I pointed out repeatedly, I play for the experience. For that, the main thing I expect from a mission is that it is involving. By that I mean that I am interested in both the mission's subject matter as well as its execution. For Man of Faith this is the case.

For example, while I liked Zero, I felt kind of bored in it, even though it was a very short mission. The setup itself didn't greatly appeal to me, no time to set up, the unimaginative "clear area1" goals, the red-green areas made it all a bit gamey.

I might be alone with this notion. TBH, a while ago I had thought about making a patrol mission were you would have to walk, not run, along a route in Zargabad, having to deal mostly with smaller problems, like occasional car accidents, domestic problems, and maybe an ambush by insurgents. I realized though that most people would find this boring, so I never did it.

What I am trying to say here is that the setting of a mission and my involvement in it for me is worth more than action. I am fine with finishing a mission without a single shot. But I guess I am alone with that.

Quote:We had lots of communication problems, I think the latest version of TFAR is not stable yet. At one point Den could not hear me although he was on the right channel, and I think Outlawz and Phantom also missed some messages (apart from those that were transmitted while they were listening/talking to their subordinates).

I am not entirely sure about this. I think a lot of our comms problems are man-made, people just not replying or ignoring the comms.I don't doubt there are some issues with TFAR, though.

Quote:I'm not sure we were  moving slow. We were constantly engaged and there's a good chance that leaving Feres earlier would have ended in our demise.

I think we should have moved around more, not necessarily advanced but relocated. At one point Charlie was about to get overrun (when we lost sandb0x), and I urged to have us move to a different position because they knew were we were and were clearly flanking us. I don't think it is a good idea for a team leader to stick to their assigned point under these circumstances. It doesn't necessarily mean moving forwards towards the danger, but rather stay mobile and not get rooted to a specific point.

Quote:Zero
Too bad we lost Variable? Fuck Variable. I took out a Marshal while dying, that's a good tradeoff, and I was pleased Smile

Good way to go, eh? Smile
(10-20-2014, 11:43 AM)Alwarren link Wrote:I at least had fun.

Me too! Just like you guys I don't need constant action for me to enjoy the game. Though I suspect most of the members and regulars at least to an extent feel the same way.

Man of Faith

It may have taken long, most of all for those unfortunate enough to die earlier in the mission, but it was a great experience. Especially when the tanks were closing in. I can't blame the leaders for being cautious. Too many times I have seen how rash decisions and not being prepared get people killed (in the game at least  Smile ). When our squad was defending the town we didn't have too much idle time. We were almost constantly engaged... Miscommunication is something that's hard to avoid. I myself have often trouble absorbing all the info that is coming at you, especially when one is leading. As for the smoke at the end I agree that was too much. Also too bad the mission didn't end on its own. For me though, it was one of the best missions I took part in.

Zero

The mission was well lead, though was not all that exciting for me due to us being tasked with clearing only a small rather unpopulated area. Well at least I got to blow up stuff in the end :big thumbs up: =)

Alcyon
First try was a bit hectic, because when we got to the boats we realized we might not have enough time to take the point and down the choppers. The second try when we knew what to do, I ran a hundred meters and then everything went black. Power out  ;D = off to bad for me
Regarding Man of Faith, please report any problems/experiences/comments on the mission release thread.

Also, I would appreciate a comment/thumbs up on the workshop page.

For those that felt bored, please let me know what you think could have been done better. Thanks.
Man of faith
-Good mission albeit quite long. Sadly i died mid way and didn't get to assault airfield or fuel station. Quite good although 1 of the mortar carriers has to sit around waiting for their turn at the mortar but that's the job. No complaints from me.

Zero
-Really liked the small engagements at the airfield. Smaller missions are very fun and was a good change after the longer mission above. Went well as planned with minimal casualties.

Alcyon
-Another great small team mission. First attempt went bad because we didn't have or weren't aware of explosives. Second attempt went smoother and the CDP was destroyed in no time. Hope the team assaulting the island had a good time too. Choppers were destroyed and another successful mission.

Overall we had successful night with not much failure.  8)
(10-20-2014, 11:12 AM)Variable link Wrote:Man of Faith

It was no problem honestly, I even had to go afk for some minutes during the beginning so I didn't miss anything. I'm more upset at my failure and dying to the stupid hunter 2x and ending permadead.
Since I'm home now, I'll post up on why I made certain decisions during Man of Faith even if they weren't the most sensible and in terms of communications.

First on comms, there were probably many times when I miss the LR from Variable. Sometimes I'll choose the listen to the LR more, sometimes the SR, depending on the situation. If my team is underfire or there's some threat that sounds like I must listen to over the SR, my ear is more focus on the SR as the LR go so I'll miss a few information. Say I hear tank incoming and its direction over the SR while at the same time, there might be something over the LR (I won't catch that, the tank is a bigger threat that can jeopardize things). Its a lot of pressure when 2 comms go at the same time in a heated situation, so I'll choose which has more danger warnings. I believe alternate channels would help though in case things can get quite hectic. Though in such situation, I'll listen to subcoordinates instead of the LR since danger lurks near or its quite heated.

The AT shot, over LR, got to get the job done, don't know where, don't know when, I had to make a decision and I was being indecisive, so I just choose a rash one base on what is on my mind at the moment. Its a stationary target, so easier to hit, theres a fence, I fear a fail shot, Alwarren can take it out, but there are tanks too according to task, if tanks come, I'd figure it'd be better if Alwarren had more missiles leftover on him than myself that I salvage from dead AT soldier in case worse situations come, he'd be a better shooter than I am. Mainly the fence, I assume if hit the fence in which it didn't, Alwarren can make the second shot in case I fail, I'm prepare to die if AA shoots (though I'd run to the walls first), the non AT guys should be in a safe spot. Well the tanks did come in which Alwarren disable them.

Maybe my decision isn't the most sensible, but time doesn't wait for me to make one. I'm not playing a grand strategy game with a pause button or things move slowly after all.
(10-21-2014, 07:12 AM)Phantom link Wrote:First on comms, there were probably many times when I miss the LR from Variable. Sometimes I'll choose the listen to the LR more, sometimes the SR, depending on the situation.
That's ok, but try to spare a bit of attention to the LR, and if you are being engaged or in the middle of commanding your men, just reply "standby, engaged". This will let your commander know that you noticed his call, and he will know not to disturb you. Ignoring the LR transmissions is never a good idea.

(10-21-2014, 07:12 AM)Phantom link Wrote:Its a stationary target, so easier to hit, theres a fence, I fear a fail shot, Alwarren can take it out, but there are tanks too according to task, if tanks come, I'd figure it'd be better if Alwarren had more missiles leftover on him than myself that I salvage from dead AT soldier in case worse situations come, he'd be a better shooter than I am.

Sounds legit to me.
Never mind, not worth the discussion
The Rising Sun

This mission was an exercise in frustration for me. The fog kept disappearing and appearing for me, and I am not sure that the AI was subject to the same restrictions as we ere. In any case, nothing you can do on this mission than go slow - it doesn't make sense to blaze through it. The result is two and a half hours to the first objective. This mission is too long.

Another remark: Do not operate vehicles unless your team leader orders you to. Do not leave your team unless your team leader orders you to. Do not overtake your team leader. Stay in formation is a formation is ordered. In other words, listen to the orders of your team leader.

When Civilians Rescue

Well that one escalated quickly. The AI that was with us got wiped out in ten seconds, and I got shot half to shreds until I noticed there was a CSAT solider standing outside the house I was in. I was quickly taken out.

Ignis Greacis

My favorite mission of the evening, even though we only beat it by a narrow margin. It was pitch black and hard to see anything. We got detected and things when to hell pretty quickly since they had NVG's, and AI was cheating by clipping through walls. Yakir and me got out in the end, so score another for PMC Versus.

Shapur Assault

I am a real fan of IronDuke's missions, but this one is meh. Too many incoherent objectives, too many enemies (I checked, 200+), too much weight... and frankly, I greatly dislike the scope I have (this weird ACOG).

Varanon and me got diced by the 50cal... that ended my involvement in that mission.
Me, yakir and ALIAS completed co@04_zarg_patrol.zargabad.pbo after everyone left. I ticked it in the mission list.